BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 49
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Francisco_dAnconia:

Posting that image is dishonest as all hell.  He didn't bring his hand up until the deputy had completed his presentation and could not have stopped himself.
https://i.ibb.co/yN0R6t3/Okaloosa-Shooting4.png
View Quote

Do you think that picture is better?  Does it show the victim being threatening with his left hand?

Hell, I think it may be worse.  But if you insist it puts things in a more accurate context...good luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Lug1:

The bottom line is it is quite obvious the airman did not need to be shot.  The cop in this case simply freaked out.  Could be he should never have been a cop, could be his training sucked, could be a lot of things.  But the bottom line is most rational normal people probably would not have shot the guy.  

View Quote

What's incredible is the disconnect between what reasonable men and reasonable officers believe is acceptable.  I think most people would have believed the reasonable officer standard to be higher, yet the reasonable officer believes this cop that freaked out did good enough work in killing this innocent man.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Samsound:

The one time that happened to me, I did go to my door with my weapon in hand. Once I clearly saw a deputy through the large window in my door, I placed my weapon on my workstation adjacent to the foyer. Then answered the door. Roger's apartment doesn't have a large window to observe visitors, and did not appear to have anywhere to immediately place the weapon once ordered to open the door. Y'all are doing some serious mental gymnastics to convince yourselves he brought it on himself, or had ill intent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BCPVP:
Be fucking honest for a moment: if you saw it was a cop at your door, you're still going to answer it with a gun in your hand, on the off chance it's actually an criminal posing as a cop?

The one time that happened to me, I did go to my door with my weapon in hand. Once I clearly saw a deputy through the large window in my door, I placed my weapon on my workstation adjacent to the foyer. Then answered the door. Roger's apartment doesn't have a large window to observe visitors, and did not appear to have anywhere to immediately place the weapon once ordered to open the door. Y'all are doing some serious mental gymnastics to convince yourselves he brought it on himself, or had ill intent.

If you saw the cop through the window then odds are he saw you.  The reasonable officers here would call that a lawful shoot if the cop would have killed you.  

Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Most all of the suggestions that Forsten was engaged in criminal activity, assertions that he caused his death by being dumb answering the door with a gun in his hand, and debating the extent he knew it was a police encounter  is pure copium.  We do know that Forsten was not involved nor had knowledge in setting up this encounter as he wasn’t the one that called for service.

Their was ONE armed professional that by virtue of wearing that badge is presumed to be trained by being certified by the state competent to initiate encounters with the public at large who actually ARE involved in criminal activity, armed, and being stupid, without unnecessary violence.  The only one present that was licensed and trained to initiate this encounter fucked up and killed a citizen that didn’t need killing.  And that’s the bottom line.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Do you think that picture is better?  Does it show the victim being threatening with his left hand?

Hell, I think it may be worse.  But if you insist it puts things in a more accurate context...good luck.
View All Quotes

Posting that image is dishonest as all hell.  He didn't bring his hand up until the deputy had completed his presentation and could not have stopped himself.

That’s the first time I noticed the little white dog.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]

What's incredible is the disconnect between what reasonable men and reasonable officers believe is acceptable.  I think most people would have believed the reasonable officer standard to be higher, yet the reasonable officer believes this cop that freaked out did good enough work in killing this innocent man.  
View Quote

The disconnect is tragic but should be expected.  The police industry do not consider themselves accountable to the public.  They are only accountable to higher up cops who are only somewhat accountable to politicians.  Public outrage is not only dismissed out of hand but openly mocked as seen in this thread.  They know that they will be validated by other cops no matter how bad of a shit show they create. And that’s all that matters.

Nothing will change until they are told to change by higher cops.  More grand jury indictments and more prison terms might move the needle, but I really don’t know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

The disconnect is tragic but should be expected.  The police industry do not consider themselves accountable to the public.  They are only accountable to higher up cops who are only somewhat accountable to politicians.  Public outrage is not only dismissed out of hand but openly mocked as seen in this thread.  They know that they will be validated by other cops no matter how bad of a shit show they create. And that’s all that matters.

Nothing will change until they are told to change by higher cops.  More grand jury indictments and more prison terms might move the needle, but I really don’t know.
View All Quotes

Different context than used here but that might be what it takes to get things changed. "An eye for an eye"
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:03:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixgunner45] [#8]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
The only people that I have ever encountered that really care about the word civilian are here.
View Quote

Yeah, cops just don't want to admit that they, indeed, are civilians.  They think they are above that title for some strange reason.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

This is one the things that bugs me the most about modern LE. They are civilians themselves. Every single last one of them are civilians themselves. Stop referring to other people as civilians. You are one, too!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OCW:
Originally Posted By MSGTUSAF:
Originally Posted By XNARC:

Here .just like the gd, understand shit half ass

https://i.imgur.com/KtquXKe.jpg

You realize the police whined to get the definition changed cause they didn't like being called civilian. The definition of civilian for the past century was basically anyone under the ucmj, cops aren't under the ucmj, they just whine alot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/69551DFC-27D9-43C7-A924-B4B7C315B0D7_jpe-3213020.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/240604/DE4F32C1-7900-4A1A-BE7C-311C5EBEE884_jpe-3213022.JPG

This is one the things that bugs me the most about modern LE. They are civilians themselves. Every single last one of them are civilians themselves. Stop referring to other people as civilians. You are one, too!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, and charged, would your jury be made up of btdt soldiers, or would they draw from the citizens of Baghdad, and then you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.
View Quote

You are a cop. A cop.

You aren’t at war.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Whenever one of my cop friends would refer to non cops as civilians, I would ask "are you subject to the UCMJ? No? Then you are a civilian too". Boy they hated that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

You are a cop. A cop.
You aren’t at war.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Low_Country:
Originally Posted By XNARC:Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, and charged, would your jury be made up of btdt soldiers, or would they draw from the citizens of Baghdad, and then you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.

You are a cop. A cop.
You aren’t at war.
I’m not even going to argue against drawing in that scenario, it’d make sense. But once you have the draw on the guy instructing him to drop the weapon rather than immediately getting all shooty seems logical.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Can't really add anything of value that hasn't already been said so I'll just say that this situation is not earning the sheriff's office there and friends or goodwill. Also, cops, FF, and EMTs are all civilians. Always have been, always will be.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]
is it true that the phone call argument that the Karen neighbor called to complain about happened on a completely different day?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MSGTUSAF] [#15]
So question for the Leo's on here, if the kid had chose to defend himself as the cop started draw, would it be self defense?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#16]

If you saw the cop through the window then odds are he saw you.  The reasonable officers here would call that a lawful shoot if the cop would have killed you.  

Let that sink in.
View Quote
Sounds like you're preaching to the choir on your 2nd point, but you're inventing information about my window. Persons outside my front door can't see clearly at all through the window in my door. It's mostly frosted decoratively with only some filigrees and a thin outline of clear glass. I never turn on my foyer or studio (front office) lights unless needed. So from outside in daylight, or under my porch light it's very difficult to se inside with any kind of fidelity. From inside I can easily get a decent look at the general makeup and posture of the visitor, gaining more detail as I approach. I also often have security camera feeds up at my workstation (which is 3 feet from the door) and I'll scan the porch cam as I approach.

But yes, if that shoot was 'good' by reasonable officers then the same could be said about officers shooting me if they could actually see me walk toward my foyer with my firearm in hand. And that's nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BamaMarine:

Why the hell would I shoot him?

Jesus some of you are terrified at the thought of people carrying a weapon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BamaMarine:
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:
Existence of guns is not a threat. Cops can't just shoot someone open carrying on the street, nor can they do so in your own house. The Deputy had no provocation for his attack, and has no justification for claiming it was in defense of himself or others. It is murder / manslaughter.

I give a lot of people the benefit of the doubt in these circumstances because what happened is obviously a tragedy. But it is clear that lots of people don't have any ability to think critically about these types of incidents.

Lets say YOU, not a police officer, were walking door to door in this apartment complex, with your daughter, because she wanted to sell Girl Scout cookies. So you knocked on each door, yelled "Girl Scout Cookies", and waited. At this particular door, after knocking and announcing your purpose, the door swings open and our young Airman is standing there, holding a pistol. You draw your concealed pistol and shoot him.

Was that murder? Was that first degree murder? Using your logic, he is in his house with a firearm. He has brought that firearm to his door. Using your logic, no one at the other side of the door has any right to feel threatened, because a gun in a hand isn't threatening.

But of course the truth is that it is complicated and really boils down to how you, as the shooter, understood the facts presented to you. And if you thought the gun was MEANT to be threatening, you would have made a reasonable conclusion and even the most progressive anti-gun DAs office would have a hard time convincing anyone to the contrary. And a jury in most states, especially Florida, would have a hard time convicting you of any type of murder in the scenario presented above. And that is the standard that the sheriff will be held to, "what facts did he reasonably understand at the time of the shooting". And it is why when police show up at my door, or people I believe to be the police, I make sure that my hands are clear and visible. And it is also why I generally NEVER have a firearm in my hand when I am interacting with strangers. Which is very different from saying I am ever unarmed.

None of this is saying that the officer had to shoot the young man. But the mental dynamics so many people, including you, are applying to why he COULDN'T LEGALLY have shot him misses that there isn't a law enforcement agency that I know of in this country, and most other countries, where this shooting would be against law or policy. And that is what makes it a tragedy. No one loved this kid enough to tell him answering the door this way was a bad idea, or he had done it for long enough he thought it was good idea, and the exception proved it all wrong.

Why the hell would I shoot him?

Jesus some of you are terrified at the thought of people carrying a weapon.

There are a LOT of cops that bitterly contested us mere civilians being allowed to carry. There are more here then most will honestly admit. They LOVED that they had special rights and privileges over us, hell, in many states they still have far more rights where firearms are concerned.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like you're preaching to the choir on your 2nd point, but you're inventing information about my window. Persons outside my front door can't see clearly at all through the window in my door. It's mostly frosted decoratively with only some filigrees and a thin outline of clear glass. I never turn on my foyer or studio (front office) lights unless needed. So from outside in daylight, or under my porch light it's very difficult to se inside with any kind of fidelity. From inside I can easily get a decent look at the general makeup and posture of the visitor, gaining more detail as I approach. I also often have security camera feeds up at my workstation (which is 3 feet from the door) and I'll scan the porch cam as I approach.

But yes, if that shoot was 'good' by reasonable officers then the same could be said about officers shooting me if they could actually see me walk toward my foyer with my firearm in hand. And that's nonsense.
View Quote

That exact scenario has happened and been justified right here in GD
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#19]
So question for the Leo's on here, if the kid had chose to defend himself as the cop started draw, would it be self defense?
View Quote

Good question. Technically, maybe. But in the end it would probably be up to a jury to decide. There is no question in my mind that airman had absolutely no intention of shooting that cop. And I'm not convinced he even knew it was a cop on the other side of that door. Regardless of what some here are saying. When the facetime call between the Airman and the girl is finally released in full we will have a much better idea of what actually went down.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

The ARFCOPS are arguing that it’s perfectly legal and okay to shoot someone suspected of domestic violence who has a gun, so the Airman would have a 40% chance of being justified shooting any cop by that logic.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:

The ARFCOPS are arguing that it’s perfectly legal and okay to shoot someone suspected of domestic violence who has a gun, so the Airman would have a 40% chance of being justified shooting any cop by that logic.
View Quote

Hmmm
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KOOLKEV:

Good question. Technically, maybe. But in the end it would probably be up to a jury to decide. There is no question in my mind that airman had absolutely no intention of shooting that cop. And I'm not convinced he even knew it was a cop on the other side of that door. Regardless of what some here are saying. When the facetime call between the Airman and the girl is finally released in full we will have a much better idea of what actually went down.
View All Quotes

I'll reiterate this point for those who missed it, or don't understand.

FaceTime does not record your calls. Besides the logistics issues of storing all that data, it would also likely run afoul of anti-wiretapping laws if the people using the service weren't aware their calls were being recorded (some states require both parties on the call to consent to recording).

The recording of the call likely started too late to be of much use. The interaction with the officer would have prompted them to begin recording.  Unless there was some other motive to record the call, it's probable a recording prior to the shooting simply never existed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Let that sink in.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be a gun.  A cop can shoot at 17 year old holding a Wii controller and not get charges.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-cop-wont-be-charged-shooting-death-teen-n158306
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#24]
What's crazy is I NEVER SAID THAT!  I'm going to assume that your reading comprehension and command of the English language are garbage.  Your later paragraph proves this when you confuse the definition of assumed and verified.  Another failure of comprehension can be seen here:There is lots of legal shit that can kill you.  Whether or not Fortson committed a crime is irrelevant.  He completed the three elements of AOJ.  That's Ability (can aim and fire before the knocker can do anything about it), Opportunity (he's within a few feet without the knocker being securely behind cover), and Jeopardy (the choice to have the pistol in hand AND display it to the knocker instead of concealed from view or holstered instead of held.)

Yet again: I DID NOT SAY ANY OF THAT!  I did not claim that the mere existence of a weapon is threatening.  I did not say that FL law said that.

1) It is reasonable for anyone outside the door to feel threatened by the door being opened with the pistol visibly in hand.  If that wouldn't scare you then I am concerned for you.
2) He caused the effect by his choice.  It is possible to be prepared and keep the pistol out of sight so that argument is bunk too.

Open carry has nothing to do with this situation.

I heard that the ROEs in Iraq and Afghanistan were messed up, but learning that the ROE overrode your right to self-defense is a VERY sad day.

We do have bodycam with the word "police" being audible a few seconds before the door is opened.  You can argue it wasn't him, it was misunderstood, or he was talking to himself about calling the police instead of answering the door if you want.  I'm going to stick with it being Fortson and he knew or knew it was likely it was the police until and unless the deputy's or a witness's statement is released and says otherwise.

There's a big difference between assuming and them showing it to you.  I've been arguing from the assumption that everyone understood this.

This was very much advertent on Fortson's part.  Well, that's not quite true -- you could argue that he accidently opened the door or that he simply forgot he was holding the pistol.

Strange that you excoriate the deputy for staying to the side and shooting while simultaneously claiming you would get yourself out of the fatal funnel.  That statement demonstrates that, at least subconsciously, you know the truth.

View Quote

ROE required 2 things. Positive ID and either hostile act or hostile intent.

If those don't meet your standard for use of deadly force, you shouldn't be working in a capacity that so regularly puts you in questionable positions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

FaceTime does not record your calls. Besides the logistics issues of storing all that data, it would also likely run afoul of anti-wiretapping laws if the people using the service weren't aware their calls were being recorded (some states require both parties on the call to consent to recording).

The recording of the call likely started too late to be of much use. The interaction with the officer would have prompted them to begin recording.  Unless there was some other motive to record the call, it's probable a recording prior to the shooting simply never existed.
View All Quotes

My mistake. Thank you for clarifying.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SekFan:

Evidently you and your “half the country” have plenty in common with BLM.  You take one, two - hell, a dozen highly emotional incidents over the years - to be proof positive of all cops are bastards.  The whole time ignoring that there are millions of absolutely boring police/citizen contacts a year.  

I suggest getting your emotions under control.  Not doing so inevitably leads to citing the same, single bullshit DV study of some a couple hundred random PD officers.  Does the family of an over emotional liar have his back, do they?  

View Quote

Stop trying to make ACAB on par with calling someone racist.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

He looks vicious. Maybe the cop was aiming at the dog.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Towely] [#28]
If answering a door with a gun in hand is enough to make it go-time I would have shot so many people while working patrol...

Even when you announce, loudly, it was pretty regular that people would answer without knowing who was at the door.

Now.. a smarter person keeps the weapon out of sight while they assess who is actually at the door, but sometimes shit happens.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

You may have just broke the case!  That makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The muffled banging, yelling, screaming "Police" is NOT something that should somehow grant police immunity from anything else.

Hell...if cops get so much legal leeway for being in danger, they should be REQUIRED to shoot SECOND...every time.

Seriously, someone comes banging on my screaming incoherently, I'd have a gun or three at hand/in hand when I came to the door. If the knocker were also doing furtive peeks around the window while banging in an aggressive manner, I may put some suppressive rounds through the door while I dialed 911.

Why do cops think kicking doors would lead to a peaceful encounter?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Towely:
If answering a door with a gun in hand is enough to make it go-time I would have shot so many people while working patrol...

Even when you announce, loudly, it was pretty regular that people would answer without knowing who was at the door.

Now.. a smarter person keeps the weapon out of sight while they assess who is actually at the door, but sometimes shit happens.
View Quote

Thank you for the professional acknowledgement.  The SO in my AO work the rural areas.  EVERYONE has a gun or 12 and they are frequently visible.  I hear the RARE war stories of the particularly hairy ones, but they still aren’t shooting people over this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#32]

That exact scenario has happened and been justified right here in GD
View Quote
Oh I know it, man.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#33]

The internet disagreed with you… but maybe a stern letter to them may correct the definition?

View Quote

At what point did LEOs become non-civilians?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Aside…If I’m finger fucking a gun, dry firing, playing Batman and Batgirl role play with my wife, I shouldn’t have to think about “what the police might think”.
View Quote

This sounds kinky!

Tell us more about the “Batman and Batgirl” playtime.

Does it involve “the Batpole?”

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Thank you for the professional acknowledgement.  The SO in my AO work the rural areas.  EVERYONE has a gun or 12 and they are frequently visible.  I hear the RARE war stories of the particularly hairy ones, but they still aren’t shooting people over this.
View All Quotes

An overwhelming majority were completely uneventful.  Either you'd never see the gun, but you could hear them stash it after peaking out the door, or they'd immediately make it clear they weren't a threat and set it down.  Only once had someone actually answer the door with the gun pointed at me but, fortunately, in that case I unholstered and dove against the wall while she yelled "Oh my god! I'm sorry!"  Turns out she thought I was her abusive boyfriend coming back to finish her off, didn't expect me there so soon but by chance I happened to be right around the corner when the call came in.

Had to give a death notification to a guy that really didn't like law enforcement once.  When he answered he had the shotgun hanging over his forearm and gave me the "I don't care what you're here for, you can leave."  Told him I had some important info regarding his family and asked him to set the shotgun down.  He refused but I could tell it was one of those deals where he just wanted to prove a point so I verified he was the right guy, then told him that his dad died.  Changed his tune pretty quick after that.  Gave him contact info for the agency handling the death notification and let him use my cell phone to call them since he lived out in BF nowhere with no service or landline.

Ever since that day he was always civil with me whenever I'd bump into him, would even flag me down from time to time to bullshit.  Weird how friendly people can be when you aren't a dick to them and don't shoot them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

This sounds kinky!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

Aside…If I’m finger fucking a gun, dry firing, playing Batman and Batgirl role play with my wife, I shouldn’t have to think about “what the police might think”.

This sounds kinky!

I would love to explain further.  But I’m afraid of the potential violence we might be subjected to if the cops were made aware of how “civilians” are having fun in their personal lives without having cleared it with them first.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ryu:

Are these guys just functioning alcoholics or what?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Evil_Ryu:
The sheriff's office recently came under scrutiny after one of its deputies resigned following an internal investigation last year of an incident in which he fired his weapon multiple times at a detained suspect after mistaking the sound of an acorn hitting the roof of his patrol vehicle as a gunshot

Are these guys just functioning alcoholics or what?

Not to distract, but it's worse than that. Actually, three cops involved. After the shooting starts, the female cop on scene starts yelling, "what's going?!" at the same time she's firing her weapon in the general direction the acorn killer is. Third dude on scene can't figure out WTF, and looks like he knows he's forever fucked for being present for the shit show. Yeah, this department has issues.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#38]

An overwhelming majority were completely uneventful.  Either you'd never see the gun, but you could hear them stash it after peaking out the door, or they'd immediately make it clear they weren't a threat and set it down.  Only once had someone actually answer the door with the gun pointed at me but, fortunately, in that case I unholstered and dove against the wall while she yelled "Oh my god! I'm sorry!"  Turns out she thought I was her abusive boyfriend coming back to finish her off, didn't expect me there so soon but by chance I happened to be right around the corner when the call came in.

Had to give a death notification to a guy that really didn't like law enforcement once.  When he answered he had the shotgun hanging over his forearm and gave me the "I don't care what you're here for, you can leave."  Told him I had some important info regarding his family and asked him to set the shotgun down.  He refused but I could tell it was one of those deals where he just wanted to prove a point so I verified he was the right guy, then told him that his dad died.  Changed his tune pretty quick after that.  Gave him contact info for the agency handling the death notification and let him use my cell phone to call them since he lived out in BF nowhere with no service or landline.

Ever since that day he was always civil with me whenever I'd bump into him, would even flag me down from time to time to bullshit.  Weird how friendly people can be when you aren't a dick to them and don't shoot them.
View Quote

Bless you sir.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#39]
The very first time I was pulled over I had gone to the gun show earlier that day and purchased a demilled grenade.

Threw it in my glove compartment because I was 18 and stupid.

Got pulled over that evening and it was sitting there when I opened my glove comparent.  Cop goes WHAT IS THAT and being who I am o went "Oh don't worry its not real" and was going to show him the bottom but he yelled DONT REACH FOR IT.

Told me to get out of the car and patted me down. Went and sat in his patrol car while he confirmed it was demilled.

Afterwards he brought me back over and told me "I don't think you noticed but I drew on you as soon as the thing popped out.  It's really important that you don't have that in your glove box or else you could get killed"

I was fortunate in that I dealt with a cop who was calm and dealt with the situation in a matter where we both went home.

This kid wasn't even doing anything wrong besides being in the wrong place at the wrong time and he got lit up.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Hey that’s great… thank you your service, but to see if there is some relationship here, or the ‘same exact scenario’ , just afew questions: you’re you know tooling around Baghdad, maybe stopped for some tea at the local  Starbucks, single man unit in your humvee,  get a call about a disturbance at a house,  you roll up leave the m4 between the seat and radio, you keep your beretta on safe and holstered, and then announce yourself at the door?  You’re at the door , or in the house and then someone appears with an kalashnikov, or a pistol and…take it from there?  And, if you used deadly force, and charged, would your jury be made up of btdt soldiers, or would they draw from the citizens of Baghdad, and then you would be in some federal prison? Your branch of service sued for millions… just trying to see the similarities that’s all.
View Quote

Do you need us to crowdfund you some tampons?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#41]
"Civilian" is common vernacular for "someone not part of our scenario", or "someone normally off limits", i.e. not a cop or a criminal in this case.

"Citizen" is also used in a similar fashion.

Technically incorrect, but that's slang for you. It's pedantry not worth getting worked up over.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TAG_Match] [#42]
Originally Posted By prolapsed_cranium:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prolapsed_cranium:

Aren’t those free?  Like coffee and donuts?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By wingnutx:
"Civilian" is common vernacular for "someone not part of our scenario", or "someone normally off limits", i.e. not a cop or a criminal in this case.

Technically incorrect, but that's slang for you. It's pedantry not worth getting worked up over.

View Quote

Yeah always thought “citizen” would do just fine, but I don’t get wrapped around the axel about the whole “civilian” thing. I take it as equivalent to calling an NCO sir:  Something to fuck with someone about even though you know exactly how it was intended.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#44]

The internet disagreed with you… but maybe a stern letter to them may correct the definition?

View All Quotes

A lot of people reject the recent change in definition because it’s stupid.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

View Quote

It’s worth getting worked up over when cops think they’re above the rules of the rest of us. That’s why people are drawing the distinction - cops aren’t a special class of citizen that have more rights than the rest of us. It’s patently wrong that they can commit crimes and get away with them that the rest of us never would. It’s patently wrong that in some states, and in certain circumstances at the federal level, they have a fuller enjoyment of the 2nd amendment than the rest of us.

All of this stems from the backwards idea that cops are above “civilians” and deserve special privileges, when they are in fact if anything “below” civilians since they work for us.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Most all of the suggestions that Forsten was engaged in criminal activity, assertions that he caused his death by being dumb answering the door with a gun in his hand, and debating the extent he knew it was a police encounter  is pure copium.  We do know that Forsten was not involved nor had knowledge in setting up this encounter as he wasn’t the one that called for service.

Their was ONE armed professional that by virtue of wearing that badge is presumed to be trained by being certified by the state competent to initiate encounters with the public at large who actually ARE involved in criminal activity, armed, and being stupid, without unnecessary violence.  The only one present that was licensed and trained to initiate this encounter fucked up and killed a citizen that didn’t need killing.  And that’s the bottom line.
View Quote

To add to this, we have other cases. like the cop who was ambushed by the acorn, and the Somali cop who killed the woman who had reported a possible sexual assault.

Not to mention the cop who murdered Ashli Babitt.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By IronBeard:

Not to distract, but it's worse than that. Actually, three cops involved. After the shooting starts, the female cop on scene starts yelling, "what's going?!" at the same time she's firing her weapon in the general direction the acorn killer is. Third dude on scene can't figure out WTF, and looks like he knows he's forever fucked for being present for the shit show. Yeah, this department has issues.
View Quote

Acorn cop looked funny crawling around behind the car. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BCPVP:
I can't think of any tactical/safety benefit to opening your door with a gun in hand but at your side. If you're concerned, why are you opening the door in the first place? If you're not concerned, why are you answering with a gun in hand on full display?

The only reasons that make any sense are if you plan to shoot the person on the other side of the door or you want to make them think you will/might.

Don't really understand the pushback on this. WI is an open carry state but that doesn't mean I can walk around town with a gun in my hand, even if I don't point it at anyone. Likewise, being on my property doesn't mean it's impossible for me to brandish a gun.
View Quote

- You open a door with your gun at your side so you don't threaten the safety of the person on the other side of the door.

- You open your door when someone's banging on it because they might need help, or they might need to urgently speak with you.

- Opening the door doesn't mean you're not concerned, it means you want to speak to the person knocking on your door. The gun is in hand in case the person knocking has intentions of harming you or your family.

- Why would anyone have the gun by their side if they're planning on shooting the person on the other side of the door? Basic common sense would tell a person that they need to point the gun at the person in order to be able to shoot the person.

- The pushback on this one is because a completely innocent service member that did nothing wrong, was gunned down in a split second and the murderer has since been on a paid vacation rather than arrested for murder.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:

That’s why people are drawing the distinction - cops aren’t a special class of citizen that have more rights than the rest of us.

View Quote

Correct.

I always correct people when I hear them say things like “police officer or civilian,” as though there’s some distinction.

There isn’t.

Police ARE civilians (unless you’re talking about military police, i.e., federal troops).

People look at me like I’m strange for thinking this is important, but it is EXTREMELY important.

The Founding Fathers (who were the most brilliant intellectuals of the Enlightenment) very deliberately built a firewall between military troops and citizens, and with very good reasons that as valid today as they were 250 years ago.

Yes, police ARE civilians, and no, this is not merely a minor matter of semantics.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#50]
While I get Crump is a shitbag of the highest order, there's not much suspicious about that.

A FaceTime call is still a phone call, and are not normally recorded. It stands to reason the recording was by the person on the other side and they only began recording when there was a reason to do so (the person on the other side of the call getting shot).
View Quote
Good catch.  I assumed the video was taken from Fortson's phone not the GF videoing her phone with another one.

I did notice something new.  Fortson took a step or half-step forward into the door swing area just after opening the door and just after the deputy says "step back".
Page / 49
Top Top