User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LonghornAR:

The only way AI creates "better" things for humans is if humans allow it to. And given how sheeple were so willing to obey during pandemics and also be shaped by social media, AI certainly has a chance at being allowed to.
View Quote

It just doesn't do it well. And maybe never will. Studios have tried.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

View Quote
The posters video before you had a good comment:

The best human weightlifter is easily outcompeted by a small forklift, but we don't call the forklift "strong".

For those that think AI making a cool picture of their pet dog in a generals uniform holding a rifle is good art, I honestly feel bad for them. I'm sure it's a cool picture, but I think they haven't experienced good art that has touched them. I couldn't imagine a life without it. To me that would be like putting on corporate jingles and calling it great music. That feels psychopathic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If we get to this stage, then I'd consider listening to the robots. But until then, it's just mediocre imitations.

Attachment Attached File

(and yea I would)
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
The posters video before you had a good comment:

The best human weightlifter is easily outcompeted by a small forklift, but we don't call the forklift "strong".

For those that think AI making a cool picture of their pet dog in a generals uniform holding a rifle is good art, I honestly feel bad for them. I'm sure it's a cool picture, but I think they haven't experienced good art that has touched them. I couldn't imagine a life without it. To me that would be like putting on corporate jingles and calling it great music. That feels psychopathic.
View Quote

To be fair I don't think most people have really thought about this. Especially if when they hear the phrase "AI art" they only consider visual art. It's a lot more than that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:27:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BUCC_Guy] [#6]
It depends entirely on the target market.

I collect art.  I've considered some modern paintings (high realism), but revert back to antique.  A big part of that is I can't pay an artist the $30k they want for something that took them three months because I can buy multiple, older paintings for that much.  I'm financially comfortable, not retarded.

AI simply isn't going to eliminate the oil-on-canvas market because if we wanted something that could be replicated 1000 times, we'd be buying prints or glicees, and those are for peasants.

A lot of the art we've consumed for years has been computer assisted, like coloring in comic books, book covers, and trading card games.  THOSE are the artists that I worry about, as a creative, complicated fantasy game card would now be boiled down to a trial and error prompt for five minutes.

AI won't replace all artists.  It will, and has, replace low-end, talentless twats with an Etsy store of prints on mugs.

The canvas world should remain untouched.

Hell, I have four paintings I haven't even hung up yet.  I just keep buying more.  *shrug*

Here's King David playing a harp because. . .  reasons.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

I collect art.  I've considered some modern paintings (high realism), but revert back to antique.  A big part of that is I can't pay an artist the $30k they want for something that took them three months because I can buy multiple, older paintings for that much.  I'm financially comfortable, not retarded.

AI simply isn't going to eliminate the oil-on-canvas market because if we wanted something that could be replicated 1000 times, we'd be buying prints or glicees, and those are for peasants.

A lot of the art we've consumed for years has been computer assisted, like coloring in comic books, book covers, and trading card games.  THOSE are the artists that I worry about, as a creative, complicated fantasy game card would now be boiled down to a trial and error prompt for five minutes.

AI won't replace all artists.  It will, and has, replace low-end, talentless twats with an Etsy store of prints on mugs.

View Quote
Lol this is as funny as nut coal, but it won't catch on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:32:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#8]

To be fair I don't think most people have really thought about this. Especially if when they hear the phrase "AI art" they only consider visual art. It's a lot more than that.
View Quote
You wouldn't want to read a poem about American slavery written by an AI author? I think you and I agree about this topic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You wouldn't want to read a poem about American slavery written by an AI author?
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you and I agree about this topic.
View Quote

It's very refreshing. When I was highly distressed about this no one I talked to here or in real life agreed with me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'll make an exception for Japanese wood prints and most pre-1900 prints.  Modern, mass produced stuff is gross.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#12]
The whole thing reminds me of the "desktop publishing" craze of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Was the software revolutionary, putting capabilities in the hands of average schmoes that used to require tools and talen that took years to obtain? Yes.

Was it absolutely obvious when some dumb schmuck who had zero aesthetic sense and no appreciation of basic design principles had the hubris to publish something without any professional oversight? That too.

AI will be a tool to accelerate a good artist's productive capability. It's not going to replace it anytime soon. Some people who might have hired an artist will now think they can just do it themselves, though. The results will be... non-ideal.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]

I'll make an exception for Japanese wood prints and most pre-1900 prints.  Modern, mass produced stuff is gross.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]

It's very refreshing. When I was highly distressed about this no one I talked to here or in real life agreed with me.
View All Quotes
I think you and I agree about this topic.

AI is only going to continue improving.
Pulp fiction - sucking each other dicks
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By konger:

AI is only going to continue improving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssta0_4GkRA
View Quote

Don't get me wrong I love the funny clips made with it. There's an AI video of Joe Rogan on his podcast talking about doing ice baths in cum and the health benefits of it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Flight Of The Conchords - The Humans Are Dead
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

Virtually everything I have been reading so far is about using their models. The most I have seen said about how they built them in the first place is that they filtered the data. But they haven't said what that data encompassed in the first place.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walkure:
Originally Posted By Josh:
You can read the links, IBM has put a lot of work into AI Ethics, probably more than a lot of companies.

Or just pontificate if it makes you feel better.

Virtually everything I have been reading so far is about using their models. The most I have seen said about how they built them in the first place is that they filtered the data. But they haven't said what that data encompassed in the first place.

Yes, they have and I've linked the document already.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Hell, I have four paintings I haven't even hung up yet.  I just keep buying more.  *shrug*

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45309/4D2668CF-BE97-401F-AE0B-CC2A212186D7_jpe-3224462.JPG
View Quote

A lot of those "Etsy artists" were riding a very short wave. Their entire business model was made possible and enable by computer technology. They often raved about how much easier computer and painting apps made the creation process. Now they scream into the current of the very tech forces that let that happen for them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Ai art is created using stolen art.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:06:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: macman37] [#20]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:
The whole thing reminds me of the "desktop publishing" craze of the @980s and early 1990s.

Was the software revolutionary, putting capabilities in the hands of average schmoes that used to require tools and talen that took years to obtain? Yes.

Was it absolutely obvious when some dumb schmuck who had zero aesthetic sense and no appreciation of basic design principles had the hubris to publish something without any professional oversight? That too.

AI will be a tool to accelerate a good artist's productive capability. It's not going to replace it anytime soon. Some people who might have hired an artist will now think they can just do it themselves, though. The results will be... non-ideal.

View Quote

You’re the first one beside me to draw this connection. This is exactly analogous to Desktop Publishing. I’m the beneficiary of that wave; I was able to click a mouse creatively in a day and age that the olders (yeah, “boomers” based on their age) couldn’t, wouldn’t, or simply opted out of. It was a huge upheaval for them. They went from drawing an ad or page on paper and handing it to a tech who pasted text and images together to having to do it all themselves in the span of what, five years? It was a complete revolution. It wasn’t just about the idea anymore; it was about the idea plus executing it.

Also, the AI isn’t creating art. It’s making an illustration - some of which have gotten really neat - based on your text inputs. It’s not an illustrator. There is a difference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#21]

A lot of those "Etsy artists" were riding a very short wave. Their entire business model was made possible and enable by computer technology. They often raved about how much easier computer and painting apps made the creation process. Now they scream into the current of the very tech forces that let that happen for them.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45309/4D2668CF-BE97-401F-AE0B-CC2A212186D7_jpe-3224462.JPG

A lot of them, as you've alluded, were simply drawn toward low labor input models, which sort of defeats the "handmade" nature of what the site was supposed to embrace.

Keep an eye out for Etsy to start to fail company-wide.  They expanded the definition of "handmade" to include "artist's designs" ultimately made overseas, and they removed the ability to search by category.  In other words, if I previously wanted an oil painting of a horse, I may search "horse painting" and then would have filtered the results to handmade paintings: oil.  You can no longer filter results, so every fucking search on the site is a wall of mugs, t shirts, and bullshit, with no ability to filter down to what you actually want.

They are turning into a less-functional EBay.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By konger:

Snark but no answer from you. Just what is the purpose of art?!? Don’t give me some romanticized crap about enriching humanity. What purpose does it serve?
View Quote

Legitimate question.  Have you ever been diagnosed as autistic?

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

The only way AI creates "better" things for humans is if humans allow it to. And given how sheeple were so willing to obey during pandemics and also be shaped by social media, AI certainly has a chance at being allowed to.

It doesn't matter. For now, we have past experiences that set the contextual standards of what we like and do not like. But over time and generations, those standards shift. Sadly, I've seen people that completely trust what garbage AI tells them is the truth. Give it enough generations, humans may allow AI to define what is good or not for them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Not about how it works, I get all that.  About one of the reasons given that it is so bad.  That reason is often that it will put the human artist out of work.  I don't know if that is actually true....  I can see a world in which both exist for their own separate purposes but let's say that's true.  Let's say that AI does take the career of the human artist.  Why is that specifically such a horrible thing that we should not use AI art?

In another example, the world is pushing hard for EVs.  If that comes to fruition and ICE vehicles no longer exist....doesn't that take the career of the vast majority of oil related workers?  What of the oil rig worker and the oil refinery worker?  What of the truck driver whom works for big oil?  etc?  

How come nobody is crying big tears for them?

Fixing shoes used to be a very common thing...nobody really does that much anymore.  I don't take my shoes to a shoe repairer to have new soles put on or some shit.  I have never done that in my life and I don't know a single person who has.  Shoe repair career path is a LOT smaller than it used to be.  

90%+ efficiency furnaces do not need a chimney.  They vent out of a PVC pipe that sticks out of the side of the house at about ground level...kinda like a clothes dryer.  So the career path of chimney sweep is....not so much a thing as it use to be.

There are a ton of examples of tech eating careers and the people who did those jobs had to adapt.  They had to find something else they could do for society to make a living.  If AI does put lots of artists out of work because nobody wants their service anymore.....why is that suddenly such a big deal specifically in their case?
View Quote

Artists are mostly assholes
Oil will not replaced anytime soon
ICE is better then EVs and will be for long, long, looooooooog time
Truck drivers are still needed as a few lawsuits will make automation of trucks untenable
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
My youngest daughter is 7, and she already shows a lot of promise as an artist.  She loves to draw and paint, and easily follows tutorials to draw stuff that is surprisingly advanced for her age.

But, she will never have a career in art of any kind because of AI.

Also, the push for electric cars killing off oil jobs directly hurts me as well.

If I could push a button and erase all of the technological progress of the last 20 years, I'd do it.
View Quote

Careful bud, do you think the left getting their asses handed to them recently was just a fluke? No it was the spread of information via smartphones, alt media, social networks, etc.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#26]

A lot of them, as you've alluded, were simply drawn toward low labor input models, which sort of defeats the "handmade" nature of what the site was supposed to embrace.

Keep an eye out for Etsy to start to fail company-wide.  They expanded the definition of "handmade" to include "artist's designs" ultimately made overseas, and they removed the ability to search by category.  In other words, if I previously wanted an oil painting of a horse, I may search "horse painting" and then would have filtered the results to handmade paintings: oil.  You can no longer filter results, so every fucking search on the site is a wall of mugs, t shirts, and bullshit, with no ability to filter down to what you actually want.

View All Quotes

Yeah, it had become real obvious that Etsy was often effectively selling Chinese shit like anyone can order on those "submit your own design" sites.

I've had some good luck on there, but it's getting hard to dig through the haystack to find the rare needle.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:41:22 AM EDT
[#27]

It doesn't matter. For now, we have past experiences that set the contextual standards of what we like and do not like. But over time and generations, those standards shift. Sadly, I've seen people that completely trust what garbage AI tells them is the truth. Give it enough generations, humans may allow AI to define what is good or not for them.
View Quote

We'll probably be dead before that. Or not. We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:59:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:00:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 2:10:42 AM EDT
[#31]
What is the purpose of art?
View Quote
To impress people.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:37:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 999monkeys] [#32]

View Quote

It’s much darker than that, when you consider it.

Art collectors aren’t interested in art.  Else as you say, they would buy prints.  

Most art collectors buy inferior original art.   Say from a moderately talented local or regional artist, when they could instead have an exact replica of a Picasso for a fraction of the price.

So, what are they buying?  They are buying the artist’s time.  And time is simply life.  So distilled down, they are buying the artists life, which is a finite resource.

Humans get a perverse sense of satisfaction and status from taking away/consuming the most valuable thing other humans have - their time on earth, their life.

So “art” isn’t going away, even if AI does it better.  Chefs aren’t going away, even if robots cook better tasting food.  An ugly “hand made” piece of jewellery confers more status than a beautiful machine produced piece. And similarly, doormen and servants of all kinds are not going away.

There will alway be a somewhat dark, demented demand and status available from taking the most valuable thing another has from them.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
My youngest daughter is 7, and she already shows a lot of promise as an artist.  She loves to draw and paint, and easily follows tutorials to draw stuff that is surprisingly advanced for her age.

But, she will never have a career in art of any kind because of AI.

Also, the push for electric cars killing off oil jobs directly hurts me as well.

If I could push a button and erase all of the technological progress of the last 20 years, I'd do it.
View Quote

there were Luddites in every generation, fearing that new technology would destroy jobs / careers.
it's very myopic

Indeed, new tech destroys old jobs, in the sense that the computer destroyed the typerwriter and created orders of magnitutde more jobs.

AI will destroy some jobs and create immesurably more.   It needs a lot of support maintenance, integration, etc. It's like a self-contained T2 robot running around the battlefield.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 3:40:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ad_nauseam] [#34]
An attempt to mock 1980's Soviet Union. Everything, including  the music is AI.

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 8:13:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LonghornAR] [#35]

View All Quotes

It's comfort for me to know I don't have to grow up with this shit show of technology. My kids probably won't either. Their kids? It'll probably be implanted neurally in their bodies.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

Art collectors aren’t interested in art.  Else as you say, they would buy prints.  

Most art collectors buy inferior original art.   Say from a moderately talented local or regional artist, when they could instead have an exact replica of a Picasso for a fraction of the price.

So, what are they buying?  They are buying the artist’s time.  And time is simply life.  So distilled down, they are buying the artists life, which is a finite resource.

Humans get a perverse sense of satisfaction and status from taking away/consuming the most valuable thing other humans have - their time on earth, their life.

So “art” isn’t going away, even if AI does it better.  Chefs aren’t going away, even if robots cook better tasting food.  An ugly “hand made” piece of jewellery confers more status than a beautiful machine produced piece. And similarly, doormen and servants of all kinds are not going away.

There will alway be a somewhat dark, demented demand and status available from taking the most valuable thing another has from them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top