Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#1]
Somebody forgot to stack it deep when it was cheap.

I wouldnt say its a boutique round just yet.  The russian supply is cut off.  We're still waiting for other options to rush in and fill the vacuum.

The reason you aren't seeing much at academy is because their monarch house brand was russian barnaul.  They need time to replace it in their pipeline.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrinningDag:

Ammoseek suggests its almost at 1:1 pricing with 5.56 now. .223 is starting to be cheaper in some places.

It ain't getting any better.
View Quote

Yes and with .300 AAC prices coming down...
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh. It always been mediocre, it's quality was cheapness.

Now that it costs as much as regular rounds but still sucks for quality people see it for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kested:
If you are not stocked up currently you are out of luck and can include 5.45x39 too the list as well
View Quote

And this is why I sold my 74 years ago. I saw the writing on the wall. Shame because it was a nice, soft shooting rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
And yall wonder why we laugh when people suggest x39 instead of 300 AAC for AR’s
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
theres many other european manufacturers than just russia. I suspect most of the supply is just going to the war.
View Quote

Yep. And cranking it out at full capacity, and likely adding capacity, and probably have every round pre-sold at the moment.

War's gotta end sometime, when it does a metric ton of the stuff will pile up fast and get sold in a hurry to the next best market, the US consumer.

Salad days will return, stash some ammo money aside now and wait for it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Boutique round in today's pricing would be $1.50-$2 or higher price range.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

Yep. And cranking it out at full capacity, and likely adding capacity, and probably have every round pre-sold at the moment.

War's gotta end sometime, when it does a metric ton of the stuff will pile up fast and get sold in a hurry to the next best market, the US consumer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
theres many other european manufacturers than just russia. I suspect most of the supply is just going to the war.

This will happen.
I already have a ridiculous amount of x39 and will be buying heavily again when the conflict pricing eases back off.
Those facilities running 3 shifts to supply war needs will continue to produce for any hungry market.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have enough on hand that bought two AR uppers in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]
For just a minute, let’s pretend you’re a kid who just turned 19 or 20, and wants to get into the AK game.

Is repeating “ I bought it cheap years ago” helpful for those guys?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sic_ness:
For just a minute, let’s pretend you’re a kid who just turned 19 or 20, and wants to get into the AK game.

View Quote

I mean the motto of AK guys is "it's good enough", so sure.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#13]
It was expensive as hell before about 1988.  

It's trivially cheap to reload and the brass lasts forever.  Powder coated or gas checked cast bullets make it even cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wolfdentd:
Where the hell are you, Calif or NY??

762x 39 is one of the cheapest rounds out there. It's a cheap gun and a cheap round.
View Quote

If by cheap gun you mean double to triple the price of an AR15 and by cheap ammo you mean more expensive than 556, you would be correct.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]

762x 39 is one of the cheapest rounds out there. It's a cheap gun and a cheap round.
View Quote

Where are the cheap AKs? My son wants one. As for the round, I lost my last rifle in that caliber a few years ago, but I kept the dies and mold, as I loaded cast bullets for 7.62x39mm, and they worked great.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

That’s what happened with my son. He bought a PSA been AK and it has been working great.  More accurate than what I expected.  I owned an SKS a long time ago and sold the ammo I had because I was going to just standardize on a few calibers and then he goes and buys the PSA. I have to admit. He did not do wrong with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

This is most probable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
It never sold well when I was an FFL. I always kept a case or two of the 20 round boxes on the shelf, but never had any requests to stock it in bulk and even the 20 round boxes sold very slowly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
And yall wonder why we laugh when people suggest x39 instead of 300 AAC for AR’s
View Quote

Yea but I haven't seen a person post that a 7.62x39 made it into their AR-15 and blew up either.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AbsoluteLemur:
PSA has it at 50 cents/round - https://palmettostatearmory.com/tula-7-62x39-122gr-fmj-20rd-box-ul76201.html

Definitely nowhere near as cheap as it once was, though
View Quote

That is quite insane. How much is 5.45 then? That must cost a lot more. Used to be $200 for 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Halo_is_for_Kids:

When did you buy?

2004:
$79 sks
$249 wasr
$89 case of ammo

2024:
$500 sks
$799 wasr
$480 case of ammo
View Quote

Yup. I bought a brand new Yugo, covered in cosmoline, for $100. Came with all the accessories too. Tula, Norinco were cheap then too. Now, nope. All the import bans that started from Bush Sr to now have destroyed the Mil surp market here in the U.S., which was the intention.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jdessell:

And this is why I sold my 74 years ago. I saw the writing on the wall. Shame because it was a nice, soft shooting rifle.
View Quote

just how old are you Lestat?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Well...

the writing was always on the wall and thats why I built pallets worth of 5.45 and 7.62x39 when it was cheap and available...  

Many of the same people that are crybabying about current x39 prices were crying about sub $200 per case as well and probably crybabying about sub $100 cases.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Cristo11:
Sam warned you all when he was begging you to buy Golden Tiger @ $199 per 1,000.

Most laughed.

Who’s laughing now…
View Quote

Yup. This screenshot is from 5/29/19. A lot has changed in 5 years. For all the shit people give Sam about “instigating panic buying” the dude is right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flogger23m] [#25]
View Quote

Neither Russia or Ukraine uses 7.62x39 much. They use 5.45x39. Ukraine increasingly 5.56. Of course I am sure those companies are not making 7.62x39, they're making 5.56. I would think the few 5.45 factories left are sending all their ammo to Ukraine as quick as they can make it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:
Sold all of mine,no cares
View Quote

@FlyLeaf

Do you have 5.45 rifles?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

@Keekleberrys

It would be interesting to know how much of it is being used in Russia/Ukraine vs 5.45.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#29]
My AK's used to be my goto rifles if I wanted to go shooting for fun. I did stock up on a couple thousands rounds or so while Russian ammo was readily available but now they just sit in the safe as I'm saving that ammo. #FJB.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Laughs in belt fed 762 commie
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By armoredman:

Where are the cheap AKs? My son wants one. As for the round, I lost my last rifle in that caliber a few years ago, but I kept the dies and mold, as I loaded cast bullets for 7.62x39mm, and they worked great.
https://i.imgur.com/gp3CuNi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H8asu6g.jpg
View Quote

Those look great. What mold is that?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I ordered some brass case 7.62x39 last night cause it's pretty and I had money to burn. Trying to leave the stash alone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Ammo man, ammoman
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Tell them to get into ARs first.

It is AR salad days.

AR>AK
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By C-4:

@FlyLeaf

Do you have 5.45 rifles?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:
Sold all of mine,no cares

@FlyLeaf

Do you have 5.45 rifles?

@C-4

Nope. Got rid of those when the $79 tins ended at AIM.

Only one I have now is a 5.56 Krink

Just not cost efficient like it once was
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Colt in 7.62x39 is best AK
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

My son does not want an AK. He is not an illiterate dirt farmer and wants an accurate rifle . So he bought an AR
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#38]
PSA has themselves a money printing press currently.  They should be able to sell all the x39 they can make.  Fire up another line!  Double the capacity!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#39]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Somebody forgot to stack it deep when it was cheap.

I wouldn't say its a boutique round just yet.  The russian supply is cut off.  We're still waiting for other options to rush in and fill the vacuum.

The reason you aren't seeing much at academy is because their monarch house brand was russian barnaul.  They need time to replace it in their pipeline.
View Quote

I never even considered getting a platform that used the round.  I didn't really get into guns until 2018/19. My SKS was gifted probably 2 or 3 years ago, and who am I turn down a free gun?  So I bought a couple hundred rounds and made it run, really just something to break up the monotony of Glocks and ARs since I don't really consider myself a "Gun Enthusiast"; just tools in the tool box.

This was the look I got when asking for 7.62X39

Ew brother ew what's that brother meme

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

My son does not want an AK. He is not an illiterate dirt farmer and wants an accurate rifle . So he bought an AR
View Quote

Kid is a smart one.

People who worship an inferior platform using inferior ammo are weird possibly inferior themselves.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By fullmedaljacket8:
Stopped shooting 7.62x39mm since The Ukraine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Cristo11:
Sam warned you all when he was begging you to buy Golden Tiger @ $199 per 1,000.

Most laughed.

Who’s laughing now…
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#43]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

I never even considered getting a platform that used the round.  I didn't really get into guns until 2018/19. My SKS was gifted probably 2 or 3 years ago, and who am I turn down a free gun?  So I bought a couple hundred rounds and made it run, really just something to break up the monotony of Glocks and ARs since I don't really consider myself a "Gun Enthusiast"; just tools in the tool box.

This was the look I got when asking for 7.62X39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLg04uu2j2o

View Quote

I would still characterize this as a x39 drought.  Same like 22lr back in 2012-2013.  It was hard to find back then for not ass-rape prices.  Retailers who did sell it for normal price (4 cents a round) implemented a 2 box limit.  You could drive around to hit up walmart, academy, ace hardware and hope they got a truck in so you could get your 2 boxes.  Usually they did not.  Or you could go to the gun show, pay $20 entry fee, and then pay some dude 13 cents a round for a few cases.

That was right about the time I was getting back into shooting.  I got caught with my pants down, and I had to pay the price for it.

Then 22lr finally started making a comeback.  When it was available for under 5 cents a round again, I bought a lifetime supply.  I believe you are in a similar situation.  Just a drought for a certain caliber.  Weather the storm.  When availability goes back up, prices will go back down, and if you learned anything from the experience, you will buy a stupid amount of x39.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By sentionaut:

Fuck BHO.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sentionaut:
Originally Posted By tsg68:
Uh, Russian sanctions drove cost up since they were the major source of cheap cartridges.

Fuck BHO.

well, since he's pulling Sniff's puppet strings, yes.  

cheap steel case and even brass case Russian manufactured 7.62x39 all stopped after Vlad invaded Ukraine.

glad I unloaded mine a few years ago.  bought it for $80 back in the 90s at a pawn shop/ffl.  traded it plus a couple hundred for a 9mm Jericho a couple years back.  we were both happy.  I think he had it sold before I got home with the Jericho.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Today, 9mm and .22 are common and 5.56 may be getting replaced.

Remember when 38 special and 357 were common? I do.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Duke117:

True, but there are other former block countries producing that are not subject to sanctions.
When things settle in the region, the price will moderate.
View Quote

hahahahahahahaha

when things settle in the region.  that's funny.  people on both sides of the dipshit blue/red line are saying this will end badly.  Sweden just joined NATO.  pooh is basically trading ammo and equipment for oil and gas from vlad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Plainsman62:

Those look great. What mold is that?
View Quote

NOE .314 129gr spire point. I size them down to .311 and gas check. I kept the mold/gas checks/push through sizer/dies/etc., but donated most of my empty brass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Today, 9mm and .22 are common and 5.56 may be getting replaced.

Remember when 38 special and 357 were common? I do.
View Quote

5.56 will not be replaced until the rear echelon troops are all carrying plasma rifles in the 40 watt range and front line fighters are all carrying lasers and micro nukes.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By armoredman:

https://i.imgur.com/gp3CuNi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/H8asu6g.jpg
View Quote

I always wanted to get my hands on some Lapua 7.62x39 to try in my 527. I loved that rifle but that mag did not inspire confidence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Not anymore.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top