BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sedonut:
Friend needed some wiring in his house. He was quoted $3000.

I did the wiring for $200 in parts he paid for and I gave him the labor, about 3 hours.   He cooked me dinner.

Pay it forward.
View Quote

So instead of going the DIY route your friend hired someone to do it while he did something else?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By c7aea15:
How is saving money by doing something yourself instead of paying someone else to do it a "cheat code" or "life hack"?

Sounds pretty much like common fucking sense to me.

The people who need to be told this are doomed anyways.
View Quote

Jack and cheer are Zoomer speak for learning things.   Since they played a bunch of video games and ‘hacked’ phones to run alternative software/programming anything considered ‘making something easier’ is a hack or a cheat.  Mostly because the alternative is paying someone. So you do it yourself to ‘cheat code’ the option of paying someone to do it for you.

It’s stupid. I agree.  Another term I’m happy die is ‘mod’.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
Price at dealer is $3800. I ordered OEM rotors and PFC-08 pads online. Watched a couple YouTube videos, and about 3-4 hours later, another $2200 saved.
View Quote

$1600 for pads and rotors for a car with 4 wheels.  Glad I have a honda!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
Take the savings, buy guns and ammo.

View Quote

My favorite part is the money people ‘saved’ doesn’t actually go toward anything.   Some how they ‘saved’ money but they’re ’still saving up’ for something or conveniently ‘don’t need’ guns and ammo after saving $5,000 on repairs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Tell me you don’t think the project starts until you’re actively working on it without telling me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:

It doesnt take 5 hours to unscrew a head and screw a new one in. A fool and his money I guess... 🤷‍♂️

Tell me you don’t think the project starts until you’re actively working on it without telling me.

You sound like my neighbor. Its ok just "call a guy" and have your husband write him a check.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I DIY whenever I can

There are times when paying someone saves me lots of time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The neighbor's lawn looks green and weed-free (so is mine).  I checked with the lawn service and they wanted $1200 to treat my grass for a season.  I'm going to continue to charge around the yard pushing my spreader and buying $100 or so of lawn chemicals a season.  Grass cutting would cost me maybe $1500 a year.   Small yard and I have an electric Toro 21-inch self-propelled mower so maintenance is sharpening the blade.  Got a quote of $400 to trim 12 smallish boxwoods - my back was bothering me and the lawn guys were trimming bushes next door.  Didn't ask about how much they'd charge to trim the 18 largish viburnums in the backyard, 3 weeping cherries, and a largish Japanese maple plus other miscellaneous bushes.  Could cost me $3000+ a year for all the yard work plus IDK how much to have 10 yards of mulch put down every couple of years.

Between the yard and other DIY stuff I do around here we save more than enough annually for a very nice two-week vacation to our favorite place.  

And I LIKE to do yard work.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Many years ago before the net I ran over a piece of metal with my 1982 S10 pickup one night and put a hole in the gas tank. Buddy with me knew where to get epoxy close by to cover the hole and so managed not to totally run out of gas. Great guy I hope he did well, lost touch.
I ordered a new bigger tank and never having done a gas tank change before I did it in I think 2 hours or so. After doing it I thought it would be better to be rich so some other poor schmuck could get dirty.
But I still change my oil, headlights and some other shit. Hard to quit being cheap after all these years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#9]
By the time I get whatever tools I don't have and fuck up some material figuring out how to do it, my projects end up being slightly more expensive than getting someone else to do it. I am a slow learner, so I still DIY anyway.

For example: I kinda want some racks for my Jeep. I could probably buy something that will bolt on, but I will likely end up with a TIG welder, plasma cutter, and tubing bender and notcher. There will be a pile of aluminum tubing and sheet behind the garage from figuring out what the hell I'm doing. As an added bonus, the final product will probably have some amount of error built in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tamu94:
Best advice you can give a young man, learn how to use tools and do home/auto maintenance and repairs.
View Quote
Grew up well-fed but poor-ish on a small farm.  DIY or it wouldn't get done, but it had to be done, and there was a ton of stuff to keep maintained and repaired.  Didn't really feel like work.  Back in the 1950s and 1960s, the only tech distractions were a 4 household party line and the one TV station that we could receive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Amped:
True story. I have "nice" stuff because I build "nice" stuff.

Just about wrapped up my coop build. $2000 in materials and a lot of work on the days off and after work. If I paid to have this built it would be in the $6,000-$8,000 range

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179056/IMG_2564_jpeg-3212904.JPG
View Quote
The screws on your hinges don't have the slots all turned the same way.  I prefer vertical.

JK - looks really nice.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By adamtheduke:
I legitimately wouldn’t be able to afford a “middle class” lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
View Quote

This!

I'm on my 3rd house and countless cars, boats and other toys.  I do about 90% of everything myself.  I can't even imagine how much poorer I'd be right now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I legitimately wouldn’t be able to afford a “middle class” lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
View Quote

Same. If I had to pay someone to do everything I would live in the hood and ride the bus.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Krombompulos_Michael:
I have saved many thousands DIYing things.  Appliance repair (washer, dryer, microwave, dishwasher), home repair and renovation (electrical, hvac, plumbing, construction), car repair (brakes, clutches, cv joints, suspension, engine rebuild).  

I have always been mechanically inclined and am a perfectionist.  I started out doing it out of financial necessity, but continue it because I get better results and enjoy it.  

I don't rebuild transmissions, do auto body work, or pump my septic tank.  Some things I leave to the pros for the sake of time and convenience.
View Quote
I'm horrified at how poor a job 'professional' house painters do.  Especially inside.  I understand that they can't win bids for near-perfection-level work because that takes a lot of time.  It takes me a long time to paint a room with several days of wall prep the first time I paint that particular room but the result is gratifying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I was getting my 35K mile maintenance on my Tundra last week and the advisor attempted to foist off a $130 cabin air filter replacement on me. I laughed and declined. 36 hours later I received a pair of the filters via Amazon for $12, and installation took less than 15 seconds.  Even my not mechanically inclined wife can replace her own. It's not a "life hack", but plain common sense. The 2 minutes I spent between ordering and installing saved me over a $100.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Crusader44:
I was getting my 35K mile maintenance on my Tundra last week and the advisor attempted to foist off a $130 cabin air filter replacement on me. I laughed and declined. 36 hours later I received a pair of the filters via Amazon for $12, and installation took less than 15 seconds.  Even my not mechanically inclined wife can replace her own. It's not a "life hack", but plain common sense. The 2 minutes I spent between ordering and installing saved me over a $100.
View Quote
Yeah.  Cabin air filters, engine air filter, wiper blades.  Filling the windshield washer reservoir.  Everyone on the planet can figure out how to do those with a little effort.  Except my wife.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I do as much as I can.  

I helped a buddy put a wiper kit in his can am x3 yesterday.  Dealer charges about $500 in labor to do it.  

Took us 2hrs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I legitimately wouldn't be able to afford a "middle class" lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
View Quote
Same here. I make a good six figure salary and still have to do home repairs and upgrades myself. Florida is so damn expensive to live unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BillyJack:
This thread's message is legit.
View Quote

Word!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:28:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#20]
I agree,

Iv build additions, poured concrete, built patios, porches, sidewalks, dug out hills, built retaining walls, wired up breakers, 220 outlets, lights, welders, air compressors, installed water heaters, mini splits,  built gazebos, installed drain tile, water lines, plumbing, bathtubs, sinks, mounted tires by hand , car repairs, welding, and more.

Right now repairing the dishwasher, and two lawn mowers. ( waiting on parts for all 3 ) and planning out a whole house generator installation, but need a little help with this one as it’s involving the power meter and feed line which is too intimidating.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I turn 70 next year. There are things I used to do but it is unwise for me to try.

Installing ceiling fans, especially on 12’ ceilings.
Doing anything on the roof. It’s too steep and my balance isn’t what it used to be.
Getting under vehicles. It scares Mrs Rabinowitz too much.

But I still have and use many skills. I have three rolling carts of tools so I never have to go to the hardware store to get “that tool.”

But Mrs Rabinowitz told me to put my reloading set up in the dining room so I don’t sweat on my work.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:35:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#22]
I do the stuff I enjoy. The stuff I don't, more than happy to pay to avoid. I'm very happy to trade money for time - I'm getting more of the former, absolutely less of the latter.

What stuns me is the number of people who have not the slightest inkling about how to proceed on a project, lack mechanical or organizational insight and plain old can't/won't seek out the answers.

As an example, not screwing around with any PDK service, but I have an idea about what goes on and what fluids, volumes and specs are, and why the normal intervals are probably insufficient given the use. So tho I'm not under the lift, I can at least converse with the shop, assess needs and requirements, and communicate my preferences.

Friend was unaware his Macan was AWD - he didn't think he optioned that. Stunned when I pointed out they all were.

Most peeps are prolly better off letting the DIY slide.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:
My neighbor always talks about "having a guy come out and look at it" for the easiest most mundane diy things. Got charged $100 a head to swap a few broken sprinklers.
View Quote
That's just insane, but not surprising. I did redid my entire sprinkler system myself 8 years ago and added three additional zones. I can't imagine how much I saved back then.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Having good maintenance, repair and fabrication skills is worth thousands,  maybe tens of thousands in annual income.
View Quote

Very succinctly and well put.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm doing a full suspension refresh on my 996.  The quotes from local indies was absolutely ridiculous.

I'm literally saving 10K doing it myself.  Granted, it's taking me a minute since I've never done it before.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mnd:
I'm helping my daughter do timing chains in her 4.0 SOHC.  I can't imagine what a shop would charge for that job.

Having a working truck after the effort is a happy side effect.  The purpose of the exercise is to gain an appreciation for the value of work.
View Quote

Probably $2800
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Been on this 10-acre place for 25 years and the only "professionals" we've had out were the power company & tree guys when a storm knocked a tree into the powerlines.

I know my limits.  

There's a self-perpetuating aspect to DIY too.  Once you have the tools and knowledge, you're geared up not only to repair but to maintain... which will make actual repairs that much less frequent.

And one more, if not already mentioned.  When you're the repairman, you set the hours.  So when, say, you need to crimp and solder shut a copper pipe that ruptured on Christmas during an ice storm, you're not at the plumber's mercy - who ain't coming out on Christmas during an ice storm.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I do all i can physically and competently do by myself (and have time to).

The older i get the more i have done by others.

Sprinklers, brake jobs, home electrical?  No problem.

AC work on my wife’s daily driver? Not me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:54:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#29]

My favorite part is the money people ‘saved’ doesn’t actually go toward anything.   Some how they ‘saved’ money but they’re ’still saving up’ for something or conveniently ‘don’t need’ guns and ammo after saving $5,000 on repairs.
View Quote

Maybe they’re just in less debt because they didn’t have to put the repair on their credit card? Why are you so hung up on the semantics? Tell me what the term “cost savings” means to you. I’m genuinely curious. Are they required to have a plan for the money before they don’t spend it? How should I have approached and described what I did by not paying someone else?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:06:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#30]
I recently priced out some loading ramps and ended up buying the kit off Amazon instead.  A couple 2x8s plus the kit was a fraction of what the complete ramps would have been.  I just need it for for light duty anyway - taking generators and garden stuff back and forth without smoking my back.

eta: and yes that's one of the Champion tillers from last year's Home Depot blowout.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tvolt] [#32]
I DIY most everything because I can even though I can afford not to.

This morning, since it was warm yesterday, I figured I should turn on the air conditioning in the house for the first time this year to test it before it really gets hot. I walked outside and the condenser fan was humming and not moving. I found out the fan motor was seized when I pushed on the blades. Btdt... no problem, a dozen screws a few wires and 30 minutes I'll be good to go. Ordered a new motor and capacitor (since it's been 6 years) for $125, which I am sure is less than it would cost to roll a truck and get the local tech standing in front of it, not to mention parts and labor from that point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Tvolt:
I DIY most everything because I can even though I can afford not to.

This morning, since it was warm yesterday, I figured I should turn on the air conditioning in the house for the first time this year to test it before it really gets hot. I walked outside and the condenser fan was humming and not moving. I found out the fan motor was seized when I pushed on the blades. Btdt... no problem, a dozen screws a few wires and 30 minutes I'll be good to go. Ordered a new motor and capacitor (since it's been 6 years) for $125, which I am sure is less than it would cost to roll a truck and get the local tech standing in front of it, not to mention parts and labor from that point.
View Quote

Nice job.  

And you may already be doing it, but my H&C brother taught me that spraying out the condenser radiator fins from inside the unit outward each spring can prolong the life of the unit quite a bit.  Lots of crap always come out when I do that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Learned early as we bought our house with an “unfinished upstairs” which meant we didn’t have a bedroom at all.   I now have finished a sunroom on the house, a two car detached garage (all but the foundation, roof sheathing and shingles as it’s a 12 pitch) including a sub panel and recently a separate room above the garage with outdoor stairs that’s my new “study”.  Still have some trim to do, though.  A mini split was an easy install with a few specialty tools as well.  

Attachment Attached File

I will pay for involved plumbing but replacing an outdoor spigot or toilet or a vanity and sink is easy enough.

Cars I will usually try anything that doesn’t require a lift.  Complete IRS rebuild on my mustang in the driveway on jack stands plus maintenance stuff.    Also installed a procharger on the same car solo.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Nice job.  

And you may already be doing it, but my H&C brother taught me that spraying out the condenser radiator fins from inside the unit outward each spring can prolong the life of the unit quite a bit.  Lots of crap always come out when I do that.
View Quote

Absolutely, I usually try to do that at least once or twice a year. I even have a set of fin combs to straighten up the dings/dents that happen over the year to maintain good airflow.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I was a builder for over 30 years...have saved hundreds of thousands building my own home...to this day I still do all of my own work.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Haven't hired any work done on my house since I bought it 13 years ago.

I do most my vehicle work as well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I legitimately wouldn't be able to afford a "middle class" lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
View Quote
To be honest, this used to be the norm for the middle class.

I remember watching a video online where some guy was renovating a home and telling poor people how they can afford nice things,.... they just have to make the ugly things look nice with their own elbow grease.
"We're poor, we can't afford to be useless."
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure it was worth removing all this concrete myself. $27k tractor, $600 concrete saw.
But, damn it, I did it myself!
I hurt today.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#40]
In this day and age, there really is no reason not to be able to turn wrenches yourself unless you have some type of physical ailment. There are so many videos out there for all kinds of things.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep, I try to do what I can when I can. I also like learning new stuff, even if it takes me longer.

We remodeled our kitchen in 21. I did all the demo, ran 2 new circuits for appliances moving places, appliance install, plumbing, and drywall. I didnt do the cabinets, counters or backsplash.

Just installed an autostart in the old ladys 4 Runner. Local shop she contacted wanted some BS like $600 or so. Got Accessorides and installed in 1 hours. Saved $400

Not a lot compared to OP, but it all add up, didnt take long and I enjoyed doing and learning new stuff
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By patw:
In this day and age, there really is no reason not to be able to turn wrenches yourself unless you have some type of physical ailment. There are so many videos out there for all kinds of things.
View Quote

YouTube has absolutely ushered in a golden age of DIY.  I've done various levels of repairs to the kitchen oven, the dishwasher, furnace, hot water heater, washer and dryer and more that I might not have done without YouTube.  Certainly lots of "holy shit, get to the point man" from me but definitely a net gain.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I do almost everything myself out of necessity. I'm not the guy that gets to have "a guy" to do most things but I'm a guy that other people have.

In some ways it's kind of nice to be more self reliant but most of the time I want whatever it is done but I don't actually want to do it, I just can't afford to have someone else do it. It just like seems everyone else's time is worth more than mine so I end up having to do it. Depending on the circumstances, sometimes it's even cheaper for me to miss days at work to get things done than it is to hire out a job.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By tamu94:
Best advice you can give a young man, learn how to use tools and do home/auto maintenance and repairs.
View Quote
True and teach him how to manage his money. My husband is a gifted mechanic. I am so thankful for all he does to keep us comfortable but he was a hot mess financially when we were dating. It actually scared me because he blew through money so thoughtlessly. I didn't say anything because I didn't feel like it was my business. He thought it was funny that I packed my lunch and grocery shopped once a month. It has taken a long time to teach him but he's finally learning.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
I do almost everything myself out of necessity. I'm not the guy that gets to have "a guy" to do most things but I'm a guy that other people have.

In some ways it's kind of nice to be more self reliant but most of the time I want whatever it is done but I don't actually want to do it, I just can't afford to have someone else do it. It just like seems everyone else's time is worth more than mine so I end up having to do it. Depending on the circumstances, sometimes it's even cheaper for me to miss days at work to get things done than it is to hire out a job.
View Quote

Also easy to fall into a rut where stuff gets backjammed because you've got aaaalllll this stuff to do, but just can't see paying somebody else to do it when you can do it yourself.  If you get too much piled up, nothing ends up getting done because you're just pecking away at projects in what little free time you have.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I do most stuff myself, but as others have said, sometimes there is a cost/reward benefit.

I just took my wife Dodge Durango to have the motor mounts replaced. Could I do it with the help of friends? Yes.

But that is a big job and worth the $1k it cost.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
I do most stuff myself, but as others have said, sometimes there is a cost/reward benefit.

I just took my wife Dodge Durango to have the motor mounts replaced. Could I do it with the help of friends? Yes.

But that is a big job and worth the $1k it cost.
View Quote

There’s definitely something to be said for picking and choosing the battles.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:14:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#48]
The savings in DIY is mostly you don't have to get taxed 3 ways, once earning it, another spending it, a third time being taxed on whatever the value is of the thing that's left.  Plus cover business insurance and licensing overhead.

In a theoretical world where the labor can be bartered directly with people you know, DIY isn't a savings, and in fact it would just make you lose more time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes.  Change my own oil.  I probably don't save that much on the oil change, but I don't get suckered in to the $87 engine air filter and $187 cabin air filter changes they sell to other customers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DetroitSounds] [#50]
I choose what to DIY based on time vs $. I value my DIY time around $200/ hr.

If I have to investigate for hours to learn something I don't care about learning (Like HVAC), plus hassle with finding parts, then a possible failed attempt or 2, just to save $1000, not worth it.

Working on cars? Fuck that. I buy new shit every 2 years.

Simple stuff like I did this weekend? (Fell a 30' tree, chop it, stack it up), instead of paying $800. Yup. Took me about 2 hours, plus I kind of enjoy chopping wood.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top