BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hbilly:

Yeah, & saw the movie. Never thought about it. He is the most highly decorated soldier of ww2. Went from africa to europe. Don't think all those awards were fake, nor the actions it took to earn them.
Good actor, bad actor, don't care. He's a hero & came back home and actually did some good.
View Quote

Yep. At  minimum, he served.  He did not say "Well I wanted to join, but.........."
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
You think Marcus Luttrell is the only person to have ever had a book made up by a ghost writer with elements of fiction?
View Quote

JFK's book that won a Pewetzer prize was ghost written.  IIRC Profiles in Courage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. But you are wrong.
View Quote
This +1000.

Audie Murphy really accomplished those feats of heroism.

Op has watched too many of today's action movies and the bs contained in them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:06:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#4]
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
Brave guy, but he got eaten alive after the war with bad luck, poor money management, and lack of judgement of the quality of people around him. They sucked him dry.
View Quote
This.

Watched the same thing happen to Dakota Meyer recently.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Audie Murphy; the only American so bad ass that the only person that could play Audie Murphy in the movie based on the autobiography of Audie Murphy was, Audie Murphy.
View Quote
This +10,000
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JMD:
If you want to read about Audie Murphy then there are plenty of modern biographies out their on him by people who have done extensive research and interviews when possible

All of these biographies confirm that he indeed was a great soldier and earned every medal he received

If anything they show him in a human light with many issues he had before, during and after the war.  

He was very brave, could be mean at times and had a temper/anger issues throughout his life. He could also be kind and considerate too

If anything else the other books I have read about him show him even more brave than his movie and book.  

View Quote
This post nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

You forgot drug addiction and beat that too.
View Quote

I left out the alcoholism because so much goes together with PTSD. I didn't know about the drugs but not surprised. My mom is 92. I asked her about Audie. She said everyone knew about the hell he suffered. People went to see his movies to show their gratitude as much as to be entertained. Most people knew a Vet who suffered some degree of PTSD, even my great uncle. who fought in the Pacific and another who fought in Europe. We never missed one of his movies at the drive-in, now I know why.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:15:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#8]
Real life legend and hero. Murphy becoming an actor, and a good one, just adds to legend status. An old friend of mine who passed away 24 years ago, Denny “Dinty” Arnold a stunt man legend* got into the movie business through Murphy. Murphy hired him in the early-mid 1960s to teach his kids how to ride horses professionally as Denny was a champion Rodeo star. Denny told me that Murphy suffered from really bad PTSD and used to sleep in his kitchen on an army cot with a loaded 1911 on his chest. He said that they used to play pool a lot in his rec room.  Denny always said that the way Murphy died wasn’t fair for a guy like that. True, and he died way too young.

* Set the record for the longest body drag behind a horse for a Boroteem commercial and set the world record for longest jump with a boat over an obstacle in the movie Gator with Burt Reynolds.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sh768:
There is no written depiction that is true, they are all embellishments or outright falsehoods, always have been since the dawn of human history.

Life becomes easier when you realize that everything you are told is some flavor of bullshit.
View Quote

I disagree that they are all embellishments or outright falsehoods. Sure some are but not all.   I will say they are all told from someones point of view which can differ from person to person like opinions

For instance an incident during the Vietnam war where a fire base came under enemy artillery fire.   The battalion commander ran out of his bunker under fire and began personally firing the bases artillery pieces back at the enemy artillery.

2 different soldiers have written accounts witnessing this event.  One of the soldiers thought he was an idiot since his fire was ineffective and felt he was needlessly endangering his artillery men by doing this.   Another soldiers account was the exact opposite in his interpretation of the event.  He thought the commander was incredibly brave and was inspiring his men to fight back against the enemy attack.  Both soldiers were privates by the way.

They both agreed factually on the actual event but had different opinions on the act itself.

Now imagine only one of the accounts survived then you would be left with only one interpretation which could skew your view of the event one way or another.  

In this instance neither soldier lied about the event itself but put their bias in their point of view of the event.   This is what really happens in most historically accounts.   We are left with someone’s interpretation of an event and how they see it which may or may not be what another person might have thought of the event.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

I left out the alcoholism because so much goes together with PTSD. I didn't know about the drugs but not surprised. My mom is 92. I asked her about Audie. She said everyone knew about the hell he suffered. People went to see his movies to show their gratitude as much as to be entertained. Most people knew a Vet who suffered some degree of PTSD, even my great uncle. who fought in the Pacific and another who fought in Europe. We never missed one of his movies at the drive-in, now I know why.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chisum:

You forgot drug addiction and beat that too.

Only reason I give the drug abuse the honorable mention was the fact he had it. Recognized it. Locked himself in a motel room for a week to detox and beat it.

More of just another tick to the testament of his character.

All of those vets knew they would have attempted to do the same thing he did and many tried but they weren’t as lucky.

Only difference was Audie had the luck and the attention. It ate him alive for much of his life I think.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
He was there, I was not......I'll not presume to judge the man
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]
FPMFNI!!!!!!

OP, it is not an award winning book for the artistic beauty of the writing, it is the true story of an American Hero!  Like the movie it is more of a tribute to his friends that died and lived through the war, then about him.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]

I disagree that they are all embellishments or outright falsehoods. Sure some are but not all.   I will say they are all told from someones point of view which can differ from person to person like opinions

For instance an incident during the Vietnam war where a fire base came under enemy artillery fire.   The battalion commander ran out of his bunker under fire and began personally firing the bases artillery pieces back at the enemy artillery.

2 different soldiers have written accounts witnessing this event.  One of the soldiers thought he was an idiot since his fire was ineffective and felt he was needlessly endangering his artillery men by doing this.   Another soldiers account was the exact opposite in his interpretation of the event.  He thought the commander was incredibly brave and was inspiring his men to fight back against the enemy attack.  Both soldiers were privates by the way.

They both agreed factually on the actual event but had different opinions on the act itself.

Now imagine only one of the accounts survived then you would be left with only one interpretation which could skew your view of the event one way or another.  

In this instance neither soldier lied about the event itself but put their bias in their point of view of the event.   This is what really happens in most historically accounts.   We are left with someone’s interpretation of an event and how they see it which may or may not be what another person might have thought of the event.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sh768:
There is no written depiction that is true, they are all embellishments or outright falsehoods, always have been since the dawn of human history.

Life becomes easier when you realize that everything you are told is some flavor of bullshit.

That's a great example of potential biases in historical accounts!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Rather than confuse him with some of the books written today based on the GWOT, understand his journey a bit.

He lived on a farm of poorly educated sharecroppers.
He dropped out of school in 5th grade.
Enlisted in the Army at 17.
America's most decorated soldier, probably killed over 200 people, all his friends dead, by 20.

The above aren't really in question.

Clearly he wasn't writing any books by himself.  His acting career was based on fame, not acting talent.
Technically, he wasn't Hemingway and the book wasn't really that great.
He had severe documented PTSD and probably didn't want the fame; he was unprepared for it. But he got swept along.
Most accounts indicate that he did a lot in the war that wasn't really written about as it was unbelievable.
There was no particular reason private or SGT Murphy was going to get awarded medals for things he didn't do.

Bottom line: A 17 year old kid with a 5th grade education killed over 200 people in a two year period.  Finish the book. Go read some comic books
written by English majors afterword if it makes you feel better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I have to laugh when todays nobodies, who have never been anywhere, nor done anything even remotely similar jump up to tell the world that something they've never seen or done could ever be possible. Audies biography was of course written by a ghost writer since Audie had never completed school, having instead quit school to work on local farms to help support his family as a teen. Perhaps OP missed that in the early parts of the book?

The writing of such books in those days was not performed to 2024 standards, there were no pdf files, word templates, anime, and so on. Audie was real, and his exploits were very real, and very well documented. FWIW, men in those days were generally very poor at faking things. Audie was a bit stiff as an actor, but most actors in that era who came from war notoriety were simply thrust into acting by studios looking to make a few bucks off the actors fame. I seriously doubt Audie even enjoyed acting, but he needed to do something for a living and this was offered.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By OHBuckeyes:
I'm about 3/4 of the way through to Hell and Back and frankly struggling with motivation to even finish. Instead of a first person encounter, it feels more like a cheesy Hollywood script, and frankly kind of unbelievable. It contains very few details and a lot of general descriptions. The guys he describes don't sound like real people. The dialogue/conversations aren't interesting and feel fake, a ton of coincidences that seem unlikely, and in every situation so far he is the only one who survives. He is in the direct line of site of multiple machine guns and rifles and they all miss and then he just takes them out with headshots from his carbine. Basically I ran killed these guys, then I ran and killed these guys, and then I ran and killed these guys, and they all missed me.

I always read that Audie didn't want the spotlight and attention, but the guy wrote this book 4 years after the war and starred as himself in a movie within a decade. We say a lot about of positive things about Seal Team 6, but we don't call the guys getting book deals and podcasts humble and trying to deflect attention.

I also question some of the official war stories more than I used to after the lies of Lone Survivor, Jessica Lynch, and Pat Tillman. The lies were probably even worse back then because they would be harder to disapprove and morale was more important.

I'm not saying he isn't a war hero and he didn't do some extraordinary brave things, I just think his book sucks. And the 10 minutes of the movie I watched seemed pretty lame too...
View Quote

Audie Murphy was a legit hero who was taken over and owned by Hollywood agents. The book was made to promote the movie and the movie was made to promote the book.

Both sucked.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Not related to Audie Murphy exactly, but more about understanding probability.

Imagine someone does something really brave, or stupid, or both that has a 50% chance of getting them killed. Half the people who do that die.

And imagine that someone tries two such acts... 75% of them are dead. Three times and 87.5% are dead. Your odds of survival start getting really, really low.

But here's the kicker, if 1024 people start out taking those chances, one of them (on average) will still be alive after the 10th time.

You take some guy with some natural skills, decent training, and sufficient courage/recklessness/aggression to go charging into battle. Most of the time this guy gets killed, or killed the second time he does something like that, or the third, or the fourth... But there were millions of people in WWII and countless thousands had both the needed disposition and the opportunity to do what Audie Murphy did. The vast majority of them died in the fight, most are not remembered at all. Audie Murphy is remembered because he had the courage and skill to do what he did but also because he had the luck to survive. And as over the top as some of his heroics might seem, the laws of probability say we shouldn't be surprised that someone was able to do all of that and survive.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:
When the reports of "The Ghost Of Kiev" first came out, everybody here immediately called it out as propaganda, and used the fact Ukraine was using propaganda as proof that they could not be trusted and were actually the "bad guy" in the conflict.

But we still desperately cling to every hero story ever told by the US Military. Because surely OUR government would never embellish or totally make up stories of incredible heroism and sacrifice to inspire other people to put themselves in harms way. Right?
View Quote

100% agree.

Our government and military has been shown to be as bad as any with the manipulation propaganda. I don’t believe any of the old war stories anymore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#20]
Originally Posted By Singlestack_Wonder:
This +1000.

View All Quotes
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. But you are wrong.
This +1000.

Have you read the book? Modern Hollywood war movies are more believable than the dialog in that book.

I'm not saying he wasn't a badass, awesome dude in real life but the book is pretty shitty. It's clearly made up of major events that actually happened surrounded by exaggerations and ridiculously corny fictitious dialog.

Like someone else said, he told a writer his general story and the writer wrote the book like a Hollywood screenplay.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I don’t believe the book or movie did his exploits justice. They were done in that sappy post war glamour high that makes much of the stuff done then seem so over the top.

Certainly reality for him was much darker.

This is one of his non-CMH citations:

Audie Murphy earned the Distinguished Service Cross, America's second highest military award of valor, on August 15, 1944, shortly after his unit 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment and elements of the 3rd Infantry Division made an amphibious landing as part of the first assault wave in Southern France near Ramatuelle, France.

It was also during this event that Staff Sergeant Murphy, who was an acting platoon sergeant, lost his best friend Lattie Tipton.

The action began in the morning as Murphy's platoon, which was the advance element of the attack, attempted to capture "Pill Box Hill". Ordering his platoon to stay in their covered positions, Staff Sergeant Murphy moved forward to scout out any Germans obstructing his platoon's path up a hill. Murphy's men and other nearby platoons provided Murphy cover.

With his M-1 Carbine, Staff Sergeant Murphy moved up a hill using a draw which paralled the enemy's positions. Murphy killed two Germans who were moving down the draw towards him. After engaging enemy foxhole positions, he ran out of ammunition and reversed his direction back down the draw looking for another weapon.

Documentation
EYE WITNESS ACCOUNT
MAP DRAWING
AWARD ORDERS
Staff Sergeant Murphy found and took a light machine gun from a crew unwilling to advance forward. He left his carbine behind.

Murphy then moved back up the draw and positioned the machine gun above the German foxholes. He engaged and destroyed these positions.

As Murphy continued up the hill, a machine gun attacked. Murphy then returned fire but exhausted his ammunition. He returned back down the draw to retrieve his carbine. When he did, Lattie Tipton convinced Murphy to allow him to go back up the hill to help.

As the two worked their way back up the draw, they drew more enemy fire and grenades. Tipton was shot in the upper part of his ear but managed to shoot and kill his attackers. Murphy and Tipton then located, charged, and destroyed an emplaced machine gun on the top of the hill.

A second machine gun opened fire on Murphy and Tipton who managed to force it to surrender with rifle fire and thrown grenades.

Despite a panicked attempt by Murphy to stop his friend, Tipton was shot and killed as he exposed himself to a phony German flag of surrender.

In a fit of rage, Murphy destroyed the machine gun crew with more grenades. He then rushed the position. Murphy took its undamaged machine gun and began firing it from his hip. As he did, Murphy charged two remaining enemy machine gun positions that were trying to kill him. Murphy destroyed both of them which cleared the hill of all resistance.

Murphy returned back to the body of his friend and was overwhelmed with grief (Simpson, page 121-122).
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
Brave guy, but he got eaten alive after the war with bad luck, poor money management, and lack of judgement of the quality of people around him. They sucked him dry.
View Quote

The PTSD-induced alcoholism was probably behind most if not all of that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#23]
S**t talking is so easy, isn't it.

But thanks for your service OP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Trump would have told him that he’s too young to buy a gun when he returned home after service.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm about 3/4 of the way through to Hell and Back and frankly struggling with motivation to even finish. Instead of a first person encounter, it feels more like a cheesy Hollywood script, and frankly kind of unbelievable. It contains very few details and a lot of general descriptions. The guys he describes don't sound like real people. The dialogue/conversations aren't interesting and feel fake, a ton of coincidences that seem unlikely, and in every situation so far he is the only one who survives. He is in the direct line of site of multiple machine guns and rifles and they all miss and then he just takes them out with headshots from his carbine. Basically I ran killed these guys, then I ran and killed these guys, and then I ran and killed these guys, and they all missed me.

I always read that Audie didn't want the spotlight and attention, but the guy wrote this book 4 years after the war and starred as himself in a movie within a decade. We say a lot about of positive things about Seal Team 6, but we don't call the guys getting book deals and podcasts humble and trying to deflect attention.

I also question some of the official war stories more than I used to after the lies of Lone Survivor, Jessica Lynch, and Pat Tillman. The lies were probably even worse back then because they would be harder to disapprove and morale was more important.

I'm not saying he isn't a war hero and he didn't do some extraordinary brave things, I just think his book sucks. And the 10 minutes of the movie I watched seemed pretty lame too...
View Quote

So uh, the Germans were shooting just like.... STORM TROOPERS?

Ba dum tish.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
FPMFNI!!!!!!

OP, it is not an award winning book for the artistic beauty of the writing, it is the true story of an American Hero!  Like the movie it is more of a tribute to his friends that died and lived through the war, then about him.
View Quote

Have you read the book?

Do you think books that have people that never even existed are true stories?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:
Rather than confuse him with some of the books written today based on the GWOT, understand his journey a bit.

He lived on a farm of poorly educated sharecroppers.
He dropped out of school in 5th grade.
Enlisted in the Army at 17.
America's most decorated soldier, probably killed over 200 people, all his friends dead, by 20.

The above aren't really in question.

Clearly he wasn't writing any books by himself.  His acting career was based on fame, not acting talent.
Technically, he wasn't Hemingway and the book wasn't really that great.
He had severe documented PTSD and probably didn't want the fame; he was unprepared for it. But he got swept along.
Most accounts indicate that he did a lot in the war that wasn't really written about as it was unbelievable.
There was no particular reason private or SGT Murphy was going to get awarded medals for things he didn't do.

Bottom line: A 17 year old kid with a 5th grade education killed over 200 people in a two year period.  Finish the book. Go read some comic books
written by English majors afterword if it makes you feel better
View Quote

How about I just stick to reading nonfiction accounts of true events with the events presented as close to the authors memory as possible? Plenty of other authors manage to do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By anachronism:
I have to laugh when todays nobodies, who have never been anywhere, nor done anything even remotely similar jump up to tell the world that something they've never seen or done could ever be possible. Audies biography was of course written by a ghost writer since Audie had never completed school, having instead quit school to work on local farms to help support his family as a teen. Perhaps OP missed that in the early parts of the book?

The writing of such books in those days was not performed to 2024 standards, there were no pdf files, word templates, anime, and so on. Audie was real, and his exploits were very real, and very well documented. FWIW, men in those days were generally very poor at faking things. Audie was a bit stiff as an actor, but most actors in that era who came from war notoriety were simply thrust into acting by studios looking to make a few bucks off the actors fame. I seriously doubt Audie even enjoyed acting, but he needed to do something for a living and this was offered.
View Quote

Why don't you quote this section? I bet you can't find it, at least not in the copy I have. It has a single two page foreward by Tom Brokaw which doesn't say anything remotely like that and immediately jumps into "On a hill just inland from the invasion...".
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

In the steam riverboat days there was a crash and an inquiry. The official findings were "we may never know what happened, there were too many survivors."
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#30]
Originally Posted By SuperX925:

100% agree.

Our government and military has been shown to be as bad as any with the manipulation propaganda. I don’t believe any of the old war stories anymore.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
When the reports of "The Ghost Of Kiev" first came out, everybody here immediately called it out as propaganda, and used the fact Ukraine was using propaganda as proof that they could not be trusted and were actually the "bad guy" in the conflict.

But we still desperately cling to every hero story ever told by the US Military. Because surely OUR government would never embellish or totally make up stories of incredible heroism and sacrifice to inspire other people to put themselves in harms way. Right?

100% agree.

To be fair, U. America has a history of being factual in their reporting of war-time incidents. Whereas Russia and their former satellite nations have a Slavic tradition of medieval embellishments.. add a collectivist spin on it from 1920 onwards. At least that's my take on it.

Still doesn't excuse how callous our military has been in this century with regards to say Rafael Peralta in Fallujah or Pat Tillman in Afghanistan. The former, I remember reading a book, a lot of "line" dudes were basically exhausted, and just ran it up for him to get a medal after being friendly-fucked.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Another memoir I'd suggest is "Thunder Below" about the USS Barb. It's written more as a logbook of the war with exposition and stories to fill in between.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:52:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vern1968] [#32]
I refuse to say anything bad about Audie Murphy. Man was a damn hero for god sakes. How many books have you written? How many movies did you star in? No man is perfect.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Pretty much everything our government tells us is a lie. Only makes sense the stories of heroism would be embellished to suit their purposes.

One of the biggest myths of the 20th century was portraying us as the good guy vs all our enemies. Our government really isn't much different then all the bad ones when you dig into it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Murphy also suffered from PTSD
During the scene in the movie when Brandon was killed, Murphy re-lived the scene for real. He had a meltdown, that was "real" screaming BRANDON!!!!

No, he was not a really good actor, nor a writer.
Want to read bad writing? go read Boyington's Baa Baa Black Sheep. I think he was still drunk when he wrote it
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#35]
Originally Posted By centermass181:
Audie Leon Murphy was a legend in his own time  

see avatar.
View Quote
Indeed

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#36]
My dad had PTSD from fighting in the 88th Inf Div in Northern Italy. He was wounded. I can only imagine what he went through. War is hell. It's also a meat grinder. Some people do all the wrong shit and live, while others do all the right shit, and die.
The man was involved in multiple engagements of armed conflict, and he was fortunate enough, or cursed enough to survive. I've seen a man overwhelmed by survivor guilt. Now imagine how many times Audie Murphy survived while others around him died.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Did I make first ...
SABATON - To Hell And Back (Official Lyric Video)
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I felt the same way after reading John Mosby's book. Lots of self-aggrandizing and what seemed like overinflated accounts of his heroics. It was like he pissed on every Union soldier he met to establish dominance, with them always cowering at the sight of him and making themselves his prisoners.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:

Get the fuck out.
View Quote

The Marines wouldn’t have take him because he was too small.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#40]
This post nailed it.
View All Quotes
If you want to read about Audie Murphy then there are plenty of modern biographies out their on him by people who have done extensive research and interviews when possible

All of these biographies confirm that he indeed was a great soldier and earned every medal he received

If anything they show him in a human light with many issues he had before, during and after the war.  

He was very brave, could be mean at times and had a temper/anger issues throughout his life. He could also be kind and considerate too

If anything else the other books I have read about him show him even more brave than his movie and book.  

This post nailed it.

Seems like his wife was pretty amazing person in her own right.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By anachronism:

View Quote

Spot on.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: atomicbrh] [#42]
There is a unauthorized biography of Audie Murphy that is very good. It even goes into the postwar research that DoD conducted on Murphy's combat skills because they wanted to create hundreds of thousands of "Audie Murphies". They discovered that it was impossible for every kid to grow up outdoors in the open expanses of rural Texas, basically starving, doing manual labor so many hours per day that sleep deprivation happens, and having to make a quick shot on a suddenly appearing fast target(jack rabbit) with only one cartridge or your siblings go hungry.  It has been 40 years since I read that book.  I cannot remember the title.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I read the book last summer. Glad l read it, but l had the same feeling about it.  

Audie Murphy was my dad's boy hood hero.  We share the same middle name because of that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#45]

How about I just stick to reading nonfiction accounts of true events with the events presented as close to the authors memory as possible? Plenty of other authors manage to do it.
View Quote

How about you should set your radio to receive and not transmit.

America's most decorated soldier had PTSD, a 5th grade education, and left alot of stuff OUT.  If you read his DSC and Medal of Honor citation, then the book passages, you'd realize this.

Maybe you should go find another author then. You started this post.  Or go to war and write abook about it yourself.  The writing is the easy part. Usually doesn't get you killed.

History is a discipline.  Lots of first person depictions by men who accomplished alot, were written by men who weren't great writers. And left stuff out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Makarov:
Everybody who lived through the war years had known people who were killed. They all wanted to believe that their son, their father, that boy who lived down the street had died doing something important. That their sacrifice had made a difference. People wanted good war stories, not a well sourced historical thesis. The more dead NAZIs and dead Japs, the better.
View Quote

I'm currently with my nose in some of the unpublished works of James Jones and I can see why nobody would publish them in 1946. He told it like it was.

His description of Guadalcanal vets that had been stateside to recover and their anger at the war, the army, the entire system, horse's ass officers and NCOs, the whole shooting match. A lot of them just went AWOL when they felt like it and didn't GAF if they got busted for it or not. Why care? They knew they were getting sent back into the shit again when they recovered. Many returned as angry alcoholics to a completely changed world.

Of course every magazine posted that their son, husband, kid next door would be back to normal after a couple of weeks and now we ALL know that's bullshit.

Leckie in Helmet for my pillow got away with it to a certain extent because it was published in 1957, well over a decade after the war ended.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:43:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B] [#47]
Originally Posted By ACDer:
The best part of the book was Murphy recounting winning the MOH by standing on a burning tank destroyer to use the machine gun to mow down geman infantry. He wrote that it was the first time in weeks that his feet were warm.

I thought the book had a pretty strong anti- war tone to it.

His MOH citation

"2d Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by 6 tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to prepared positions in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, 1 of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machinegun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from 3 sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective."
View Quote

He did for an hour; it was a few minutes in the movie.
And he was standing on a burning vehicle full of gas and ammo.

I believe he was calling in artillery on his position as well
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Another memoir I'd suggest is "Thunder Below" about the USS Barb. It's written more as a logbook of the war with exposition and stories to fill in between.
View Quote
I just got this to read. My cousin, a submariner, recommended it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BoneB1B:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoneB1B:
Originally Posted By ACDer:
The best part of the book was Murphy recounting winning the MOH by standing on a burning tank destroyer to use the machine gun to mow down geman infantry. He wrote that it was the first time in weeks that his feet were warm.

I thought the book had a pretty strong anti- war tone to it.

His MOH citation

"2d Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by 6 tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to prepared positions in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, 1 of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machinegun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from 3 sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective."

What is the quote when asked what was going through his mind while on the back of the tank destroyer?

“It was the warmest my feet had been in a long time”

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#50]

What is the quote when asked what was going through his mind while on the back of the tank destroyer?

“It was the warmest my feet had been in a long time”

View Quote

He was used to combat
Warm feet wasn’t a common event for him at that point.
Interesting perspective, really
Page / 3
Top Top