Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By North_42:

...We ended up with 5 1/2 acres, we wanted land so we can have chickens, and maybe some goats...
View Quote

Check on the coyote/feral dog situation where you'll be. You might want to get a couple of donkeys to protect them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

Five acres is not much to hunt on, I live on 5 acres, about 2/3 wooded.

Oh, and I used to live in Whitehouse.

View Quote

It’s not much but when the several hundred we back up to is wooded farmland and there’s a creek on our property, it’s enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me guess…..you’ll be talking about all those “icky rednecks” to your new Jersey transplant neighbors?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you like tornadoes?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By pwcb2005:
We had a northern ca "conservative" move to our town and he caused a rift that still hasn't healed. He went back to ca after crapping on us for 4 years.

He had ca money and was buying property left and right.  Then he got caught trying to threaten people over their vacant lots in town.

Glad he and his ilk family are gone. He brought his wife, 2 sons, parents, grandparents, and his brother and his family all here.

Thank the Lord he took them all back with him
Locusts
View Quote

He sounds awful. Funny, even in my area of CA we deal with people like this from the cities and hate them just as much. But I’m really not worried what you think of me on the internet. If you met me you’d never know where I’m from unless you asked. I won’t lie about it. But I’m also not a Californian, in my opinion. I was born and raised in the woods of southwest Washington until middle school. Then my parents moved to Nor Cal. I left after high school and spent my 20’s in Montana. I only moved back to Nor Cal for work. And after 13 years, I’m leaving because of what this state has become, not to go somewhere else and make it the same.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

Check on the coyote/feral dog situation where you'll be. You might want to get a couple of donkeys to protect them.
View Quote

Interesting, I’ve not heard of that being an issue, I’ll look into it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ServusVeritatis:
Let me guess…..you’ll be talking about all those “icky rednecks” to your new Jersey transplant neighbors?
View Quote

Haha, I just saw that thread. And no, I’m purposefully moving to an area further from Nashville because I am one of those icky rednecks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By konger:
Do you like tornadoes?
View Quote

I’d hazard to guess I don’t, though I’ve not experienced one. But we did buy a house with a storm shelter just in case.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
If you ever utter the phrases, "the 24," "the 40," "the 65," or the "75," we will automatically know you are from California. Don't do it unless you want your neighbors to automatically distrust you. We refer to them as I-24, I-40, I-65, and I-75. Alternatively, you may refer to them as 24, 40, 65, and 75. But NEVER "the 24," etc.
View Quote

I never heard folks say "the XX" when refering to a highway/freeway in CA unless they are from southern CA. It sounds odd to me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:31:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#10]
Are you offended by rednecks because apparently everyone outside of Nashville is a redneck or so I read in another thread.

Beat by 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#11]

Interesting, I’ve not heard of that being an issue, I’ll look into it. Thanks!
View Quote

Donkeys are noisy (which is the way you want 'em), but if treated right, they're cool as hell.

This book is pretty good
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]

It’s not much but when the several hundred we back up to is wooded farmland and there’s a creek on our property, it’s enough for me.
View Quote

It is nice that the neighbors land can hold critters for you to draw in or pull from but always remember his land/trees are not your backstop for bullets.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#13]
OP - once my family obligations are finally discharged and I can relocate somewhere special - did you see any nice nursing homes?

My wife and I have talked about relocating and Tennessee comes up as a possibility but it really does look like family will keep us here.

Two weeks ago I cut over from Tellico Plains and rode up Rt 127 from Pikeville to fairly close to Lexington Ky.  Beautiful country.  Friendly people.

Spent the night in luxury accommodations and enjoyed fine dining in Crossville.

Good luck with your move.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]

North Central
View Quote

Whoa, wait, that is my area, course North in TN is not that far from South TN lol you can drive the whole width of the state in a couple of hours lol
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]

I expect that and it is fine, I am sure we will have to overcome the stereotype often. We have already met several conservative Tennesseans and we all get along just fine so I think we will be good. We aren't "showy" people, we just want to live our life, treat people well, and be left alone.

ETA, other than for work I'd be surprised if the wife and I go to Nashville more than a few times a year and then probably only for concerts and the very occasional night out. We'd rather be exploring in the woods and on the lake.
View Quote
When you meet neighbors maybe ask how early is too early to start shooting.  Gives the right impression.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]

I will do my level best to never mention the "C" word at all!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Are you mentally prepared to say, "that's not how we did it in California"?

I will do my level best to never mention the "C" word at all!

Smart.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#17]

I do not know the words to Rocky Top yet but I am sure I will as soon as I get there and spend a little time.
View Quote

Let me help…

The Osborne Brothers - Rocky Top (4k Remaster)
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MATTINFAIRBORN:
OP - once my family obligations are finally discharged and I can relocate somewhere special - did you see any nice nursing homes?

My wife and I have talked about relocating and Tennessee comes up as a possibility but it really does look like family will keep us here.

Two weeks ago I cut over from Tellico Plains and rode up Rt 127 from Pikeville to fairly close to Lexington Ky.  Beautiful country.  Friendly people.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/IMG_2505_JPG-3213767.JPG  
View Quote

You should have called!  I could have gotten you to the Flying Pig for dinner and a cabin at Cumberland Mountain State Park.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#19]
You people are the reason people who grew up in Tennessee  cannot buy houses here anymore.  

Get off my lawn.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TarzanT:

You should have called!  I could have gotten you to the Flying Pig for dinner and a cabin at Cumberland Mountain State Park.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TarzanT:

That would have been fun.  I could have told you how much better we do things in Ohio.

Just looked at the menu.  I'll take brisket, baked beans, coleslaw, and a pint of banana pudding.  Tea - sweet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]
That would have been fun.  I could have told you how much better we do things in Ohio.

Just looked at the menu.  I'll take brisket, baked beans, coleslaw, and a pint of banana pudding.  Tea - sweet.
View Quote

I know how you do things in Ohio… my ex was from there.  Nuttier than squirrel turds!

They do smoked wings on Tuesday.  You have to order them before noon or they’ll be sold out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#22]
You’ll never fit in in TN. Chili w/o beans is a hotdog topping.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Thank you, sir. I don't intend to discuss anything not asked of me with anyone. And we bought property in the country so we can have a garden and animals, etc, so the last thing I will do is complain about anything a neighbor does. That being said, I'd disagree that there are absolutely no exceptions. But we bought property in a nicer area and the neighbors aren't real close so I am not too worried about it.
View Quote

You may disagree all you want its just advice. There are absolutely no exceptions. Good luck to you sir.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
You'll never fit in in TN. Chili w/o beans is a hotdog topping.
View Quote
Or in Mt. Airy it is a pork chop sandwich topping seeing that you are from NC.  Doesn't seem the same since the old guy isn't there running the griddle in the front window.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Califonia has plenty of good people. It’s the coastal areas that have destroyed that state.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By denverdan:
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
Originally Posted By H1-HUMMER:

A Cali will fit right in Nashville

BTW what part of California?

Not moving to Nashville for just that reason (among others)

Moving from far northern CA. The real Northern CA, not the Bay Area.

I always heard the Northern California folks were actually decent and not full blown commies.

Califonia has plenty of good people. It’s the coastal areas that have destroyed that state.

I don’t know why but proximity to a coast line turns people commie. I noticed it in the US, Canada and Australia.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
Are you getting a place with some land or be in town?

we ended up with 5 1/2 acres, we wanted land so we can have chickens, and maybe some goats. And I wanted to be able to hunt my land, which I can do! Muzzle loader, archery, or shotgun, but I can still hunt it.

Used to live in White House too, little more than 39 years.

Was a really nice area up until about 5 years ago. All the out of staters started moving in driving up prices in Nashville.
Locals that couldn't afford it moved out of Nashville and into the affordable bedroom communities, bringing the undesirables and crime
with them. Apartments, overcrowding ,clogged roads, the homeless, turned a nice area into a shithole. I never saw the first homeless person
in Whitehouse until about 2 years ago.

Plaugue carriers from Kommiefornia, New Yawk, Shitgago have ruined a really nice area and driven prices through the roof.

But good side is they bought my property for 4 times what it was worth, and I was able to get out while the getting was good.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bigtwin:

I never heard folks say "the XX" when refering to a highway/freeway in CA unless they are from southern CA. It sounds odd to me.
View Quote

I’ll admit, I took it up because a lot of Bay Area people refer to all the different interstates that way… The 505, the 580, the 680, the 880…
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I moved out here in Middle Tennessee last year from Colorado.

I LOVE it, but I really miss the high country.  The small hills around here are nothing like the Rockies.

Private property here means PRIVATE.  You can basically do anything you want on your own land, no matter how small it is and your neigbors expect the same.  Like I said, I love it.  You'll have people shooting into the dirt, even if they are only on 1/4 acre.  They'll burn their trash and burn their leaves any time of the year too.

I built myself a burn barrel the first week I got settled. .  

Some of the nicest people on the planet around here.  They'll literally give you the shirt off their back.   But, don't cross them.  No one takes it around here.   My kind of people.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:27:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleARon] [#29]

No

I can live without In-N-Out but am pretty excited about Buc-ees

I've not been to Franklin but I am not a city person so we made sure to move far enough from Nashville that we can enjoy it from afar.
View Quote
No In-N-Out. Sonic and Whataburger.Moo pie for dessert. Please don't say Clarksville area.

ETA:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

It is nice that the neighbors land can hold critters for you to draw in or pull from but always remember his land/trees are not your backstop for bullets.
View Quote

Lol. Ok buddy. I’m pretty sure that landowner has no problem with any of it. And it’s muzzle loader, archery, or shotgun only and I’ll be shooting down into a draw from a tree stand.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Thanks! I didn’t notice any nursing homes but I’ll admit, I haven’t spent much time there to notice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry Tennessee is full. The Possum at the front gate should have told ya.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Southernfried:

Whoa, wait, that is my area, course North in TN is not that far from South TN lol you can drive the whole width of the state in a couple of hours lol
View Quote

Haha, true. It’s north of I-40 so technically correct.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StraightShootinGal] [#34]
OP, you got "kin" in TN?

According to my buddy, if you ain't got no kin, you're fucked....kin is like your privilege card in these parts of the country.

I told him that I'm hoping all the transplants wash out all the kin bullshit and take over the state...
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
You’ll never fit in in TN. Chili w/o beans is a hotdog topping.
View Quote

You misunderstood my post. I prefer what most people call chili, with beans, but I do believe “true chili” doesn’t have beans. It’s meat, chiles, and spices.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By LawVol:
You people are the reason people who grew up in Tennessee  cannot buy houses here anymore.  

Get off my lawn.
View Quote

Have you looked at home prices anywhere in America since Covid? That’s all of America right now, for the most part. Even where I’m moving from in far northern, extremely rural CA. You can’t find a decent starter home for under $350k. And that’s for a basic, older home that needs upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:

I LOVE it, but I really miss the high country.  The small hills around here are nothing like the Rockies.

Private property here means PRIVATE.  You can basically do anything you want on your own land, no matter how small it is and your neigbors expect the same.  Like I said, I love it.  You'll have people shooting into the dirt, even if they are only on 1/4 acre.  They'll burn their trash and burn their leaves any time of the year too.

Some of the nicest people on the planet around here.  They'll literally give you the shirt off their back.   But, don't cross them.  No one takes it around here.   My kind of people.
View Quote

That’s awesome and  what I’m looking forward to the most!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Just saw you were north of 40, so it's a bit of a drive,  but if you want to come hang out at my range sometime, let me know. It's about 15 minutes from me.

Http://www.deadzeroshooting.com

And FWIW, if you like fishing, I live on a small private lake.  Always up for a BBQ in the summer, even with guests
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By UTCenturion:

You may disagree all you want its just advice. There are absolutely no exceptions. Good luck to you sir.
View Quote

I don’t mean disrespect and appreciate the advice. I just don’t believe in absolutes. But I also understand where you’re coming from and will be a good neighbor. But I also have no problem with someone asking me to be a little more respectful if I’m pushing the limits.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DoubleARon:
No In-N-Out. Sonic and Whataburger.Moo pie for dessert. Please don't say Clarksville area.

ETA:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73538/IMG_5081_jpeg-3213854.JPG
View Quote

Haha! Funny!

And no, not Clarksville.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DavidC:
Just saw you were north of 40, so it's a bit of a drive,  but if you want to come hang out at my range sometime, let me know. It's about 15 minutes from me.

And FWIW, if you like fishing, I live on a small private lake.  Always up for a BBQ in the summer, even with guests
View Quote

Thanks! I’ll shout you message. That’s an awesome offer and I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By StraightShootinGal:
OP, you got "kin" in TN?

According to my buddy, if you ain't got no kin, you're fucked....kin is like your privilege card in these parts of the country.

I told him that I'm hoping all the transplants wash out all the kin bullshit and take over the state...
View Quote

No Kin but we do have some friends back there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

That's about 30 minutes from me (I'm in Sparta).

I was going to get down there one day and do some shooting with my brother-in-law.  Looks like a great range from their website.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#44]

That's about 30 minutes from me (I'm in Sparta).

I was going to get down there one day and do some shooting with my brother-in-law.  Looks like a great range from their website.
View Quote

Sparta is about 45 minutes from me. My truck is currently trapped at Valley Ford , the nearest dealer for me.

It's a good range,  they do a lot of events in the summer, so check ahead before you make significant plans.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:02:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Southernman077] [#45]

View All Quotes

You can also come by my house. I live south of I-40. I do have some model trains and a shit ton of imitation crab meat. Bring your own paper plates though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#46]

You can also come by my house. I live south of I-40. I do have some model trains and a shit ton of imitation crab meat. Bring your own paper plates though.
View Quote
I live north of I40 and have the same things. We should hang out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Private property here means PRIVATE.  You can basically do anything you want on your own land, no matter how small it is and your neighbors expect the same.  Like I said, I love it.  You'll have people shooting into the dirt, even if they are only on 1/4 acre.  They'll burn their trash and burn their leaves any time of the year too.

The highlighted bold is an absolute. Another item, don't know if you have any dogs, but please don't come here and think just because you are in the "country" your dogs can roam free. IF there are any cattle farmers near by, and they see your dog chasing their cows, there is no knock on the door, they will just put them down. I've even had to put my own down before, a farmer can not take the chance of your dog running his cows till they fall over dead, its their lively hood. IF your far enough out in the country, the other obstacle is your dogs getting killed by coyotes or other "wild" dogs. Just be mindful of your dogs, IF you have any. IF not, enjoy living here with all of our freedoms, and no state income tax. Also, welcome to our state!  
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Overly. We are already trying to cede Memphis to Arkansas.
View Quote

Pass...Give it to Mississippi.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I messed up and talked to a neighbors sister and told her “I could listen to your southern accent all day” she won’t stop talking now.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top