Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Weird. Never heard of them before until the wife and I were shoe shopping at Bass Pro and she brought the name up. Now a thread on here
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Mrs Rabinowitz was an OR RN for 40 years. Of all the shoes she tried the Hoka was the best for her feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back.  She wore them for nearly 20 years.

Nothing came close.  Now she is retired and wears Hokas as do I. We have been all over Europe and Asia Minor wearing Hokas.

They are top shelf in comfort and durability.
View Quote

Interesting. Hoka has only been around since 2010.  

I like them.  Moved from Brooks Ghost to Hoka ATR6.  I have just over 400 miles split between two pair that I rotate.  Plus normal wear not part of measured runs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Been wearing the Bondi 8 for almost a year. I love them. They were recommended to me after searching for shoes to deal with my plantar fasciitis (plus shitty knees and a bad hip). They helped my pain tremendously.

I'm not on my feet that much anymore, though. My current job allows me to sit down. But my previous job I was on my feet for the entire shift. But I'd still recommend them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoka One One's are the lightest shoe you'll ever wear

Feel great

expensive as hell

don't last for shit

all of the above
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
So they're the vegan who does CrossFit of shoes?
View Quote

Hoka and On Cloud, too.

I dropped a bunch of money on a pair. They’re ok but I’ll stick to Brooks from now on.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]

That’s great except we walk on hard, flat surfaces. Our feet are not designed to walk on hard flat surfaces. We are designed to walk on grass and soil. They give your feet cushioning. In the absence of living on the steppes we need padding for the bottom of our feet from good shoes.
View Quote

I get what you’re saying. My shoes have cushion, just not a ton, and certainly not an inch plus.  Everyone is different, my foot is wide and fairly squared so it makes for slim shoe options. The wide toe box of the barefoot style work for me, I wear them all day everyday. Worked 10-12 hrs on concrete and grates in Xero, or Merrell barefoot style shoes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
So they're the vegan who does CrossFit of shoes?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dale007:
Isn't that what they have Biden wearing so he doesn't tip over? Thought I heard that on the news the other day
View Quote

Yes.  My wife broke her ankle and started wearing them.  I started ribbing her about wearing the same shoes as him.  She didn’t think I’m funny.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I was recently at a hospital and the majority of the nurses were wearing them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Silas:

What exactly are we looking at here?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JRJ:
I’m not paying that much for Chinese shoes and I am not above paying a lot more for quality footwear. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12907/E9BB1F02-FC69-4D7B-87F1-33B8F13ADB54_jpe-3214561.JPG

Looks like an office guy showing off expensive boots next to a fucking file cabinet.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a pair I use on a treadmill. Works great for that. The soft soles suck when hiking. Feels unstable like the foot wants to role. Too much play planting one’s foot.

I used to wear Salomon x something for years. Quality went to shit and the new ones started hurting my feet. Tried brooks cascadia which were ok, but sole also felt too soft for me and felt a lot of rocks. Finally found oboz bridger and sawtooth. Sawtooth is my everyday shoe and mild hiking. Bridger for a really stiff sole when I’m on rougher terrain. Feet feel great with those. Should buy a bunch before they cheap out too
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Big fluffy shoes with lots of cushioning.

They are tighter on the inside of the shoe on me compared to On Cloud…I like the Ons better.  But, Hoka is a good shoe, no doubt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
my parents buy them.

they love them.

they also look dorky as hell.

but they don't give a shit cause apparently they're comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not paying that much for Chinese shoes and I am not above paying a lot more for quality footwear. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12907/E9BB1F02-FC69-4D7B-87F1-33B8F13ADB54_jpe-3214561.JPG
View Quote
JK's?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m not paying that much for Chinese shoes and I am not above paying a lot more for quality footwear. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12907/E9BB1F02-FC69-4D7B-87F1-33B8F13ADB54_jpe-3214561.JPG
View Quote

JK’s?

I’m looking at getting a set of Frank’s Raniers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
They are available in wides and I like the Bondi.  They are super comfortable for running on hard surfaces.   I'm thinking about trying the Speedgoats but I don't like the color choices Hoka has been putting out lately.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By rb889:

JK's?

I'm looking at getting a set of Frank's Raniers.
View Quote
My JK's feel like running shoes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By smokinghole:

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body and that much foam makes my feet, legs and back ache just from looking at them.  Plus they make the wearers look like they should have a helmet and mouthguard during all hours awake.

ETA: holy shit, they’re expensive! Marketing costs must be high because that shoe is injection molded foam and glue made in some chinese shoe city.
View Quote

You're not wrong, but if you have bad knees, they're a godsend.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have wide feet you will discover that you can barely drive in them and a manual transmission is not even possible because the shoes are too wide for the pedals.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought Clifton 9 Hoka's last August for running and then I got plantar fasciitis and couldn't-didn' run for months. I was cleared by foot doc to run again and bought a pair of Hoka Gaviota 5 in March and have been using those to run in and at the gym. Also bought I bought a pair of On Cloud Monsters the same day I bought the Gaviota's. The Clifton 9's are everyday wear due to the comfort and cushion.   I use the Cloudmonsters for running on our treadmill.

Our son is 10th grader and is running indoor and outdoor track and cross country and holy shit do we spend money on sneakers and spikes. He loves his On Cloud Monsters. I don't mind spending the money-he's gotten really good and is very dedicated to running. He ran eight miles after school today for track practice and getting ready for two sectional meets-Thursday and Saturday.

Hoka's are good to go !
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MT_Mauser] [#21]
My Hoka Mach 5's are my favorite 10k or longer running shoe.
Perfect weight and cushion. I alternate between those and Brooks Glycerin GTS.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Saw a coworker wearing the boots the other day, looked like some shoes Joe Biden would wear, all big heeled floppy in the back.
View Quote

lol. These are exactly what Biden wears.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JRJ] [#23]
Oops
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Have had bouts of PF and arthritis in both feet,including a big toe joint replacement. Hokas are all I wear now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Hoka Bondi SR are the first pair of shoes I have found that I don't get home limping after a full day of walking at work (11-13mi)

They have seriously changed my life.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

JK Boots OT
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife loves hers. I need to try a pair. But I keep buying Brooks for actual running.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I was a Brooks Beast, Asics or New Balance. Looked at the HOKA and ended up buying a couple pairs of Altra’s. The zero drop/offset and the toe shape works best for me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#29]
When I used to buy my running shoes directly from Road Runners Sports, they recommended Hoka.

Well, they felt ok, but didn't last long and didn't give me the support I needed. I'm sticking with New Balance - after waivering between Brooks, Asics and giving Hoka a try.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up a pair thst looked good online and were ok on my feet. After wearing them 2x I came to the conclusion they looked odd and I stopped wearing them. The thickness of the padding looks idiotic and every time I see a pair on someone I can’t get over the clownish look they have.

On the other hand I recently discovered Oboz sawtooth low 2, I’m on my feet 10-12 hrs a day -after a month of wearing them my feet feel great, and they’ve held up well in rough terrain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Not for everybody.  A lot of people I know and trust love them. They kill me.  They are not made for my Fred Flintstones.  

None of them are wide enough. At the end of the day that narrowness in the foot bed with all that cushion just makes my feet scream.

If they do work for you I hear they are great.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RLR350] [#32]
Hoka One One had a big presence at the Ironman on Hawaii when I was there a few years ago.  (I just happened to be there, not a participant).  I was fitted for a pair at the Big Island Running Company and have ran in both the Clifton’s or Bondis since.  The last few pairs I bought at Potomac River Running in Reston Town Center, VA.  My prior go to was Nike, usually Air Pegasus.

A thing to note is although they are very cushioned, they are stable.  The sole on the outside exaggerates the look of the actual height. In other words, they are not as high as they appear.

I didn’t know about the Speedgoats, but the GTX Spike looks like a good shoe for shooting matches outdoors.

Interesting, the company was founded by former Salomon employees in 2009.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I  bought a pair last June, been wearing them every day.   Comfortable and durable.   They are more money than I would normally pay but have outlasted 3 or 4 pair of the cheaper ones I would usually wear.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I wear Hoka Anacapa for patrol in the PNW and I like them alot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Daughter bought my son a pair, he really likes them.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I just left a birthday party/ family reunion, and two cousins were wearing them. Both of them went on, and on about how awesome they are. I had never heard of HOKA before tonight.

What are y’all’s thoughts about HOKA shoes?
View Quote

My daughter has some feet issues, so we're stuck buying her more costly shoes that have better support.  She's had some Hokas and they've worked well for her but they seem to wear out rather quickly, especially if used for regular running.  

Brooks have helped with her foot pain and seem to last longer.

I've heard Altra and Onn are good too but she hasn't tried them yet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Best running shoes I ever had, bar none.

To prove my point, I've met 2 people who had the same exact pair of ones as I had, all of us without knowing we had them.

They're good, and French too I think, not Chinese by design.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:20:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MaxFenig] [#38]
Originally Posted By gsiebrecht:
Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.
View Quote

This. Bondi 8 and Mach 5 or 6

I have a pair of Speedgoat 5’s with almost 600 miles hiking on them and they are still trail worthy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#39]

That’s great except we walk on hard, flat surfaces. Our feet are not designed to walk on hard flat surfaces. We are designed to walk on grass and soil. They give your feet cushioning. In the absence of living on the steppes we need padding for the bottom of our feet from good shoes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smokinghole:

As a person that wears zero drop minimalist shoes, they look like hell. I believe our feet were designed to cushion our body and that much foam makes my feet, legs and back ache just from looking at them.  

Harder material doesn't mean you should have a restricted toebox and raised heel.

Also, there's plenty of rocky surfaces in nature.

But if you want cushioning, you can always get Altras to split the difference.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Mrs. Kubota has several pairs.

RN in the ER, so on her feet all day.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Grumple:
First, they're ugly as fuck.

Second, I'll pay the same price for my Nike Pegasus that aren't ugly as fuck.
View Quote

I loved the Pegasus. Really comfortable to put down a lot of miles in them. The cushion outlasted the tread, which is an issue I've found with Brooks. I had to drop Nike after all their BS, though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:08:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajunkraut] [#42]
Made the switch from ASICS to Hoka this year and haven’t looked back. Couldn’t care less what they look like since they’re strictly for running. If you’re that worried about aesthetics, get On Cloud or something else trendy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:11:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought Hoka one one's after my back fusion surgery.  I see nurses and doctors wearing them.

The vibram rubber sole was great.   I wore the tread off them.

There was no heel impact when walking in them, they were very nice.

Get viBram.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:21:46 AM EDT
[#44]
What about New Balance…
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:41:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I just left a birthday party/ family reunion, and two cousins were wearing them. Both of them went on, and on about how awesome they are. I had never heard of HOKA before tonight.

What are y’all’s thoughts about HOKA shoes?
View Quote

They’re expensive.
People who wear them love them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Tried a pair on a couple of weeks ago. Probably the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever tried. Was going to get some for work but they’d get torn up. I plan on a pair in the future for outside of work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Anyone here tried the Norda 001 or 003?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By buckshot_jim:
I have terribly fucked up feet. Hoka Bondi are excellent.
View Quote

Same.
Had reconstructive surgery on my right foot.
Foot Dr recommended them.
I stand on concrete for 8-10hrs a day.
They are very cushy for when on my feet for a few hrs.
Weird to get used to at first. Feel like you are walking on marshmallows.
Some runners don't like them as they don't have any road feel through the sole.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:20:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigborehound] [#49]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Not for everybody.  A lot of people I know and trust love them. They kill me.  They are not made for my Fred Flintstones.  

None of them are wide enough. At the end of the day that narrowness in the foot bed with all that cushion just makes my feet scream.

If they do work for you I hear they are great.
View Quote

The Bondi line are some of the widest sneakers available.
My other pair are Asics. Hokas have different styles for different activities.
Have your feet measured at a running shoe store and have them examine your gait to get the best style and fit for your feet.
They were no more at the running shoes store than at Dick's or anywhere else that sells them.
I think Altra has the widest sneakers available, from what I was told at the store when I initially visited, but they didn't have any in stock.
Even the Hokas can vary from one pair of the same size and style. Owner of store said he bought 2 of the same size, style and the one pair fit terrible compared to the other.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Vietnam
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top