Now, calm down Jeff it's only a spider.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck that
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cavedog:
People who have psychology or related degrees went to school to fix themselves.

I'll just keep talking to Harvey.
View Quote

I can pretty much reflect on things myself and know what I need to work on. Maybe I don't do everything right the first time or change right away but I don't need someone to tell me what I already know.

Having a beer and conversation with a good friend is more therapeutic.

I'm not judging anyone who needs therapy though because I only know my own head.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By easttxshooter:
The amount of times I've had to answer "Have you ever seen a therapist and what for?" tells me that if I do I'll probably sink my career.
View Quote

What kind of career asks that ?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Way back when I had a psychology practice in Corpus Christi - back when I charged $50 an hour, I would see a mother and young son every Friday for $5 an hour - she was proud she could help her son and I would go home to my wife and tell her "Let's get a hamburger!"

So, yes, I would go.  Problem is finding a therapist who is actually therapeutic.  At my current age, I tend to talk to a pastor mentor.  I am old school - and old (75) and turned down a recent teaching job at a university because I told the Department head that I would cause trouble for the psychology program when I informed the students that there Are Only TWO Genders....she agreed.

So, find a psychologist who is older - who admits to human frailties and foibles and , important, has had therapy themselves.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The few people I know who are in the psychiatry field are pretty poorly-adjusted people, psychologically. I'd be very careful choosing a psychiatrist lest you leave treatment in worse shape than when you went in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I would consider going to one if someone paid me $100 for my hour of time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
A good psychiatrist can make a huge difference. If you find one you like I don’t see why you wouldn’t. Mental health is no joke. If it works why not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#10]
If in thought I needed one, sure.

Go just to get an hour of probing conversation every week?  So they can build a complete dossier on your psyche?

Pass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Is she hot?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chase45:
No I wouldnt because I dont want therapy

That time would be better used walking the woods with my thoughts

But Im not everyone and therapy is good for some people
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I've found it easier to have friends and a wife you can just be friggin open with. No shame in it though
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Weekly? Damn dude! How fucked up are you?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By P1pe:
I've found it easier to have friends and a wife you can just be friggin open with. No shame in it though
View Quote

New guy nailed it.

Having a close friend who understands you will do more good than a guy or gal you're paying to be your friend.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Nah, I wouldn't give some know-it-all dickhead an hour of my time for $5 a week. That's not even minimum wage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Baq:
I wouldnd even go if they payed me.

Most Therapists are more broken then I am and when I need to talk to somebodys Buddys with Beer are allways a call away.
View Quote

Ya, not sure why, but most chick's I have known or dated with mental issues and medications almost ALWAYS wanted to be psychiatrists/therapists.

I guess the optimist in me says they want to help people not be like them and avoid some of the problems they made for themselves. But idk, seems like it could be a blind leading the blind situation.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
I know everyone on GD has the perfect millionaire life but if you could spend an hour of your time and $5 a week would you speak with a counselor/psychiatrist?

I remember when I was a child my mom took me to a psychiatrist because it was required for ritalin (I was an early adhd kid) and in general it was nice to just talk to someone about what's going on in your life who was a professional.

I recently found out the insurance I've had for many years has no deductible and a $5 co-pay for counselor/psychiatrist with no limit on visits within a year period.

I'm wondering why I wouldn't just spend an hour of my time and $5 a week and talk with someone who could potentially get me on a path to keep doing better in my life.

What say GD?

View Quote

Fuck no. I got better things to do with an hour.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Idpapaperoperator] [#19]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

This.

I'd go to a therapist and pay 10x what the op suggests if I could just walk in and say "my name is Joe blow" and that was the end.

As it is, I don't go because I don't want to say the wrong thing to the wrong kind of person.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Originally Posted By Max429:
And get put on another list to use for disarmament reasons by a corrupt.gov??? Fuck no.

This.

I'd go to a therapist and pay 10x what the op suggests if I could just walk in and say "my name is Joe blow" and that was the end.

As it is, I don't go because I don't want to say the wrong thing to the wrong kind of person.

Agreed, therapy should be (or have the option to be) anonymous. But how would the offices bill the right company for that sweet, sweet insurance money. Maybe if you paid cash but then it would be $$$$.

I do have to wonder, how many people out there who REALLY need therapy, would be more likely to go of it was anonymous? I wonder if that is a flaw in the system, or a feature. Maybe both.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
It would be a waste of 5 dollars. Be better off going for a drive and throwing a 5 dollar bill out the window. At least someone could find it and buy a candy bar with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d borrow money to tell a mental heath professional about some of the members here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd be more likely to give it a try... One of the reasons I haven't is the price.

I still find it hard to believe that talking to a counselor or psychiatrist would help at all with my issues. I'm pretty sure I just need to be on anxiety medication full time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#23]
No but I’d send my wife to one. She’s nuts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, I'll throw in a true story here. I saw a shrink one time in my entire 40+ years on this earth. I was at a real low, enough so that I was willing to try anything so I found the best guy I could, booked an appointment months in advance, and paid something like $200 to sit down with him for an hour. The best advice he could give me? "Imagine your entire body is filled with a warm orange liquid, and as it fills you up, it pushes all your worries out through your pores. You feel better??" NO. Fuck you, give me my $200 back. And what the fuck does it matter if the imaginarely liquid is orange, anway?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
No. Rarely have I met more disturbed individuals than in the mental health community. It seems as if psychiatrists and psychologists act as sponges for the ills of their patients, soaking up their problems in a transference process. I have also prosecuted de-certification of mental health professionals, both psychiatrists and psychologists, who openly conducted flaming affairs with their patients, a flagrant violation of the doctor/patient relationship, abuse of a position of trust, and generally really creepy. In each case, despite some pretty clear professional prohibitions against such behavior, each saw no particular professional or moral problem with that conduct. Each lost their case and their careers. Any discipline that can produce such flagrant repeated wrong-doing in instances separated by both time and geography has a lot of soul searching to do. Until the profession cleans house, I wouldn’t avail of them for myself if they paid me, and I would urge extreme caution of anybody who does. If you do, research their professional and disciplinary background thoroughly.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
Ok, I'll throw in a true story here. I saw a shrink one time in my entire 40+ years on this earth. I was at a real low, enough so that I was willing to try anything so I found the best guy I could, booked an appointment months in advance, and paid something like $200 to sit down with him for an hour. The best advice he could give me? "Imagine your entire body is filled with a warm orange liquid, and as it fills you up, it pushes all your worries out through your pores. You feel better??" NO. Fuck you, give me my $200 back. And what the fuck does it matter if the imaginarely liquid is orange, anway?
View Quote

This is what I'd be afraid of... That's just not going to help in the least.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Dear god no. The voices in my head would never allow it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
Dear god no. The voices in my head would never allow it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#29]
The last shrink I talked to concerning ADHD was one of 3 that was pro gun. I interviewed the other 2 and they wouldn’t tell me their stance on the 2nd amendment.

I worry that the King will use any reason to disarm us, especially something like ADHD. If I found a pro 2A shrink, you bet. Otherwise, he’ll no.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#30]
No most therapists are hacks and should be nowhere near patients.  You never know what bullshit diagnosis they will log into your permanent records.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I've never had any need or desire for that, so no.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Once every three months works fine for me at $175 a pop.  Comes out to two bucks a day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#33]

My health insurance company.
View Quote

Everyone else paying health insurance premiums.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:
Fuck no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Why pay $5 when I could post my concerns on here for some tough love replies (without the love).

Anyway no need as I am perfect...humble too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FE2O3_2Al:

Fixed it for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FE2O3_2Al:

My health insurance company.

Fixed it for you.

??
Our insurance is over $30k a year for the family paid by my wife's employer. It's one of the reasons she stays working in the medical field.

Are you saying that having health coverage, paying our premiums and using the benefits offered to us is some FSA shit?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#37]

That's my thought. Small time sink and basically no money out of pocket to see if it has any value to me.

I could see how some people see this as a sign of weakness or they dont need help but I guess I don't see it that way.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Autostrada_Pilot:
If you think it might help, then why not? Worst case scenario is that 4-5 visits in you decide you’re a-ok no longer going and you’re only out $20 and a few hours of time.

That's my thought. Small time sink and basically no money out of pocket to see if it has any value to me.

I could see how some people see this as a sign of weakness or they dont need help but I guess I don't see it that way.

I think that’s a good choice. I did an e-visit when I started my job and had some other things going on. They include 3 per year at this company for free. I only did one but it did help me work through some things. Shortly after that I was doing better and haven’t used any since. It is nice to know I have them in my back pocket. I don’t think it is a sign of weakness either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 556Cliff] [#38]
Originally Posted By cycletool:
The last shrink I talked to concerning ADHD was one of 3 that was pro gun. I interviewed the other 2 and they wouldn’t tell me their stance on the 2nd amendment.

I worry that the King will use any reason to disarm us, especially something like ADHD. If I found a pro 2A shrink, you bet. Otherwise, he’ll no.
View Quote

You bring up another good point and it's also a concern of mine. Not only I'm I afraid to see a counselor/psychiatrist for fear of them red flagging me and putting me on a list of people that should have their 2nd amendment rights removed, but I'm also afraid that asking my doctor about being put on some anxiety medication would trigger the same thing.

So, seek help from a mental health "professional" and/or ask my doctor about being put on medication medication and risk having my 2nd amendment rights stripped from me. Or, continue to live as a social hermit until death, but at least I'd have my rights. The problem is that I can't continue to live like I have been, so this is actually a tough one.

I'll just have to go the medication route first and hope I don't get flagged and put on a "no guns for you" list.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Nah, last thing I need is to traumatize some dumbass shrink with the demons in my head.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Autostrada_Pilot:
If you think it might help, then why not? Worst case scenario is that 4-5 visits in you decide you’re a-ok no longer going and you’re only out $20 and a few hours of time.

I think that’s a good choice. I did an e-visit when I started my job and had some other things going on. They include 3 per year at this company for free. I only did one but it did help me work through some things. Shortly after that I was doing better and haven’t used any since. It is nice to know I have them in my back pocket. I don’t think it is a sign of weakness either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Cheap ain't good, and good ain't cheap. It's probably not a place to bargain shop. SMH
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I like an environment where I can sort out my thoughts without interruption or repercussions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AR15A2SporterII:
Cheap ain't good, and good ain't cheap. It's probably not a place to bargain shop. SMH
View Quote

He charges $300 an hour.
My co-pay is $5, insurance pays for the rest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#44]

He charges $300 an hour.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR15A2SporterII:

He charges $300 an hour.

If you need help, get help. I think you know what the answer is.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#45]
$5 to talk about feelings and shit sounds gay and boring.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#46]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
No, but I don't need one.
View Quote

This.  And I'd be under the assumption that anything I say to one will be used against me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck no. Psychologists are crazy. I dont need their fucked up views invading my life
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

You bring up another good point and it's also a concern of mine. Not only I'm I afraid to see a counselor/psychiatrist for fear of them red flagging me and putting me on a list of people that should have their 2nd amendment rights removed, but I'm also afraid that asking my doctor about being put on some anxiety medication would trigger the same thing.

So, seek help from a mental health "professional" and/or ask my doctor about being put on medication medication and risk having my 2nd amendment rights stripped from me. Or, continue to live as a social hermit until death, but at least I'd have my rights. The problem is that I can't continue to live like I have been, so this is actually a tough one.

I'll just have to go the medication route first and hope I don't get flagged and put on a "no guns for you" list.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
Originally Posted By cycletool:

Are you a vet?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#49]
$5 a week? Nah, they would have to pay me a lot more than that to waste so much valuable time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone who sees a psychiatrist needs to have their head examined...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top