Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
6 years prior LE, no it is not illegal to generally lie but there are things that if said are at least a misdemeanor and possibly a felony. Depends on the lie.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When lawfully detained, it is illegal to lie about your identity, to avoid prosceution or a process of the court.(CPC 148.9) Examples would be giving the cops a fake name  when stopped becuase you have a warrant under your real name (avoiding process of the court). or giving a fake name and drivers license number when stopped for a traffic violation (avoiding prosecution).

Giving the name of a real person, other than your own, is a felony. a fake name is only a misdemeanor.

Typical sentance for CPC 148.9 is 3-years formal probation.  Illegal imigrants 148.9 me all the time.

AR15 fan,
  Would that include giving your name but not your full name? ie; John william Smith, but just giving John William????

Roy
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
you dont have to lie, if you dont tell them shit!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LIE all you want.
they are going to shoot your dog anyway.

Fixed it.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cops are just people.  In fact, they are civil servants.  They work for you.  You can tell them any fucking thin you want.  In fact, remind them that they work for you, right before they shoot your dog....

You just keep telling yourself that
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#8]
This just isn't that black and white. It really depends on the circumstances.

As many have pointed out, it isn't legal to lie to the police about your name, date of birth or address, particularly when detained, and that is generally true in most states.

It generally is illegal to lie about a crime. If you falsely report a crime, you can and probably will be prosecuted, in most places.

If you are a witness to a crime and lie about what you saw, or fail to report a crime in some circumstances, you can be prosecuted, though this is tougher.

If you lie to law enforcement and your lies obstruct operations or cause an "emergency reaction," there are also applicable statutes that you can and will be prosecuted under, in many areas.

The feds also have a fairly general staute that used to be rarely used; it was explained to me that if you give false information to a federal investigator that is material to an investigation, that is a felony under federal law.

Results may vary according to local laws.

And yes, the police can lie to you, the courts have repeatedly held.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I do not believe in lying.

I may one day put myself in jail (if they find me doing a Bad Thing, which I doubt), but I will hold the high ground.

NOW all we need to do is make the door swing both ways.

Isn't lying to a person to elicit a confession "wrong"?  Why is it entirely legal then?  

with cops and politicians ... the end justifies the means

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:54:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think it's still legal to say "fuck you jerk off,  I ain't saying shit"
"If you don't like it call my lawyer"

now there is an ass kicking in the making if i have ever heard one

Yep, sad isn't it?  I can say that to some guy I see in a bar and if he kicks my ass it's criminal Assault.  

Not in my state you cant. In my state, if you say that to some guy in a bar its "words likely to provoke a violent reaction" and its a arrestable offense. If he kicks your ass, you still go to jail for offensive words in public.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
C'mon, YES, or NO...no response needed, just vote.

(holding my breath on that last part....)

Yes, it's wrong.

But is it ILLEGAL?

Not filing a report....just they ask, you answer....is lying a crime?

No. Since it is legal for them to lie to you I don't see any difference.

eg. Someone gets shot outside your window in a drug deal gone bad and you saw the getaway vehicle....
When the cops question you, you SHOULD say "I didn't see anything!"
This way you don't have to put your family in jeapordy from retaliation by the drug dealers and gangs that run around your town.

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, sad isn't it?  I can say that to some guy I see in a bar and if he kicks my ass it's criminal Assault.  

Not in my state you cant. In my state, if you say that to some guy in a bar its "words likely to provoke a violent reaction" and its a arrestable offense. If he kicks your ass, you still go to jail for offensive words in public.

I was about to ask if you lived in a commie country but I see you live in Commiefornica.

"offensive words"
You have to be fucking with us.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was about to ask if you lived in a commie country but I see you live in Commiefornica.

"offensive words"
You have to be fucking with us.

I actually think its a good law. Its what allows you to kick someones ass who insults your wife, child, or mother. John Wayne would approve of the law.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top