Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I see trains every day. I have never seen more than about 1/3 capacity at the most during peak drive time. Mid day, they are empty. Busses, I don't know. I can't see into those.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Some of that is the last mile problem, and various inefficiencies with rail. But really if it was planned well/right you could have some stop in southern Denver etc to get you onto the rest of the rail system. Same for the northern corridor.

Half the reason that rail sucks ass and is expensive as fuck in the US is that you are often building over existing infrastructure and often not using the best routes etc. That and of course the general massive amounts of corruption that go along with it in the US.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Originally Posted By flynbenny:
I think what we CAN agree on is we don't want to see people forced into a particular system.

While I do advocate for more cost effective public transit (because circulating empty buses is wasteful), or transit people actually want to use, eg rail over bus, I do not support .gov making anyone use it.

I am very sure my community would eventually make bank off high speed rail. As another poster stated, it will also take pressure off the highways. For example from Colorado Springs to Denver, we have 3 practical routes: I-25, US-83, and SH 105/US-85. Adding a fourth way, such as fast and reliable rail, would get more cars off the highway.

Of course the government might cock that up monumentally, but with the eminent domain issues and infrastructure issues I see no other way to make that happen right now.

Some of that is the last mile problem, and various inefficiencies with rail. But really if it was planned well/right you could have some stop in southern Denver etc to get you onto the rest of the rail system. Same for the northern corridor.

Half the reason that rail sucks ass and is expensive as fuck in the US is that you are often building over existing infrastructure and often not using the best routes etc. That and of course the general massive amounts of corruption that go along with it in the US.

The federal government killed what intercity rail might still have been viable by strangling it with crazy regulations and taxes while subsidizing the alternatives. Railroads were forced to keep running trains that were losing money when they should have been cutting those services and upgrading the most popular ones to keep them competitive.  Starting over from scratch is harder than upgrading would have been.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:
Why? Any theories?
View Quote

Immature.

Don't have the skills or the desire to maintain their own cars and transportation.

Accustomed to being taken care of and paying taxes for "services."

Government is viewed as the sky daddy that does all and fixes all.

Fits their ecological religion, specifically their eschatology (beliefs about the end times) and possibly their worship of mother earth.

Etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#4]
leftists and statists love trains.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Hate public transit.

Even greyhound sucks a fat cock, though it isn’t much of a step up. Comfortable ride, nice seats, but holy shit, 18+ hours for what should be a 4.5 hour drive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:19:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jkees] [#6]
While its pretty easy for public transport to go to shit, it would be nice to have some alternatives to driving all the time.

A high speed railway between KC and Saint louis would make alot of people very happy. Sure beats driving in a two lane highway for 3 -1/2 hours.

Basically a cheaper alternative to flying would be nice.

ETA: also I must have missed the part where choosing to use public transport every now and again means that you are not allowed to own a vehicle or go where you please. I fail to see how these are mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:56:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Covid should have killed the desire for public transportation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Leftists seek control. Taking away people's cars and forcing them onto public transportaion limits freedom of movement. It's a form of control.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It makes sense if you're in a big city.  Europe as well where cities are close together.  As to their efficiency and profitability here in the states, you already know the answer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I try to like it, but it sucks. I was in NOLA last weekend, we used the trolley and bus to get to the zoo and back to hotel.  Waiting 30+ minutes for a bus or trolley to show up was insane.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Lot of my european co-workers, who are leftists, always make comments about the US public transportation system, or lack there of, and how europe is so much better because they dont need a car.

Then they come visit the US, and realize just how big and spread out everything is.  And that how expensive, inefficiwnt, and impractocal it would be to build up that infrastructure.  Always fun to watch when they discover that my daily commute is further than the last holiday they took.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:09:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#12]
Originally Posted By Dagoth-Ur:Why-do-people-who-simp-for-public-transportation-always-leftists
Why? Any theories?
View Quote

Because your theory is wrong.
The 2018 Brightline (the same group that is building Vegas to CA) train project in Florida was opposed by some Republicans; but it was also supported by other Republicans.

A bipartisan group from Florida’s congressional delegation, along with the chairman of the House Transportation Committee, are offering a counterpunch to the jab thrown in Washington D.C.  by opponents of the Brightline private passenger railroad in Florida.

In a letter Monday, U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, the Pennsylvania Republican chairing the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and seven Florida members, Republicans Carlos Curbelo, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Dennis Ross, and John Rutherford; and Democrats Frederica Wilson, Lois Frankel, and Darren Soto urged the Department of Transportation to fend off attacks from “certain interests attempting to undermine this project.”

Paul Gosser, a Republican from Arizona, also signed.

Their letter doesn’t say so, but it appears as a counterpunch to the letter sent five days earlier by U.S. Reps. Brian Mast, Bill Posey, Ron DeSantis, and Matt Gaetz, along with Mark Meadows, the North Carolina Republican who chairs the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee’s Subcommittee on Government Operations. They all urged the department to derail a Brightline financing that had previously been approved for the train.

The letter over Curbelo’s and Shuster’s lead signatures both defends Brightline as the kind of private project that needs to be applauded, not derailed, and the private activity bonds being used to finance its next big expansion, which is at issue in this battle between the congressional delegations.

“We are concerned that financing programs created by Congress with the express goal of encouraging private investment in projects that serve a public purpose are under attack by certain interests attempting to undermine this project,” the letter states. “As a surface transportation system, Brightline clearly serves a public need, and its value is already being demonstrated by its successful limited service in South Florida.”

All Aboard Florida launched its Brightline passenger trains between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale in January and extended the line to Miami last week, with the trains topping out at 79 mph.
View Quote

The new project was also a supported by a bipartisan congressional group.
newsnationnow.com/travel/bullet-train-between-las-vegas-and-la-has-bipartisan-support
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Public transportation is a huge waste of cash and needs to be forced to become self sufficient and not depending on taxpayer funds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#14]
In Vegas it is simply the criminal transport conduit. It’s how they raid neighborhoods at night then blend back into the hood. They are using bus stops recently built there in more affluent areas aka people who actually work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
I loved taking public transport in Japan. You couldn't pay me to take it here (CO).
View Quote

Seemed decent in Ireland
Fuck CO public transport
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FivespeedF150] [#16]
Originally Posted By mcooper:
I try to like it, but it sucks. I was in NOLA last weekend, we used the trolley and bus to get to the zoo and back to hotel.  Waiting 30+ minutes for a bus or trolley to show up was insane.
View Quote
And the whole time you’re standing around at a bus or trolley stop. You’re a mark.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Public transportation is a huge waste of cash and needs to be forced to become self sufficient and not depending on taxpayer funds.
View Quote

Roads too. Let's be consistent.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
If you want an actual discussion, maybe don't use clickbait type subject titles like "simp" and "always."

People that live in highly populated areas tend to use public transportation more.

People that often do a lot of traveling (Europe, Asia, etc..) realize that most other modern countries have quality public transportation in regards to rail, subway, and busses.

So if you're traveling overseas and then come back to your own city, you realize your public transpiration is lacking and could be considerably better.

The US on the other hand has relied more on the highway system for travel, so if you grow up in a rural or suburban area, the idea of using public transpiration is a foreign concept. Everyone just has a car. And if you don't have a car, you're shit out of luck or seen as poor.

It just so happens that conservatives more than likely live in rural or suburban areas and liberals live in the city.

Like asking "What do people who simp for John Deere tractors always conservatives?"

Umm, maybe because John Deere tractors are owned by people that live in rural areas that tend to be conservative.
View Quote

So, if you can understand the distinction why can't they?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Roads too. Let's be consistent.
View Quote

But thats different... lol.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top