Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
They just lost their child, cant imagine the pain they are in. Its enough to make some people snap... If I were on that school board, Id be watching my back
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoahFN:
There is no leadership more inept, power crazed, or heartless than that of our school systems I have found.
View Quote

I hated school, as a kid with ADHD and autism, it was always an impossible challenge for me.  You know what it really is?  It is how they introduce kids to the cold and unfeeling system, and make them into good drones for it.  

I will say this though, in 6th grade, we got a substitute teacher one day that was verbally abusive, and he humiliated one student who didn’t usually cause many if any problems in front of the class.  Some of the students complained to the office.  Our principle was a black woman with that sort of attitude many of them have, but always nice.  She wasn’t going to let that kind of thing happen at all, and in short order that sub was gone for good, never to return to our school, good riddance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My true comment would get me banned
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
That administrator's comments didn't give much of a reason. Seems like a very stupid hill for the district to die upon. No benefit whatsoever and tons of bad press and anger.
View Quote

Unfortunately public schools are a refuge for petty authoritarians who enjoy the exercise of power over others.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
That really sucks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't imagine any logical reason for not letting family stand in her place especially when she met all the requirements. How despicable an awful are these people?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:07:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#7]
Too many people that can't think outside the box.  Law or policy says no diploma, accidently hand them an "extra" blank diploma with no name on it and let the parent fill it in.  The fuck do they find these people.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see their point. Graduation is for the students who graduate. Turning it into memorial for one student isn't fair to others.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By macaho45:
Cunts, all of them.
View Quote

If it was the kid of an "administrator" the whole fucking ceremony would have been dedicated in the kid's name, with banners and memorial pictures.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
I can see their point. Graduation is for the students who graduate. Turning it into memorial for one student isn't fair to others.
View Quote

Fair to the others?
I'd be willing to bet 100% of the others had no problem with the girl's siblings accepting the diploma on her behalf.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

The other dead students that fulfilled their graduation requirements?

What were their names?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I can sympathize but they have to restrict the amount of people that can attend graduations here already.  Shit when I graduated HS 30+ years ago we had to have our graduation at a college basketball arena and it was packed to capacity.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mr_o:
Fucking deleted her name off the program!?!? What cunt lick thought that was a good idea? They should've:

1. Left an open seat with a tasseled grad cap on it where she would've been seated
2. Had 1 person accept her diploma on her behalf with an announcement of why said person was accepting her diploma

Pretty fucking easy and simple accommodations.
View Quote

This is exactly the way it was done when I graduated HS. There was a classmate of about 1/2 the students who died right before start of freshman year. Four years later we had an empty chair, one of his friends accepted his diploma, and after the ceremony was over the people that knew him presented the diploma to his parents.

Nobody got butthurt about any of it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats pretty petty..
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you lose your heart, school board?

WTF?

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Educators.

They’re the stupidest people this country has to offer, and usually morally questionable at best.

The fox is in the hen house.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By crowTrobotwork:
I can sympathize... but
some students missed their HS grad b/c of covid and then also missed their college grad cancellation due to fear of palestian protest.
What about them?

But if she completed the requirements she probably  should be honored.  There's a reason they're called American Farkers.
off shoots of the Spanish Farkers
View Quote

Dying of cancer is the same as being afraid of some dumb shit? Ok. Let the parents get their memory. Their daughter earned that diploma. The school has no right to memory hole that part of her life.

Administrators there are epic pieces of garbage and they should be ashamed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:
School district REMOVES girl's name from graduation book after she died of cancer weeks earlier despite completing all requirements: Bosses refuse to let siblings attend ceremony

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13421277/school-district-removes-graduation-book-died-cancer.html?openWebLoggedIn=true&login
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/family-not-allowed-to-walk-at-graduation-for-teen-who-died-of-cancer
https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/deceased-girl-will-not-be-recognized-during-graduation-ceremony-due-district-policy/GR75QZLQM5C5BGTR5AT54YXLZ4/
https://kutv.com/news/education/alpine-school-district-not-recognizing-deceased-student-at-graduation-due-to-policy-samantha-corey-kimberly-american-fork-high-school-commencement

A Utah school has sparked fury after removing the name of a student who died of cancer just months before graduation - despite completing all requirements.
Samantha Corey, who was battling a rare and terminal form of the disease, passed away before she could finish her senior year at American Fork High School.
As Samantha's siblings prepared to stand in her place, they were told by the district they wouldn't be permitted. Her name was also omitted from the ceremony.

'It wasn't like we were wanting special treatment for her,' Kimberly Corey, Samantha's mother, said to FOX13. 'I just think we didn't want her to be deleted out of it, so it felt like, this is how it was supposed to be, and then they deleted her name and took it.'

Samantha's family was distraught hearing the news, specially because Samantha had completed all of her graduation requirements before her death.
'We just would have liked to have her name be read, and her siblings wanted to walk across the stage for her. Her brother wanted to wear her hat,' Kimberly Corey said to KUTV. 'We weren't expecting a big to-do; we just don't want her to be deleted, you know.'
Samantha's journey with cancer began during her sophomore year, but she was determined to continue her education at American Fork High School during chemotherapy treatments.
'When you're a terminal cancer patient, you know that's not a priority,' Kimberly Corey said to KUTV. 'She wanted to be in school as much as she could, and this high school has been so good to her.'
'She was such a light,' she said. 'When we were looking at a timeline with her lifespan, our goal with her medical team was to be able to get her healthy enough to be able to last as long as graduation. She was just three months short.'

Samantha died in January 2024 at 18-years-old.

Rich Stowell, of the Alpine School District, issued a statement explaining their stance on graduation memorials, emphasizing a balance between honoring the deceased and celebrating the achievements of all graduates.
'As students across Alpine School District celebrate graduation from high school, we are mindful that some students tragically pass before they and their families get to experience that milestone.

'Plans for graduation ceremonies are guided by district policy. Decisions about specific plans reflect our sincere desire to appropriately balance the need to remember those who have passed and the opportunity to celebrate the accomplishment of all graduates.'
'We realize that not allowing for certain types of memorials during graduation ceremonies may cause additional pain for those closest to students who have passed,' he continued.
'Our school administrators have the difficult responsibility of leading with compassion and empathy to help their school community process loss within the guidelines of policy.'

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2024/05/15/15/84903275-13421277-The_Alpine_School_District_in_Utah_has_sparked_criticism_after_t-a-16_1715784018246.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2024/05/15/14/84903213-13421277-image-a-9_1715780992924.jpg

In case you're wondering who to contact regarding this:
https://i.ibb.co/9HVF0jd/Screenshot-2024-05-15-091258.jpg

Alpine School District board member whose area includes American Fork High School:
https://i.ibb.co/ggb3gtD/Screenshot-2024-05-15-092916.jpg
View Quote
Fucking heartless piece of shit bureaucrats.  Don't tell me, the decision makers have no kids.

Its probably time to ban the childless from teaching and school and school board positions.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Did you lose your heart, school board?

WTF?

View Quote

It has been my experience that lots of PHD's in education never had one to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]

ETA: lots of "Doctors"on that group. Dr. Jill Biden would be so proud
View Quote

Spies Like Us (1985) - Doctor, Doctor Scene (4/8) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By miseses:
Too many people that can't think outside the box.  Law or policy says no diploma, accidently hand them an "extra" blank diploma with no name on it and let the parent fill it in.  The fuck do they find these people.
View Quote
Childless scum who think they are better than everyone else most likely.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

It has been my experience that lots of PHD's in education never had one to begin with.
View Quote
No kids either.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

No shit. It's the fucking easiest degree on the planet to get. Can you sign up for more student loans?  Yes? Then you too can get an Ed PhD.....

I sure as hell wouldn't put "Dr" in front of my name if I were one of those people.  But I guess when they change careers to real estate, they can add "Realtor (tm)" to their fancy name tag.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Pompous assholes
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Bunch of heartless fuckwads.  Let the family have some closure.  Their daughter earned it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TontoGoldstein] [#26]
When my 17-year old son killed himself a month before graduation, we had to accept his diploma in the superintendent's office.  His name was not called during the main ceremony.

One of the reason was that they didn't want copy cat suicides because of all the attention my wife would have gotten crossing the stage.

If he had died of a disease or accident, then there would have been no stigma.  Suicides of children are taboo.  No one puts up anything in their memory.  They just disappear.

It's been 27 years.  I still cry over my son.  I'm in treatment for prolonged grief.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Devils advocate here:

My sister had something similar happen for her 8th grade graduation. The ceremony centered around the child that passed and the parents came up to be acknowledged. The entire ceremony, what should be a great night of celebration, was morbid. It was a huge downer for the kids, the staff, and the visiting families.

I can see why people would say no to it. No one wants a hundred crying graduates on what should be their day of celebration.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Bro the fuck is going on with these people?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Unfortunately public schools are a refuge for petty authoritarians who enjoy the exercise of power over others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That administrator's comments didn't give much of a reason. Seems like a very stupid hill for the district to die upon. No benefit whatsoever and tons of bad press and anger.

That’s what I though, petty tyrants. If Covid didn’t show you how there were so many willing to be Nazi middle men or shuffle papers for pol pot, shit like this does.
Disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
When my 17-year old son killed himself a month before graduation, we had to accept his diploma in the superintendent's office.  His name was not called during the main ceremony.

One of the reason was that they didn't want copy cat suicides because of all the attention my wife would have gotten crossing the stage.

If he had died of a disease or accident, then there would have been no stigma.  Suicides of children are taboo.  No one puts up anything in their memory.  They just disappear.

It's been 27 years.  I still cry over my son.  I'm in treatment for prolonged grief.
View Quote

God bless you and your family.  It’s okay to love your son deeply and completely.  I know I would.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Removed her name from the graduation book.

How can anyone justify that?  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

That’s dumb. Having her name on the program and a family me member accept her degree isn’t doing any of that, you’re just being a shitty contrarian.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:

View Quote

Can’t imagine the pain.  My son has some issues with depression and this is my worst nightmare.  Praying for you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JAD762:
Utah....

Posthumus awards are given to surviving family members all the time.

Its like the district met and said, "what's the worst way we can handle this situation."
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Ed.Ds, not any sort of real doctorate.  Means certified stupid.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Surprised the school admin isn't tripping over themselves to honor her.  They love that kind of thing here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

If it was the kid of an "administrator" the whole fucking ceremony would have been dedicated in the kid's name, with banners and memorial pictures.
View Quote

100%.  This wouldn't have turned into a memorial or funeral, either.  It would have meant the world to have the family/family member accept it in her place to honor her work and memory and cost them 0.  I hope the admins get all they deserve.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:
Devils advocate here:

My sister had something similar happen for her 8th grade graduation. The ceremony centered around the child that passed and the parents came up to be acknowledged. The entire ceremony, what should be a great night of celebration, was morbid. It was a huge downer for the kids, the staff, and the visiting families.

I can see why people would say no to it. No one wants a hundred crying graduates on what should be their day of celebration.
View Quote

It's high school. It isn't an accomplishment. It's a participation award.

They can let a parent receive the award and give no extra fanfare to the situation. It doesn't have to be a second funeral. That's not what the parents and friends want.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By crowTrobotwork:
I can sympathize... but
some students missed their HS grad b/c of covid and then also missed their college grad cancellation due to fear of palestian protest.
What about them?
View Quote

How about you, start a thread about all those kids you mentioned. That is irrelevant for this discussion.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#41]
About what I would expect out of school administrators.  God forbid they do something different.  School Board policy at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Koa:
This is cold hearted and pisses me off to tears!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Heartless bastards.  Removing her name from the ceremony is asinine.

Show me a school board that isn't full of asshats.

"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards.", Mark Twain
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By mr_o:
Fucking deleted her name off the program!?!? What cunt lick thought that was a good idea? They should've:

1. Left an open seat with a tasseled grad cap on it where she would've been seated
2. Had 1 person accept her diploma on her behalf with an announcement of why said person was accepting her diploma

Pretty fucking easy and simple accommodations.
View Quote

100% agree
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Utah....

Its like the district met and said, "what's the worst way we can handle this situation."
View Quote

This, if they’re this dumb, I hope the backlash hurts.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cmw:

Key word - after reading the title the first thing I thought of was that this was a school run by "educators" and "administrators" instead of teachers.

In any town worth a damn she would have a good chance of being elected homecoming queen and having the prom and/or graduation ceremony dedicated in her honor.

WTH is wrong with people.

Rotten pollen has my eyes watering now...
View Quote
Utah does have a long and glorious tradition of paying administrators considerably more than teachers. You're very much incentivized to go from teaching to admin. I have several friends who are or were teachers here. They all say, "I'd love to stay and teach the kids. But I can't afford it and if I get a masters and go in to admin, I get to sit in a cushy office and not interact with parents."
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:

Awful lot of people to handle the school too. I'd guess they could chop some of those jobs off and not miss a beat.
View Quote
See above comment. Also, my wife's family all graduated from this high school. They're the American Fork Cavemen. That's right. My wife is a Caveman!

Surprised they haven't been pressured to change it to CavePerson.
Originally Posted By Azygos:
This could have been handled gracefully and without drama.

Siblings walking for her in graduation attire? That's a bit much.

She met all graduation requirements. Read her name and maybe comment that she succeeded even though she wasn't there to celebrate with her class. You could even do something like have an additional decorative ribbon of her favorite color tied around the diploma.

That doesn't turn the graduation into her memorial service, and it fulfills the mission of celebrating all graduates including her.
View Quote
Agreed. A woman in my med school class was killed by her crazy estranged husband during first year. When we graduated, there was discussion about awarding her a posthumous MD. The school has done this before for those who were very close to completing requirements at the time of their death. She wasn't anywhere close. So they didn't award an MD. But they did have a brief commemoration for her at the graduation ceremony and endowed a scholarship in her name, which continues to give money to incoming students to this day, 25 years later. We all felt good about it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Utah....

View Quote

This... how fucking dumb must these self-centered assholes be?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:
Devils advocate here:

View Quote
Yeah I’m not going to jump on a DailyMail inspired rage bandwagon just yet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
Awful lot of people to handle the school too. I'd guess they could chop some of those jobs off and not miss a beat.
View Quote

I noticed that.  I suspect that you could get rid of 75% of those administrators and be just fine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Just called and yelled at them, they have recanted and are going to allow it I think
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top