Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2001 9:57:03 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the Daewoo rifle that is made in Korea in which the rifle combine the best attributes of the ar-15 and the ak-47 rifle and combine them into rifle.  Seems like this may be a great idea.  I understand that this rifle is currently in service in the Korean military.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The last time that they were imported they were called the DR-200 in .223 and the DR-300 in 7.62x39 you can still find them around but the prices are all over the place.
just my 0.02 Ron
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
And the various importers neglected to bring in ANY SPARE PARTS...
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Pro:
1. MOA accuracy out of the box.  I love drilling the centers out of clay pigeons at 200 yards.  I can shoot MOA all day with Federal 52gr match ammo.
2. Gas system much cleaner and adjustable.
3. Uses AR mags and some AR parts.
4. Great iron sights.

Con:
1. No, and I mean NO spare parts.  Some AR parts work (I will find the list and post).
2. 1 in 12" twist limits you to 55 grain ammo.

If you can get one cheap, go for it.  I enjoy mine a great deal.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
a buddy of mine likes his but he wants an AR he dosnt like the thumbhole.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I love mine and always thought it's gas system superior to the AR.

But, I've been shooting my AR for about 2 years now and hadn't touched the Daewoo, then I took it out last month and tried it out.  For the advantage of keeping the carbon out of the bolt and carrier assembly (using a gas piston) you sacrifice on recoil.  The DaeWoo recoil while less than the AK is certainly enough to take you off target for quick follow up shots.  And I'm sure on full auto it would be much less accurate than the M16A2.

I am sufficiently confident in my Bushy AK shorty that I think I would now chose it over the Daewoo if SHTF.  When engaging multiple targets at 100 yards, there is no beating the AR.

As for compatability, the Daewoo shares with the AR the hammer, trigger, hammer spring, trigger spring, and sear.  That's about it.

It's a great novelty, but I don't take it to the range that much as I can't replace anything should it break.  As a second rifle, great, if you can only get one, go with the AR.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn I love that rifle.  I had mine for sale, but then reconsidered after looking at it for awhile.  It is a really great rifle. Parts are a problem though.  I bought a spare bolt and firing pin to help me feel better about shooting it.

If your friend doesn't like the butthole stock, Ace Ltd. has US made stocks like mine below and US trigger parts - or get US AR trigger parts.  

[img]http://www.riflestocks.com/assets/images/010129-11.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a great rifle.  Why has'nt the U.S considered this option of the daewoo?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top