BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By L_JE:
So, I go outside this morning, and it doesn't look like it did when I last saw it, yesterday.

I don't trust this thing.  You can't turn your back on it.  Worse yet, you carefully watch it go down over the horizon, and then, next thing you know, it sneaks up behind you.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Events/Celestial/i-Hghv4Mm/0/Fczv8mn22ZgKdJpbdPxp2pCGksnQ3h66F2kKVqXrQ/X3/DSC_5579%2B73C%201440px%20sRGB-X3.jpg
View Quote

We should shoot nukular bombs at it to show it who's boss.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
A more benign doomer question, does this increase the risk of skin cancer?
View Quote

California says YES!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

Honestly don't know!
View Quote
I'll just put on sunscreen then. I hate wearing it, but it's the time of year when the sun starts getting burning hot down here anyway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a few of the many I got here in Minnesota last night. Had to shrink them down.
Thinking of going out again tonight even though they are saying we might have a little bit of cloud cover.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll just put on sunscreen then. I hate wearing it, but it's the time of year when the sun starts getting burning hot down here anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Honestly don't know!

sunscreen stops UV light, it doesn't stop xrays or gamma radiation.

Just enjoy your extra doses of cosmic radiation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By agillig:
It seems like solar flares are heading toward us every other week, and nothing.  I'm not trying to troll, but explain to me in layman's terms why this 4 non-events are going to be an event.
View Quote

because mass brainwashing and fear require lots of time and repetition....
and deep state is pretty incompetent, so they need to put up 100 "doomsday scenarios" to get even on of their false flags to sorta work out
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes

Honestly don't know!

I love this place
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Nice.  Fingers crossed for a repeat.

And, on the off chance there's an X45 flare, and we descend into civilization-ending chaos, would you mind saving me a tent spot?  I'll bring some doughnuts.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bkpkr:
Heading to Pisgah NF with the family for an over nighter, hoping for a repeat!

Nice.  Fingers crossed for a repeat.

And, on the off chance there's an X45 flare, and we descend into civilization-ending chaos, would you mind saving me a tent spot?  I'll bring some doughnuts.

I’ll have a cold one waiting for you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgrant26] [#9]
Another possible shock arrival at L1. Timing works out for arrival of the first of the 2 Thursday CMEs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Can someone help a dummy out? Why was my camera able to pick up the brilliant colors but my naked eyes couldn't? Would it make a difference to view them in a completely unlit area away from town?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mr_o:
Can someone help a dummy out? Why was my camera able to pick up the brilliant colors but my naked eyes couldn't? Would it make a difference to view them in a completely unlit area away from town?
View Quote

The human eye is constantly receiving and rejecting light (at a rate of about 30 times per second) and your brain interprets that into an image. Cameras don't reject the light, they continuously collect it to create an image.
In simple terms a camera image is a long term exposure, even at standard imaging rates, compared to what your eye is seeing.
If you ever look at a celestial object through a telescope they tend to be very underwhelming vs what you see in astrophotography for this reason.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Amazing!!
Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Do we have a timeframe for the next couple hits?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Today's cameras are more sensitive than the human eye, and getting away from the "sky-glow" of urban lights greatly enhances the contrast between the aurora ans darker skies.. It's the same reason you can see more stars in rural areas.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By brass:

It won't be causing that large of gradient (voltage potential surge between feet).   Lightning strikes can create the 100V/in gradients but these are surging in long wavelengths, so squirrels and pigeons are safe from the magnetic surges we're currently seeing.  It helps that their feet are only a couple inches apart since that makes getting several hundred volt swing between them really difficult.    

It's a lot easier to get that on the ground between your feet if you're walking, 3 feet apart with a nearby lightning strike can easily put thousands of volts at high current up one leg and down the other to short out the ground swell.  This is why you put your feet together touching at one point of contact with ground and make yourself as vertically short as possible if lightning is imminent.   animals have it easy, unless they're the highest point on the line when lightning strikes, then their liquids vaporize and explode same way trees do.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacran:
Originally Posted By TEXASROOTERSBROTHER:
Hmm. This could have a significant effect on the bird and squirrel population.

Someone needs to tell me how this is.

A joke?
Or people will be living off birds and squirrels?

Maybe I’ll finally get pecans off my trees before the squirrels get them.

Increased power over above ground lines.

http://lostinasupermarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/birds-on-a-wire-500x380.jpg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/squirrel-walking-electric-cable-150652963.jpg

It won't be causing that large of gradient (voltage potential surge between feet).   Lightning strikes can create the 100V/in gradients but these are surging in long wavelengths, so squirrels and pigeons are safe from the magnetic surges we're currently seeing.  It helps that their feet are only a couple inches apart since that makes getting several hundred volt swing between them really difficult.    

It's a lot easier to get that on the ground between your feet if you're walking, 3 feet apart with a nearby lightning strike can easily put thousands of volts at high current up one leg and down the other to short out the ground swell.  This is why you put your feet together touching at one point of contact with ground and make yourself as vertically short as possible if lightning is imminent.   animals have it easy, unless they're the highest point on the line when lightning strikes, then their liquids vaporize and explode same way trees do.

Since there were reports of telegraph lines catching fire during the Carrington Event, I figure that would be their biggest immediate danger (and probably ours as well) rather that the potential of being electrocuted if something like that were to happen again.

I’m half joking, half serious, but if I’m ever right, I probably wouldn’t even be able to get online to say, “I told you so.”

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By nsw8148:

I love this place
View Quote
Man my degree is in economics. I didn't learn anything useful. That's why I rely on GD scholars.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Extreme Geomagnetic Storm To Impact Earth TONIGHT...

Looks like it will be cloudy and maybe some rain tonight.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#21]

Since there were reports of telegraph lines catching fire during the Carrington Event, I figure that would be their biggest immediate danger (and probably ours as well) rather that the potential of being electrocuted if something like that were to happen again.

I’m half joking, half serious, but if I’m ever right, I probably wouldn’t even be able to get online to say, “I told you so.”

View Quote

It's the length of the wire and the rate of change of the magnetic field that determines how much voltage is induced, so long transmission/signal lines are the ones that cause problems.
My ham radio antenna is ~135' long. It's connected to my transceiver and I am currently working stations with it, far from the usual number, but I am making a few contacts. Any risk is all but negligible. Because the CMEs are playing games with the Ionosphere, the signals are weak and fluttery, so copy is difficult.

Many of the fires caused by the Carrington Event were because of the high induced voltages causing arcing and setting things in the telegraph offices on fire.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Back into G4 conditions. Hopefully it holds through tonight
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
i just held up my multimeter terminals into thin air and registered 120V's
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:

We should shoot nukular bombs at it to show it who's boss.
View Quote

Already been done.  There’s a documentary called “Sunshine” you should check out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#25]

@Alacran

That is correct as well.   It's the voltage gradient/change between two points that determines the current going through.   Long power lines and telegraph cables could get thousands of amps of current between endpoints, causing the conductor to melt and catch the insulation on fire.   That's the difference where animals are lucky, that big of voltage potential between their feet an inch or few apart doesn't force the required currents through, while poles a quarter mile apart do get the potential for a crapload of current to flow.  Though if the line catches on fire, the animals could die, but from fire damage rather than electrocution.

Similar effect from an EMP which then burns out transmission line power transformers  across the affected area (without surge spark gaps and magnetic and electric field shielding to EMP-proof them), and we don't even have enough spare transformers nationwide to fix slight tornado damage.  That's where EMP would screw us all, put us back to the 1800s in a blink once batteries ran dead.   Consumer electronic devices generally still need to be connected to the line for EMP to burn them out, most aren't physically large enough to have the current induced, unless it's a coil acting as an "antenna" for the magnetic flux of the EMP to burn out the item.  Most of the coils, from ignition coils in cars to transformers , do not have enough inventory to replace blown parts and get going again, it's decades lead time for the replacement of what would be destroyed, and if it turned out to be a global event, we'd be starting from scratch and have a century of darkness and war to redefine control areas before any rebuilding was done.    

CME can be far worse than an EMP but an EMP targeting only a certain area can be much more disruptive to order in general.  Either would require the replacement of giga-gigamiles of wire/cable for transformers, coils, and new power lines.

View Quote

Originally Posted By Frank_B:

It's the length of the wire and the rate of change of the magnetic field that determines how much voltage is induced, so long transmission/signal lines are the ones that cause problems.
My ham radio antenna is ~135' long. It's connected to my transceiver and I am currently working stations with it, far from the usual number, but I am making a few contacts. Any risk is all but negligible. Because the CMEs are playing games with the Ionosphere, the signals are weak and fluttery, so copy is difficult.

Many of the fires caused by the Carrington Event were because of the high induced voltages causing arcing and setting things in the telegraph offices on fire.
View Quote

Since our wired networks are much more intricate than the simple ones of 1859, I would imagine that fires could literally be everywhere - nearby trees, wooden utility poles, houses & buildings where lines are fed into, etc..  Couple all of that with possibly knocking out water pumps and vehicles, I would suspect any firefighting capabilities would be severely limited at best.  

This really sounds like another Carrington Event could be hell on earth in the areas affected.  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tct1000:
i just held up my multimeter terminals into thin air and registered 120V's
View Quote

The normal voltage gradient in air is about 100V per meter (e.g. if you put one probe 1 meter away
from the other, vertically, there's 100V between them.) Of course there's very high impedance between
the probes and the current is nil, but the gradient is there all the time. It's the basis for a number of
intrusion sensors since people and animals distort the electric field around them, which is detectable
with sensitive enough equipment.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#28]
So is this like what happens when the sun gets a tummy ache?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
View Quote

Nah. This is when it nuts.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
View Quote

Yup.. sun farts are pretty in the nights sky.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Mach:

sunscreen stops UV light, it doesn't stop xrays or gamma radiation.

Just enjoy your extra doses of cosmic radiation.
View Quote

Zoomies.  Just what we need.  More Zoomies from space.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Since our wired networks are much more intricate than the simple ones of 1859, I would imagine that fires could literally be everywhere - nearby trees, wooden utility poles, houses & buildings where lines are fed into, etc..  Couple all of that with possibly knocking out water pumps and vehicles, I would suspect any firefighting capabilities would be severely limited at best.  

This really sounds like another Carrington Event could be hell on earth in the areas affected.  Thoughts?

View Quote

Yes, but during the Carrington event, the telegraph wires that caught on fire were hundreds of miles long with no breaks. Much of our grid can be disconnected remotely. By 2030-2035 the entire grid can be disconnected if needed in case if a major cme.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I couldn't see much last night, even though many others in my area put up impressive photos.

I'm going to drive farther out tonight and see if I can't find somewhere with less city glow. Any idea what time (central) things should be popping off?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
I couldn't see much last night, even though many others in my area put up impressive photos.

I'm going to drive farther out tonight and see if I can't find somewhere with less city glow. Any idea what time (central) things should be popping off?
View Quote

Near the SD/MN border, the show really started about 10:30 cdt

@Kanati
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Klee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asy9oAmO-gg

Looks like it will be cloudy and maybe some rain tonight.
View Quote
Thanks for the link.

He seems more optimistic than NOAA.
They are saying G5 too, but less than 50% of the US will have any chance of seeing the NL again tonight.
Max Velocity forecast

Attachment Attached File

NOAA

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Hking:

Yo imagine being alive 2000 years ago you were just chillin out and then the whole fucking sky just starts glowing red with no context of what was going on.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hking:
Picture from Chile
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0780_jpeg-3210924.JPG

Yo imagine being alive 2000 years ago you were just chillin out and then the whole fucking sky just starts glowing red with no context of what was going on.

Mass killings, just the first time they saw a total solar eclipse.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

We also have more and better safety cutouts than back then.

Short answer is we don't know until it happens
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

We also have more and better safety cutouts than back then.

Short answer is we don't know until it happens

I just hope we don’t have to find out the hard way and this all turns out to be nothingburger.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

Yes, but during the Carrington event, the telegraph wires that caught on fire were hundreds of miles long with no breaks. Much of our grid can be disconnected remotely. By 2030-2035 the entire grid can be disconnected if needed in case if a major cme.
View All Quotes

It still seems some extremely major damage could happen in the immediate affected areas.  It also sounds like considering all of the threats we face, 2030-2035 may be too late.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#39]

It still seems some extremely major damage could happen in the immediate affected areas.  It also sounds like considering all of the threats we face, 2030-2035 may be too late.
View Quote

It could but having talked to some local grid guys here in Ohio they have contingency plans to physically disconnect the grid if they had to it can absolutely be done they just need some level of notice. They just launched a recent satellite that gives NASA about 8 hours worth of notice before we have a Carrington event. If they are on the ball it's enough to prevent extreme damage if they hustle. Many of them are working on contingency plans for such events. Unlike what a lot of us have been led to believe that they are clueless
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

The human eye doesn't see the entire light spectrum. Cameras can see more of it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

View Quote

Technically some microprocessors have like a 100km of circuits...
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#43]

It could but having talked to some local grid guys here in Ohio they have contingency plans to physically disconnect the grid if they had to it can absolutely be done they just need some level of notice. They just launched a recent satellite that gives NASA about 8 hours worth of notice before we have a Carrington event. If they are on the ball it's enough to prevent extreme damage if they hustle. Many of them are working on contingency plans for such events. Unlike what a lot of us have been led to believe that they are clueless
View All Quotes

Isn’t that effectively cutting the electricity to customers until the threat passes and how long could that be?

Knowing the basic immaturity level and preparedness of the general public, that could bring it’s own set of problems.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Isn’t that effectively cutting the electricity to customers until the threat passes and how long could that be?

Knowing the basic immaturity level and preparedness of the general public, that could bring it’s own set of problems.

View Quote

People would generally be fine for a day or 2.  If they can save the major hard to replace parts and get the grid back up in days weeks or months instead of years thats a win.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

You assume NASA will tell you....queue "Bold strategy Cotton"
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

People would generally be fine for a day or 2.  If they can save the major hard to replace parts and get the grid back up in days weeks or months instead of years thats a win.
View All Quotes

I agree of the necessity of action but PSA’s should have prepared the public for that possibility, so when it happens, there’s less chance of chaos.

Of course anymore, I have next to zero confidence in the general public doing what they should and the government doing what they should.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Has anyone with StarLink internet have any connection issues today?  

My sister has StarLink and says she hasn't been able to use the internet at all today.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Fourman:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fourman:

Yep, I suspect that may be the strategy.  

I do remember the chaos even when we all were given several days notice before the lockdowns began.  I couldn’t imagine the level of chaos with just a few hours notification to prepare.

In this situation, it seems damned if you do, damned if you don’t, though.  I still think PSA’s would help, but that time may have passed with the current solar storms.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:
Has anyone with StarLink internet have any connection issues today?  

My sister has StarLink and says she hasn't been able to use the internet at all today.
View Quote

Ours was spotty last night/early morning but seems to be working still.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Technically some microprocessors have like a 100km of circuits...
View Quote
But not in a straight line. Has to be that straight line to couple with the wave.

Nick
Page / 14
Top Top