User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]
OK a  maybe a couple people didnt realize that a state of emergency was declared by the gov. These laws can only be used during that declaration.  And believe me discretion was used, at least with the group of officers I was with. It was not only impossible , but impractical to arrest everyone out after curfew, and the question would be why even do that. Like I stated earlier, only the people out with no valid excuse got arrested. Bringing water to your grandma, coming home a little late from a restaurant, hell even looking for gas up to a certain point was valid for me.

Yes, I didnt wholly agree with closing the restaurants at 8pm. But the line had to be drawn somewhere. Preople were inconvenienced with that at the most. I think you will have a hard time finding an officer who will arrest a family that was a little late getting out of a restaurant. It didnt happen. Alchohol sales were reinstated on wednesday or thursday, and the whole curfew was lifted on Friday. There are still a couple barrier island towns that still ahve em, because most of these are still without power.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sounds like a CoP on a power trip. Police Chief Michael Reiter apparantly ordered officers to go around to any open business and enforce the 8pm curfew county wide.

Don't you mean CITY wide?  Palm Beach is a city in Palm Beach County.  They don't have county wide jurisdiction.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Typical present-day robotronic copozoids who must OBEY their superiors without question and enforce a ZERO TOLERANCE policy for nearly everything.  

"Police discretion" no longer exists.  

Us v. Them is real.  

TCSD1236 is their ideological leader.  

He's probally also upet he wasn't there to assert HIS authority.

Roy
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask Gov Bush ~ he is the one who signed the executive order into place & it can't be undone unless there is another order.
They can take what ever they want, from your house to your guns to your wife. . . and they can do whatever they want because ALL Constitutional rights are suspended. . .
This is what my uncle is saying and he lives in Ft. Myers

Got to check this out for myself though. . . don't beat me for this
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
They are treating citizens like late night care givers at nursing homes treat old folks.
I have seen late night shift nursing home workers barricade old people into their beds so they can go into the activity room and watch Jerry Springer.

The cops are trying to prevent crimes and headache by making everyone go home. Saves them the trouble of actually patrolling and doing their job.

Sounds like the Chief would be the first to kick in your door if given the order to confiscate guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Here on the Gulf Coast we had no such orders. Of course there were evacs of low areas, curfews, banning of liquer (for a very short time, still dont know why though), but ordering people out of restraunts? No sir! And believe me, the stores/restraunts that were opened and had power, food, A/C, cold drinks, ect.  were PACKED and God bless em for it! I am LEO and we had to do alot of directing of traffic for a good two weeks to keep everybody safe on the roads as well as LOOTER PARTOLS! As far as I'm concerned let the good people be armed. Cuts down on looting. Besides, we are republicans here on the Gulf Coast. We took a bigger hit here with Charlie and our citizens were not hearded out of restraunts like in Left Wing West Palm Beach
Remember folks, there are a few bad apples out there. It doesnt mean the whole basket of apples is bad! Stay safe!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess the PoPo in Palm Beach are getting a lot of wood.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your sense of freedom is disturbing.

Curfew mean police have "grounds" to arrest those suspected of being engaged in criminal activity. It doesn't mean you order regular citizens out of Burger King under threat of arrest at 8pm.

That depends on the wording of the curfew order; it very well could mean everyone gets off the street at a given time; does anyone have access to the wording of the curfew order?

I'm sure it does say that. But at the same time this isn't the USSR and it isn't 1984.

The situation isn't dire enough for "martial law" so these extremes should be uncceptable to ordinary citizens.

Again, many people don't have electricity and are running out of food at home.

That is exactly the reason we were out.  We didn't have power back yet and were sick of eating canned food and MRE's and wanted a warm, cooked meal that we could enjoy in the air conditioning.  We weren't staking out store fronts to see which one's had good shit to steal in the windows.  I can understand their reason for wanting a curfew after Andrew, but Frances wasn't an Andrew and I never once saw anything on the news about looting or breakins or any type of criminal activity.  It was probably just a way for them to justify paying all those cops all that OT!! LOL
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this the Palm Beach of "hanging chad" fame?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is this the Palm Beach of "hanging chad" fame?

Yes, it is...must be something in the water...

I'm so glad I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida...we don't have that kind of buffoonery around here...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
if you like this wait till you see what happens the first time some terrorist pops off a dirty bomb. when all of the federally funded SWAT teams and county "emergency operations centers" that were paid for with federal funds in the 1990's  go hot for real [for every one horse town who's power hungry gun-nerd police cheif wanted to "get tactical"]  did you wonder why your rural county sherrif suddenly built an "emergency operations center" got an armored winnebago and started blousing their boots in the mid 90's??? wait till they all link up under FEMA to be come a defacto standing army in a buttonhook maneuver around posse comitatus.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
By what authority can the police do this?

If you dont like what he is doing, pressure the city council to remove him, and hire a new police chief. If the council wont get rid of him, elect a new council.

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one thing to say,

NO MORE FREE MEALS for cops at THAT restaurant!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#24]
ahhhh tcsd....

the voice of totalitarian reason.

after all these years, you just have to be a damn troll. you are so monofaceted, you just have to be the internet persona of a teenager looking to stir up a buch of liberty loving gun nuts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The curfew does protect property and people, contrary to your claim otherwise. It gets people off the streets and allows the limited law enforcement. National Guard presence that may be present to deal with the people who ARE out after hours who might have the intent to commit criminal activities.

you sir just defined the nanny state in a nutshell.  

"im your mommy, now go to your room and i will protect you."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Everyone who reads this thread needs to understand it. This SHTF scenerio can happen anywhere, doesn't have to be a hurricane either. Could be a terror attack, flooding etc. YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED!

It's not that bad yet here in N. FL. Though looting and home robberys are happening in certain areas.

But I can tell you this, your government cannot help you PERIOD! There simply isn't enough resources, money, manpower, equipment fuel, food etc. You truly are on your own. If you think you'll be able to get a bag of ice at the NG handout, you are wrong. Because the greedy fucks will get every member of their family & neighbor kid to stand in line and horde up Ice, water and MRE's, whether they need them or not, and you will be lucky to get anything, damn lucky at that, and the NG won't do anything to prevent the horders or weed out the shithead pricks. Ditto on the fuel, we were hit only with tropical force winds from Frances, and gasoline was very difficult to find, forget a gas can, generator, batteries or chainsaws.

You need to prepare in advance, you can be certain that at least once in your lifetime you will experience a disaster of this magnatude. Put off buying that sportscar or jet-ski, buy your disaster supplies first for you and your family. Get to know your neighbors and create a disaster action plan with them. You can count on gov't %0, neighbors %100-%50, family %50-%0

People that work delivering food like bread truck drivers, etc. are working their asses off right now just trying to keep some food on the store shelves. Entire grocery stores & restarants perishables were wiped out due to power failures. You can only eat canned beans & tuna for so many days before you lose your mind. Alpo will start looking good. Buy some MRE's and keep them on hand always.

I'm telling you first hand! I've been prepared to an extent because I live in the country, I have a generator, fuel storage for about 5 days, the neccessary clean-up tools, 4WD vehicle which I've had to use to get to & from home. I will building my preparedness supplies further. I will be installing a complete home standby power system in the future as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#27]
If it were me, I'd tell them to go to hell. Then, when they arrest me, I'd sue their asses. IMHO, a curfew in the equivelant of House Arrest, and thusly the county is effectively indefinitely imprisoning every person in the county without due process, and without a trial, simply because they "might" commit a crime. That is no more legal than arresting every person in a bad area of town, simply because someone in that area "might" commit a crime.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#28]
"Rumors that a beer made it through the checkout line set off searches of grocery bags."

This sentence alone should scare the hell out of any liberty loving individual.

And you wonder why there are so many Cop bashers these days.

I'm not a cop basher 'cause not all cops are asshats. I have a good friend who's a cop. But the few "rotten apples" out there really screw things up for most of us and creates a "them vs. us" paradigm.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Here is something I found that may be related:

fcn.state.fl.us/b_eog/owa/b_eog_www.exec_orders_display.list_orders

Executive Order Linky - PDF File

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask Gov Bush ~ he is the one who signed the executive order into place & it can't be undone unless there is another order.
They can take what ever they want, from your house to your guns to your wife. . . and they can do whatever they want because ALL Constitutional rights are suspended. . .
This is what my uncle is saying and he lives in Ft. Myers

Got to check this out for myself though. . . don't beat me for this

I think you are wrong.

Palm Beach Police Chief Michael Reiter — who was designated acting town manager — declared a state of local emergency and activated a curfew from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. for as long as necessary.

And it looks like the Sheriff did the same.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top