Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

MRE / HDR thread (Page 3 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
All of my vehicles have a HDR or two stashed in the spare tire.  They're mostly tasteless mush of lentils, but better than nothing in a blizzard.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
20 mre main course only packs 38.00. Here
No box, and depending on the run, no meal description. MRE roulette on the cheap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
The Spanish one look good along with some of the the other European ones.
I can't eat L48 porky pigs.
Taste like turpentine.
View Quote

I have only had 1 of the Spanish rations. Meal A2 Galician Stew. The stew was good. Couldn't bring myself to try the squid in its own ink.

The German EPAs have been ok, not great, not aweful. I have only tried ones with freeze dried mains and Mountain House is better. Germans should switch to using the Norwegian Real Turmat meals for freeze dried.

Tried a couple of British ORPs. The drinks and snacks are great. Not impressed by the mains but maybe British food is normally bland, mushy, and brown.

I have 13 of the Dutch 24 hour Artic and Extended Energy rations to dig into. I've had 3 menus so far and it's been good stuff. At 6,400 calories there is a ton of snacks and drinks. Vanilla pound cake with hazelnut spread is a winner.

Unfortunate that getting the European rations in the U.S. is difficult and expensive.
Somewhat amusing to find U.S. packaged food from Sterling and Bridgeford in them.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Terriblis:

I have only had 1 of the Spanish rations. Meal A2 Galician Stew. The stew was good. Couldn't bring myself to try the squid in its own ink.

The German EPAs have been ok, not great, not aweful. I have only tried ones with freeze dried mains and Mountain House is better. Germans should switch to using the Norwegian Real Turmat meals for freeze dried.

Tried a couple of British ORPs. The drinks and snacks are great. Not impressed by the mains but maybe British food is normally bland, mushy, and brown.

I have 13 of the Dutch 24 hour Artic and Extended Energy rations to dig into. I've had 3 menus so far and it's been good stuff. At 6,400 calories there is a ton of snacks and drinks. Vanilla pound cake with hazelnut spread is a winner.

Unfortunate that getting the European rations in the U.S. is difficult and expensive.
Somewhat amusing to find U.S. packaged food from Sterling and Bridgeford in them.

View Quote
Been watching some of the European outdoors men and the mre's and other gear they can get is crazy.

There is a Norwegian tent I would love but cannot get it here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mac130:
Those things kept me alive for a year in Iraq.

I was embedded as an advisor with an Iraqi Army unit. They made me eat what they did, which was horrible and unrecognizable, except for the bread.

However, we had several pallets of humanitarian rations to give out, and they became my go to meal.
View Quote

Dang.
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a bunch that I crack into occasionally.  What the hell is with the crackers? Look at them wrong and they shatter into a million pieces...none along the dotted parting lines. Asshole crackers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought 3 cases. That's a month of food for a person for $105.

These are for if my supply of stored food runs out. I figure they're a last resort, or will get plussed up with freeze dried or canned meat.

Worst case, they'll be what I throw at people coming to the gate of the SHTF. They'll be for the guys that I don't hate enough to shoot on sight and for the chicks that aren't hot enough for my post-apocalyptic harem.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Stupid place costing my money. In for 3.figure I'll sample some of one, kick the other into the basement. Too cheap to not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:
I have a bunch that I crack into occasionally.  What the hell is with the crackers? Look at them wrong and they shatter into a million pieces...none along the dotted parting lines. Asshole crackers.
https://i.postimg.cc/HkzcR3QM/20240412-094342.jpg
View Quote

It's a design choice by the food engineers at Natick. Big green decided that the extra morale dampener provided by crumbled crackers was good for creating extra aggression in front line troops.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lokifox:

It's a design choice by the food engineers at Natick. Big green decided that the extra morale dampener provided by crumbled crackers was good for creating extra aggression in front line troops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lokifox:
Originally Posted By 1969GTX:
https://i.postimg.cc/HkzcR3QM/20240412-094342.jpg

this is what they took from us

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kidnap_44:

Mine shipped today.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1975:
I was a coward and decided I couldn’t eat one today.

Will have to shoot for tomorrow.

Mine shipped today.

You might die before I do!

My problem is that if I don’t eat something with my morning coffee I’ll feel sick before lunch, so breakfast is a must. But these are a heavy 2200 calorie high carb meal and the thought of bombing my stomach with so many carbs so early makes me want to puke. Of course, nothing says I have to eat the whole thing,
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Not great, not terrible.  The dozen we tried were not bad at all in my opinion.

Short term solution is still a solution. I plan on using some to hand out in an emergency situation.

No matter what $35 is cheap insurance. These are just a layer in being prepared for an emergency.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#13]

My problem is that if I don’t eat something with my morning coffee I’ll feel sick before lunch, so breakfast is a must. But these are a heavy 2200 calorie high carb meal and the thought of bombing my stomach with so many carbs so early makes me want to puke. Of course, nothing says I have to eat the whole thing,
View All Quotes

Mine shipped today.

I think you're misunderstanding what a 24 hour ration is. It is supposed to equate to 3 meals. Not intended to eat in one sitting.

Majority is complex carbs not just starch and sugar, although there is more of that than a couch potato should have. For someone active, nothing wrong with pap tat and pbj sammich for breakfast.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Amazon has the same rations for a few bucks cheaper per case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y8SBLD8?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Ordered a couple, what the hell.  Beats starving to death.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought some of those once back when uncle Sam's retail outlet still existed.

Truly awful.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PDP_Main:

A few months ago, a scumbag in Gaza was reviewing the MRE the US had given him.  He wasn't impressed.  I don't remember if it was one of these or another.  But we were dropping MREs in Gaza.

Looks like a regular MRE:

Gaza MRE
View Quote

Keep in mind, these HDR's have confirmed kills there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered 5 to go in the basement. Can't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By carcrazysammy:
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered 5 to go in the basement. Can't hurt.
View Quote

I dunno, man.

The Tender Tummy Brigade says they can upset your belly. You dont want to be out and about with your plate carrier, 12 mags, AR, NODS and woobie and get an upset tummy from the yucky HDR.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NOTaBot:

View Quote

Good deal
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I couldn't stand them. I'd almost rather starve.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:55:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#22]
Going through Ranger school I learned you'll eat pretty much anything and love it. I found a mostly eaten water melon on the beach in Florida phase. Myself and a Ranger buddy ate everything that was edible. Rubbed off dirt and bugs and loved it. Remember in mountain phase they gave us a live rabbit for 4 of us share. We killed it by holding by rear paws and chopping the back of neck with our hand. Skinned it and cooked it in an ammo can with rubber seal removed and lid closed. Kinda like a pressure cooker. Drained the rabbit blood into water in pot because blood has salt in it. Think they gave us a few vegetables also, can't remember.

But in an emergency and you've not eaten for a 2 or 3 days you will eat those rations and think it was 5 star food. Thirst is another post.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

I think you're misunderstanding what a 24 hour ration is. It is supposed to equate to 3 meals. Not intended to eat in one sitting.

Majority is complex carbs not just starch and sugar, although there is more of that than a couch potato should have. For someone active, nothing wrong with pap tat and pbj sammich for breakfast.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Mine shipped today.

I’m not. I knew it was a full daily ration. 60% carbs though. I run several miles a day and try to be careful what I scarf down. I just have to bite the bullet and eat one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NOTaBot:

View Quote

Be careful with the dates though. Newer inspection date for a few bucks more is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By aod886:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aod886:
Originally Posted By PDP_Main:

A few months ago, a scumbag in Gaza was reviewing the MRE the US had given him.  He wasn't impressed.  I don't remember if it was one of these or another.  But we were dropping MREs in Gaza.

Looks like a regular MRE:

Gaza MRE

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Undaunted] [#26]
I'm not excited about vegetarian, but $3.50 per isn't terrible.

Eta: I bought a bunch of mres in the 2005-2010 years and never eat them. My preferred stores are lonnng term.

When are you guys pulling these out and convincing yourselves you want to eat them?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Be careful with the dates though. Newer inspection date for a few bucks more is worth it.
View Quote

Says 2023 or better. Shrug.

I'll be storing the 10 I just ordered in a cool (50's-60's constantly) dark basement room. Should last about forever down there.

Good to have. Who cares what it tastes like, 4 days without anything to eat and you'd munch down on bear shit if you saw berries in it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:50:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#28]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

Eta: I bought a bunch of mres in the 2005-2010 years and never eat them. My preferred stores are lonnng term.

When are you guys pulling these out and convincing yourselves you want to eat them?
View Quote

Store what you eat and eat what you store.

It's lunch every so often. Handy range or work lunch.

It is a convenience food when compared to qtys of long term storage food....that we still rotate through. Wheat berries, beans, rice, oats, barley, grits, hominy, etc.

The pantry food is canned and dried goods that rotate. I dont have a pallet of mre or mountain house. But a few boxes have their place for convenience.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#29]

My problem is that if I don't eat something with my morning coffee I'll feel sick before lunch, so breakfast is a must. But these are a heavy 2200 calorie high carb meal and the thought of bombing my stomach with so many carbs so early makes me want to puke. Of course, nothing says I have to eat the whole thing,
View Quote
Each packet is basically divided into 2 meals with enough calories for the entire day. Do one with the pop tart for breakfast
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#30]
Originally Posted By amos-moses:
They're cheap because they taste like ass.  I heard a saying about them once..

"We give these out to third world shitholes? No wonder they want to kill us!"

The two cases I got for free will be the last thing eaten in any SHTF situation because after those 24 life won't be worth living after that.
View Quote

The only reason I got 3 cases a couple years ago was that they’re cheap, and I wanted to have something to hand out, if I ever felt the need to

For personal use, I have the usual rice, beans, Mountain House and XMREs.

As far as MREs go, the XMREs are decent. They go on sale on occasion, and depending on the type, come with the heater packs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I approve delivery by pallet.  Parachute performance TBD by load master.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought 6 more cases of the Amazon offerings to go with my bucket O' machete.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Ordered a couple boxes. One to sample on arrival and calibrate what level desperate these are appropriate for.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#34]
Originally Posted By Equestrian:
Stupid place costing my money. In for 3.figure I'll sample some of one, kick the other into the basement. Too cheap to not.
View Quote

In for four more even though I haven’t tried one yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#35]
watch out for the MORE to come back in stock, those are solid to keep around for snacks and come 24 to a case

i keep one in my work truck all the time.  just today i was out later than i expected so i had trail mix and a lemon/lime drink mix out of one
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

I always strip a few for backpacking/canoe trips.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I enjoyed the Vegetable Barely Stew while getting over the flu. Just mix it with water and microwave and its like spaghettios but better. Each one has a pop tart in there as well. Not a fan of the cookies, so I throw those in the car for emergencies or toss them to a possum/raccoon
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#39]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4265_jpeg-3203800.JPG
View Quote

Now you got to eat 2.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:

I enjoyed the Vegetable Barely Stew while getting over the flu. Just mix it with water and microwave and its like spaghettios but better. Each one has a pop tart in there as well. Not a fan of the cookies, so I throw those in the car for emergencies or toss them to a possum/raccoon
View All Quotes

That’s a funny friggin typo
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

It is probably the tastiest of the entrees and is probably the best one at room temp.

The rice and veg is fudging terrible if you don't warm it up and add a little water.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
I just bought 3 cases. That's a month of food for a person for $105.

These are for if my supply of stored food runs out. I figure they're a last resort, or will get plussed up with freeze dried or canned meat.

Worst case, they'll be what I throw at people coming to the gate of the SHTF. They'll be for the guys that I don't hate enough to shoot on sight and for the chicks that aren't hot enough for my post-apocalyptic harem.
View Quote
this guy fucks.

this guy is doing all the fucking.

@CastleBravo91
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Now you got to eat 2.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4265_jpeg-3203800.JPG

Now you got to eat 2.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#44]
Those are not for Western digestion; when we eat those MREs our guts pack up like Sakcrete in a shared apartment laundry washing machine.
They are designed for 3rd worlders with dysentery to offset the constipation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I've eaten a few of those.  They're good quality but very bland, heavy on carbs, and none of them have any animal protein.  They're designed to be kind of a least common denominator for people from various cultures, and a lot less expensive to produce than real military MREs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Some chilie crisp and some cans of spam or corned beef would do wonders for these vegan meals.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

because they're complete with sides and drinks

they are back in stock, i just noticed.  epidemic raised the price $50 though, so ebay is cheaper on them

our halal MREs are fucking delicious as well, go figure
View Quote

Have a link or seller name for the eBay ones?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Nice, just like the dark brown mres, one bag, one day.  
Wish the tan bags weren't three times a day for calories.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
View Quote

They did silly shit like shrink the peanut butter and cheese packets a few years ago. You can barely make a proper PB&J with the amount they give you now.

Don’t even get me started on tortillas. The shittiest starch item ever put in a MRE.

Earlier post talking about how the Halal MREs are better than the standard US menu isn’t wrong.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
View Quote

can't find my alaska guy but this place has a ton

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=ozarkoutdoorz&store_name=ozarkoutdoorz&_oac=1&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l170197
Page / 9
MRE / HDR thread (Page 3 of 9)
Top Top