Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have good insurance? I hope so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am disgusted at some of the responses in this thread - suggesting accusing the neighbor of hitting the dog, making up lies about leashes and about the neighbors behavior, etc.  I completely agree to NOT admit anything, and to use ANY legal avenue to keep your dog safe (and to get a lawyer if necessary), but some of this bullshit is depressing.  Are there really SO MANY people on ar15.com that have no concept of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and ACCOUNTABILITY?  

The fact is that his dog attacked and bit a neighbor (seemingly completely unprovoked).

Hopefully it'll not escalate to lawyers, etc - and you'll just be required to keep him leashed in the future (and will probably get a warning the a second bite will result in him being taken away).  I'm guessing and HOPING that the first bite is not something that can result in the dog being taken away - especially if you can document vaccinations.

Fingers crossed that everything will work out well !!!  

A big +1 for DK's personal responsbility diatribe!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you still trust your dog to be a good dog?  Can you absolutely guarantee that regardless of it's upbringing and breed, it will never snap at a kid or a neighbor?

If not, destroy it.  It is the responsible thing to do.

Edited to say:  DKProf is 100% correct!!!

You may have the option of giving the dog away to a good home where there are no neighbors, or similar dangers.  My grandfather gave his young Vizula to a Hunting Club when he bit a cleaning lady.  He spent the rest of his years channeling his energy and pointing out pheasants with the best of them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Depending on the laws in his state, not talking with the Police isn't just gonna turn out pretty with the cops leaving and him heading back to the computer.   There's definitely probably cause that the incident occured, the best thing you can do is answer truthfully to the officers what happened.  If it comes to putting the dog down thats when you get a lawyer
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am disgusted at some of the responses in this thread - suggesting accusing the neighbor of hitting the dog, making up lies about leashes and about the neighbors behavior, etc.  I completely agree to NOT admit anything, and to use ANY legal avenue to keep your dog safe (and to get a lawyer if necessary), but some of this bullshit is depressing.  Are there really SO MANY people on ar15.com that have no concept of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and ACCOUNTABILITY?  

The fact is that his dog attacked and bit a neighbor (seemingly completely unprovoked).

Hopefully it'll not escalate to lawyers, etc - and you'll just be required to keep him leashed in the future (and will probably get a warning the a second bite will result in him being taken away).  I'm guessing and HOPING that the first bite is not something that can result in the dog being taken away - especially if you can document vaccinations.

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yes, DK_Prof is 100% correct.  Suggesting illegal activities is against the CoC.

Mind your comments, please.

As a side comment and not to hijack this thread, but as the United States has over 11 million laws on the books, are we, as users of this board, required to know each law so as not to go against the CoC?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Wewww OK the cops just came by asking for directions to give someone a summons for jury duty when he saw my handgun on the kitchen table and we have been talking about guns for the past 10 minutes and drinking lemonaide.  I gave him directions and he left.  

Ok now to find a place to send the golden until this blows over...
what should I do about my lab?  She had nothing to do with this, but if the cops/dog catcher come looking for a dog all I will have is my lab.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My dog bit a kid about 4 years ago. The kid scaled a 6ft wall and started hitting the dog. The kid was a neighbor kid always getting in trouble and juiced up on ritalin.

Anyways, a neighbor saw the kid kicking and hitting the dog. The dog bit him on the hand, but we had all our bases covered; license, shots, etc.

The kids mom took him to the ER, which I offered to pay for, and the Dr/hospital under law had to report it to the dog cops. They came out and we had to quarantine the dog for 7 or 10 days.

The woman never got a lawyer, but we did just in case. He told us we were lucky cause the average dog bite is somewhere, small bruise/non puncture, around 20g.

If any skin is broken, or stiches are required the kid gets a Hummer for his 16th bday and college paid for.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can you absolutely guarantee that regardless of it's upbringing and breed, it will never snap at a kid or a neighbor?

If not, destroy it.  It is the responsible thing to do.

I think that's a little over-the-top.  No one can absolutely guarantee anything about the behavior of an animal.  If we held to that, every dog in the world would have to be killed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wewww OK the cops just came by asking for directions to give someone a summons for jury duty when he saw my handgun on the kitchen table and we have been talking about guns for the past 10 minutes and drinking lemonaide.  I gave him directions and he left.  

what should I do about my lab?  She had nothing to do with this, but if the cops/dog catcher come looking for a dog all I will have is my lab.

Wow, how lucky was that!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, DK_Prof is 100% correct.  Suggesting illegal activities is against the CoC.

As a side comment and not to hijack this thread, but as the United States has over 11 million laws on the books, are we, as users of this board, required to know each law so as not to go against the CoC?

Ignorance of a law has never been an acceptable defense for not adhering to a law.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Take responsible action with the dog you can no longer trust to keep his master out of hot water.  The other dog isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I think we need to know what the relationship with the neighbor is before doing anything beyond the usual "don't say nuthin without a lawyer" advice (which is good advice, btw)

Sorta surprised the cops showed up (how bad was this bite? Is he getting an ambulance or something? Did he call the cops or did another family member (sometimes folks who weren't there can get hysterical)

I can see if I just got bit saying "you better put that dog down" then reconsidering after I had cooled off a bit.

Need more info, in the meanwhile, I will take this opportunity to blame & bash the French (because they suck), Al Gore (because he's a boring old douche-nozzle), and the state of Illinois (for unrepentent gun-grabbing)

Good luck Mr. Phelps.
This post will self-destruct in 10 seconds

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh man now I got the shakes
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lying to the police is universally illegal.

I understand that, but I am asking about the fact that as we have to follow the CoC to continue using this internet forum, are we required to know all 11 million laws?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If the guy goes to the hospital, and if the law is like Kalis, the Dr will have to report the bite to animal control.

Animal control WILL show up to quarantine the dog and check shot/license records. Why go hiding the dog?

They're not going to haul the dog away.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Agreed.  The lack of responsibility and accountability sounds very liberal democrat to me.  OWN UP TO IT, SUCK IT UP, AND DEAL WITH IT.  

ETA: Maybe the neighbor knows that the person in questions has firearms and is more comfortable having the PD confront the individual as they may not really know the individual very well.  

Unfortunately there are a lot of wackos out there, you know, the kind we have guns to protect ourselves against.  The victim may not know which side of the fence the individual in question is on, hence reluctance to confront directly.  

People get shot over things like clothing after all...

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I understand that, but I am asking about the fact that as we have to follow the CoC to continue using this internet forum, are we required to know all 11 million laws?

Holy cow...are you serious?  I'll let you take a guess on that one.  

Sorry 82ndAbn, I am not trying to bust your chops.  I am completley serious, as we are required to not post anything that can or does violate any U.S. law, and I presume any law on any books that AR15.com reaches, I am really trying to find out if we are liable (account locks or thread locks) for knowing all these laws.

ETA:  Ignore this, I am going to start a new thread int he team members forum to go over it in depth.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you neighbor destroyed and tested.

You want to make sure your dog didn't catch anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Really?

Yes, of course. Especially if you are a suspect in an incident. Really folks, this incident is a matter for the Animal Control Officers, and as long as his paperwork is in order, it is not a repeat incident, etc  he'll most likely just get a ticket and have to pay some medical bills. Good luck, learn from your mistakes ( and everyone else learn from his mistake too ), and lets move on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I agree with those who advise honesty. Call your veterinarian and ask their advice. They will know the local laws and customs, and also may be able to help with any quarantine if mandated by law. here I would advise my client to offer to pay medical bills, which probably won't be much, as good faith effort to keep neighbor from doing anything stupid or drastic. I would also purchase an umbrella policy on your home owners to cover any future incident. I would also advise having a professional trainer evaluate the dog to determine if it is a future bite risk, and how to minimize that. Sometimes nice dogs will bite, just like sometimes nice people will strike if they feel threatened. Your dog may also have a reason to not like this person, so be careful. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#28]
hide your dog at a chinese restaurant. admit nothing. call your lawyer, ASAP. be nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

A big +1
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Well according to the Libertarian Party that you love pushing on others you should:

In addition, Libertarians would do more than just punish criminals. We would also make them pay restitution to their victims for the damage they've caused, including property loss, medical costs, pain, and suffering. If you are the victim of a crime, the criminal should fully compensate you for your loss.

So get ready to shell out a couple hundred thousand in pain and suffering and medical costs, after all that's the system you are in favor of.  It looks like you would be getting off cheap with just the destruction of your dog.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#32]
You are responsible for your animal.  You already failed when you didn't leash the dog.

What happens after this depends on many things.  But ultimately you have a ALL the responsibility here.

So don't be trying to weasel out of anything or blame anyone other then yourself.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

not to make light of this whole situation, but when the cops knocked on the door, did you start hollering "I didn't do it! I've never seen that dog before in my life! I thought the neighbor was going to attack me! I just got home, I wasn't there, I didn't do it, no one saw me, you can't prove it, AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

(and the cops are just standing there looking like this >>> then ask for directions...

(sorry man, I know it's a bad situation, but it does seem like a good Seinfeld episode)

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
lawyer up.

accusing him of hitting your dog, well, dunno...

I can't and will not do that.

It was completely my fault and I should have had the dog on the leash.
To be honest I am more upset that my dog did that.  Right now he is locked in the bed room.  I am so fucking pissed at him that I can't see straight.

Glad to hear this!

Good luck man.

SGatr15

PS  The rest of you suggesting he lie need to re-evaluate a few things...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Go to the neihbor.
Tell him how sorry you are and that it will never happen again.
Tell him you will keep the dog on a leash, attend a obedience school and pay REASONABLE medical bills.
Ask him what he wants you to do?
Be civil and humble.

TAPE IT!!!

If you can resolve it as gentlemen, it would be best.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lying to an LEO is bad advice no matter how you look at it...and probably illegal too if it involves an investigation.  You don't need to read lawbooks to know that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#37]
personally I would destroy the dog.

As much as I like my dog, if she bit someone w/o provoking, I have no choice, dog would be put asleep.

funny thing of all of the biting I hear about, it was either a pit or a golden retriever
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lying to an LEO is bad advice no matter how you look at it...and probably illegal too if it involves an investigation.  You don't need to read lawbooks to know that.

Arggh, read the thread, I am not at all advising anyone to lie to a LEO.  Read the thread.  Please.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually its not illegal to lie to them but it is illegal to file a false police report
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Arggh, read the thread, I am not at all advising anyone to lie to a LEO.  Read the thread.  Please.

Sorry.  This thread is moving real fast.  Hard to keep up.l
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually its not illegal to lie to them but it is illegal to file a false police report

<---grinning a slightly evil grin.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Tagged.

Good luck buddy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#45]
As an insurance agent, DO NOT, if you can avoid it, report this to your insurance company just yet.  Talk to the neighbor, apologize, pay his medical bills, and get him (hopefully) to sign a document saying he accepts your payments and will not sue you.

If your HO insurance finds out about this, they may drop you.  Insurance companies pay out big $$ every year for dog bites.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Ban Golden Retrievers!
Animals like that should not be around families and living in neighborhoods.
You can see, they are like a loaded gun with free will!
Damned Assault Animals!
/sarcasm
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If it were me, I'd put my dog down post haste, and offer to pay for the medical attention.

I swore to my dog when she was a pup that one snarl or nip at the kids, or an angry bite at someone that didn't deserve it, and she would get deep sixed, with a bullet.

She isn't stupid.  Her life is far too good to mess it up like that.

I wouldn't put the dog down.  Give me a break.  Were you there?  Do you see what happened?  

I am glad you and your dog have great conversations but you seem a bit over-zealous on this issue.  A dog is a dog.  Dogs do not only bite out of agression.  They bite in fear and prey drive as well as defense.  Why did the dog bite is the question.  Putting a dog down for a bite on the butt is so over-board if you were not there and cannot assess the situation.  

It is by his own admission a completely un provoked attack.  I didn't need to be there.  A dog ran over and bit a neighbor.  Now VTHOKIESHOOTER has some serious potential liability issues here.

Can he trust his dog to never do it again?  Who cares why he actually bit.  This isn't a BG breaking through a window at 1am.

You really need to think about this Defcon.  You have a pet, and he becomes a liability.  Fix the problem like a man.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Lawyer up.

Contact your homeowner's insurance company.

Be prepared to lose your dog.

Work with your neighbor.  Try to save rover....but be ready for the worst.

You are doing the right thing so far.  You have accepted responsibility.

Fortunately it wasn't a child.

Golden retriever huh...?  That IS strange.  In the fifteen years we had ours, he only growled at one guy, a repairman he saw as a threat...and NEVER bit anyone.   Biting seems to be way out of character for a golden.  Is he ill...or right in the head?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I have some questions before I chime in. Was the guy on your property? Did the dog go over a fence? At least in PA, you are responsible for whatever your animal does. If it goes off the property and damages something/kills something/attacks someone, the owner is responsible.

I had an incident a few years ago, where the owners of this big Rottie didn't leash the dog; they just let it roam the property, which did not have a fence. When I go walking, I always walk on the opposite side of the road from a known dog owning house, so as to keep some distance. This Rottie had the bad habit of coming up to the edge of the property and snarling at me. One day it decided to cross the road, approaching me. The owner was nowhere in sight. I ended up drawing my gun, and yelling "NO! Go Home" to the dog. Dog stopped about 8 feet from me, in the middle of the road, growling at me. I started yelling "Hey, come and get your damn dog" several times, very loudly. Owner finally came out, and freaked out when he saw that I had a gun out, pointed at his dog.

He started saying "dont shoot my dog, he won't bite you". I yell back "if that dog takes one step closer, he's dead". I told him that he was irresponsible not keeping the dog on a leash. He came and got the dog, and walked off in a huff. I said "next time I WILL shoot your dog, dumbass". He gave me the finger and went inside. Not too smart, considering I had a gun in hand.

I ended up going home and having animal control pay a visit. They informed him that I was in the right, and would have been justified in killing the animal if I thought I was in danger. The primary caveat was that I could only do that if I was not on the guy's property (which I was not). He got a $75 ticket, which seemed to have wised him up more than seeing a guy nearly shoot his dog, as I haven't seen the dog since.

+1 on DKProf's statement of being responsible for the dog leaving the property to attack someone, regardless of why.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#50]
First, you must offer to take the injured person to a doctor! This looks best if he decides to take legal action.  Second, the dog must be placed under rabies observation for ten days (this is Ga. law) in an animal hospital or county shelter at owners expense.  This is reguardless of vaccination (again Ga. law).  Most time home owners insurance covers you for " one bite".  I believe that Doctors report the bite to animal control so the animal will be properly quarantined.  If the doctor does not do it, it now depends on if the popo was called or not.  Most areas around here have animal control and they are usually not very nice to deal with, but they have arrest powers and will use it.  You need to insist he goes to the doctor if the bite broke the skin.  This is to C.Y.A.!!!  Best of luck and cooperate with these people, it will be the easiest way keep everyone happy and hopefully out of court.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top