Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
"The next step is to enable the spacecraft to begin returning science data again."

Voyager now: "It's dark and there's nothing here."

Voyager tomorrow: "It's still dark and there's still nothing here."

Rinse, repeat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
someone hit the ctrl - alt - del keys
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:42:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#4]
In the early 90's I worked with a legacy computer with limited memory and any fixes required putting an assembly jump code from the bad area to a free spot where the fix would be implemented, then a jump statement back to the main code.

I remember other engineers would be sloppy and not document where their "patches" were and you would end up writing over their patch and crashing the system at random times when their code would execute and jump into your code instead.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:

I saw a documentary about that.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1c/fe/ac/1cfeac5aa8348e54a5c03f2e904f15b6.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
The Aliens captured it, did experiments or tweaks and released it back into the wild.

I saw a documentary about that.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1c/fe/ac/1cfeac5aa8348e54a5c03f2e904f15b6.jpg

Yep. This.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The Aliens captured it, did experiments or tweaks and released it back into the wild.

View Quote

Renamed it V'ger and sent it back to Earth to look for its creator.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Oceans87:

So is it in a different solar system now?  Crazy to think how far away it is, and still sending back data.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Oceans87:
Originally Posted By seek2:

There's a solar system pic it took when it still worked, I'll see if I can find it.

So is it in a different solar system now?  Crazy to think how far away it is, and still sending back data.

It’s barely out of our solar system, the next closest one (Proxima Centauri) is a little over 4 light years away.  If it were to make it there your great x10 grandchildren’s bones would be dust.  Like a poster stated above it’s about 1 light day from earth.  It’s still very cool that something man made is out past the heliosphere in interstellar space.  What’s incredible is that either or both voyager 1 & 2 will most likely out last the human race or even life on earth since the void of space is so incredibly vast and very very empty unless they collide with something.  And since they are such small objects I could see if they lasted long enough to possibly be captured by some other larger objects gravity and become “satellites” again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ED_P:
In the early 90's I worked with a legacy computer with limited memory and any fixes required putting an assembly jump code from the bad area to a free spot where the fix would be implemented, then a jump statement back to the main code.

I remember other engineers would be sloppy and not document where their "patches" were and you would end up writing over their patch and crashing the system at random times when their code would execute and jump into your code instead.
View Quote

Try dealing with ALTER commands in COBOL. That shit was evil.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
It’s crazy that it’s nearly a light-day from earth.
View Quote

Yeah, AI gonna need to learn to space fold.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
So, who pulled the power plug and plugged it back in?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool.

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/nasa-voyager-1-resumes-data-after-outage

Engineers with Voyager's flight team at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, have been troubleshooting an issue since November, when the spacecraft, more than 15.1 billion miles from Earth, began sending back nonsense computer code.

View Quote

So it never actually stopped communicating.  Click bait headline.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By klinc:

A dos star trek game taught ne all I needed to know about loading/unloading drivers and managing lower and upper memory on startup than I ever needed to know... and this was before having internet.
View Quote

And yet millennials and Gen Xer's will say you don't understand technology.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:25:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ED_P] [#13]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Originally Posted By ED_P:

We're both showing our age.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Cool
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
We should have launched voyager 20 by now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
It would be cool to make a voyager 3.  If they kept it simple it could be relatively inexpensive and be something that could span generations.
Maybe if they made a reality show out of it or made it automatically send interstellar tweets or tiktoks people would care?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Kihn:

View Quote
Gonna need jump gates between galaxy's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Does Veeger have AI?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#20]
You gotta wonder though... what the hell was an entire engineering team doing for 5 months? I mean, everybody figured the thing was finally dead, right?

"Hi Bob, happy Monday.... any signals this morning?"

"Nope. Guess I'll go play golf. How about you?"

"Fuck it. I'm going camping in the desert for the week. See you next Monday!"
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#21]
It really is amazing that the Voyagers are still operating after so long.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I saw a video a while back that talked about how weak the signal was from that distance, and what it took to hear it.  I couldn't find the same one, but this one touches on it.  It's 5 years old, but still relevant and interesting.

How far can Voyager 1 go before we lose contact?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Really though. That is Amazing!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

It's nuts that a 22 watt transmitter can do that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
What kind of volatile memory did they have 46 years ago?  Wasn't most memory stored on tape?  I remember cassette tape drives in the early 80s before floppy disks.  Maybe there were early hard disk drives?

Nope, looks like they store memory on 8 track tapes!

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/08/24/voyagers-technology-little-memory-goes-long-way/104908888/

It's nuts that a 22 watt transmitter can do that.

In the 1970s, someone noticed the 4watt CB output wasn't very different than the output of the transmitter for talking to the moon landers. The respons was that it's a 4watt transmitter attached to a multi-million dollar antenna.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PsyTek:
NASA should release the source code for it.  It would be pretty interesting.  Not like anyone could hijack it, who the hell could transmit to it other than NASA?
View Quote

There are at least about 40 private hams in the world that would have antenna systems depending on the uplink frequency to make that journey. Hell there is a 1.2ghz EME beacon that transmits 24/7 with about 1,000,000 watts ERP.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Imagine if they made one today. I bet they could get 100 years of data out of it
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By kfs35:
View Quote

Imagine your home Windows machine running continuously since 1977?  Truly is a tribute to the quality of work that was done on these things and the care that was put into them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
VGER wishes to meet its creator.  

I’ve seen this movie before…..
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PsyTek] [#29]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

There are at least about 40 private hams in the world that would have antenna systems depending on the uplink frequency to make that journey. Hell there is a 1.2ghz EME beacon that transmits 24/7 with about 1,000,000 watts ERP.
View Quote

Interesting, and wow.  Per this path loss calculator, looks like at its 2.1GHz earth-to-Voyager link, 218dB path loss.  I would have thought it would be worse than that.  

The V1 antenna has 44dB of gain, which is a tad better than I could get on a EME Yagi for 2m*(

No idea what the gain of our transmitting facilities is, and Im sure we can throw nearly unlimited power at it, so I see your point.

I'm curious what the beam width of that dish is and how accurately they can point it at us.

* My Yagi calc says I would need a boom length of 36 miles, which can't be right but I am late to a call and will look at it later
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Had an instructor who said he worked on that craft doing soldering work. He was rightfully proud of what they had done. This was about 8 years after it had launched IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#31]
NASA should release the source code for it.  It would be pretty interesting.  Not like anyone could hijack it, who the hell could transmit to it other than NASA?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By mancat:
I've been really interested in how they've either modernized or virtualized the software environment of the original Voyager control systems but can find basically no information on it online.

PDF Warning

Computers in Spaceflight: The NASA Experience

Page 176 of the PDF (171 in the book) for Voyager. It uses the same computer at Viking.

Also interesting tidbit, it uses CMOS volatile memory that's directly attached to the RTG to make non-volatile.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Imagine your home Windows machine running continuously since 1977?  Truly is a tribute to the quality of work that was done on these things and the care that was put into them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kfs35:

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By seek2:

It has a camera but not enough power to run it, and it'd just see the sun as a distant largish star.

There's a solar system pic it took when it still worked, I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: These wwere taken when V1 was much, much closer.

https://i.imgur.com/xDSGX6o.jpeg
View Quote

Uranus is kinda stretched out...

Otherwise,what is it sending back?  Something like an unexpected message "we're coming for you"?   Now that would be interesting
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

Uranus is kinda stretched out...

Otherwise,what is it sending back?  Something like an unexpected message "we're coming for you"?   Now that would be interesting
View Quote

There's only a few of instruments that are still turned on, mainly the magentometers and a low-energy charged particle sensor, these are
sending data back that let us map the environment outside the solar system,  and they're how we know that Voyaget 1 passed the
heliopause where the sun's particles start to react to interstellar space -- basically a dividing line that shows Voyager is definitively outside
the influence of the solar system.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Nah...America's secret space force using ships developed from alien technology fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

Can you just free-range jump from the first, the anchor, to anywhere to set the second, the end (use those Boston Dynamics bots as pilots), then go from there?

I thinking we can go slow at first, folding space to the end of the solar system. Then just go from there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#38]
You want Vger?  Because this is how you get Vger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if it was a cosmic ray bit flipping issue or if the memory chip just went bad.

The damn things have been incredibly resilient.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

How do you get around the portal to hell problem?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

interstellar space, or the space between the stars. Interstellar space is filled with plasma, ionized gas

It’s right in the OP.

https://www.space.com/interstellar-space-definition-explanation
View Quote

Just to be clear, "filled" means about one atom per cubic meter (or about 9 atoms per 10 cubic yard dumpster for the GD crowd...).
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By lukus:
It changed it's name to V'Ger.
View Quote

This should have been the first post...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top