Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Classic car delusion (Page 8 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean there were improvements in the last 55 years?  Wow.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck classic cars

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HK_FTW:
Good thing OP left old trucks out of rant.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/376498/IMG_4990_jpeg-3214087.JPG
View Quote

Painted with whatever rattle cans were left in the clearance bin.  Nice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:
Nostalgia is the biggest liar you will ever meet. I hear boomer car guys go on and on about how fast their muscle car was and how modern cars are shit.
They are completely delusional, modern 4 cylinders make equal or more power than your giant v8s made. Modern cars don't need a complete tear down and rebuild every 50k miles like the cars of yesteryear.  Line any of those old muscle cars up next to a modern Mustang or Charger, it's night and day. 14 seconds used to be a fast qt mile, guys are daily driving cars that are running low 8's.

Yes the modern car is harder for people to work on themselves but if you're not a complete dumbass it is doable.

Old cars are cool but lets be honest about how great they really were.

*edit*
Before anybody starts with dyno numbers, those old school numbers are complete horseshit and has been proven time and time again.  Put them on the dyno, yall were lied to about what those cars made.
View Quote

I use this argument all the time when explaining my opinion of the 1911. And don't get me wrong, a 1911 is a great pistol and fun to shoot. And like a car from the 1960s it will serve its purpose. A car from 1960 will get you to work or the grocery store in style just as a 1911 will serve virtually all of your self defense needs. And if you want a 1911 as your daily carry or a car from the 60s as your daily driver, more power to you.

But there are way better options out there in both cases.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Classic cars have something no new car will ever have. Style.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
That tired trope LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
Originally Posted By Consigli:
I had a 69 COPO Camaro with an aluminum block 427.

Would tape a $100 bill to the dash and run the 1/4 mile with a passenger. And tell them if they could grab it during the run they could have it. G-forces always won and no one ever took my money.

Try that in your Tesla.
That tired trope LOL

I’m so sick of such full of shit stories.

They made what, 1300 427s in ‘69?
700 that went in Corvettes, Camaros, and Chevelles vs being sold direct.

So, 99.87% of people saying that they had one are full of shit.  Because I’ve heard far more people claim they bought one new than were produced.

Then, the bullshit claims of the “g-forces”.
Tell me your 60 ft time or at least your 0-60mph time and I’ll tell you the g’s.

I grew up around these cars when they were late model and new, and guys working on them in the garage, taking them to the drag strip, guys that were dirt circle track racers, people driving them still in the 80s because 74-84 or so went by before cars starting getting factory stock performance like they had from around 64-74.

Don’t get me wrong, for modern I have had the 5.0 Coyote Mustang, a 5.7 Challenger, a Z/28, and currently a 6.4 Challenger.  I started driving in the 80s, had two vintage muscle cars, shifted into TPI, etc. and even AWD turbo in the ‘90s.
Between 2004 and until last summer I concurrently had four vintage muscle cars from 68-74 from GM, AMC, and Plymouth.
I still have two.  

I can’t stop and get gas or run an errand without the non stop stupid bullshit claims.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:04:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#7]
Originally Posted By Thuban:

I use this argument all the time when explaining my opinion of the 1911. And don't get me wrong, a 1911 is a great pistol and fun to shoot. And like a car from the 1960s it will serve its purpose. A car from 1960 will get you to work or the grocery store in style just as a 1911 will serve virtually all of your self defense needs. And if you want a 1911 as your daily carry or a car from the 60s as your daily driver, more power to you.

But there are way better options out there in both cases.
View Quote
in it's original form of 5" government with .45acp offering, sure.  But a good 1911 still has a phenomenal trigger compared to most more modern guns and with thin grips & an alloy frame, a compact 1911 carries very slim and comfortable and spare mags are slim enough to practically disappear if you want more shots.  The only thing they really lack compared to modern guns is capacity... but realistically, like having a car with a 10-sec quarter mile, statistics show that capacity really doesn't play a factor in almost every self defense situation.  Add a red dot and they are on-par performance-wise to more modern solutions.

Whereas a classic 60's muscle car really only offers cool looks and sounds while bringing nothing remotely competitive in terms of utility to the table versus cars of the last decade.

Classic cars & 1911 is not a great comparison.  I think a more apt gun comparison to classic cars would be something like a revolver; they look and feel nice and carry a lot of nostalgia, but they fall short in pretty much all other performance aspects compared  to a modern single action pistol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Defcon6280:

What’s the point exactly? Heavier is better?  Modern cars routinely protect their occupants from crashes that would have seriously injured or killed anyone in a older car.  

Less weight means faster, crumple zones mean more occupant survivability.  We also have much better body working ability, paintless dent repair works much better on the thinner metal.
View Quote

You have good points about the modern structural zones, etc.

You may want to compare weights on a new Challenger, Camaro, or Mustang compared to those from the muscle car era however.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad's a boomer and had his share of muscle cars back in the day, including a '67 Camaro SS396. He has said many times that those cars weren't really all that fast, and the new cars are far superior.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
To be fair in 70's they neutered the SHIT out of muscle cars and for a long long time they were the fastest things on the street.
View Quote

They were still dogshit slow in the 60's, with a few exceptions. Most were high 12/13 second cars with traction. Not fast
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:54:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OscarD] [#11]
Something to consider is the absolute shit tires of the 60’s and 70’s. Putting modern rubber on those cars of yesteryear can easily shave a full second or more off their ETs.

Then there’s the lack of electronics. I like my 2018 F-150 and all of its comforts but it’s unlikely to still be on the road and fully functional in 50 years because finding a ECM for it in 2068 is probably not going to be realistic. Nor a replacement screen for the radio in 2048.

Finally there’s style. Old iron has it, new cars… well not as much. Park a new Challenger next to a 1970 model and there’s just no comparison. Also no six banger or four popper is ever going to sound as glorious as a big cube V8 no matter how big of a turbo you bolt on it.

It’s all moot though since gay ass electrics and regulatory angenc making laws by decree are ruining the market anyway. In 30 years we’ll all be driving lame, speed governed appliances. Well we won’t be driving them, they’ll be driving us freeing up your time to read the latest study on the 83rd gender discovered.

I’d rather go back to the muscle car era and I’m not even old enough to remember it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

I don’t need to watch the video to tell you which one I’d rather have and it’s not the soap box on the left.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
You mean there were improvements in the last 55 years?  Wow.
View Quote

A lot of that nostalgia was due to going backwards from the mid 70s all the way up to the early 2000’s as far as performance was concerned. In 1990 the best you could get in a Mustang or Camaro was sub 250 hp.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:09:29 AM EDT
[#14]
OP

let me help you with this

modern car vs classics

modern = the brunette who is a teacher and who is intelligent and soft spoken and safe

classics = the red head nurse who rides horses

the brunette is a better daily
but
who would you rather spend a weekend with
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Warspite:
My dad's a boomer and had his share of muscle cars back in the day, including a '67 Camaro SS396. He has said many times that those cars weren't really all that fast, and the new cars are far superior.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17143/IMG_0589_jpg-3214698.JPG
View Quote

That is a beautiful car!

The birth of the muscle car era was about 1964 with the 1st GTO. And the death was about 1974 with the Arab oil embargo.

And that 10 year period produced some of the most special and beautiful cars ever made.

And the same can be said for the period from 1954 to 1964. The chrome! The rocket fins! Cars with pizzazz and moxie!

The 20 year run of cars from 1954 to 1974 was magical. It was the golden age of American automobiles. No one can seriously argue that the cars were better back then. But they had class, color, personality and charisma. Something which new cars seriously lack.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:33:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FaygoJoe] [#16]
My '09 Pontiac G8 surprised a lot of Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers.  It could also corner and not just go in a straight line.

Is this Boomer?  Do people even know about the G8?  When I had it they thought it was a Malibu or G6.  

People would ask, "What's the difference between a G6 and a G8?"  I'm like, "Everything."

Not my car but similar setup...6.0L, Rotofab CAI, Corsa catback w /x-pipe, Kooks longtube headers, Vector Motorsports tune, FE3 suspension.

2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT/GXP with Kooks Headers and Corsa Exhaust
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#17]

That is a beautiful car!

The birth of the muscle car era was about 1964 with the 1st GTO. And the death was about 1974 with the Arab oil embargo.

And that 10 year period produced some of the most special and beautiful cars ever made.

And the same can be said for the period from 1954 to 1964. The chrome! The rocket fins! Cars with pizzazz and moxie!

The 20 year run of cars from 1954 to 1974 was magical. It was the golden age of American automobiles. No one can seriously argue that the cars were better back then. But they had class, color, personality and charisma. Something which new cars seriously lack.
View Quote

The classics go back even further. My ‘31 Vicky with a BOSS 302 and ‘47 Willys Wagon that also has a BOSS.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OCW:

That is a beautiful car!

The classics go back even further. My ‘31 Vicky with a BOSS 302 and ‘47 Willys Wagon that also has a BOSS.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/D293B5E1-DABC-425D-A8F5-D243FA83D264_jpe-3214736.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/F08559EC-AFD3-45EA-A0FF-FCAEB91CEF3A_jpe-3214737.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/79EAD481-2791-4BB0-9DED-A0FA20D24D74_jpe-3214739.JPG

Those are very nice. Works of art. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Strela:

But not with that all-American, big block rumble that's part of the total experience.  My son's 5-speed, 427 at full-song is the automotive equivalent to The Ride of the Valkyries, with more panache than any rice rocket.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/CobraChristmas21_jpeg-3214462.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
Originally Posted By Singlestack_Wonder:
1966 Shelby 427 Cobras routinely went from 0 to 100 and back to 0 in 13 seconds.

I've yet to see small aisian cars with fart mufflers do that.

I have seen a substantial number of small Asian that can that can do that

Hell, in the early 70s, the best affordable sports car was the 240Z.

But not with that all-American, big block rumble that's part of the total experience.  My son's 5-speed, 427 at full-song is the automotive equivalent to The Ride of the Valkyries, with more panache than any rice rocket.

I'm a fan of all fast cars not picking sides.  I like driving a 500 hp turbocharged four cylinder as much as a 500hp V8. Big power in small cars is always a blast regardless of what noise it makes
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OCW] [#20]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OCW:

That is a beautiful car!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/D293B5E1-DABC-425D-A8F5-D243FA83D264_jpe-3214736.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/F08559EC-AFD3-45EA-A0FF-FCAEB91CEF3A_jpe-3214737.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/79EAD481-2791-4BB0-9DED-A0FA20D24D74_jpe-3214739.JPG

Thanks. The Vicky is an all original steel car. Aren’t those fenders gorgeous?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:05:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usp4u] [#21]
Okay, i let it go far enough, lol.

As a "young" guybthatvworjs with the "old" stuff as well as the "new" stuff.........

It's literally a wash.

Seriously.  In engines and suspension.

The "old" stuff has has 60+ years of development

The "new" stuff is simply ripping off the lessons learned from 60 years of the old stuff.

I own both, they are both incredible.  I have a blown 807hp modern car.....I have a 978hp NA old school car, I have a 455hp 'mellow' car.......

You want to be "bad"?  Do something similar.

Be BAD.  We all appreciate it......but don't stand around with a stock WRX and tell the "muscle car guys" how gay they are....most of them will surprise you.

Go make friends, go ask questions, go learn about their cars.........you likely find that those guys LOVE  talking to a younger fella.

At least that's been my experience.

Wanna guess how I got there?

Yup, local guys that encouraged me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:14:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:

I was struck by the rise of restomods at Barrett-Jackson this year. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that Preston's were looked down on and it was sacrilege. Restomods were cheap and the all originals were big bucks. This year, I watched what seemed like about 8 restomod '66 Vettes go for $250k each, give or take $7,000. It was impressive and consistent.
People are apparently tired of their cool old shit being slow and the market shows.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

I  believe that's what's called "resto-modding" ... or at least a subgroup of that category.

MegaSquirt for the win.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/mopar/megasquirt-vintage-ignitions-mopar-fuel-injection/

I was struck by the rise of restomods at Barrett-Jackson this year. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that Preston's were looked down on and it was sacrilege. Restomods were cheap and the all originals were big bucks. This year, I watched what seemed like about 8 restomod '66 Vettes go for $250k each, give or take $7,000. It was impressive and consistent.
People are apparently tired of their cool old shit being slow and the market shows.
I do restoration.  It's a different age bracket.  Our customers that like original stuff are all over 65. Living in their past.   The restomod guys are younger guys that like the look of older cars but want power, handling, and often a more custom look.  The old buyers aren't buying anymore and the new buyers aren't dishing out a quarter million dollars for something they won't enjoy driving.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Best of both worlds.. just shove an LS in a Miata. Probably cost half as much or less too.  Never driven a Cobra that wasn't fucking terrifying
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By anesvick:

Best of both worlds.. just shove an LS in a Miata. Probably cost half as much or less too.  Never driven a Cobra that wasn't fucking terrifying
We put an ls3 in our mechanics 92 Tacoma lowered mini truck at work.  Lot of fun to drive but we are gonna tub out the back for some wider tires for more traction.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Women say a lot of things.

Like that they aren't attracted to muscles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/1000008225-3206270.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MontstrSp:
And truthfully, the worst part about driving musclecars is all the dudes trying to talk to you every time they get the chance.

Dudes think women love muscle cars. They don't. Women loved my Miata. They like my CRX. My wife thinks my old cars stink.

Women say a lot of things.

Like that they aren't attracted to muscles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219476/1000008225-3206270.gif

LOL, looks like she's having an orgasm just standing there.

Back on topic, my '87 LX 5.0 had a few mods straight from Ford (3.73 rears(?), Flowmasters, and some engine mods...it's an interesting story about this car). It was a fricken beast. It was ridiculously quick (the rears limited the top speed, however) and sounded like two dragons having sex.

Having said that, my '14 GT 5.0 beats the everloving crap out of that '87. The LX might be as quick as the '14 off the line and it sounded badass, too, but I suspect the '14 would pull away from the '87 not long after the shift to 2nd gear. There is no circumstance where I'd want that '87 over this '14, other than maybe a car show, but even then I'm not sure about that.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Everyone forgets that tire technology has also come a very long way in the past 60 years.
The original tires on those 60's cars were extremely skinny and hard.
Compounds?  "Yeah, we've got one.  It's hard as woodpecker lips, and you'll like it because that's all we've got".
"And you'll take the two-ply bias tires too, you selfish prick!"
"We'll make 4-ply tires when we get around to it".
Nowadays, you can buy some damn good tires, and shocks too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I just drive my cheap [coupla grand] little old no HP car and have fun on the back roads for pretty much nothing.

Never cared what someone else liked, that is up to them to decide what gives them the biggest bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#27]
My 76 vet came left the factory with 180 hp

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Honestly, I've never heard any of the car guys that I know say that classic cars were "better" than cars today... just cooler.
And, there's nothing wrong with wanting to own something for no other reason than it's cool. That's what America is all about.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:13:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#29]
I dont think there is anyone out there actually disagreeing with you.

And if you are in an argument with someone that started this prompt, for instance on twitter or something. I guarantee they are a 13 year old.

Way to let a 13 year old piss you off. He won.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Are classic car guys really deluded on their car's performance?  

Other than the jump coke cans crack head liers I don't think anyone believes they were fast.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By gpoman:
“I have to get what I put into it”
View Quote

You trying to sell a car or your custom glock with stipple, undercut, threaded barrel, milled slide, red dot, light, sights, trigger, magwell, and $50 +2 baseplates?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CulperJunior:
Sometimes it's not about numbers. My 63 C10 looks way cooler than any mass produced modern shitbox.  It's the eyeball factor, son.

<---not a boomer
View Quote

I love the looks of old trucks to, but your C10 was mass produced.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By fssf158:

I love the looks of old trucks to, but your C10 was mass produced.
View Quote
And?

Go price one of those mass produced trucks, I'll wait.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Beauty of the classic cars, you didn't buy them fast.  You built them fast.  They were personal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree with OP.
Even with all the epa garbage you can't deny technology and the incremental power and size creep race manufacturers find themselves in.
Every few years they try and squeeze more power and economy out of a product line just to say they have 100 lbs more towing than their competition etc.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FaygoJoe:
My '09 Pontiac G8 surprised a lot of Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers.  It could also corner and not just go in a straight line.

Is this Boomer?  Do people even know about the G8?  When I had it they thought it was a Malibu or G6.  

People would ask, "What's the difference between a G6 and a G8?"  I'm like, "Everything."

Not my car but similar setup...6.0L, Rotofab CAI, Corsa catback w /x-pipe, Kooks longtube headers, Vector Motorsports tune, FE3 suspension.
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/3869417492_88343a3ff0_b.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD4aHwIuMRc
View Quote

The G8 is a Holden VE Commodore. Made in Elizabeth, South Australia. They didn't sell many because most people had no idea what it was, as you said.

They tried again a few years later with the VF Commodore as the "Chevy SS". It sold about as well, because people suck and we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Personally, if I could have one of those older ones, I would rather have
it as stock off the showroom floor rather than beefed up. Not really
interested in a speed machine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#38]
As someone who grew up with muscle cars from that Era and is a gearhead, and got old. Newer cars are far superior....but there is the aftermarket which creates updated products for those classic icons.
My 68 Camaro resto mod is a mix of bothe worlds. It rides like a new car..not a new 68. A new car. The suspension has all been replaced. Interior is all leather. Still has the obnoxious and loud big block..which is now fuel injected. A 42 mile round trip is 3/4 tank of gas..then my old ass bought a second gen V sedan. It has been modified. Though it still rides like a Cadillac, has the same HP as the N/A camaro. All the creature comforts, but it doesn't feel the same....
As the ARFCOM addagr goes..."Get Both"
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Tommy2399:
My 76 vet came left the factory with 180 hp

View Quote

Mine only made 150.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

LOL, looks like she's having an orgasm just standing there.

Back on topic, my '87 LX 5.0 had a few mods straight from Ford (3.73 rears(?), Flowmasters, and some engine mods...it's an interesting story about this car). It was a fricken beast. It was ridiculously quick (the rears limited the top speed, however) and sounded like two dragons having sex.

Having said that, my '14 GT 5.0 beats the everloving crap out of that '87. The LX might be as quick as the '14 off the line and it sounded badass, too, but I suspect the '14 would pull away from the '87 not long after the shift to 2nd gear. There is no circumstance where I'd want that '87 over this '14, other than maybe a car show, but even then I'm not sure about that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3241/IMG_0438-2983469.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3241/1987MustangLX_JPG-3133834.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3241/IMG_3139-2996419.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3241/IMG_6722-3175018.jpg
View Quote

But I get it, I had a 91 LX 5.0, it didn't handle as well as the F bodies but it sounded great, plenty of go fast mods.

But lets face it, brand new I think it was $12k, maybe 13, it was obtainable, plenty of vendor support and while not a super car, you could open it up without committing a felloney

I wish I had kept mine even though my Audi would smoke it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#41]
I love the simplicity of older iron. Modern vehicles are great but becoming less affordable to own with each passing year of late.

There are a couple old cars and trucks I've owned that I wish I would've held on to.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Cars are for getting from A to B
View Quote

Rated Troll! GTFO!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Your mothers mini van could beat most

So what
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:43:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#44]
Originally Posted By Solace22:just to say they have 100 lbs more towing than their competition etc.
View Quote

That's 13% actual improvement and 87% marketing guys.  They aren't actually making small improvements that often.  They are 1-upping each other.  Chevy advertises 400HP, ford advertises 410HP, next year chevy advertises 420HP.  When they run the car on the dyno, they can make it say whatever number they want.
Rinse and repeat.  They've been doing that since the classic car days.

And they are conditioning the buyer.  Every year, the vehicles get a little bigger and a little more expensive.  If they made the change abruptly, nobody would buy a $80k pickup truck with a 6ft bed.  But they make the change incrementally, and now every neighborhood is packed with them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
I do restoration.  It's a different age bracket.  Our customers that like original stuff are all over 65. Living in their past.   The restomod guys are younger guys that like the look of older cars but want power, handling, and often a more custom look.  The old buyers aren't buying anymore and the new buyers aren't dishing out a quarter million dollars for something they won't enjoy driving.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

I  believe that's what's called "resto-modding" ... or at least a subgroup of that category.

MegaSquirt for the win.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/install/mopar/megasquirt-vintage-ignitions-mopar-fuel-injection/

May a billion fucks be upon Barret Jackson and Mecums. Drove the price of most cars to insane levels. Every time I got a raise/promotion or advancement in my career the damn things still stayed out of my grasp to the point they/were going for 2-4x what bought my house for. Couple of my buddies that were a little older than me and more established were able to get some nice muscile/pony cars from the 60's in the mid/late 90's before everything went off the rails with the drunk boomer alpha's auction competition brigade ruined it for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
Classic cars have the designs that people love. The best rebuilds are when someone takes a classic body and installs all new internals so its a much more modern vehicle. Revology does this with their Mustangs, downside is the cost unfortunately.
https://revologycars.com/car/1968-shelby-gt500kr-convertible/
https://revologycars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/66mustang_22_fastback_parked_in_front_of_vickers_metal_works-2.webp
View Quote

Excuse me while I run back to the lottery thread…

I’d go bankrupt buying cars like the Revology Shelby and the Singer 911RS.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
May a billion fucks be upon Barret Jackson and Mecums. Drove the price of most cars to insane levels. Every time I got a raise/promotion or advancement in my career the damn things still stayed out of my grasp to the point they/were going for 2-4x what bought my house for. Couple of my buddies that were a little older than me and more established were able to get some nice muscile/pony cars from the 60's in the mid/late 90's before everything went off the rails with the drunk boomer alpha's auction competition brigade ruined it for everyone.
View Quote
Preach brother preach.

It used to be you had to have something to get on BJ, like a yenko but now they'll roll any ol piece of shit over the block.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FaygoJoe:

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2601/3869417492_88343a3ff0_b.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD4aHwIuMRc
View Quote

Yes, it was very, very boomer.
Take a company that in the 1960s had about 50% market share, was a key peak America player ushering in the muscle car era, holder of THE American two seater sports car, which new Engineers, Architects, Pilots, executive track men bought, that superstar astronauts drove, etc.
Establish  a mark one / mod one boomer in as CFO, VP, President, and COO for the 90s, who started out with still having almost 40% market share, make them CEO/Chairman in 2000, and by 2009 your company has under 20% market share, is importing performance models from Australia, is losing something like 10B a year.

It was a 13 second / quarter mile sedan, a pretty small market niche, imported briefly by a division that was soon to disappear of a company filing for bankruptcy.  
A division that had to import its brief new GTO, a model that had been an icon of the muscle car era.

Of course almost nobody knows/knew about the G8.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

Excuse me while I run back to the lottery thread…

I’d go bankrupt buying cars like the Revology Shelby and the Singer 911RS.
View Quote

If I had big lottery money I'd want one of the Kimera Lancia EVO37 restomods.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

It’s an interesting dynamic.

I know some younger all original types, but it’s mostly collector/investment niche.
The same kind of guys that also get a 1960s Omega Moonwatch or Rolex Submariner.
Or hunt down a NIB S&W 29 from the 50s or early 70s.

I know a wide swath of guys that want, say, a car that looks exactly like a 1967 Corvette or 1969 Dodge Charger, etc. on the outside, but with all modern drive train, suspension, interior, etc.  From young to old.

But that’s so cost prohibitive they often do a lesser cost restomod with some more basic updates/improvements.

But I don’t really know anyone wanting “custom look” body changes on the classics.
What looks are you seeing/talking about?

Page / 16
Classic car delusion (Page 8 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top