BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well I bought a AR15 HBAR in 1987 for $850.

Now you can buy a new one for less than $1000.

so in 17 years ARs have only gone up $200-300 in price.

Actually the price isn't keeping up with inflation. 5% inflation average over 17 years. That $850 HBAR ought to cost 85% more. $1575 would be about right.

I recall seeing Shotgun News ads in the late 80's/early '90s for $500 COLT ARs, or a little less for a no-name. I don't recall when Bushmaster started selling ARs.

I won't pay over $800 for a no-ban gun with a flash hider/bayo lug and a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
C'mon..ar's were worth what...3 bills before the ban? Dealers couldn't give them away...

I'm guessing that you didn't buy many ars pre-94.

Dealer on a pos parts gun was $500... but you could buy 4 SKSs  for three bills or about ten Raven 25 autos.

I dunno. Bought my Colt CAR15 brand new for about $350---------------------------

in 1978
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Colt SP1 in 1979 for $295.00
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I bought a AR15 HBAR in 1987 for $850.

Now you can buy a new one for less than $1000.

so in 17 years ARs have only gone up $200-300 in price.

Actually the price isn't keeping up with inflation. 5% inflation average over 17 years. That $850 HBAR ought to cost 85% more. $1575 would be about right.

I recall seeing Shotgun News ads in the late 80's/early '90s for $500 COLT ARs, or a little less for a no-name. I don't recall when Bushmaster started selling ARs.

I won't pay over $800 for a no-ban gun with a flash hider/bayo lug and a fixed stock.

There has been two driving factors in the price of AR's since the 80's.  First is your COGS,
(cost of goods sold)  the largest single cost  at that time was labor. Old style N/C and first Gen. CNC equipment  was a huge improvement but still costly. Fast forward to the 90's, we now have Cad/Cam,  automatic tool changers, 4 axis CNC with  pallet changers, etc. Our cost  to machine has
fallen drasticly, but, a new driving factor has appeared, the 'Pre Ban Gun'. They command a high price, which indirectly sets an inflated price on 'Post Ban Guns'. (short version)

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
About time...an ar is not worth more than four hundred bucks in my opinion. If it wasn't for the ban, the ar would be worth two bills max...Honestly, the ar is a POS...

where did you come from??

The greatest state in the nation, California. Bow down to us, you pathetic fools...

OH johnny,johnny, come back, come back.
Miss johnny, can little johnny come out and play?.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see the prices coming down any. They are already used to selling at that price, and what's more, they might even cost more now because it will cost more to put the thread on, or a collapsible stock, etc. And I think also that some of the dealers who have Klinton ARs will not drop the price, but raise the price even higher of the no bans under speculation that you just don't know when there will be a new ban. I also see dealers buying up tons of guns with evil features in anticipation of a new ban. THis frenzy will create a supply less than demand - driving up the prices of no ban guns while they try to push of the Klinton ARs to unsuspecting customers. Just my Opinion, but the name of the game is making money, so I suspect that alot of dealers will. Not all, but alot of them will probrobly do this.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bought a Colt SP1 in 1979 for $295.00

So,
I bought a NEW, three bedroom, two full bath, fill basement ranch,
with garage in the city limits for $36.900 BACK in 1980.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#8]
It may take a couple months for the prices to stabilize.

There will be increased demand, but w/o urgency that may make the prices about the same.

I can't wait for the first Shotgun News published after the AWB goes away.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
About time...an ar is not worth more than four hundred bucks in my opinion. If it wasn't for the ban, the ar would be worth two bills max...Honestly, the ar is a POS...

Maybe when they first came out in civilan sales..... but not now.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Sure, pre-ban lower prices will drop considerably.  Like it was said, no one is going to give much for a 10+ year old gun, inless it is a really old Colt.  Old Sendra's, PWA's, etc, will be cheaper than new lowers, which is the way it should be.  The biggest change I am looking for is with mag prices.  I can't wait to buy $8 used mags, which may even become cheaper.  The only question is, how long will it last?  The ban is dead, but what will the next one be like?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The ban is dead, but what will the next one be like?  

Your worst nightmare if they get around to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, the pre ban prices will fall to what a used rifle will sell for, except for collector stuff like usual.

I don't see the post-94 prices falling to much below post-post ban rifles.  Hey, if I can save 50 bucks by doing without a flash hider and a bayo lug I will.  The only appeal those things have is that they are forbidden.

AR-15's only really took off AFTER the ban.  They were pretty uncommon before.  Now, it seems half the rifles at the range are military patterned.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#13]
The point of this thread was to illustrate real world prices in light of the coming sunset.  As little as a few weeks ago, I found very little indication of prices falling on pre-94 guns.  In less than a minute on ONE auction site, I found several auctions that seem to reflect a significant shift.  If this is already happening, I can only imagine what it will be like in the near future.  I am a firm believer in the old saying...."Something is worth what someone will pay for it".  No more, no less.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the last Bushmaster catalog before the ban.

1) Standard A2 HBAR with 20 inch barrel - $740.

2) Stripped lower - $89.95.

3) 30 round magazine - $8.95.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top