Originally Posted By Creatyre:

Responses embedded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xd675:
Anyone with LE experience please:

Why would you put off a search warrant when less people are on site?

Depending on the case and what you're looking for(which does not apply here), you might want to ensure that the suspect is on scene because he might be carrying what you're looking for.

Wouldnt that be safer for personnel?

Less people involved will always be safer, yes.

Would local cops be told the guy was being investigated for selling firearms without a license?  I'd hope a local agency would nope out of that.  Is there any reason I'm missing other than they were seeking a confrontation?

I would absolutely expect anyone involved in executing the warrant to be briefed on the what and why, and definitely right before it's carried out. Not all local agencies are the same. Some good, some bad.

Responses embedded.

My thoughts as well.

Even rudimentary surveillance needed to see if the victim was home would have caught him hauling a pile of weapons out.

I'm curious what the number of guns they saw as too many.  I really hope the basis for this isnt "hurrduurrr had a table at gun show must be dealer huuurrrduuuurrrr".
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
We are not free.

Not as bad as many countries. But if you think America still exists like it did for your father and grandfather, you're delusional.
View Quote

What he said. What I've said for 40 years.

Daw several mentions about cameras? Be sure they run without electricity.  They cut power to the poor bastards house prior to kicking in the door.  Widow needs to sue the fuck out of the ATF. Arfcom should support her with funding.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 5:53:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#4]
It's fairly common practice to tape/ put something over the doorbell camera during the process of serving a warrant and raid.  It's for officer/agent safety.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
And the GOP continues to fund them, why?

Keep barking, little doggie. I'm sure it is good for fundraising.
View Quote
The last time the Republicans tried to defund and disband the ATF, the Murrah Building blew up. Purely coincidental, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
You misspelled counterrevolution.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wolfdentd:
And then there are the boot licking fed BOIS in here that try to say there won't be a civil war.........We are already there and they are killing us.
You misspelled counterrevolution.
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xerxes2695] [#7]
What a shit fest. Why not just call the guy and tell him to come in?

They killed him over a subjective requirement to fill out some paperwork.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I PRAY HIS WIFE AND HER LAWYERS GET SO MANY MILLIONS ATF HAS TO GO ON A WATER AND CRACKER DIET.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#9]
What a bunch of theater, Jim Jordan is just as responsible for this as anybody else in that Congress these assholes keep passing these continuing resolutions and these Omnibus spending bills making sure that f****** Stasi organization has a huge budget.

They should cut the budget down way way down or dissolve the agency it's not even needed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
It's fairly common practice to tape/ put something over the doorbell camera during the process of serving a warrant and raid.  It's for officer/agent safety.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Lol GTFO with that bullshit, if they wanted safety they wouldn't be raiding and murdering.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:10:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#12]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

Lol GTFO with that bullshit, if they wanted safety they wouldn't be raiding and murdering.
View Quote

Clearly you've had too much lead for breakfast and don't know how it works.

If you want to know why they cover the camera it is because when serving a search warrant they don't want whoever is inside and potentially dangerous to have any advantage and see where officers/agents are standing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Exactly.  This was over a licensing dispute.  One they needed more evidence to even charge him with, hence the search.

If anything, obscuring the camera increased their risk by preventing him from using it to identify them prior to making forced entry.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

Exactly.  This was over a licensing dispute.  One they needed more evidence to even charge him with, hence the search.

If anything, obscuring the camera increased their risk by preventing him from using it to identify them prior to making forced entry.
View All Quotes

That would never be considered in JBT-think. Ref the airman shooting thread where the cop did not even make himself visible through the peephole.

Police training has just recently moved towards de-escalating situations rather than going for max drama. A bit late but a ray of sunshine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Everything up to, and including, murder is under the umbrella of "officer safety".
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I read the search warrant application and search warrant.  I think there was probable cause for the search. But I didn't see anything in the warrant authorizing a no knock raid. Therefore, I believe this was a standard knock and announce, where the police knock loudly, announce their presence,  and give the homeowner a reasonable time to open the door. Taping over the ring camera defeats the purpose of knock and announce. The whole point is that the homeowner is supposed to be alerted that police are there.  Someone taping over a camera and then knocking loudly on the door is suspicious - now a homeowner might reasonably fear it's home invaders claiming to be police.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:
I read the search warrant application and search warrant.  I think there was probable cause for the search. But I didn't see anything in the warrant authorizing a no knock raid. Therefore, I believe this was a standard knock and announce, where the police knock loudly, announce their presence,  and give the homeowner a reasonable time to open the door. Taping over the ring camera defeats the purpose of knock and announce. The whole point is that the homeowner is supposed to be alerted that police are there.  Someone taping over a camera and then knocking loudly on the door is suspicious - now a homeowner might reasonably fear it's home invaders claiming to be police.
View Quote
At this point I've seen a number of security cam videos where half a dozen hood rats stack up on the porch before one of them yells, "POLICE!" and starts kicking in the door.

We're long past the point where yelling police can be considered sufficient identification. Particularly if you're taping over cameras and hiding from the peephole.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 33hounds:
Nothing will be done about this as usual, it's just a show.

They can kill us but don't you dare even shoot at one of them, or worse.
View Quote

Unfortunately this.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Jim Jordan for president.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:06:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Creatyre] [#20]
View Quote

@danno-in-michigan

Any chance you have a link for the application and search warrant?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#21]

If you want to know why they cover the camera it is because when serving a search warrant they don't want whoever is inside and potentially dangerous to have any advantage and see where officers/agents are standing.
View All Quotes

No.

Let’s be honest here about the full design of this type of raid.

They intend to create as much confusion and fear as possible hoping people won’t resist.  The problem is that will cause many otherwise good people to reach for weapons to defend themselves because they have no way of knowing who is breaking in.  To reduce the risk to themselves, the only ones at the scene who signed up for a risky job, they create a situation where things like a man dying over an unpaid 200 dollar tax happens because they are fearing for their life.

I’m done with it.  If I’m ever on a jury and a raid is conducted like this that is not about saving hostages I’m voting not guilty for whatever the person is charged with, or holding out for maximum financial penalties.  I hope more people take this stance to create an auto lose condition for the cops.  This isn’t Iraq.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#22]

No.

They intend to create as much confusion and fear as possible hoping people won’t resist.  The problem is that will cause many otherwise good people to reach for weapons to defend themselves because they have no way of knowing who is breaking in.  To reduce the risk to themselves, the only ones at the scene who signed up for a risky job, they create a situation where things like a man dying over an unpaid 200 dollar tax happens because they are fearing for their life.

I’m done with it.  If I’m ever on a jury and a raid is conducted like this that is not about saving hostages I’m voting not guilty for whatever the person is charged with, or holding out for maximum financial penalties.  I hope more people take this stance to create an auto lose condition for the cops.  This isn’t Iraq.
View All Quotes

No.

As above +1. My son was in Iraq. The ROE were much stricter than for LE here in CONUS.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Pretty much. The one of the biggest questions from the Waco raid. Where is the front door and happen to it?

Also, FATFE.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

No shit huh? You overhear that while servicing the FATF glory hole?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Wonder how that would play out at my house?
Solar and hired wired cameras, some 20' plus high
Back up generator
Driveway alarm with an 800' driveway
Motion lights on all sides at the eves

I'd guess they'd come in guns blazing and shoot my dogs
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#26]
It is going to come down to November. They are going to do the same thing and our reaction will determine whether the kind of thing discussed in this thread intensifies or stops.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
When the man comes around
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Your local sherriff should never, ever, loan deputies or equipment to federal agencies.

The worst is an FBI task force.  That is where you send your better deputies to learn to violate the constitution, lie, cheat and steal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By shrimpmoney:
He said $265k a year and ran the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport.

I think the guy is pretty easy to find with that position.

What's the point of coming in in the middle of darkness
View Quote

Did anyone try to explain this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#31]

@danno-in-michigan

View Quote

https://www.kark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/85/2024/03/Ex.-1-Search-Warrant-003.pdf
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]

What’s the point of coming in in the middle of darkness
View Quote

And because he worked at an airport the odds of him being armed while at work are close to zero.
So if he was so dangerous why not go visit him in his office?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#33]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Another reason to put your security camera system on a UPS.
View Quote

And with actual wires, not wifi.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Or it shows they wanted to catch him with the contraband, whatever it was, to prove possession .
View Quote

He doesn't need to be there to prove something is in his possession if it's in his home when they search it.  ATF is asshole and will forever be asshole.  They wanted a confrontation and they got what they wanted.  No different than the branch dividians.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
Wonder how that would play out at my house?
Solar and hired wired cameras, some 20' plus high
Back up generator
Driveway alarm with an 800' driveway
Motion lights on all sides at the eves

I'd guess they'd come in guns blazing and shoot my dogs
View Quote

They would have a drone fly overhead and drop incendiary devices on your roof
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#37]

No.

View Quote

10 years ago I would have disagreed. Today i’m 100% onboard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By whiskey_bravo:

He doesn't need to be there to prove something is in his possession if it's in his home when they search it.  ATF is asshole and will forever be asshole.  They wanted a confrontation and they got what they wanted.  No different than the branch dividians.
View Quote

Not true at all. Spouse, family, friends, etc. They needed his phones. They needed his computer.

Otherwise, they would need a separate warrant for every location where those things are in order to seize them.

Tactically, it is a poor choice. Him in the driveway would have been my preferred method.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Naporter] [#40]

View All Quotes

Or it shows they wanted to catch him with the contraband, whatever it was, to prove possession .

This, and they also never alleged he had unlawful firearms in his possession.  Their claim was he was "in the business" without having an FFL.  

AFAIK, they've never alleged the firearms were sold to prohibited persons or were traced from a crime scene either.  Just that he was dealing without a license.
The warrant posted provides a lot of details and raises the question why they didn't just arrest him.  

He was playing the role of a dealer, transferring to himself on a 4473 for later resale.
A few potheads were found with one of the ones he sold in their vehicle at a traffic stop.  
One he originally purchased was found in possession of a 15 year old gang member.
The ATF planted a tracking device on his vehicle in February.
They used an undercover agent to purchase from him at a gunshow, where he also admitted to performing interstate transfers without passing through a dealer.  

And still, none of that justifies the violent execution of the warrant that occurred that put their own officers at unnecessary risk.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#41]
The last time the Republicans tried to defund and disband the ATF, the Murrah Building blew up. Purely coincidental, I'm sure.
View Quote

And if I recall correctly, no ATF agents/special agents were in the building at the time.

Purely coincidental, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#42]

Koresh would have probably met with the sheriff if requested.  He called them when ATF showed up.
View Quote

Yes, but so many Feds have an insatiable thirst for blood, coupled with a God complex.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#43]

No.

View All Quotes

No.

Ayup.  

As a general rule, laws and policy centered around ‘officer safety’, fly in the face of the BoR.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#44]

What’s the point of coming in in the middle of darkness
View Quote

Exactly.

Americans wanted the militarization of police, and they got it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

@danno-in-michigan

https://www.kark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/85/2024/03/Ex.-1-Search-Warrant-003.pdf

Thank you. So that answers why they wanted him on the premises, they wanted his phone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

The warrant includes his phone. Generally, we carry our phones on our person.

I don't support the ATF at all, and I'm sure they could have arranged a second team to search him at his office simultaneously.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#47]

I don't support the ATF at all, and I'm sure they could have arranged a second team to search him at his office simultaneously.
View All Quotes

Or just showed up during daytime and politely knocked on the door and shown him the search warrant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
Your local sherriff should never, ever, loan deputies or equipment to federal agencies.

The worst is an FBI task force.  That is where you send your better deputies to learn to violate the constitution, lie, cheat and steal.
View Quote

This. A thousand percent.

Link Posted: 5/24/2024 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Or just showed up during daytime and politely knocked on the door and shown him the search warrant.
View All Quotes

After reading the search warrant application, it does appear that the guy was very clearly strawman purchasing and running a business selling firearms.

I wouldn't want to be the one politely knocking on the door of someone facing decades in prison and with a whole lot to lose.

So, like I said, grab him outside of his home.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Wouldn't it be even safer to execute the search warrant when the subject isn't there?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top