Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steyr,

You're a few years older than me, but DAMN, everytime you post one of these history lessons, you really take me back...

Your description of Halloween is spot-on to how it was when I was a kid.  Once I turned 12 or so, I could go out with my friends, and we were out at 12:30 looking for places that still had lights on (only a few by then), and often we'd get lucky, and they'd give us the rest of their candy bowl, since they hadn't seen any kids in an hour.

Of course, we spent weeks making (not buying; we couldn't afford to buy) our costumes, and they were pretty damn cool.

A couple years ago, I got 9 Asian kids, between 14-18 years old or so, who showed up at my door in sweatshirts and jeans, claiming "we're all Jackie Chan."  They nearly got the garden hose.

-Troy

Most fun I ever had was when my buddy and I tossed on our Kendo uniforms (keikogi, hakama and tabi), painted our faces white with evil Kabuki theater eyebrows and dyed our hair black and pulled it into a ponytail, tucked live katana into our belts and went out as Samurai.

Some older kids were jacking little kids for their candy. One of them made a run for us and I drew and sliced his bag open with one clean effortless movement and spilled candy everywhere. He kinda shit his pants. My buddy then drew and we chased them for about 3 blocks. They hauled ass despite being about 4 years older than us (quite the mean feat for 12 year olds).

WTF??!!!!!!!!

Most of it makes sense, some of it doesn't...The things red...Your buddy drew what?  I don't get the first thing in red...at all....

Drew his "katana" aka Samurai Sword.

Kendo = Japanese Fencing
Keikogi = Jacket
Hakama = Giant MC Hammer pants worn by Samurai
Tabi = Split toe shoes

I understood you too, I am just trying to picture some kid getting his candy back slashed with a Samurai sword, thats all.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The last fews years in my neighborhood about half of the kids had no costume at all.  They just had their damn bag ans opened it up.

My response:  "No costume, no candy."

CMOS

I don't really know how fair this would be.  Some of the families may not be able to afford buying costumes, especially if they have more than one child.  I don't remember it being called "costume or treat".  It is understandable if they are teenagers or adults pulling it, but I wouldn't be able to turn a kid away if they didn't have a costume.  I'm sure that we will have tons of trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood.  We just moved here so I am not sure.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#3]
In our subdivision, it's a big event.  The streets are full of large groups of kids trick-or-treating, each with a couple parents along with flashlights.  The houses are mostly decoreated as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes they do.  ANd since this is the first time I have a yard I plan on decorating.  I'll post pics.

My daughter is 11 so we are going out for candy.  My son is 17 so he has a girl coming over.

It will be anouther great american family holiday.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The last fews years in my neighborhood about half of the kids had no costume at all.  They just had their damn bag ans opened it up.

My response:  "No costume, no candy."

CMOS

I don't really know how fair this would be.  Some of the families may not be able to afford buying costumes, especially if they have more than one child.  I don't remember it being called "costume or treat".  It is understandable if they are teenagers or adults pulling it, but I wouldn't be able to turn a kid away if they didn't have a costume.  I'm sure that we will have tons of trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood.  We just moved here so I am not sure.  

Most of the kids who show up with no costumes are older kids who are too "cool" to dress up.  Last year a gaggle of 13-14 year-old girls showed up, yakking on cell phones and holding backpacks open for candy.  No costumes, just Abercrombie/Old Navy/whatever.  

OK, I was prepared for this.

I grabbed the other bowl and tossed a handful of beef bullion cubes in each of their backpacks.  No "thank you", just more cell phone yapping as them went to the next house.

I've always wondered if they thought "bullion" was a foreign type of candy.  I'm sure it was an eye opener for them later.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BS. Make a costume.

Grab a kitchen knife and say you are OJ. Just make some kind of effort.

Yeah I guess so...I guess you could always cut eyes out of a sheet and be a ghost.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Not since i stood on the porch handing out candy dressed as a Tactical officer, complete with real AR-15, the parents of said youth didn't think that was funny! Kids don't come to my house anymore!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if they do or not in my neighborhood. I always go out on halloween night so I don't have to deal with them if there are any.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top