Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Mongoose.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By byron2112:
I didn't have a primo name bike, I had a Schwinn that was my first real bike that got endlessly upgraded with parts.

What did they call the composite mags everyone had... tough wheels or something like that?
View Quote

I think they spelled it "Tuff".
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Diamond Back Turbo.  Bear traps.  

I bent the crap out of the rims from jumping....used that thing like a rented mule.

I thank God almighty for the life I lived as a kid.  The scarred shins, the busted lips, the bruised ribs, the raspberry burns, the callouses on the inside of the thumbs (if they weren't bleeding)....

I hurt myself less racing motocross....lolz.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CMB69:
It wasn't just BMX. Many bikes, especially Schwinn, could be customized as far as one wanted to go. All kinds of Schwinn and aftermarket parts were available. I ended up with something much different than it started out.

Always wondered about something. How strong were the Z-Mag plastic wheels?
View Quote

Tough as nails IIRC.  I went with the Zrims.  They were zytel outer rims with regular spokes.  Lighter and stronger than metal rims and they would never get permanently bent.  We were HARD on those bikes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Redline or gtfo
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gmeapush77:
I had a Diamondback Silver Streak that got stolen.  I then had a GT. I loved the DB, far superior to the GT I had.
View Quote

Gt were based but heavier than the others
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Another Diamondback Silver Streak kid here!  I loved that bike.  I put a gazillion miles on that bike with my friends, we rode all over the place every freakin' day.  Went through many rear tires too, loved skidding and had a good number of jumps and wipe outs.

A great bike during a great time to be a kid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I got into the BMX bikes in the late 70’s.  I don’t remember all the parts but the frame was from CYC and the forks

were Redline.  It had the mag wheels and I think the handle bars and goose neck were mongoose.  It was stolen from

my front yard around 1980.

I had cut grass and baby sat to get the money for the bike.  My mom filed the theft on our insurance and gave me the money.

I took the money and bought a Beretta 70s in 22 caliber.

I had a lot of good times with my buddies on that bike.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Nickel Plated Mongoose with blue accents.   Got stolen
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Mongoose with Oakley 3s
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
My parents were of very modest means, yet they bought me a very expensive bike for my birthday. A PK Ripper, almost identical to this one except I had a red seat and camo pads. Some of the best times of my life were spent on or near that bike.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Mongoose shit on Roger D Coster frames were pretty ubiquitous in my neck of the woods 80-84 or so.  I had a friend that got a Diamondback in about 1984, it was really nice but really heavy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
I have seen the z-mag wheels survive huge jumps and hits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
I have seen the z-mag wheels survive huge jumps and hits.

Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Tough as nails IIRC.  I went with the Zrims.  They were zytel outer rims with regular spokes.  Lighter and stronger than metal rims and they would never get permanently bent.  We were HARD on those bikes.

Thanks. Great info!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Cooks brothers - was awesome
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:
I would've killed for something like that as a kid. I had a thrift store girls huffy, was the best my parents could afford at the time.

Rode the absolute shit out of it anyway, what else was I going to do?
View Quote

This. I wanted one so bad. . . All of my friends had one.

I remember Mongoose, JMC, Redline, Cook Bros, etc.  I really wanted a Kuwahara.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ExtraHardTaco:
Originally Posted By byron2112:
I didn't have a primo name bike, I had a Schwinn that was my first real bike that got endlessly upgraded with parts.

What did they call the composite mags everyone had... tough wheels or something like that?

Agree, I think spellcheck did me in
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#18]
Redline RL-20A like this one

with some extra parts on it

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I worked all Summer and saved up enough to buy a Puch Magnum off of a neighbor kid. That thing was awesome and I put about a million miles on it. Traded it for an electric guitar and amplifier and wished I hadn't. The friend that I traded it to had it stolen off of his front porch. Two weeks later, I rounded the corner of the apartment building we lived at and it was sitting there... unlocked. I grabbed it and ran into the house and called the police and my buddy that I traded it to. As we were talking to the police the guy that stole it came out looking for it. Bad day for him.

Supposedly, there where only two of those models in all of New York. That made it easy to recognize. Chrome with black rims. Man, I wish I had it now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaerMorhenResident] [#20]
Did BMX racing from about 8 to 10 years of age and was #1 in the State for my last year or so of racing. My Dad managed one of the biggest BMX tracks in the State.  At its peak the BMX race weekends were HUGE.  I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of people showing up with RVs and trailers setting up all around the track.  The parents would get drunk and watch their kids race.  

I was on a local team with other guys in the various age categories and we all had Sponsors and really tricked out BMX bikes.  My bike frame was titanium and that was a big deal back then for its light weight.  I almost got on the National team for our Sponsor, the team came out to meet me and talk to my parents about me touring the country with them, but the "Adult" who ran the team was in his 20's and my Father wasn't impressed with his maturity enough to let me go around the country racing with them.

About the late 80's the sport of BMX started to lose steam and by the early 90's it was to the point where even though I was traveling all over the place I was always racing the same kids over and over with the same exact results to the point where it got a bit boring. So, I eventually just moved on to other things.

Fun times for my family though.  Probably the most fun we ever had as a family and a period of time when my parents really got along well.  After BMX we didn't have that anymore and my parents would go through some tough time with adultry and eventually divorce. So, for me those BMX days were peak childhood and pure 1980's.  Vans shoes and ducktail haircuts will always have a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By smarcus:
My last BMX bike was a Candy Apple Blue Hutch TrickStar.  While I was away at college my mom gave it away to a friend of my younger brothers who lived in section 8 housing.  Never saw it again.
View Quote

The Trickstars had the best colors.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
84 Mongoose Californian.  One thing I wish I still had from my childhood.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Makes me want to pick up a trials bike

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a red Mongoose Californian. I saved up my paper route money for over a year to buy that bike.

Similar bike to mine

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a badass mongoose that I had get in a few fights over shitbag kids trying to steal it

Mowed many yards for that and my 12yo broke ass was gonna give or take blood for that thing
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Never got one of the cool kids BMX bikes.  Mine was a Sears BMX clone-ish bike.  Rode the crap out of it until some lady hit me and bent the crank.

I went from this in 1975

to this in 1978

Got a mountain bike in 1983 after getting hit by the car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Black Red Line frame, yellow mags, I used to love to race other kids my ass put out so much torque it would fracture the races in crank bearing..

Damn seat post nearly killed me tho, I was delivering newspapers and had 2 bags on and I bounced off the seat and the post snapped and broke at an angle and made a perfect spear point, fortunately I felt it go and snapped the bike out from under me, it I hadn’t I would had been impaled by it and would have bleed out before I could get help, it was then I discovered I wasn’t immortal just lucky…

I had about 300 hundred in the bike and that was a lot in the late 80’s, my dad kept putting it outside the garage and the local thugs swiped it, bastards came all the way down the driveway to the front of the garage which was at the back of the lot.  I found the frame in a kids yard about a month later, justice was delivered shortly thereafter. It taught me not all people have the same values if you follow my meaning, I was no  longer a scared white boy in a black neighborhood..

Those 2 events had serious impact on a 14 year old…
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MidwestJ] [#28]
You BETCHORE ASS I’m in on this thread.  

1986 Predator white/red.  Pegs on the back.

Put a million miles on that bike.  

So many ramps jumped with no helmets or protective gear.  So many crashes and wipe outs.  

Lucky we weren’t all kidnapped and abused or killed as kids.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:42:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#29]
Skyway TA, chrome.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mauritius:
My parents were of very modest means, yet they bought me a very expensive bike for my birthday. A PK Ripper, almost identical to this one except I had a red seat and camo pads. Some of the best times of my life were spent on or near that bike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/132244/IMG_7925_jpeg-3197583.JPG
View Quote

Out of curiosity I just wanted to see what 79-85 PK is worth these days, holy shit! Not cheap.

An unridden 1980 original PK Ripper is up on E-Bay for $15,500.00

Well, ok then.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#31]
1987 Diamond Back Hot Streak. ACS Rotor. Dyno Drain Pipe. Mushroom Grips. Flip down front pegs and rear pegs even though they had some integrated platforms. Can’t remember what pedals I put on it.

My best friend had a hot pink GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model… that thing would be worth north of 10K now but ai borrowed it and it got stolen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:
You BETCHORE ASS I’m in on this thread.  

1986 Predator white/red

Put a million miles on that bike.  

Lucky we weren’t all kidnapped and abused or killed as kids.
View Quote

They would have had to catch me, I could out run a full grown German Shepherd on the bike and if it got to close a side hack to the head was usually a sufficient deterrent..
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#33]
These are pics I found online but after the Huffy's I finally got a 93/94 Dyno Air in Junior High that was stolen.
Attachment Attached File

In 1996 My Stepdad gave me his bad ass 94 GT Interceptor which looked like the bime below.
Attachment Attached File

A few years after I moved out of my parents home I bought myself a 2000 GT Vertigo to commemorate my childhood and GT Bicycles from Santa Ana,  CA! It looked just like the pic below.
Attachment Attached File

I now own a 2018 Kona Honzo AL/DL Mountain Bike.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GuitarsnGuns:
I had a SE Racing PK Ripper with Landing Gear forks. Redline 3 pc cranks and Uniseat. Blue trim
View Quote

Hello fellow PK Ripper..er.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#35]
When I was a kid, I had a orange gt dyno with black mag wheels. I would love to buy one just like it but they are ridiculously priced for something I can’t even ride anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I recently built a Skyway 24", my old one was a chrome 20".  I also have a decent SE Racing 24.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
Man, I always wanted a BMX. I'm 51 and still do. I might do it now since I have a 2 and 5 year old. I still have a few years before they're riding all over the neighborhood.
View Quote

Don't go to the superbikeplanet website, you might end up with a retro Redline or something your neighbors kids want to ride.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Mongoose I built from parts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a GT Pro Performer that I changed out a lot of parts on.  CW bars, DK neck, Skyway mags, etc.

But this is what I really wanted and never got one.  An all white wind styler.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX_Road_Warrior] [#40]
I had this exact bike, with chrome handlebars.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I was more into Cruisers.

Bought a Mongoose Kos when I was 15 and still have it 40 years later.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:
These are pics I found online but after the Huffy's I finally got a 93/94 Dyno Air in Junior High that was stolen.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/Screenshot_20240425_113324_eBay_jpg-3197619.JPG

In 1996 My Stepdad gave me his bad ass 94 GT Interceptor which looked like the bime below.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/Screenshot_20240425_113439_Chrome_jpg-3197613.JPG

A few years after I moved out of my parents home I bought myself a 2000 GT Vertigo to commemorate my childhood and GT Bicycles from Santa Ana,  CA! It looked just like the pic below.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/eeec45ac-01bd-4b7e-ae4b-5cc8e977085d5b12-3197614.JPG

I now own a 2018 Kona Honzo AL/DL Mountain Bike.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/196790/20190517_171722_jpg-3197617.JPG
View Quote

Fuck. I want a big honzo dl soooo bad. I saw kona was blowing them out in December for 50% off (1k instead of 2k) but by the time I noticed they were sold out. Also I haven't gone mountain biking in over 10 years and I have a sneaking suspicion that my body won't take as kindly to it as it used to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtigers] [#44]
Originally Posted By TxLewis:
Mongoose I built from parts.
View Quote

Yep!

1st gen Chromolly Mongoose frame and forks with blue Redline V-bars, blue Oakley grips, blue Tufneck, blue fluted seat post, blue Shimano 3-piece crankset and sprocket sporting blue  rattraps, black Skyway mags with blue Snakebelly gumwalls.  I beat on that bike like a rented mule and it never let me down.  Best bike I ever had--lots of memories.  We all rode back then.

Not my bike, but same frame/forks:
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ak4784:
I still have my GT Dyno Compe from the early/mid 90s.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/IMG_1308_jpeg-3197492.JPG
View Quote

Had one of these. Stolen off GFs porch. Fuck thieves. We should go back to cutting hands off for thievary.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Had a 1987 Gt Pro Freestyle Tour that was given to me by older cousin and also a 1993 GT performer I got for my birthday...still have the performer in good condition all original except grips and wheels

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#47]
87 Haro Freestyler..bone stock

It’s still in my parents garage…saw it a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
When I was a kid, I had a orange gt dyno with black mag wheels. I would love to buy one just like it but they are ridiculously priced for something I can’t even ride anymore.
View Quote

Those were bad ass. I loved the dayglo orange frames  with black wheels.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember my first "BMX" bike. It was my sisters old "Dill Pickle" that my dad had rebuilt for me. He ditched the banana seat, coaster brakes, ape hangers and curved forks. He installed a freewheel and hand brakes, BMX handle bars, forks tires and wheels. He also cut out the lame curved top tube and welded in a new straight one that was more suitable for a boys bike. Then he painted it in a dark bronze color with paint he had left over from painting his friends Jeep. I loved that bike and rode it all over the neighborhood for years until I cracked the frame.

For Christmas in 1985 (6th grade) I got a Redline 500b with the black composite 5 spoke wheels and bear trap type pedals. That was my first real BMX bike. I really loved that thing. Many scars and a couple broken bones came at the hands of it.
A little while after that, I got an "82 Cycle Pro Bonzai that belonged to one of my sisters boyfriends who left it behind when they broke up. I remember it having Mushroom grips and real Sun Tour Bear Traps.
I still have them both, along with the scars that came from riding them, but they are both on a sorry state from being stored outside under a tarp for a few decades.

Redlines were the popular bike in the neighborhood because one of the owners lived in our town and one of his kids (Scott, who turned out to be a real shitbag) went to the same schools and was about a year or two older than I was.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#50]
What was more desirable — mags or spoked wheels?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top