BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thawntex:
The aggressive sexuality of the 80s was not healthy for the male psyche in my opinion, especially when it came to kids in their formative years.

I still scratch my head at my parents getting cable and allowing me to watch hours of lewd videos in my preadolescence. It pretty well fucked my brain up for life.

As far as the brooding goes, let's not forget the plethora of 80s cuck power ballads that ran like an endless lament over losing your lover and wallowing in loneliness and despair.

I liked a lot of 80s music as a kid, and I still think some of it is great. I also think that there were some very unhealthy messages and images mixed in there that the world could've done without.

I'm thankful that the music landscape is what it is today. My kids can be more selective in what they listen to, and some of what they're into is really good. They're not plopped down in front of the television taking in everything their mass media overlords throw at them, witnessing hours of absolute garbage just to see something of quality here and there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thawntex:
Originally Posted By Edge-To-Life:
I was just thinking about the societal impact of grunge on the male psyche. We traded aggressive sexuality for brooding and celebrated the loner. This, coupled with the rise of rap fed what would become of the modern male and female. Pop tried to desperately hang on, producing the likes of Brittany Spears, who played the role of a meth addicted cheerleader too well. But, that's what they had to sell. It continues today with Miley Cyrus, etc. Even when bands put a harder spin on their music, they're still whining (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, blah, blah). Imagine that putrid self-loathing shit pumped between your ears and being told it's good.
The aggressive sexuality of the 80s was not healthy for the male psyche in my opinion, especially when it came to kids in their formative years.

I still scratch my head at my parents getting cable and allowing me to watch hours of lewd videos in my preadolescence. It pretty well fucked my brain up for life.

As far as the brooding goes, let's not forget the plethora of 80s cuck power ballads that ran like an endless lament over losing your lover and wallowing in loneliness and despair.

I liked a lot of 80s music as a kid, and I still think some of it is great. I also think that there were some very unhealthy messages and images mixed in there that the world could've done without.

I'm thankful that the music landscape is what it is today. My kids can be more selective in what they listen to, and some of what they're into is really good. They're not plopped down in front of the television taking in everything their mass media overlords throw at them, witnessing hours of absolute garbage just to see something of quality here and there.

Ballads ranged from professing love, mourning the death of loved ones, and yes, occasionally, the whiney “why did you leave”. There was a panoply of themes. The themes of the aforementioned genre seems singularly focused on self-loathing- an unmanly quality.

I’m sorry your parents let you watch MTV and it “fucked” your “brain for life.” They had no impact on me despite my age. I do wonder, however, the the sexualized 60s had the same impact.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

Please do keep in mind that I am not above using sarcasm in my posts.

I happen to think that use your illusion, both albums, represent the pinnacle of the 80s rock movement, even though they technically did not happen in the 80s. But you also make a fair point. In posting that, the tongue in cheek point I was trying to make, was about the ostentatious and excessive nature of literally everything. G’n’R was insanely talented yet equally insanely over the top in everything they did and I absolutely understand why the world got sick of it. November Rain was sort of the magnum opus, to me, of talent hopelessly entwined in ostentatiousness.

I’m not half as mad at grunge as I make out to be.

I just hate that some very good, very talented bands got lost in the shuffle, literally. And that’s sort of the point of this thread. We didn’t need another KISS imitation hair band. Fair enough. That was done to death after 15+ years. But we lost or at least missed some talent in the process.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:

This album is a great example of the best of what your point seems to be… At it’s best, Use your Illusion is fantastic.

At it’s worst, it’s overproduced b-sides that should never have made it. Use your Illusion should have been edited to one spectacular disc. Another example of the 80s excess that lead to the 90s pushback..

I happen to think that use your illusion, both albums, represent the pinnacle of the 80s rock movement, even though they technically did not happen in the 80s. But you also make a fair point. In posting that, the tongue in cheek point I was trying to make, was about the ostentatious and excessive nature of literally everything. G’n’R was insanely talented yet equally insanely over the top in everything they did and I absolutely understand why the world got sick of it. November Rain was sort of the magnum opus, to me, of talent hopelessly entwined in ostentatiousness.

I just hate that some very good, very talented bands got lost in the shuffle, literally. And that’s sort of the point of this thread. We didn’t need another KISS imitation hair band. Fair enough. That was done to death after 15+ years. But we lost or at least missed some talent in the process.

‘Sall good man

Did you ever get to check out the new Black Crowes album? It is really good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

There is no modern rock. What little there is are legacy bands whose members are on their last legs
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Originally Posted By Scratch45:

Rap now is not the rap of 40 uears ago.
Rock and roll has been around for over 60 years

There is no modern rock. What little there is are legacy bands whose members are on their last legs

Gonna guess you are in your 50s or 60s...
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Now that you mention it/put it that way, school shootings really took off in the wake of grunge music, too.
View All Quotes
I was just thinking about the societal impact of grunge on the male psyche. We traded aggressive sexuality for brooding and celebrated the loner. This, coupled with the rise of rap fed what would become of the modern male and female. Pop tried to desperately hang on, producing the likes of Brittany Spears, who played the role of a meth addicted cheerleader too well. But, that’s what they had to sell. It continues today with Miley Cyrus, etc. Even when bands put a harder spin on their music, they’re still whining (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, blah, blah). Imagine that putrid self-loathing shit pumped between your ears and being told it’s good.

Now that you mention it/put it that way, school shootings really took off in the wake of grunge music, too.

Correlation is not causation. Do you know what else took off? Psych meds for teens. ADHD. Single parent households. 24/7 news coverage. Internet access.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]

‘Sall good man

View Quote

I have a road trip coming up. It's on the list for then.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Correlation is not causation. Do you know what else took off? Psych meds for teens. ADHD. Single parent households. 24/7 news coverage. Internet access.
View Quote

Yeah.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:

Honestly, I don't think it was. Grunge died out after 2000. Rock/metal was around a lot longer than 8-10 years like gunge and has made a resurgence. I was around 16 or so when that grunge fad rolled out and had been playing guitar in thrash and death metal bands for a few years at that point. I remember the skaters and alt rock/ indie fans jumped on the  grunge bandwagon. Very few metal heads in my area listened or cared for grunge. I didn't give grunge a listen till about 20 years ago, LOL.
I don't hate some of it.  I like Alice in chains and some Nirvanna and Stone Temple Pilots, but the rest doesn't intrest me. Basically it became a fad and the non music people and fringe groups listened to it trying to be cool and "hip". Like all fads it didn't last too long.
View Quote

Thrash also took a huge hit in popularity after the 80s when death metal, grindcore, and black metal surged.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:
It was going to happen regardless.

The longevity of Pearl Jam’s career and the depth of their catalog validates that choice entirely.
View Quote

granted on Pearl Jam, but can we talk about how overrated Nirvana was/is?  Jesus they suck
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:22:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G_1759] [#9]
The Seattle grunge started in the mid 80’s. It didn’t really get known until Mother Love Bone’s Andrew Wood passed. The offshoot bands played together in some form from the beginning then formed their own bands that you know.
Green River was the start and together with Malfunkshun became MLB and Mudhoney. Melvins, Misfits, Soundgarden, U-Men early on. Tad, Nirvana, AIC, Hole, Pscam, etc..

Some odd ones that were like the Accused that was a crossover like say DRI.

Gruntruck

My Sisters Machine

I Hate You (Uncensored) Vinyl - My Sister's Machine

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Who remembers this before they were famous

Queen of the Rodeo-Alice in Chains lyrics
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes
I was just thinking about the societal impact of grunge on the male psyche. We traded aggressive sexuality for brooding and celebrated the loner. This, coupled with the rise of rap fed what would become of the modern male and female. Pop tried to desperately hang on, producing the likes of Brittany Spears, who played the role of a meth addicted cheerleader too well. But, that’s what they had to sell. It continues today with Miley Cyrus, etc. Even when bands put a harder spin on their music, they’re still whining (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, blah, blah). Imagine that putrid self-loathing shit pumped between your ears and being told it’s good.

Yeah, the mopey, negative, depressing, self-loathing, hopelessness of the grunge genre was also probably a factor in the increased use of SSRIs and broken homes/families, too.

What was it about the early 90s that made people identify with such a negative, depressing and self-loathing influence as grunge music and the musicians that performed it? I just never understood it. We just got done kicking ass in the Gulf War, we were winning the cold war, the Berlin Wall came down and yet as a culture it’s like a bunch of people just gave up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MacManus:

granted on Pearl Jam, but can we talk about how overrated Nirvana was/is?  Jesus they suck
View Quote

Nirvana is great. People still love their music. Overrated? Maybe a little bit. Their songs are still excellent (except maybe Smells Like Teen Spirit)

I agree with a previous poster: "Grunge" is kind of a made-up thing.

Is Soundgarden grunge? I ... guess?  Presidents of the United States? Hardly

The one band from the era I don't like is Alice in Chains, I feel like their music is too down/dark/depressing for me - however "Rooster" is a great song.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Yeah, the mopey, negative, depressing, self-loathing, hopelessness of the grunge genre was also probably a factor in the increased use of SSRIs and broken homes/families, too.

What was it about the early 90s that made people identify with such a negative, depressing and self-loathing influence as grunge music and the musicians that performed it? I just never understood it. We just got done kicking ass in the Gulf War, we were winning the cold war, the Berlin Wall came down and yet as a culture it’s like a bunch of people just gave up.
View Quote

You're buying into the narrative.

What even is grunge? Even music experts and historians struggle to define what "Grunge" is, and even bands associated as "Grunge" are wildly different.

It's not like 80s rock bands where they all pretty much sound the same, dress the same, look the same, act the same.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#14]
OP likes his men with tight jeans and makeup.

I'm not say that OP likes to sword fight, but Grunge was the best thing post punk.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]

What even is grunge? Even music experts and historians struggle to define what "Grunge" is, and even bands associated as "Grunge" are wildly different.

It's not like 80s rock bands where they all pretty much sound the same, dress the same, look the same, act the same.
View All Quotes

Not buying into anything. I experienced it. It was palpable. Bill Clinton even tapped into it. Thanks for that one, too.

If the 80s bands all sounded, dressed, looked and acted the same, the bands that rose to prominence in the early 90s doubled or tripled down on that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:00:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Grunge (the movement) felt more like a cleansing than an evolution.  Maybe it compares to early Punk.  The bands didn't sound the same, but they were part of something.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

That’s a pretty deep take. Wow.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Nirvana is great. People still love their music. Overrated? Maybe a little bit. Their songs are still excellent (except maybe Smells Like Teen Spirit)

I agree with a previous poster: "Grunge" is kind of a made-up thing.

Is Soundgarden grunge? I ... guess?  Presidents of the United States? Hardly

The one band from the era I don't like is Alice in Chains, I feel like their music is too down/dark/depressing for me - however "Rooster" is a great song.
View Quote

I love Nirvana. Even (especially!) SLTS.

I also agree that AiC was generally a bit dark for my tastes but Rooster was a great song.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Grunge was largely defined by the depressing angsty tone of their music, IMO.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#20]

What was it about the early 90s that made people identify with such a negative, depressing and self-loathing influence as grunge music and the musicians that performed it? I just never understood it. We just got done kicking ass in the Gulf War, we were winning the cold war, the Berlin Wall came down and yet as a culture it's like a bunch of people just gave up.
View Quote

There's nothing new about it. Most people are like 10-50% sad as a baseline. People have ALWAYS liked sad music.
A huge subsection of metal is sad, hopeless, and nihilistic. Fade to Black? 1984. Hell, go back to the classical opera tragedies. People have always loved sad music. Grunge is nothing new there really.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

A huge subsection of metal is sad, hopeless, and nihilistic.
View Quote

That's a fair point. The 'heavy' in 'heavy metal' has nothing to do with the music and everything to do with the heavy foreboding subject matter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#22]
We're all responsible for our own actions period.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#23]

That's a fair point. The 'heavy' in 'heavy metal' has nothing to do with the music and everything to do with the heavy foreboding subject matter.
View All Quotes

A huge subsection of metal is sad, hopeless, and nihilistic.

Well, I'm not so sure about that though it's true sometimes. There's lots of metal bands that are also happy and uplifting and undeniably metal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#24]

There's nothing new about it. Most people are like 10-50% sad as a baseline. People have ALWAYS liked sad music.
A huge subsection of metal is sad, hopeless, and nihilistic. Fade to Black? 1984. Hell, go back to the classical opera tragedies. People have always loved sad music. Grunge is nothing new there really.
View All Quotes

What was it about the early 90s that made people identify with such a negative, depressing and self-loathing influence as grunge music and the musicians that performed it? I just never understood it. We just got done kicking ass in the Gulf War, we were winning the cold war, the Berlin Wall came down and yet as a culture it's like a bunch of people just gave up.

Fuck, I was at Kroger yesterday and heard this tune called "Last Song" by Edward Bear from 1972. It was awful.

Every time I think I've heard every sad adult contemporary song from the 70s with trombone, along comes another one while I'm at the store browsing the tortillas.

It's like Dennis Leary said regarding Judas Priest getting sued after that kid committed suicide, "Does that mean I can sue Dan Fogelberg for making me a pussy in the mid-70s?"
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Well, I'm not so sure about that though it's true sometimes. There's lots of metal bands that are also happy and uplifting and undeniably metal.
View Quote

That's the kind of metal I actually like.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:55:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#26]

View All Quotes

I like some bands from just about every metal genre except grind/slam but yeah I really enjoy that stuff too....but sometimes I just want to listen to something depressing, and I usually go for black metal for that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Elton John predicted grunge .
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

At some point in there, people stopped being musicians and became marketing firms.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
Originally Posted By FlashHole:
Rock n roll died in the nineties.  It's been mostly horrible ever since.

But then again, literally everything has been down hill since the eighties.

At some point in there, people stopped being musicians and became marketing firms.
Agreed. Grunge was and is terrible.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]

‘Sall good man

View All Quotes

This album is a great example of the best of what your point seems to be… At it’s best, Use your Illusion is fantastic.

At it’s worst, it’s overproduced b-sides that should never have made it. Use your Illusion should have been edited to one spectacular disc. Another example of the 80s excess that lead to the 90s pushback..

‘Sall good man

Happiness Bastards?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By OldGlazier:

Happiness Bastards?
View All Quotes

‘Sall good man

Happiness Bastards?

Yep! They’ve been highly consistent over their career and Happiness Bastards is no exception.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Yep! They’ve been highly consistent over their career and Happiness Bastards is no exception.
View All Quotes

‘Sall good man

Happiness Bastards?

I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Yeah, we all got weepy over Seasons In The Sun and Cat’s In The Cradle. But generally those were one off songs or as you said, subsections. Not an entire genre that rose to prominence.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn Yankees - Come Again (Official Video)

That Nugent guitar solo at ~3:00, though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top