Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Chipmunk on the 50yd. berm with a browning buckmark, irons, offhand.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I hit a 50lb steel buffalo with a Browning Hi-Power 9mm @ 100yds two hand standing shot.  First shot rang him but didn't knock it over.  The group of guys I was with razed me about lameass caliber so I triple tapped the buff. 1st & second shot hit & rocked it, third shot flopped him over.  Three shots in the span of about 1 second.  Next shooter got up with an FAL & hit the buff but didn't knock him over.....milsurp ammo punched through it low, not enough energy at the point of impact to overcome the static inertia
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]
At our local range we have a clothes line strung across the burm between two trees.  We usually hang targets from that.  One day I hung a 4lb coffee can from the clothes line with a string.  From 100yds off hand with a fixed 4x scope marlin .22mag I shot the string and watched the can hit the ground. That gun doesn't make me feel tough but it is a great shooter.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
dropped a running deer at about 80 yds with a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. Me and a buddy had been hunting a for whole week in Indiana. Had been rainy/snowy/windy. Didn't see crap. We decided to drive a thick patch of woods that had been torn up by a tornado a few years earlier. Buddy drew the short straw so he had to drive it first. I'm sitting near the edge, hands in my pockets. Shotgun on the ground. Pistol on my lap. Deer steps out of the thicket about 8 yards from me. Of course, pistol is single action. And if you've ever cocked a blackhaw in this sort of situation, you know it sounds like a train wreck. Well, the cocking sound set the deer running. He was sorta quartering away from me. I raised my knees up, rested on 'em. Squeezed one off. Dropped the deer in it's tracks. Neck/spine shot. BTW, bullet was a Winchester silver tip. It retained 100% of its mass. I still have it somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#5]
At  the  begining  of  the  last  bow  season  my hunting partner  and  I  were  going  back  to  our  car  and  he  sed  hit  the O  in  the  coke.  So  I  raised  drew  and  released  Indean styile  and  drilled  the  O  in  the  pop  can.After  that  I  promptly  put  on  my  "im a bad ass" look and hauled  ass out  of  there before he  cpild tell me to do it agan.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Rabbit at 20 yards, head shot with a Browning HP .40
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Dad, a freind and I were squirrel hunting. We see a duck fly in front of us. Dad and Friend blast away with shotguns... no luck. The duck is about 125 yards away when I raise my .22 and fire. Dad cusses me for wasting ammo. Duck plummets from air.
Dad would not beleive I had killed it until we cleaned the duck; but there it was... one little .22 hole.
My response: "Damn, I was trying for a head shot."
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#9]
As a 9 or 10 year old kid;

Chucked a rock at a rabbit a good 30 yards away.  Flat piece of shale with sharp edges.

Clipped the rabbit at the back of the neck and severed the spinal cord.  Almost no blood.  No more rocks at rabits after that.

As a 19 year old kid;

A buddy of mine and I were sitting on a RR bridge piling in the middle of a river at night (up to no good, of course).  There were some ducks about 75 to 100 yards away, and he had one of those crossman spring-operated bb pistols (looks like a 1911, basically).

On a bet, I took haphazard aim with a crapload of kentucky elevation, and pulled the trigger.

Phht.
"Quaaaaaack"!  We still laugh about that one.

Last one:  When trying to learn how to shoot trap with one pal's Frianchi SPAS (IIRC - it was a cruel, cruel, joke.  I could barely lift the damn thing, let alone hit the clay pigeons).  After many misses, and some ribbing from another buddy (who can't normally hit the side of the barn from contact distance), I asked; "You think you could do better?", and he replied "Sure".

He yelled "Pull" before I could hand him the shotgun...

..and dusted the damn clay 15 yards out with a snap shot from a .410 Derringer.

That was the luckiest shot I've ever seen.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Back when I was a kid, I had a Crosman air rifle, and I was walking with a friend out under the big power lines near my house...the big high-voltage towers, well over 100 feet high...and we saw some birds sitting on the topmost wire...we took some pot shots at the birds, but kept missing.  Finally, my friend pumped up the gun real good, and rested the rifle on my right shoulder and took aim...that time, all the birds flew away...except one, which managed to flap its wings a few times, then fell to earth in a lazy spiral...we were utterly amazed that we managed to hit and kill a bird that high up with an air rifle...it was a 1 in a million shot...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Two years ago white tail hunting on my property.  Stalking on a hillside, semi wooded.  Good sized buck startled and ran horizontally across the hill, downhiil from me.  Running shot with .50 cal. muzzle loader - Hi Viz sites.  One shot.  Deer ran only about  5 additional yards and fell in a heap.  I paced off shooting location to blood sign,  123 yards.  This was only my third deer in my time hunting, seven years.  I am going to try using My FA M-97 .45 Colt revolver this year.

Iritei
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
With a friend out in the desert.
He wanted to show me a challenging way to shoot.
He had me turn my back to the 5 bowling pins that were about 10 yards out.
He went and rearranged them and hung white sox hat on the one I wasn't supposed to hit.
I had my Glock 19 in my strong side carry holster.
I turned to the right and put 5 shots down range in about 3 seconds.
There were 5 bowling pis rolling around on the desert floor.
Then I realized that I wasn't supposed to shoot one of them.
I put a hole right through the O in SOX on the front of his hat.
After he gave me shit for shooting the innocent, he put his hat back on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Last summer a friend and I were shooting bottles on a wood target stand he set up. We were about 25 yards out and ran out of bottles so we started shooting the bottom of the bottles.  I lined up for my shot and fired. I hit the bottom of the bottle and got hit with something in my leg. I look down and my .45 ball ammo had expanded to over an inch and come back and hit mehat-Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I have three luckiest shots ever.

1.  I shot a squirrel at about 60 yards with a Crossman 880 when I was about 12.  Nailed it in the head, and it plopped right out of his high perch in a pine tree.   Amazing also because that pellet shouldn't have had the energy to kill it.  Maybe the pellet knocked him out, and the impact with the ground finished him off?

2.  I separated two fornicating turtles from a range of about 200 yards with my .243 varmint rifle.  Cool thing is, the top turtle shot straight up in the air a good 3 or 4 feet and fell back on top of the first turtle.  They both laid slumped, dead on the same log in the middle of the lake.  Neither fell off until I pushed 'em off with a paddle.

3.  Last week, I shot a dove at 85 yards with an improved cylinder 12 guage.  Not only am I a marginal wing shooter, but that improved cylinder patterns more like a skeet choke.  There must have been a lucky concentration of 7.5 shot collaborating with my lucky aim.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#15]
From the Hip I shot a running grey squirel in the head with an M-1 Carbine.  Distance was about 25 yards.

One time I was sitting in the woods, back up against a tree and the leaves right in front of my feet were moving.  I shot at the moving leaves with my Makarov.  Found a pair of ears and a tail of a small woods mouse.

These were totally luck shots.  Or the Moon and planets were in alignment.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Mistletoe with an HK .45 first shot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Great topic!!!!!!!

The 2 best stories I have are not me shooting but shots I was there for.

1. Dad and I were sighting in our ML for deer season.  We had about a 150# pumpkin 100 yards away.  We were shooting soup can sitting on top of it.  I had went first and with my factory irons hit the can ~4 out of 5 shots.  Dad came up with is scoped ML.  He shot and the can was gone!  I was like "nice shot pops" so we start walking down to set up another can.  About 4 steps down the can hits the pumpkin!  We walk up there and found that he shot just under the can.  The 50 cal HP entered the pumpkin creating pumpkin "mush" that shot up into the upside down can.  It had so much force that it bubbled the bottom(closed end) of the can about an inch out and shot the can ~50-75 feet(total guess) into the air.

2. Took a few non hunters out rabbit hunting when I was in HS.  One of them had his dad's 20g single shot break open shot gun.  We were just walking along a fence row and up jumps a rabbit running out into the open field.  I had told these guys that I wanted them to take the shots so I just stood there.  They didn't move.  I finally yelled take the shot.  So the one with the 20 pulls up and fires.  I was looking right at him so I could see that as soon as he started to raise the gun he shut his eyes.  He had his eyes shut until he started to lower the gun.  The shot was about 60 yards.  I said well lets go see if we can jump it back up.  On the way over there I was telling these guys they needed to stay on their toes and be ready.  We get close to where the rabbit was and I see it.  I get ready to shoot when I realize it is laying on its side!  When I cleaned it I found no pellet holes!  The only thing I can assume is there was a lone pellet in the head or something.
Needless to say this guy thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I was about 40feet deep hunting a ledge for grouper. I look in the hole with my light and see a decent sized one, maybe 30 plus inches, a nice broadside shot about 8 feet away. I aimed with my speargun and fired hitting him right in the side of the head. To my suprise when I hauled him out there was another legal grouper a bit smaller on the spear behind him.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#19]
1 shot a dragonfly out of the air with a ruger 22/45.  A headshot with witnesses.

2  6 for 10 on hand launcher thrown clay birds with my bulgarian SLR-95MB

3  shot a sparrow out of the air with a RWS m48 air rifle.  I was shooting at a starling but this bird flew into it.

4  hit an egg on a pipe at 175 yards with a bore sighted 30-06 in front of about fifteen people. They'd spent twenty minutes trying to hit it and I was holding off till they were done to finish sighting in that rifle.  They kept asking me to try and I didn't want to cause it had just been bore sigted. Finally I gave in, laid down, took one shot, the egg exploded

I just calmly stood back up,  dusted off my pants and said "now can I go finish sighting in my rifle?"

the scout leaders were speechless but I managed to act normal like I knew I was going to hit it.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I was able to shoot a ground hog with the P94 .40 120 yards away.
Last year I shot a deer with the muzzleloader from 220 yards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Bowling pin at 300 yards with FALARAK's Keltec P3AT .380 out at the Hun Farm.

FALARAK and Fireblade were with me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Was watching a guy try to sight in a brand new 38-55 New England Arms "Buffalo Rifles" (break open single shot) open iron sights.  And at the same time trying various loads to see what grouped best.  Probably should do one or the other not both at the same time. He was using  jury rigged rest and was all over the place.  I was waiting for something, and he was getting frustrated, he asked me if I wanted to give it a try and see what I thought of the sight and load (Or in other words, think you can do any better???).  Well the "target" was half a clay pigeon at about  80 yards.   Said I'ld give it a try, fed one in, brought it up in a quick motion and squeezed it off almost as soon as it came to my shoulder.  Powdered that sucker.  Handed it back, said "Seems good to me."  

Rancid Crabtree would have been proud.

I love doing that to my room mate. He doesn't even try to sight his weapon anymore when I'm around. He just hands it to me and says, "Sight this in for me"

Mine was actually a series of shots, though I don't really consider it luck. I like to think there was some skill involved.

Room mate and I go out to the range and when we get there, realise we didn't bring any targets. Uncontrolled range though so he gets this case of empty beer bottles out of his trunk. (Don't ask, no idea why he was saving them)

He goes down range and puts a couple up on the 50 meter burm, then fires off 10 rounds with SKS, 17 rounds from Glock 9mm, and another 6 from the Ruger .357 magnum.

Hits 4 bottles, left 2 still standing.

After "complimenting" him on his fine display of accurate shooting I load up a 20 round mag and pop it in the AR. Iron sights no scope. Chambered a round, brought it up to my shoulder and fired off 2 shots.

2 broken bottles, nothing left to shoot at. So I sit back down and make him go put up more bottles.
This time he put them out at the 100 meter burm. He put out 15 and bet me I couldn't finish off all 15 without reloading. So I've got 18 shots to hit 15 bottles at 100 meters? OK, so I can miss 3 times and still win. As I'm sure almost everyone here knows if you're zeroed at 300 it will shoot a little high at 100 so I do have to sort of guess a little.

So I get in a kneeling position and start picking them off. Ended up 15 of 15. 3 rounds left in the mag/chamber. He stopped betting with me after that day.

The true "luck" shot was when I picked off a cardinal. Entirely unintentional, it just flew in the way right when I fired at my target.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is my lucky shot story:
Years ago I was out with a few buddies in the desert shooting,  we had called a cease fire and were down range setting up targets.   We stuck a piece of pipe in the ground and someone sat a charcoal briquett on it  (about the size of a golf ball).   Back at the firing line a bit later my buddy hands me a lever-action 30-06, and old original Winchester 1895 that has been in his family for 70 years or so.  He hands me a round of factory ammo and says "Try her out".  Having never seen the rifle before I looked it over first and it looks to be in good shape, he points out he charcoal briquette 50 yards downrange and says, "Hit it".  I had never seen this rifle and did not know what the distance the sight was set for. I slip the round into the chamber and hold dead on in an off-hand position.  I slowly took up the trigger and BOOM, downrange is a small cloud of black dust!     Made me look pretty good, but truth is luck was with me that day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Once, in a tactical night shoot (in the army) I was the MG gunner, and I was in some crazy groove, where I kept hitting the 600-meter target at will.  (these were the targets that would fall over to register a hit - tallied by the range computer - and then come back up when the program called for it).  

This was with iron sights on an MG-3 (or MG-42/59) belt-fed machinegun on its bipod out of a foxhole (not mounted anywhere).  I knocked that target down ten or twelve times in a row with 2-3 shot bursts (no tracers).  We got the highest score on that particular shoot that night.

Everyone was very impressed - including me!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I hip shot a 6" steel plate at 15 yards (1911 .45)in a quick draw contest with my brother (cop) before he could clear leather.  He said "I bet you can't do that again".  I did.  All of this while acting like I do this all the time.

Another time we got out of the truck at our favorite shooting berm.  Someone had left bottles lined up at 100yards.  He was uncasing his AR and slapping a clip in while I just jumped out and started cleaning those bottles, 2 hand off hand with a 4"686 with .38 loads.  I cleared all of the bottles before he got the first round off.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#26]
In flight clay pigeon with S&W 44 mag with red dot scope.

GM
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Many years ago (1958) I put a single bb in a sling shot and fired at a bird in a tree accross the street. Hit it in the top of the head and killed it. Have always had a problem with that. Killed a bird for nothing.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Many years ago (1958) I put a single bb in a sling shot and fired at a bird in a tree accross the street. Hit it in the top of the head and killed it. Have always had a problem with that. Killed a bird for nothing.

Yeh, but you carried that appreciation for life around you all that time.  That is why I appreciate my dad taking me hunting as a child.  I pretended to be real happy when I killed my first squirrel when I was 8.  It got to me, and hunting has been a spiritual an respectful thing ever since.   Along the same lines, I see CCW as a vigilant and morbid responsibility.  I don't see it as being cool at all.  I have my dad and that first hunt to thank.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Years ago, 16 years old, Jack rabbit at 40 yards half run at bottom of hill below me. BB gun rifle to the back of neck. Dropped like a sack of potatoes. I could not believe it! I just threw up rifle lead a bit and pulled trigger.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#30]
AA Batteries at 100yds with a Rugar 10/22.  No luck at all, pure skill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Shot a thrown clay from the hip with my Oly Car-15 (11.5in barrell, 5.5 in FS) at Knik River Bridge Access. My friends were amazed! Probably couldn't do it again in a million years
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#32]
hit a housefly with a 20 year old red ryder at about 20 feet. Took one of its eyes out, I was quite amazed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#33]
250yds on a running whitetail while leaning out from my safty belt, right though the pump.

.......any caliber?  How about a smoke grenade tossed throught tobacco barn vent during wargames in the reserves.  We were trying to take the barn that was held by the "russians".  The grenade hit ole Lenny, the cook, right in the forehead cutting a perfect half circle right between his eyes.  Bled like a stuck pig.  Kerry would have gotton a purple heart for that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#34]
bb gun.  60 or so yards, from my bedroom window to the top of a tree in the backyard.  A bird was perched on the very top of an 80 or so foot tree.  I aimed high and shot.  A second later I see the bird just keel over and pinball it's way down to the ground.

bb gun.  When I was 16 one of my idiot friends snuck my bb gun in the back of my car.  An old pump one, and as we were driving he shot a lady in the ass who was bent over in the trunk of her car picking up groceries.  There were 4 of us in my car and we were going about 30mph.  He goes "look at that lady"  shoots,  then she grabs her ass, smacks the back of her head on the top of the trunk, turns around as we drove by and started running towards the car.  I floored it and drove home.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
bb gun.  60 or so yards, from my bedroom window to the top of a tree in the backyard.  A bird was perched on the very top of an 80 or so foot tree.  I aimed high and shot.  A second later I see the bird just keel over and pinball it's way down to the ground.

bb gun.  When I was 16 one of my idiot friends snuck my bb gun in the back of my car.  An old pump one, and as we were driving he shot a lady in the ass who was bent over in the trunk of her car picking up groceries.  There were 4 of us in my car and we were going about 30mph.  He goes "look at that lady"  shoots,  then she grabs her ass, smacks the back of her head on the top of the trunk, turns around as we drove by and started running towards the car.  I floored it and drove home.  

Did you give him an ass-whoopin when you got home.  The jackass needed one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Tw0 lucky shots, both on groundhogs.

The first one was 20 yrs ago, my first time groundhog hunting.  98 yard offhand shot at a running groundhog, right thru the shoulders.  

Second one was another runner, nailed him at about 50 yards with my Bushy HBAR with a handload with a Hornady SPSX bullet, blew his front end almost off.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Double on pheasant with one shot.  I was about 16, hunting with my dad and one of his friends.  I was carrying a Winchester 101 in 28 gauge ( I was a pretty good wing shot in those days; lots of skeet).  The dog flushed 2 birds on my end of the line and I fired at the farther one, swept back to line up the other and it was down.  My dad and his friend were really whooping it up.  That story circulated for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Dad and uncles shooting clay pigeons, me just graduating to .177 pellet gun (lever action), one shot hit on said pigeon.  I made the mistake of trying again...

Second was a friend with a Crosman BB pistol (looks like 1911 and is a POS).  He nailed a cardinal at 20 yds as we watched the BB arc and hit it.  I lost that bet.

Third is with a Crossman .22 cal pellet gun.  We had lots of ground squirrels digging up our yard and I would sit on our deck and attempt to control the population.  I hit a ground squirrel running along the stringer of our shadowbox fence at about 20 yds. (meaning: as it was running behind the spaced boards along the top of the 2x4 upper stringer).  It was a lung shot and it only had enough left to fall to the ground, jump back up on the lower stringer, hide and die (about 5 seconds).

The little guy was about 4" long not including the tail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#39]
My very first shot with my first pistol, on the way back from setting up the target I turned, loaded one round and fired one handed to make the dirt jump. My buddy said "bullseye!" and I didnt belive him till I walked out and saw the flawlessy placed hole in the center. Another more recently was hitting a small metal chicken in the neck with my first shot offhand from 500 meters with a M91/30. Just before that I got it with my second shot with my CMP 1903A3.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Many years ago a friend and I were in the backyard plinking cans with a really beat up .22 wheelgun. I couldn't hit squat with it. About that time a cottontail ran into the line of fire,  I beaded down on it and pulled the trigger and BAM! Right in the head. It was yummy.

AB
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was 13 or 14 and I was playing around with a Daisy powerline pneumatic pistol and I saw a big fly on a piece of wood about 15' away from me. I took a shot at it and took it ass off and the fly was still alive but it had no butt!
Only other time I was this lucky was a few years later I saw a morning dove in my backyard about 30 feet away from me. I was in my parents garage painting something and I saw some old bathroom tile on a shelf. I did my best impersonation of Dave Righetti of the New York Yankees picking off a base runner and threw the tile at the dove. I nailed it dead on. A puff of feathers and that sucker was nailed right in the head.

Why would you hurt an animal for no reason? A liberal I could understand, even if you dont have a reason, you still do, they're liberal....

S.O.

it was in NYC so it was a liberal bird, Dove: get it
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#42]

I didn't know there were other McManus fans on the board.....I feel like I'm in good company now.

I would laugh my butt off when I read his "stories".  I have several of his books in my small library.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I hit an oil filter on a rod 80 yards away with my first shot using a 1911 from the Weaver position.

I also shot a three shot group with my scoped .30-06 Ruger 77 at about 250 yards that was about an inch. I was resting the front of the rifle on a sandbag.

And I shot a 5 shot group I could cover with my hand at a propane tank about 300 yards out using the iron sights on an HK-91 from sitting.

There was luck involved in all of the above, but the oil filter at 80 yards was very, very lucky . . .
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top