BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
It wouldn't be as big of a deal if money was flowing more to the working class, but it's largely not. If wages aren't keeping up with inflation, the two options are to either pay people more, or import cheaper shit/labor. Corporations have relied on the latter to the maximal extent that they can, and we're starting to see the limits of that. The cheap foreign shit's getting expensive, and some things, like homes, really can't be imported.

The problem is fixable, but it will get a lot worse before it gets better.
View Quote

Shit is getting more expensive because demand hasn’t abated enough.  Food and fuel aside there’s a lot that can be cut back.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I only have one bojangle. I was born with it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By zer0t:

Shit is getting more expensive because demand hasn't abated enough.  Food and fuel aside there's a lot that can be cut back.
View Quote
Well that may be part of it, but honestly I think we're running out of markets to exploit too. There's still a minimum price foreigners are willing to accept, take China for example. That's crept up overtime as their living standards have increased. I've heard Vietnam's in a similar situation with the youth choosing city jobs over factory labor more often. There are still many dirt poor countries, but eventually you start running into Technological and IQ barriers that make it infeasible. India's the flavor of the month country to buy shit from, and I go out of my way to avoid their goods, because they're garbage.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TheAffiliate:
The dude is a self-made NY stock trader-maybe 43 YO. Shares he knows Trump Jr. and was texting him the other day. Moved to an overall conservative neighborhood mid-class ($350-1mil homes)-we are neighbors. Overall a good guy. Bought 3 Bonjagles with a partner. I think this dude has cash.

We got to talking about how his wife is upset because he didn't want to put on a home addition and his wife is mad. Anyway, here I am, thinking what a fucked up economy we are in, we starting to talk about the cost of everything, how he believes the world is going through a reverse globalization, and I mention that the economy has strained our family. We make $200k a year as a family.

He tells me that the economy is FINE and the prices are what they should be at. WTF.

Help me to understand what he is talking about?
View Quote

He hasn’t felt it yet or has drank the Flavor Aid.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The simple truth there is that the richer you are the less a bad economy matters to you. Period. Because you’re so isolated from the worry of money, everything seems normal and you think why worry everything is fine. This is the tectonic disconnect of the rich from the poor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I don't understand
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the things that get made into threads.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Inflation is transient because people earn current dollars and higher prices are self-correcting.  There is volatility always and huge stimulus dumps, when combined with lower boring costs due to investor fears (=buying bond vs equity), and supply disruptions can exacerbate the volatility.  But look at oil and how it went to -$40/bbl in April 2020 and the. to $12x/bbl in the immediate wake of Russia’s Ukraine invasion.  It’s been comfortably trading under $85 where it was before it ripped in Spring 2008.

Truth be told, the cash hoarders lose because the system architecture has to tax them for not recirculating (consuming) the social substrate.  You wouldn’t want fuel pooling in your intake manifold or you car vapor locking and this is the same phenomenon in a more critical area.

The alternative is a demurrage currency and dynamic taxes, so who wants to sign up for that?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]

He tells me that the economy is FINE and the prices are what they should be at. WTF.

View Quote

Either he has been making bank recently (no matter the world somone is raking it in), or he has no idea how much things cost pre-covid.

I have a good memory for prices, I remember how much things once cost and how expensive they now are. I have friends who don't. They are not stupid, but they retain prices with the same ability I have in remembering birthdays.

And my experience is the average "conservative from New York" would be a liberal in half the country. Maybe not him, but most of the ones who have moved to Colorado are.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend that said that as long as the market goes up the economy is fine.  He’s rich so he doesn’t feel the squeeze.  I stopped arguing with him.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:
Some people believe the market sets prices.
Thus, the market is never wrong.
View Quote

that is true*
*when the government doesn't exert influence in a 100,00 ways that make the market almost meaningless
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TheDogSaysBark:
Just because he gives you an answer you don’t like doesn’t mean he’s not conservative. What he’s trying to tell you is that when trump printed 8 trillion dollars, shut down the supply chains, sent direct to you irs bank deposits while drastically increasing demand, and Biden expanded all the trump policies, inflation happens. Due to said inflation, prices are where they should be.
View Quote

WRONG. That was the Democrat-controlled congress who did that. Trump simply didn't have the ability or authority to do that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
He says the economy is fine because he's making money and doing good. When it's his ox that gets gored he might think different.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
He's just not going to sit there and bitch that it's the end of the world. That's why he's there and you're where you are.

We're not doing that bad. Over the last year my stocks have done fine. Sure, everything costs more. I got a raise to (mostly) go with it. We're not laying people off. We're not slowing down purchases at work.

I did decide to wait a couple months, hoping it goes to shit so I can get a deal on a new Denali though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

From what I've seen the economy was just reset to the way thing were 24 years ago.  Back then I had a decent paying IT job just out college, around $60,000 back then.  Interest rates were 6.5% and considered a decent rate from where they had been.  A first house was 3x the salary so $150,000 to $200,000.  Now the same job is $80k- $100k making an entry level house price at $250k to $300k.  Interest rates are the same as they were.  

Salaries and prices have basically doubled in those 24 years ago.  We were living in the salad days of higher salaries with lower prices and didn't realize it.  Now prices have caught back to "where they should be".  

That is my take on it...and it sucks.  I was living well in 2019 and now it feels like I just got out of college again.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
The dude is a self-made NY stock trader-maybe 43 YO. Shares he knows Trump Jr. and was texting him the other day. Moved to an overall conservative neighborhood mid-class ($350-1mil homes)-we are neighbors. Overall a good guy. Bought 3 Bonjagles with a partner. I think this dude has cash.

We got to talking about how his wife is upset because he didn't want to put on a home addition and his wife is mad. Anyway, here I am, thinking what a fucked up economy we are in, we starting to talk about the cost of everything, how he believes the world is going through a reverse globalization, and I mention that the economy has strained our family. We make $200k a year as a family.

View Quote
this is a problem with a lot of wealthy. At some point youre making enough to insulate you from bad fiscal policy therefor everything is "fine".
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:25:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ServusVeritatis] [#17]
He may be saying that at least the U.S. economy is king of the trash heap.

All economies are sucking and all are going through shit.

When you’re still on top it’s painful but you aren’t crashing VS the world…..yet.

I know everyone’s situation is different…..but i make drastically more than I would had I stayed in LE. I make more than the Chief at my last LE agency in N Atlanta.

ETA: Everyone says discretionary spending is down but our entire industry is up the last 5 years and climbing 🤷.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grendelbane] [#18]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

that is true*
*when the government doesn't exert influence in a 100,00 ways that make the market almost meaningless
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:
Some people believe the market sets prices.
Thus, the market is never wrong.

that is true*

Let us, for the sake of argument, say there are 100,000 ways that the government exerts influence on the market.  (I don't believe there are quite that many or that the government is the only player exerting influence on the market)  The market is still never wrong.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Granted my info is dated but the brokers that I knew back in the 1980's made money that was almost incomprehensible….I remember this one guy we used to go out with casually mentioned that he made something like 3M that day….$3,000,000.00 in a day….in 1986ish. I want to say my then wife, who also worked on the exchange,  told me that dude averaged about $50M per year….

So yes when you're making a shit ton of money the economy is fine
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#20]
He's got money but is a dumbass. If he had listened to the CEO of Starbucks the other day, he'd know discretionary spending is falling. Lots of places cutting hours because they can't find people. He's a dumbass living in a cocoon.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Great economy for the "investor class" terrible for the working class.

Wages were lagging behind inflation for the past decade or more  Bidenomics has a done this by pouring gas on the fire.  A family income of $200K a decade ago was well off most places.  Now days, solidly middle class and rethinking their lifestyle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Usernames:
Me as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Usernames:
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I don't understand
Me as well.
Add me too.

I don't know what any of the OP has to do with being a "conservative". ???
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
High income earners spend far, far less (as a percent of gross income) on basic necessities than do the poor or middle class therefore even in times of prolonged high inflation they really don't notice it. For example, if basic necessities are 25-35% of your net income and said necessities increase by 50%, 75%, or 100% you are hurting, but if you are a high income earner and said necessities are only 5% of your net income and they increase by those same amounts you will probably not notice it much.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Textbook normalcy bias.  He won't see it until it hits him personally, and hits him hard.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By dcat:

Textbook normalcy bias.  He won't see it until it hits him personally, and hits him hard.
View Quote

Well….he might see it but it might hit him all that hard.  

Sure there are a lot of very greedy people that make good money but don't prepare for the eventuality of the economy going tits up….and there are some people that make good money and also diversify. Plenty of people make money as the economy crumbles.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CZRider:
Sounds like he's comfortable enough to be insulated from all the real actual suffering all this economic fuckery is causing, so he can continue to live in theory world with Janet and Jerome and the other masters of the financial universe and never actually have to look the consequences in the face.

...and in case the bootstrap brigade charges through or anything, I'm fine, thanks for asking. I consider myself very fortunate to be in a relatively stable place, I'm working increasingly hard to stay that way, and I still curse the existence of all the feckless assholes in DC who drove us into this clown show of an economy every time whenever I stop for gas or groceries.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#27]
If it's not affecting him personally then the world probably does seem ok to him
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top