Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

South Korea but not on scale and minimum 10 years here more likely 20
View Quote

I think it depends on just how much of the IP and institutional knowledge that we can extract from the place.  If we were able to get plans and the people with the knowledge then I do believe we could have something up and running sooner.  It might well be a few generations back, but it wouldn’t be stone aged.

The company I’m at has some backend software we need to deploy soon and I was relieved when the powers that be wanted to avoid cloud. On-prem will still be gtg after the party starts, but I have my doubts about cloud.  I’ve been trying to get my hands on inexpensive spares for hardware when the opportunity arises.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PissedMick:

I think it depends on just how much of the IP and institutional knowledge that we can extract from the place.  If we were able to get plans and the people with the knowledge then I do believe we could have something up and running sooner.  It might well be a few generations back, but it wouldn’t be stone aged.

The company I’m at has some backend software we need to deploy soon and I was relieved when the powers that be wanted to avoid cloud. On-prem will still be gtg after the party starts, but I have my doubts about cloud.  I’ve been trying to get my hands on inexpensive spares for hardware when the opportunity arises.
View Quote

We could do far better if we didn’t have all the problems we’re having - many of which are self imposed but I’m looking at how things are rather than I wished them to be
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#3]

Xi Jinping is no spring chicken and China knows sometime in the 2030s they start losing military aged population so the clock is ticking for the military option
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GarandM1:
Even a Chinese blockade of the island would ruin our economy; no invasion necessary.

It would ruin the Chinese economy too, which I why I remain skeptical that China will do anything more than rattle sabers.

Then again, the Chinese might look at Joe Biden and decide they'll never get a better opportunity to strike.

Xi Jinping is no spring chicken and China knows sometime in the 2030s they start losing military aged population so the clock is ticking for the military option

Actually he is a spring chicken at 70.  I think his parents lived until their 90s.  Mother still alive..
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:

Maybe a decade if we are lucky. I knoe intel is working on a new plant in AZ i believe, they also have manufacturing in Israel, but look at how they are doing.
View Quote

Been there.  Impressive amount of work going on.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By foxxnhound:
China will just start shooting stadiums full of people until someone turns the machines back on.  Even then they may not stop shooting people.
View Quote

I figure China already has spies working inside who can thwart any move to disable or destroy the equipment.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

I figure China already has spies working inside who can thwart any move to disable or destroy the equipment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CTM1:
Originally Posted By foxxnhound:
China will just start shooting stadiums full of people until someone turns the machines back on.  Even then they may not stop shooting people.

What makes you think the control is in country?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
DouglasQuaid: We could hurt China pretty bad too.  In a shooting war, we could blockade much of their trade.  China still imports lots of oil from the middle east that transits through a few choke points, notably near Singapore.  Plus China still imports lots of agricultural products from the USA.  

It would be a bad situation from all parties since we all have critical imports coming from each other.  All the more reason for China to not invade Taiwan.
View Quote
Sometimes I think one of the reasons the US stayed in Afghanistan for twenty years was to prevent a pipeline being built through there to connect Iran and China.  Yes, the US is not toothless, the war would be horrible, I don't think the CCP would survive, but if we dodged a nuclear exchange whatever polity emerged in China would have a good industrial stance to build up from, and it will still be just antagonistic to us as the CCP is or the ROC would have been if it had won their Civil War.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
The B2 can disable chip machines too.

Yes, it's an Asian thing, PRC believes Taiwan is the rouge child that needs to come back into the fold... It's also a good rallying point for Xi. Other than the chip manufacturing, nobody really gives a shit about Taiwan, and nobody really wants to piss off China. Looking at how the US has (or hasn't) supplied them over the decades.
View Quote
There is more to Taiwan than computer chips or China's goal of reunification, and it is a similar issue to what is driving the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Not the sole reason, but a strong contributing factor: maintaining access to the sea for trade.

Look at a map of Asia, and notice that China has various other nations on all the islands that surround their coast. Taiwan is key because if China possessed it, it would give them a buffer of access, it is right in the center of sea access bounded by Japan to the north, and the Philippines to the south. China is a nation dependent on sea trade, both in and out of the country.

Similarly, Russia is even more heavily constrained. Though it is the largest country on earth, it has surprisingly few seaports in the west. And these very few ports are within waters with multiple potentially contested seas between them and the open ocean. It is a potential choke point to their economy that the US cannot relate to. We have thousands of miles of uncontested coastline. When the Key Bridge was destroyed, we considered it a national imperative to restore it, but realistically, the nation has literally dozens of other port cities. Russia has a mere handful of port cities, so they are going to react very differently to even a perceived loss of access.

I'm not saying that both Russia and China could not still be secure by simply being peaceful and more cooperative with their neighbors, or that I agree with their actions. Both are also authoritarian states, and most authoritarian states do not want to rely on trust and cooperation, they have to have control.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

OK I'm quoting mtself because I see you answered the Japan/S Korea in a separate response.

I think you give China way too much credit for ability to exert power outside fuel range of their aircraft.  But heck if they did half what you think they would we would be in WWIII and I think between Japan, Korea, USA, India and others who would join in China would be without an airforce or navy in a few months.

Whatever.  The bottom line IMO is that China has as much to lose as we do if they invade Taiwan and in fact are on shakier ground.

View Quote

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/05/29/asia/chinese-ships-japan-senkaku-islands-intl-hnk-ml

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
EUV’s are extremely sensitive.  You don’t need fancy software to brick them, and you don’t need to blow them up.  They require a clean room to operate in.  Very little damage to them or their buildings would make them inoperable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Read a article a few years back that all the machine operators would have to do is,walk away and disappear.
Supposedly they are pretty complex and running them preety much takes a expert trained in each proprietary machine.

So just evact the operators state side and the machines would lay dormant or ruined if not run correctly.
Was something they were gaming out about a invasion.
If the operators were held at gunpoint everything could run as normal but removing the operators was the equivelant of grenading each machine.

Seems these chip making machines only exist there well most of them from what the article said.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Correctly placed thermite grenades.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#17]
You don't need grenades or to sabotage the tools. You don't need a single thing. Those tools require maintenance all the time. Precision parts that China will immediately be sanctioned from being able to get. Two weeks, maybe a month, and those tools start dropping like flies. An EUV scanner is an entirely different beast than everything else before it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dyezak:
EUV’s are extremely sensitive.  You don’t need fancy software to brick them, and you don’t need to blow them up.  They require a clean room to operate in.  Very little damage to them or their buildings would make them inoperable.
View Quote

I’m still ok with us expending the munitions so as to guarantee there is zero chance of reverse engineering anything from the equipment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#19]
It would have been better to leave Taiwan with Japan after the World War.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jimmybcool:

OK I'm quoting mtself because I see you answered the Japan/S Korea in a separate response.

I think you give China way too much credit for ability to exert power outside fuel range of their aircraft.  But heck if they did half what you think they would we would be in WWIII and I think between Japan, Korea, USA, India and others who would join in China would be without an airforce or navy in a few months.

Whatever.  The bottom line IMO is that China has as much to lose as we do if they invade Taiwan and in fact are on shakier ground.

View Quote

@jimmybcool

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/how-chinese-attack-taiwan-could-lead-direct-war-us-beijing.amp

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Detached:
Are their any other facilities that can produce those chips?   How long would it take to set up a replacement facility?
View Quote

It takes almost a decade to setup fab up and running for the latest chips.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:15:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#22]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top