Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
As stated, the technology has been around for years.  The "black boxes" are now being installed in vehicles.  Rental car companies are especially fond of them...for what should be pretty obvious reasons.  In that case...I don't see a problem.

The real issue is:  Who will be monitoring the data from these systems, and what will they be using it for?  I for one see no reason for Uncle Sugar or my Commonwealth to be snooping in on my driving habits.  What next...citations by mail for speeding infractions after the JBTs note that you hit 80 mph out on I-95 last month on the way to Richmond?

This is a damn slippery slope here...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a reason why I like older cars......
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks like its time to buy an old jeep and fix it up.

+1

Track this

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=21991

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15203

Pretty easy with what you are showing.....

But I wont...

Interesting, the front plate doesn't appear to match the back plate.  Using counter-measures, Boomer?

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just cut the power to the black box.

Doesn't work if the same black box also controls the engine.z

Easy. Get the connector cable, the schematic, a small capacitor, and a shielded swtich. Wire a 'SCRAM' button. AFTER the system has saved your bacon, flip the cover on the switch and WIPE the mofo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You can buy aftermarket kits to do this now to monitor your kids or spouses usage and trips. It can either be downloadable from the unit or one that you can remotely view via the net...

S.O.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top