Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Other than that, I like the looks and especially the light.

doesn't that get heavy?

Exellent observation.

Clint says that a light may be a dire necessity, but extra ammo is not, since you can easily and quickly reload.

Therefore, the light, while an extra weight, is a good idea.  A lot of extra ammo, since it can be easily reloaded, is not.

Glad to see you're awake, old buddy.

And the "extra ammo" in your pocket does not get heavy?  That is bullshit, in a combat situation you are not going to care about the weight of a few rounds in an extended tube except to be very fucking glad they are there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry TWO 870s on a daily basis.

One rides in a locking rack on the cage, just above my head.

The second rides in the trunk.

I have had the opportunity to modify them over the years. The "lethal" shotgun in the overhead rack is pretty much a stock 870-holds four rounds, has a crappy bead site. My only real "upgrade" is the addition of a 3-point sling and a cheap buttstock shell carrier. It comes out of the rack once a quarter for qualification and gets a good cleaning and a heavy coat of lube, and then it goes back. I hate to say it, but it is an obsolete system. While it does its job just fine, it is not an optimal system for patrol work and has limited utility in most situations. Since we have "liberalized" our special weapon deployment policy, anything hairy enough for a long gun gets the M4 from the trunk, with all of the bells and whistles. I agree with everyone here who said that your rifle/carbine is a better choice than a shotgun.

The 870 in the trunk is dedicated "Less Lethal." It has a magazine extension, SF forearm light, 3-point sling and another cheap buttstock shell carrier (more on that later). It gets deployed a couple times a month, the thought being that is someone is armed with a knife or impact weapon (mostly and particularly on suicidal person calls), it is better to attempt to subdue them with something that is not as likely to cause serious injuries or death than handguns/carbines/buckshot. I have toyed with the idea of putting some 1913 rail stock on the receiver and adding an Aimpoint or Reflex to the LL shotgun (I have lots of them kicking around, waiting to be mounted on something), but beanbags, even the drag-stabilized ones we are using, just aren't that accurate and have such limited range that it seems kind of pointless.

That is the main role of shotguns where I work. To deliver specialty munitions. And they are kind of passe at that mission. We are slowly replacing the lethal shotguns with some really nifty patrol carbines (my project, and a labor of five years of convincing the brass-a long story, actually). We are likewise replacing the LL shotguns with "non lethal" systems, like PepperBall and maybe the FN launchers. The bottom line is that shotguns aren't used that frequently, and are bering replaced by better, more capable systems.

As to the mag extensions and all, four rounds isn't a whole lot, and you have to carry your extra rounds somewhere. I'd rather carry them IN the weapon, or on the outside of the shotgun, which doesn't change the weight equation any. Other than that, the only place I have to carry more shotgun rounds is my left front pocket (all of the other space on my belt is pretty much spoken for with all of the mandatory do-hickeys and accoutrements that one must carry to be safe, effective and liability-conscious on the streets these days. The one that gets the most use is the cell phone, a symptom of being a street supervisor, I suspect), and the left front pocket isn't terribly accessible, what with my radio, OC spray and spare SIG magazines all competing for that space. Don't even ask about the right front, as that is pretty much blocked by a holster. Like I said, it really isn't that much of an issue because I don't deploy the shotgun. 30 rounds in the M4 should be enough, and a spare 30-rounder thrown hastily into the left front pocket should suffice. If I am going somewhere where I think that isn't going to be enough ammo, then I am going to gear up in more "social clothing," which comes with lots of 30-rounders stashed in various pockets and all, or I can jsut grab a bandolier of 6  30-rounders or 7 20-rounders from the top of the spare tire in the trunk (it pays to have a plan ahead of time). Any of those options are infinitely preferable to attempting in vain to stuff loose rounds of buckshot into my mostly inaccesible left front pocket.

Oh, and as to the legendary "intimidation factor" of racking the slide on a shotgun, it should never really be an issue. If you are waiting until you are within contact range (hearing distance) of the forces of evil to make your weapons ready, you are asking to go home in a box. Your weapons should be hot or be made hot as soon as they are needed, and one should never give away their position and any tactical advatage for the sake of letting the BG hear them racking the action on a weapon. Save that for dramatic moments in the movies (like the stupidly ubiquitious cocking sound that they always seem to add when someone points a Glock).

Oh, and cool-looking shotgun, by the way.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top