Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
and no youre not going to find a humvee

I heard that the military models aren't street legal for civilians.

Anybody have the real deal scoop on this?

.mil let loose a few of the early ones then DOT got wind and made then get cut in half like the old jeeps

Why? not street legal?

Unlike the WW II jeeps which were sold to the general public by the Government, the policy regarding the HMMWV has put them mostly off-limits to civilians. The reasons for this policy are not completely clear. Officially, the problem is DOT. The US Department of Transportation has a lot of requirements for what a civilian motor vehicle has to be and the HMMWV (military model) does not meet them. Things like doors with side-impact protection (basic HMMWV has just a web strap), lighting (military lighting falls short), and padded impact-absorbing dashboard (Army issues bare metal).

though a few have slipped through
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
There are less than 1000 hmmwv's in the civilan market.  i think the number is 989.

there are some rewelds but i thinh you should stat away from those.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]

I have a '93 M1026 Humvee here in California. I'm trying to get it registered but I'm having problems. For one, there is no real VIN number to register. Mil' vehicles don't have one. The usual method I've heard of is to make one up using the vehicles serial number plus a few zeros to get the right number of digits. That's how mine was done. Our DMV takes a very dim view of home made VIN numbers. My truck came from Chicago. It was/is registered there. The DMV here won't even think of helping me. And to make matters worse the guy I bought it from is a real specimen and won't help me at all. I'm stuck!

Even if you do find a Humvee for sale that's not junk think twice before you buy it. There are other reasons to let it pass besides just cost.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
     Check into the Olive drab website. It is a good source to start, regarding owning military vehicles.
     Like others have said here. Owning one military vehicle is very addicting. I purchased a 1962 M151 a few years back and am now looking for a good running 6X6. I found one here in Alaska but for $6500.00, YIKES!!
     Another great forum for buying military vehicles is http://www.g503.com/forums/ Lots of vehicles and parts for sale there.
     If anyone cares to post a picture of my jeep that'd be great as I have not figured how to do that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
so when you bid on a DRMO item who do you ask for at the front gate to see it? is there like a DRMO OIC or what. I dont want to show up and have the Gate Guard give me teh WTF look and have to explain everything. the ads usually say set up an appointment  to see it but rarely gives contact info
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A good friend of mine just picked up a 1976 duece and a half for $450.00 with a fresh camo paint job and brand new tires on it and it runs great

Only driven by a little old WAC that used it to take soldiers to church on Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering all the hurdles, red tape, and potential problems, you might as well just buy a Cherokee and paint it OD. Or "better" yet, get one of the new Wrangler Willys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Considering all the hurdles, red tape, and potential problems, you might as well just buy a Cherokee and paint it OD. Or "better" yet, get one of the new Wrangler Willys.

I actually recall the military using Cherokees as non tactical vehicles, they were painted that awful lime green color, they used lots of Dodge rampages as well.

Hey I have one of those awful lime green jeeps cherokee '86 t door with 2.8 v6 5 speed and spot on the door where a BLM/forrest service sticker was even has a hitch ... fun little runner but gutless on teh top end
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top