BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]

*cue Twilight Zone music*

I really need to find better use for my time...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You've been smoking an ounce a week for the last couple of months - oh yeah.

Damn, Im screwed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was going through my Officer Basic Course at Ft. Lee in 1985-86, we were informed that at some point after 30 days, we would have a urinalysis.  Four months later, we were told one morning that the test would be that afternoon.  There were a few of my fellow officers who were very worried about whether they would pass.  They were asking if anyone remembered how long it took for it to clear their systems.  None of them failed the test, and I am pretty sure they had smoked pretty recently from what they said.

They thought I was a bitch because I didn't have a lot of sympathy for their problem.

There was also a dumbass from West Point in the class that followed mine, who had cocaine with him when he was participating in a field exercise.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a military physician.  

The answer is NO.

Second-hand inhalation will not cause you to be positive on a drug screen.

Don't chug the gallon of water either.  If your urine is too dilute, they won't run the test because that is a way to defeat the test by dilution.  You'll just have to give another sample.

Employment is typically based upon PASSING the test.  If they don't run the test, you don't pass the test.

C97
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if you do test positive, don't worry yet.  In the ten years we've been doing drug tests, we've had a tremendous number of false positives.  Not a one has tested positive on the follow-up test.  The follow-up test we do is a much more expensive and accurate test, so I trust it.  I've even failed the drug test a couple of times, and I've never even seen an illegal drug much less been around one.  I also failed one when I worked for a previous employer for cocaine use.  I've never even seen it or know for sure anyone else that has either.  The cheap tests are a joke.z
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
double-tap
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on what thresholds they consider for a positive test.  Second hand smoke may show in your test, but usually at a level so low that it wont be considered a positive test.  Probubly still not a good idea to sit in a closed up Honda civic with three guys hitting the bong.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do NOT, under any circumstances, mention that you were anywhere near anyone else smoking pot to anyone giving you a drug test...no good can possibly come from it.  

EXACTLY.
Talk about a red flag.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Even if you do test positive, don't worry yet.  In the ten years we've been doing drug tests, we've had a tremendous number of false positives.  Not a one has tested positive on the follow-up test.  The follow-up test we do is a much more expensive and accurate test, so I trust it.  I've even failed the drug test a couple of times, and I've never even seen an illegal drug much less been around one.  I also failed one when I worked for a previous employer for cocaine use.  I've never even seen it or know for sure anyone else that has either.  The cheap tests are a joke.z

That's why they send the rapid field test to the labs for futher test.  There the screens are performed by Immunoassay. This test is based on the biological interaction of an antibody with a drug and/or its metabolite. This test is sensitive to drug groups as opposed to a specific drug or its metabolite. It is good at detecting drugs when they are present but is subject to interference, which can result in false positives. Screen results must be confirmed in order to provide positive results and court testimony.

Confirmation testing is performed by Gas Chromatography with Mass Spectrum detection (GC/MS). This test is based on the physical and chemical properties of the specific drug or metabolite to be measured. Drug identification is achieved BOTH by chromatographic retention time and by Mass Spectrum, which is the "drug fingerprint." This test is very specific and robust with respect to interference. This confirmation test is legally defensible evidence of drug use.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Alrighty thanks for all the help guys! I'm not worried anymore. I should have the results back on tuesday so I'll be sure to keep you posted....

@ avatar "coincidence"
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Take a fist full of Advil the morning before you take your test. And don't forget to take some Contac or Sudafed for your allergies too!

Oh yeah, and make sure you've had a couple of poppy seed bagels for breakfast!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top