BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
I've been really happy with my 18v Ryobi. Had it for a very long time now.
View Quote

This

My has been awesome for years.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#2]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Big fan of EGO.  Have several of their tools, including a string trimmer.  Great stuff.
View Quote

This, EGO makes great stuff.

Their blower is fantastic and you have a bunch to choose from, so is their hedge trimmer with the cf shaft. That's all I have from them because my lawn guy does the rest (he doesn't trim bushes, if push him to do it he charges too much.)
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:06:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#3]
Originally Posted By motoguy:

The electric will be strictly for weed eating around a couple dozen trees and maybe clearing a 40x60 sized area that's too rocky to mow around my storage building.
View Quote

My Dewalt with .095 Gatorline string will handle that easily.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The ego 56V is hands down the best. I have had mine for going on 9 years now. Original battery is still going too. The stihl 36V stuff is garbage.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Big fan of EGO.  Have several of their tools, including a string trimmer.  Great stuff.
View Quote
This.

Get the one with auto line feed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#6]
If you have No Ethanol gas available in your area, stick with a 2 cycle weed eater.  Echo 2 cycle engines are easier to pull start than other brands. Go big or stay at home. Another tip is run 2 cycle engines full throttle as it keeps them from carbonating up. Since I switched to no ethanol gas I haven’t had any problems with the carburetor fowling up.

So sum it up, Echo brand, big engine, no ethanol gas, run full speed, straight shaft, and auto feed trimmer head.

Or you can do like I do, use mulch around the tree, leave the root flare on the tree exposed, and control the remaining weeds with Round-up.  I only bust out the weed eater once a year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bikertrash:
I'm happy with my Dewalt 20/60 volt

I'm not trimming that many acres tho....
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a. ATLAS with the 80V battery. You will not regret it. In fact all the atlas tools run off my one battety HARBOR FREIGHT is your friend on this one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
EGO straight shaft. Thing rips
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 40v Ryobi and an 18v Fuel Milwaukee. The Milwaukee runs circles around the Ryobi.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AlphaOperator:
I was already deep into the Dewalt 20v & 60v line, so that's what I went with.

They work great.
View Quote

This

And since I already had a bunch of batteries, including the extra capacity ones, it was an easy choice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By konger:
Depending on your trees and landscaping, but no way would I tackle that much acreage with a battery unit. Besides, gas units are way cheaper.
View Quote

Indeed. My Husqvarna 525L has probably over a thousand hours on it and continues to get going — probably paid a little over $300 for it. 2-stroke trimmers also weigh less than battery equivalents.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
I've got a DeWalt drill and impact driver.  And some old Ryobi impact drivers.  That's it.
View Quote

Then get a DeWalt whacker and blower from Ace for $200 as posted in post #14.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/trimmers-and-edgers/7025981

Fucking no-brainer. Brushles blower, 4.0AH battery, charger, string trimmer that is compatible with what you already own for that price.

-OR- there's always that Ego brand that I keep seeing here but had never heard of in real life.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#15]
Originally Posted By konger:
Depending on your trees and landscaping, but no way would I tackle that much acreage with a battery unit. Besides, gas units are way cheaper.
View Quote

When you get above the normal lot for a house, gas is the only way.

OP I have 1.5 acres with a lot of fence line and I can tell you there is no way I would do my yard with the size of some of the weed growths and use a battery weedeater.

I could use one to maintain the driveway and sidewalk, but that is it.  I bought an 20V Dewalt blower to use for the garage only, and when I get past the garage and down the driveway half way, I am needing another battery.

Listen to @konger
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Ryobi 40 volt trimmer. It works great, but it's heavy. Took a while to get use to the balance of it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deuce_22] [#17]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
2-stroke trimmers also weigh less than battery equivalents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
2-stroke trimmers also weigh less than battery equivalents.

Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
OP I have 1.5 acres with a lot of fence line and I can tell you there is no way I would do my yard with the size of some of the weed growths and use a battery weedeater.

I wonder how you could better tell me how you know absolutely nothing about what you post while you're posting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:36:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#18]
Correct me if Im wrong but higher volts does necessarily equal longer runtimes. Its marketing.
Volts = torque amd thus cutting power.
Larger torque requires more cells.  Then more runtime requires more cells. Series + parallel.  
18-20v provides plenty of torque for my thick St.Augustine grass.
At 18v, to get useful runtime I need the 4ah or more batteries.

Bigger torque = bigger heavier battery pack.  
4 acres is a lot and I would need probably 4+ 4ah battery packs depending on how much is actually being trimmed?
just a few trees vs full fenceline.

If fencelines, GAS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By maslin02:
EGO.  The $300 one with a carbon shaft.

Runs circles around the Sthil it replaced. And I’m done before the Stihl would even be started
View Quote

That’s because the carb was fouled up. If a 2-stroke isn’t starting by the third pull, there is something wrong — probably ethanol related.

I cannot imagine a situation where a battery trimmer runs circles around 2-stroke. Mine has been worked a bit, and it just screams for a 25cc engine. To each their own I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I'll second this. Great price and it's never let me down.

The edger is gtg as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#21]

That’s because the carb was fouled up. If a 2-stroke isn’t starting by the third pull, there is something wrong — probably ethanol related.

I cannot imagine a situation where a battery trimmer runs circles around 2-stroke. Mine has been worked a bit, and it just screams for a 25cc engine. To each their own I suppose.
View Quote

I have an Echo that has never had ANY ethanol in it. I wonder if it will even start today, this thread makes me curious. I haven't had a need to start it since I got the battery-powered DeWalt.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-21-2-cc-Gas-2-Stroke-Straight-Shaft-String-Trimmer-SRM-225/100675439
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By deuce_22:

I wonder how you could better tell me how you know absolutely nothing about what you post while you're posting.
View Quote

lol. The M18 trimmer weighs the same as my Husqvarna without the battery, so throw a 6.0 Ah or bigger battery on it and it weighs more.

I also know a thing or two about trimmers considering I spend several hours a week running them. If electric is so awesome, how come professionals aren’t running around with them? That’s right, they do not make sense when you have to use them heavily for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Stihl 510 mower yesterday with the idea of having battery compatibility with a weed eater and an electric chain saw. I got the package that came with 2 batteries and the fast charger.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]

I have an Echo that has never had ANY ethanol in it. I wonder if it will even start today, this thread makes me curious. I haven't had a need to start it since I got the battery-powered DeWalt.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-21-2-cc-Gas-2-Stroke-Straight-Shaft-String-Trimmer-SRM-225/100675439
View Quote

It’s possible. I have a beater/loaner Husqvarna 450 rancher saw that sat for over a year with fuel in it (non-ethanol), and I was totally expecting to have to put a carb on it, but the damn thing fired right up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Started with an EGO blower several years ago. Happy with it, so stayed with their system for a string trimmer. Wife does 100% of the weed eating, and it is weed eating, no grass lawn here. Around the house, shop, driveway (500+') and garden. She loves it, although says it is heavier. IMO several smaller Ah batteries beats the larger capacity in the long run.

Took the plunge with a battery 16" EGO chainsaw also and haven't been disappointed. Doesn't replace a gas saw, wasn't meant to. But for 90% of the screwing around I do anymore, it works fine.

Pick one of the half dozen popular brands and you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
I bought a Stihl 510 mower yesterday with the idea of having battery compatibility with a weed eater and an electric chain saw. I got the package that came with 2 batteries and the fast charger.
View Quote

My tiny MSA140 is a better saw than the neutered milwaukee 18v.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#27]
4 acres and a couple dozen trees?

Gas all day.  

Electric trimmers are nice for smaller lots and lighter duty work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#28]
M18
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:03:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrGoodkat] [#29]
Get whatever coincides with your power tools.  If you have Milwaukee drills and impacts, then get a Milwaukee trimmer.  Or DeWalt.  Or whatever.  Or if you don't have cordless tools, look at which ecosystem you want to get into and buy that trimmer.  Don't just buy the trimmer.  Buy into the system.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Very happy with my Milwaukee.  I would buy any brand but ego, only because you can use the same batteries for power tools.  I’m sure the ego models are nice but why limit yourself to only yard tools with the batteries?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I am pleased with mine also, I just wish there were two strings instead of one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:

I was looking at the MSA 220.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/battery-saws/msa220cb/

Father's Day, Anniversary and birthday are all coming up. We have 5 acres that I use a Kubota on the 2-3 acres of pasture on so these tools are for trimming/ clean up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a makita. Easy to add string too. Does my property
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#35]

View Quote

Nope. Bought brand new, never started right. I’d be over it before I started on the 2.5 acres of fence and cross fence. Everyone worked on it, never got it right.

EGO all day. It takes longer to put glasses on than start the trimmer. Quicker to change a battery than fill the tank too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Just operated a dewalt XR (or whatever model it is) yesterday for the first time.

Thing was very stout and capable for 1/3 acre lot but DAMN IT WAS HEAVY.  

I’m very impressed with the ego/evo battery powered mower.

Ymmv
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Take your wife when you buy it  if she's doing the weed whacking.
Have her check length and weight so she can't complain later.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jonnyjeeps:
M18 is god mode OPE
View Quote
I got the weed eater/edger combo, uses the same batteries as all my other tools.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#39]
EGO.  The $300 one with a carbon shaft.

Runs circles around the Sthil it replaced. And I’m done before the Stihl would even be started
View Quote

As someone with a BUNCH of EGO tools, this.

If the string trimmer is the top priority (ESPECIALLY for the wife to use), get the dedicated string trimmer with the CF shaft.

I have the multi head tool (allows you to swap between numerous tools, eg. String trimmer, hedge trimmer, edger, pole saw etc.). That versatility comes at the cost of excess weight.

It’s fine for me, but females are going to have issues with using it for extended periods. The CF shaft version is MUCH lighter and easier to wield.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Do they make one that hangs like the Dyson vacuums on its own charger. I wouldn't mind something like that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Ryobi 40v carbon fiber shaft, attachment capable( edger, hedge trimmer ect) lots of power, quiet. Think I paid 179 on sale a month ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#42]

lol. The M18 trimmer weighs the same as my Husqvarna without the battery, so throw a 6.0 Ah or bigger battery on it and it weighs more.

I also know a thing or two about trimmers considering I spend several hours a week running them. If electric is so awesome, how come professionals aren’t running around with them? That’s right, they do not make sense when you have to use them heavily for long periods of time.
View All Quotes

Professional = using for many hours a day

I wouldn't use anything battery powered when it takes 30 seconds to pour more gas in vs hours charging. I'm not buying multiple batteries that cost 1/3rd the price of a new trimmer.

That doesn't mean the battery version is less powerful or less reliable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Something that runs on a DeWalt Flexvolt battery.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Nope. Bought brand new, never started right. I’d be over it before I started on the 2.5 acres of fence and cross fence. Everyone worked on it, never got it right.

EGO all day. It takes longer to put glasses on than start the trimmer. Quicker to change a battery than fill the tank too.
View Quote

What was it out of curiosity? I guess Husqvarna has spoiled me (all professional stuff), as they all always start by third pull and never give me shit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#46]
My Dewalt 20v XR brushless trimmer died after 5 years of light/medium use (battery is good).  Replaced it with a Ryobi 40v for $159.  The Ryobi is much more powerful, doesn’t wrap grass like dewalt but isn’t as comfortable to use.
The Dewalt deal at Ace looks decent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
Do they make one that hangs like the Dyson vacuums on its own charger. I wouldn't mind something like that.
View Quote

That would imply an internal battery, which would be a major no-go for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:

Yup.

After owning numerous internal battery devices, I prefer separate batteries (especially when they can be used for numerous devices). Same goes for flashlights and headlamps and LED lanterns. No interest in internal battery units. 18650, AA, AAA, or D-cells.

The same Ego batteries can power my mower, leaf blower, 18” chainsaw, snow blower, 2240Wh Nexus power station (with the 4x 10Ah batteries, and I also have 2x 7.5Ah, a 5Ah and a 2.5Ah), multi tool with string trimmer, hedge trimmer, pole saw…
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Plenty of good choices.
I went with Dewalt 60v works very well.
The selling point was the salesman told me it would work with my 20v batteries... the salesman lied.
The 60 works with my other hand tools, but the 20v batteries do not work in the string trimmer.

Whichever you choose, it's better than a gas trimmer for a homeowner.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Mine has been awesome as well.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top