Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 19
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fingas:
I am not a millennial but due to poor life choices didn't graduate college until 2008 yet have managed to amass a decent amount of retirement savings, much of which is due to continuing to buy in during the downturns.  You can make it, it just takes tough decisions.  For the first few years out of school I didn't go out to eat much, my vacations were camping or going to Galveston, I drive my college car till it literally wouldn't go anymore without putting a down payment worth of maintenance into it.  In the past 16 years I've watched people come to work for the company I'm at and the disciplined ones are now pretty well set and the others aren't.  Yeah the disciplined ones had to drive an extra 20 minutes to work and weren't in a condo walking distance from the nightlife but that delayed gratification paid off.  

That being said it's a different world, the boomers came up in a post WWII world where we were the only manufacturing powerhouse in the world.  That era is an anomaly in US history, it was hard for any manufacturing company to not make money. There simply wasn't any competition. That era was not normal for human history and short of another world war that doesn't touch our shores we likely won't see it again.
View Quote

Bolded part is probably one of the most intelligent things brought up in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
It's politicians fault....
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Bolded part is probably one of the most intelligent things brought up in this thread.
View Quote
the b**mas in the merican gubbmint will kick off WWIII soon enough as a distraction from the economic collapse and/or pending second civil war.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
It's politicians fault....
View Quote
who's been voting for said politicians for the last 40-60 years?

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
I'm saving the little tobasco bottle, chili mac, and moist towellette for Valkyrie Brynn
https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1724215060858634240/pu/img/eDe0RUA92-S-FavF.jpg:large
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
The things I could do with her and an MRE multigrain snack bread, jalapeno cheese spread, and a heater packet would make 50 shades of grey look like a dr seuss book.
https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-25-2013/bNGwm_.gif
I'm saving the little tobasco bottle, chili mac, and moist towellette for Valkyrie Brynn
https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1724215060858634240/pu/img/eDe0RUA92-S-FavF.jpg:large

That’s a dude, dude.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Cool, that’s not the point that was being disputed. I was told that household income today should be double what it was back in the 80’s because of dual income households. Turns out that claim was bullshit.
View Quote

salaries have almost tripled since then. Teacher average was $25k in 1986, now it’s $65k. Wage growth is real and clearly other factors are affecting national medians…

Look at these salaries from 1986 and compare them to today.
https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1987/06/rpt2full.pdf

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

That's a dude, dude.
View Quote
dood.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By thedownzero:

salaries have almost tripled since then. Teacher average was $25k in 1986, now it's $65k. Wage growth is real and clearly other factors are affecting national medians

View Quote
now do house prices.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#9]
now do house prices.
View Quote

Yep $80k house at 18% then is $1500/month cheaper then a $500k house at 7%. So I’d say those wage increases plenty offset the mortgage costs of today.

I’m just so sick and tired of my generation and newer crying about it. I didn’t even go to college, don’t run my own business, no inheritance/or even family support. If I “made it” why isn’t the rest of my generation…reality is: shitty life choices.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By nmxdavenn:
This fucking millennial spend all her money on a zero turn, instead of spending it on firm handshakes and bootstraps!

And they wonder why they are in the position they are!!!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/478694/738417025_607224public_jpeg-3223873.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, I've got one of those millennial kids as well. Just completely wasteful.

She made us stop for a $9 coffee on the way to get a 7 year loan on the fanciest thing she could drive on the lot. She even splurged for the air ride suspension seat!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
9% interest on a $20k house ($530 monthly on TODAY's money) is still cheaper than "starter homes" today.

At the WORST under Carter, 18% gets you $1,085 monthly in today's dollars.

AVERAGE home price 1980 is $47k (or $169k in today's dollars). Today it is $420k.
View Quote

Do your damn math correctly. You left out wages in those times min wage then was 2.50 an hour. Plus where are you getting 9% interest rates. In the 80s interest rates were 16%-18% when Regan was POTUS in the 80s. I did home financing back then. 20k back then would buy you a high-end manufactured home min property  Plus here in Florida depending on where you move. You can get brand new homes in really nice neighborhoods for around 315k. Sometimes at 280k 1500 sq ft homes new.  The point is the cost of homes even today vary from places like NY vs Florida and rpeven then a home in Miami Beach, Naples vs central Florida vary a lot.  

The influx of illegal criminals has effected housing tremendously creating a shortage thus creating a demand and market responses. Then these stupid fucker in Washington creating an economic disaster by their politics. I struggled greatly in the 80s and 90s life is not a fairytale. It sucks sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#12]

That's a dude, dude.
View All Quotes
The things I could do with her and an MRE multigrain snack bread, jalapeno cheese spread, and a heater packet would make 50 shades of grey look like a dr seuss book.
https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-25-2013/bNGwm_.gif

That's a dude, dude.
Even better. A 6'3" tall dude will be able to carry more gear when it pops off. Any port in a storm.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#13]

salaries have almost tripled since then. Teacher average was $25k in 1986, now it's $65k. Wage growth is real and clearly other factors are affecting national medians

View All Quotes

Cool, that's not the point that was being disputed. I was told that household income today should be double what it was back in the 80's because of dual income households. Turns out that claim was bullshit.

Adjusted for inflation $25k should be $71k now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Even better. A 6'3" tall dude will be able to carry more gear when it pops off. Any port in a storm.
https://i.ibb.co/0rjq0b7/F2-AQy1-WUAAn-VPi.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:49:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#15]
Adjusted for inflation $25k should be $71k now.
View Quote

The 80k house should only be 228k, not 430k or more. I probably said this earlier, but I have a friend who bought a manufactured home on a postage stamp lot set 6 inches in the ground for the cheap price of 350k. His mortgage is twice my rent payment.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:

If you do average.

Average wage in PHX is $60k
Average Daycare is $1200
Average House is $360k
Average Rate 7%
Average gas is $4/gallon

So... How is a family of 4 going to afford that on $120k a year?

It's tough, and Boomers yelling "bootstrap" is not the solution.

If conservatives don't help find a solution, the Left will... And we all know their solution is trash.

View Quote

Have you considered that our current situation is actually due to the Left’s solution that the younger generations have been consistently voting for already being implemented?  And like most liberals, they can’t correlate cause and effect?

I’m not a Boomer, but this Boomer blaming shit gets old.  Everyone is dealt a hand.  Play that MFer to the best of your ability, make the best choices you can, and take responsibility for your own life and future.  Every single person from every generation has had their own personal and generational struggles.  Find a way to overcome them or succumb to them, it’s a choice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Not really.

Median household income 1986: 60,010
Median home price 1986 Q2: 80,700

Median household income 2022: 74,580
Median home price 2022 Q2: 437,700

Source
Source
View Quote

I just used the data I quoted which was based on average salary, not household income.  By 1986 there were plenty of two income households (after all generation X were the original latch key kids.)

But your argument stands, Average home process have gone up along with the average home size.  The bottom line is that there have been no apples to apples comparisons in this thread.

It's not surprising.  I'm 1970 the population of the US was 203 million verses 336 million today.  That 66% increase in the population logically drives home prices upwards.  The amount of land in the United States close to "good jobs" has not changed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#18]
View All Quotes
https://i.ibb.co/0rjq0b7/F2-AQy1-WUAAn-VPi.jpg
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/subnetfavoritelol-1033.gif

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#19]

The 80k house should only be 228k, not 430k or more.
View Quote

It’s everyone else's fault, blame inflation, blame supply/demand, etc etc. If you’re in your 30’s and don’t have a house/retirement…you made shitty life choices.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#20]
This is cyclic.  The young poors need to be patient and wait their turn.  Instead of crying about having to rent and have roommmates, maybe live within your means.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:54:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#21]

It’s everyone elses fault, blame inflation, blame supply/demand, etc etc.
View Quote

I haven’t blamed anyone or anything lol, just pointing out the discrepancies in the arguments made. Shits more expensive for younger gens than it was for previous gens. Some of us are sick and tired of being called fuck ups for simply pointing that out.

ETA: I’m 24 in response to your 30s comment. By the time I was making enough to consider a mortgage payment, the artificial interest rates and lower prices was over.

ETA: Damn it I forgot my own age. Was too busy dreaming of being done with school. I’m fucking 24 not 26. 1999 model with too much tism.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#22]

The 80k house should only be 228k, not 430k or more. I probably said this earlier, but I have a friend who bought a manufactured home on a postage stamp lot set 6 inches in the ground for the cheap price of 350k. His mortgage is twice my rent payment.
View Quote
your friend can afford a trailer in this economy?

goddamn, look at big baller over here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:57:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#23]
WOOHOO!!!
Coc 6
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:57:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#24]

I haven’t blamed anyone or anything lol, just pointing out the discrepancies in the arguments made. Shits more expensive for younger gens than it was for previous gens. Some of us are sick and tired of being called fuck ups for simply pointing that out.
View Quote

The millennials and gen z that own homes and save for retirement overcame the same challenges. No excuses, you made poor life choices if you’re not in the same boat.

Edited. You could’ve went into public service or the trades and been making over $100k by now. You chose to go to college and delay your adulting for four years. Some kid you graduated high school with went in military or became a firefighter and is making more money. I’m sure in time you’ll outpace them, maybe. But they’re getting a hone sooner and homes generate the most wealth in this country. Not boomers faults.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#25]
JFC these new accounts are awful.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
As a member of GenX, I have no use for either of those generations.

I’m fine with Boomers as long as they don’t use the self checkout.
View Quote

Hahahahaha
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]

It's everyone else's fault, blame inflation, blame supply/demand, etc etc. If you're in your 30's and don't have a house/retirement you made shitty life choices.
View Quote
you didn't pay off your first house at 12 with your paper route?

goddamn, son.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#28]

The millennials and gen z that own homes and save for retirement overcame the same challenges. No excuses, you made poor life choices if you’re not in the same boat.
View Quote

Poor life choices? Like what? I chose a good degree path in mechanical engineering, I work full time while I school to make ends meet. I’m working this summer at a Fortune 200 company striving to get my foot in the door to have a good job offer when I graduate in 2 years. I’m married which makes my finances doable for the time being. What “poor life choices” have I made?

Why does pointing out that shits more expensive automatically equate to “poor life choices”?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#29]
JFC these new accounts are awful.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#30]

The millennials and gen z that own homes and save for retirement overcame the same challenges. No excuses, you made poor life choices if you're not in the same boat.
View All Quotes

I haven't blamed anyone or anything lol, just pointing out the discrepancies in the arguments made. Shits more expensive for younger gens than it was for previous gens. Some of us are sick and tired of being called fuck ups for simply pointing that out.

The millennials and gen z that own homes and save for retirement overcame the same challenges. No excuses, you made poor life choices if you're not in the same boat.
What part of diverging salaries from the cost of mortgages, schooling, food, and other goods and services over the last 30 years is so hard to grasp? Yes some of us were able to get houses and save and do well but that doesn't mean we're still barely making it happen with one hand tied behind our backs compared to the previous generations that absolutely butt raped future generations for their own personal gains.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:02:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#31]
Originally Posted By 545days:

I just used the data I quoted which was based on average salary, not household income.  By 1986 there were plenty of two income households (after all generation X were the original latch key kids.)

But your argument stands, Average home process have gone up along with the average home size.  The bottom line is that there have been no apples to apples comparisons in this thread.

It's not surprising.  I'm 1970 the population of the US was 203 million verses 336 million today.  That 66% increase in the population logically drives home prices upwards.  The amount of land in the United States close to "good jobs" has not changed.
View Quote

Blackrock paying $500k for a $280k home didn’t help…and they’ll lease it to illegals for inflated rent that the government will subsidize with your tax dollars, lol.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#32]
What part of diverging salaries from the cost of mortgages, schooling, food, and other goods and services over the last 30 years is so hard to grasp? Yes some of us were able to get houses and save and do well but that doesn't mean we're still barely making it happen with one hand tied behind our backs compared to the previous generations that absolutely butt raped future generations for their own personal gains.
View Quote

@crownvic96

I like you, you can come down to my adobe hut near the dried out river to fuck my sister anytime. I’ll even share my peyote.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tsg68:

Blackrock paying $500k for a $280k home didn't help
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tsg68:
Originally Posted By 545days:

Blackrock paying $500k for a $280k home didn't help

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Poor life choices? Like what? I chose a good degree path in mechanical engineering, I work full time while I school to make ends meet. I'm working this summer at a Fortune 200 company striving to get my foot in the door to have a good job offer when I graduate in 2 years. I'm married which makes my finances doable for the time being. What "poor life choices" have I made?

Why does pointing out that shits more expensive automatically equate to "poor life choices"?
View Quote

i keep telling you:  if you'd bought a house in seattle for $250k back when you were two years old instead of pissing your money away on an iphone, stahbucks, cado toast, Lil Tikes Cozy Coupe, and a teddy bear you too could be a Billy Badass Billionaire navy squeal MMA fighter chef hardcase tough guy Gee Deer with 10 paid off rentals, 8700 SF compound off grid in 87 acres in the mountains, private jet, and harem of fully shaved 20 year old nympho supermodel girlfriends.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]

@crownvic96

I like you, you can come down to my adobe hut near the dried out river to fuck my sister anytime. I'll even share my peyote.
View All Quotes

@crownvic96

I like you, you can come down to my adobe hut near the dried out river to fuck my sister anytime. I'll even share my peyote.
Can I park my van there for a bit? I think walmarts getting sick of me living in their parking lot.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#36]

@crownvic96

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Poor life choices? Like what? I chose a good degree path in mechanical engineering, I work full time while I school to make ends meet. I’m working this summer at a Fortune 200 company striving to get my foot in the door to have a good job offer when I graduate in 2 years. I’m married which makes my finances doable for the time being. What “poor life choices” have I made?

Why does pointing out that shits more expensive automatically equate to “poor life choices”?
View All Quotes

I just want my boomer price breaks over the prices you pay and I'm not seeing that. I'd hate to think I have to pay pretty much exactly what you have to pay for some goods and services.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Work harder, quit crying. Make your own way and stop worrying about how others had it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Can I park my van there for a bit? I think walmarts getting sick of me living in their parking lot.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtXp-UnRbP3OGHvI0R9Auwa8BCjmfHpzAoXF0nYrqhew&s
View All Quotes

@crownvic96

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtXp-UnRbP3OGHvI0R9Auwa8BCjmfHpzAoXF0nYrqhew&s
"rolling probable cause"
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

There’s always room for more vans at my place
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Work harder, quit crying. Make your own way and stop worrying about how others had it.
View All Quotes

My house has been paid off for over 20 years. Either you're trolling or are a boomer and have the IQ of a potato so maybe you should go grab dinner at picadilly cafeteria and settle in for the night since it's almost noon central and you'll be sundowning soon.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Learn that your politicians hate the middle class and will do anything to cripple upward mobility because surplus income equals political power.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:07:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#43]

i keep telling you:  if you'd bought a house in seattle for $250k back when you were two years old instead of pissing your money away on an iphone, stahbucks, cado toast, Lil Tikes Cozy Coupe, and a teddy bear you too could be a Billy Badass Billionaire navy squeal MMA fighter chef hardcase tough guy Gee Deer with 10 paid off rentals, 8700 SF compound off grid in 87 acres in the mountains, private jet, and harem of fully shaved 20 year old nympho supermodel girlfriends.
View Quote

Meanwhile you’rebarely scraping by by your own admission, hoping t graduate and earn a starting salary of what? That’s your choice. Someone else might have made a choice to start working earlier and can buy a house sooner then you. That’s their choice. So just because you won’t be able to buy a house as easy is your decision resulting from your career path/decisions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#44]

There's always room for more vans at my place
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

I just want my boomer price breaks over the prices you pay and I'm not seeing that. I'd hate to think I have to pay pretty much exactly what you have to pay for some goods and services.
View Quote

Didn’t realize boomers were still in the housing market trying to find a way to start a family on early career wages.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By konger:

$60K was a pretty good income in 1986 and $80K was a dumpy house. Most decent homes in my AO would’ve been at least 2x that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By konger:

Not really.

Median household income 1986: 60,010
Median home price 1986 Q2: 80,700

Median household income 2022: 74,580
Median home price 2022 Q2: 437,700

Source
Source
https://media2.giphy.com/media/cRHgphdnVZMtRLZlT1/200w.gif?cid=6c09b952yuv22verasqyelggbmr8h4xjqqs9cnd5uet23jmx&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

get out of here with math and facts and shit.

$60K was a pretty good income in 1986 and $80K was a dumpy house. Most decent homes in my AO would’ve been at least 2x that.

Hey look, someone that doesn't understand median.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:08:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#48]

ETA: I’m 24 in response to your 30s comment. By the time I was making enough to consider a mortgage payment, the artificial interest rates and lower prices was over.

ETA: Damn it I forgot my own age. Was too busy dreaming of being done with school. I’m fucking 24 not 26. 1999 model with too much tism.
View All Quotes

It’s everyone elses fault, blame inflation, blame supply/demand, etc etc.

It sounds like you are doing what you can to succeed.    So stop identifying with failure.   If you keep focusing on it, that’s precisely what you’ll achieve.     Stop looking for excuses.    Nobody cares about your life, but you.      You’ll have your chances to amass wealth.  Stock market crash, Real estate crash, etc.   But you have to be ready and have money to deploy.  

I know it won’t do any good to say it, but you should also stop wasting time here.    It’s a gigantic waste of your potential.  
These poverty pimps can only bring you down.  Most of the Usual Suspects are making a damned good living, while exploiting your angst for cheap laughs.

I’ve seen a lot of guys check into Never-Never Land.   They were young, they stagnated, and never grew up.  Now, they are Old, but still pretending to be your age.   It’s pitiful.  Don’t let that happen to you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Meanwhile you'rebarely scraping by by your own admission, hoping t graduate and earn a starting salary of what? That's your choice. Someone else might have made a choice to start working earlier and can buy a house sooner then you. That's their choice. So just because you won't be able to buy a house as easy is your decision resulting from your career path/decisions.
View Quote
calm down, son.

calm down.

you're gonna stain your pants.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Meanwhile your barely scraping by by your own admission, hoping t graduate and earn a starting salary of what? That's your choice. Someone else might have made a choice to start working earlier and can buy a house sooner then you. That's their choice. So just because you won't be able to buy a house as easy is your decision resulting from your career path/decisions.
View All Quotes

Meanwhile your barely scraping by by your own admission, hoping t graduate and earn a starting salary of what? That's your choice. Someone else might have made a choice to start working earlier and can buy a house sooner then you. That's their choice. So just because you won't be able to buy a house as easy is your decision resulting from your career path/decisions.
Dang man, save some economy for the rest of us. How high do those bootstraps go?

Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top