Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
1.44 in. for 36 yd.quote]

OK, a 2" target at 50 yards is the same as a 20" target at 500 yards.
And 36 yards is closer than 50 yards, therefore the same target should seem to be bigger when viewed at 36 yards than at 50 yards, correct?  But 1.44" is smaller than 2.00".  So how can that be?  My brain just turns to jelly whenever it comes to math.  I appreciate all your help with this, guys.

36yards is 25meters.

No.  36 yards is closer to 30M.  25M is 27.33 yards.  A meter is 8% longer than a yard.

Yup yer right, where the hell did i get 36 yards from????
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

36yards is 25meters.

No.  36 yards is closer to 30M.  25M is 27.33 yards.  A meter is 8% longer than a yard.

I see more math is required:  

36 yards = 32.92 meters

Mike note the 'Closer to' it was an approximation.  The 25M was an exact figure hence the use of 'is'.

Forest,

My 32.92 meters was just an approximate value as well.  I used 39.37inch per meter, which is only approximately correct.    :-)

P.S. - All in good fun, I hope.  Cheers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Plus drop of the bullet needs to be factored in...

No, it does not.

Once the range is known, the drop is adjusted with the elevation wheel.  Once that is set, one's hold on the target is no different if the target is 50 yards or 500 yards away.

Adjust for the drop of a 308 at 500 yards, than shoot a target at 50 holding dead on as if you were shooting at 500 and you will not touch the target.  When I shoot at 100 with my 308 and than make the roughly 2in adjustment for 200 yards(ok it's more like an inch and a half) and fire holding dead on as if I was shooting at 200 guess what, my bullet hits 2 inches higher than point of aim. While the hold may be no different the POA/POI will be different.

You still don't get it.  I never said shoot the 50 yard target with your 500 yard zero on, did I?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
None of this matters, because you can hit shit at 500yds based on how you shoot at 50 yds.  You have almost nothing to factor at 50 yds, no windage, elevation or climate/light.  Every month I get to meet another retard who shot a "good score" or "qualified Expert" in the military on a reduced course and can hit his ass with both hands on a bullseye course or farther than 100 yds.  Go shoot 500 yds already.  

Maybe not with a centerfire rifle.  But shooting the very tough ISSF 50 meter target reduced to 50 yards with a target rimfire (or better yet, an AR15A2 rimfire upper) will REALLY teach you how to shoot prone.  The combination of slow barrel time, plus wind sensitive bullets, plus very tight scoring rings will magnify every single error in your position.

Wanna learn to shoot wind?  Shoot a smallbore at 100 or 150 yards using either HP or reduced Palma targets.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
target software i use to print my own will convert your target to any distance you want

target express

on the m16a2 25m zeroing target i see that it refer back to ar15.com for sighting instructions.does the site get any revenue from the program or does ar15.com own the program?

the guy that made the software and sells it is or was  an industrial partner on arfcom
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top