BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phil_Billy:

If you buy the 690 it's pretty reasonable.
View Quote

Yeah. The adventure bikes are better for that. Heavier though!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TimeIsRunninOut:
Honestly with the years I did ride motorcycles, I would recommend sitting on several models including different engine sizes. A good salesman will hold the front wheel so you can get the "feet off of the ground" feeling. At your size a DRZ400 might be a good option. I'm 5'6" 180 and prefer the CB500X (not a true dual sport) for it's size and highway capability.
View Quote

For me, motorcycles mean Adventure. Having a light trailbike is fun, but eventually, your adventure is a few hours….. or states… away and you want to bungee a backpack and a tent to the seat and disappear for 3-4 days. You can’t really do that on a 150cc bike, and you would wish for bigger than an air cooled 250. The newer EFI 300’s would probably be ok for that kind of riding, but they want serious money for them and something like a DRZ400 or DR650S are dirt cheap because they have made them since God was a boy.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GrimesSU:
Unless you plan to do a lot of offroad/dirt where a smaller CC bike makes more sense, get the 650 dual sports.

1.) The Suzuki DR650 is a great option, with TONS of aftermarket and OEM support.  Super simple as the design hasn't changed much since 1996.

2.) The Honda XR650L is a good bike, but is like sitting on a skyscraper and unless you are TALL, you will have trouble reaching the ground.

3.) The Kawasaki 650 is nice and has a lot of electronics and fuel injection. Even has an ABS option. Though it is a bit heavy at 100lbs more than the other bikes.

4.) If you want a fancy dual sport, there's the BMW dual sports, but they are EXPENSIVE.

View Quote

As a former KLR650 owner, HELL NO. The only thing it’s good at is being a cheap bike for Frugal riders. You are paying 2020’s prices for a bike that was pretty basic when it came out in 1986…. Under the skin is is basically the same bike…. And it was never a great bike at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:

The DR can be easily lowered and actually comes ready to do so very easily.

But at 5’10” the OP won’t need to.
View Quote

I’m 5’9-1/2” with a long torso and short legs (makes it hard to get roadracing leathers that fit without going custom) and I can flat foot a DR650S, no problem.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#5]

The CB500x is likely the most overlooked bike out there and should be much more popular.
View Quote

I don’t doubt it. But it should have been a 650-Honda likely knew it would be bringing the Transalp back and didn’t want to cannibalize sales.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JDennis:
I have a KLX300.

It is the most fun street legal motorcycle I have ever had.  I put a rack on it with soft bags. If I want to go fish, I put my travel pole case and tackle box on it. If I want to go shoot, I carry ammo and rifle cases. If I want to cruise to work or the store I can, and if I want to go to the riding park, I do and pound the trails and come home.

Also the thing is bombproof....

I do not regret getting rid of my Harley at all.  In fact, I have been getting the itch to add a adventure bike to the compliment the dual sport.

ETA: I am 6' and 250.  The KLX has great suspension and power for our weight. I can cruise 55-60 no problem and 70-75 if needed.  I considered a Honda crf300 till I road it. The suspension sucks.
View Quote

Man, are you spoiled for choice with the Adventure bikes on the market….. They are all very good bikes no matter what you spend.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
There are an absolute metric fuck ton of bikes down in South America that are less than 200cc, and people use them to make a living and drive on freeways at close to 70 MPH.

You'll be fine with 250-300ccs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#9]
Originally Posted By StanGram:
I'll go against the grain here...

Unless this is a commuting tool or long rides will be the norm, I find smaller bikes to be a lot more fun.

View Quote

Agreed, in certain circumstances.
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

At your weight, I’d look at a used DRZ-400 or 650.
View Quote

I'm 175lbs & 6'3". My first road legal bike was a drz400sm.  I lost respect for it very quickly. I think you should be just a little bit afraid of your bike (enough to know that it'll try to kill you if you don't treat it right). It was also horrible on roads with a speed limit much over 50mph, which was pretty much everywhere for me because of where I lived at the time. Forget about the freeway. Cruising at 70, it was about topped out in 5th gear (it would just barely hit 100 if I literally laid down and tried to hide myself behind the headlight) other traffic passing would also blow me all over the place. It also feels like riding on a 2x4 if you're riding much more than a couple of hours.

I got an SV 1000 later and it was a much better bike to ride in my area and way better for longer rides.

That being said, I don't think a powerful sport bike is necessarily the best beginner bike either.

If I lived and spent most of my time in a city or nearby, the motard would be fantastic. It has enough power to move assertively around in city traffic and being able to do dumb things like ride on a sidewalk or bike path if you needed to would be great.

I don't currently have a bike but I think the next one I buy will be either a true dual sport or an adventure bike.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
OP, don't make a mistake that will cost you big $$ to correct.
Don't go small.
Years ago I did and bought a KLR650. It was a gutless pig that I couldn't even keep up with traffic on.
I know they are popular and serve a purpose but I now have an Africa Twin and it's a whole different universe.
View Quote

Your issue with the KLR650 had nothing to do with size and everything about not meeting your needs.

The KLR was never designed to "keep up with traffic".  It's a good bike for riding back roads and gravel trails.

If you wanted a competent road bike, the Suzuki V-Strom (650 cc) would have been a better fit. At 650 cc's, it will keep up with almost anything.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
TW200
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CZRider] [#12]
My first and so far only bike is a WR250 supermoto with off-road tires and I think it's been great as a cheap starter/learner that can handle a little bit of everything and retire into a role as a street-legal trail bike when I move up to a more powerful street bike. Supermotos are meant for a kind of on/off road racing that actually fits pretty well with the places you intend to ride - basically, take one of the 300cc dual sports and give it 17" wheels with road tires instead of 18/21" wheels with knobbies and you've got one.

I think it's a great "try it all" bike - pretty docile and neutral for just about any style of riding but it'll start to fall short once you get further down any particular path. On the street, you'll start to feel the power drop off above 55 miles an hour and it'll be a little harder to handle at interstate speeds. It'll do 80, but you won't really want to be there any longer than you have to. A dual sport will probably tide you over on the trails just fine for quite a while, but it'll always lack a little against a dirt bike or an ADV in their roles. Supermotos probably shouldn't be taken any further than a dirt or gravel road without putting knobbies on it like mine came with.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#13]
I used to own a Yamaha XT-250.

Awesome bike. I could ride around in the woods all day on a tank of gas, and it had enough power to go ~65mph on the highway (though it was not fun at that speed if it was windy).

Super inexpensive to ride and maintain. Light enough to just pick up if it gets stuck or you reach a dead end on a narrow path.

When I move out of the city, I’ll look to buy one again.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:

These are awesome, too.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelHyde] [#14]
Originally Posted By Beamy:
I'm thinking really hard about a 300cc or smaller dual sport for my first bike

The new Honda XR150L looks neat, I've heard good things about the KLX300 and CRF300L

However I'm 5'10 and weigh about 245
View Quote

For a first bike a 300 cc bike should be perfect for dirt and learning the fundamentals on a lighter bike that is safer to drop or step off.

My first bike was the CRF 300L Rally.  Im 6' and 240 lbs and  sometimes i carry up to 120lbs extra with panniers boxes and my rucksack on long trips. You should be fine and if your inseam is shorter there is now a 300L shorter model that is pre-lowered.

As of today it has 10,377 miles and has been a champ.  Only major changes have been a Seat Concepts Comfort XL seat, K -Tech rear shock and a 45 tooth sprocket that kept the stock chain length. Longest trip straight was over 5,500 miles going from west TX to Trinidad, CO via the TAT to Cape Hatteras, NC and then back home to west TX. The bike isn't fast or a torque monster but it will reliably get you up plenty of mountain trails with 60 + mpg with 200 + mile range. Max highway speed for me was approx 65 mph.

My buddy has a DRZ 400 which had a decent bump in power but much lower MPG and significantly lower all day offroad riding comfort.  From sea level to 13,000 feet elevation in CO, he has never had any issues with his carb or hard starting, which was impressive.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I got an XR650L used as a first bike, I am 5'8 #170 and 46 years old
It was a bit too much the first month or so as a new rider on a big bike, I was questioning not getting a TW200.
By the end of the summer I was rocking and rolling on it, having a blast.
Tricked it out over the winter with all the mods, still cheaper than a new one, and it rips hot shit down my back roads and trails.
You are an adult, not a dumb teenager.
Get the bigger bike man, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]

@Alacrity

I'm mainly looking at back roads and dirt roads
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacrity:
Originally Posted By miseses:
I rode a 300cc dual sport as my only transport for a few years.  It's the bare minimum if you're hitting highways.  If you live on dirt roads and only going into towns on the odd occasion on surface roads the 150 is perfect.

Holy shit - Which? That's serious

Peeps will tell OP sub 500cc is prolly too little. If you're gonna be on Super Slab, I'd prefer something larger than 250 or 300cc. But the current crop of 300cc ain't the old school, XT or DR 200 better XR, TTR, DR/DRZ. They're pretty capable, I'd roll cross country on one. But I wouldn't roll often on urban highways in the States.

@Beamy what is your intended use patterns?

ETA - for a backroads knock around you'd be fine. Might need to re-spring if you're gonna have any gear on the bike.

@Alacrity

I'm mainly looking at back roads and dirt roads

For that kind of thing a 300 would be fine.

Lots of good ideas - MSF course, maybe rent one or do some off road training to get a feel. Depends on your previous experience and comfort level, Prolly wouldn't recommend a plated hard enduro for many reasons tho, nor a mid sized ADV.

GL man - ATGATT

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ulster:

I got back into motorcycles at 55 years old.  The 500x was my pick, and it's been perfect for my needs.  Running around farm country with some gravel roads mixed in.  

I can travel the speed limit easy on any local highways, and I don't have to worry about getting any 100+ mph tickets either.  

Also, at 7k new, the price is right.  

https://i.postimg.cc/85dqLCcf/500x.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ulster:
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
My son took the MSF Rider Course when he was in college, then bought a Honda CB500X for his first.

It's perfect for him.

I took it out for a long ride, including highway riding at 70-80mph. It's a superb motorcycle.

It will be a long time before he outgrows it.

The CB500x is likely the most overlooked bike out there and should be much more popular.

I got back into motorcycles at 55 years old.  The 500x was my pick, and it's been perfect for my needs.  Running around farm country with some gravel roads mixed in.  

I can travel the speed limit easy on any local highways, and I don't have to worry about getting any 100+ mph tickets either.  

Also, at 7k new, the price is right.  

https://i.postimg.cc/85dqLCcf/500x.jpg

They are great for this kind of thing. At one time they were dirt cheap used.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#19]
You're going to want a DR650.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I rode a CRF250L most days of the week for a few years. Took it on the highway once, never again. I had the rear shock cranked almost to max at ~160 pounds. There’s a reason most guys throw a couple thousand into the suspension as soon as they get them, it just isn’t enough.

It was great around town and on fire roads. Wasn’t off roady enough for me, I’d rather have a dirt bike to toss around at 100 or so pounds less. The small dual sports are porky if you don’t get a KTM/Husky/Beta “dual sport”.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I have bikes from 150cc to over 1900cc and I love them all and ride them all on the road. However from my experience really small bikes are actually not great bikes when you haven’t developed all of your good defensive techniques as second nature. There is something to be said with keeping up with traffic and not being a road hazard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ajek:

Awesome bike. I could ride around in the woods all day on a tank of gas, and it had enough power to go ~65mph on the highway (though it was not fun at that speed if it was windy).

Super inexpensive to ride and maintain. Light enough to just pick up if it gets stuck or you reach a dead end on a narrow path.

When I move out of the city, I'll look to buy one again.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125679/IMG_2975_jpeg-3188964.JPG

ETA:

These are awesome, too.

View All Quotes

ETA:

These are awesome, too.

I have an XT 250 and a buddy has a TW200, both are great, the XT is more usefull.  The XT is my goofing around town bike.  Long trips on the highway aren't great but for shorter ones it's okay.  It does sip gas which is nice and it's light enough I plan on getting a hitch carrier some day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have never ridden may I suggest a used bike so you can find out if you really like riding first and also because you most likely will have a crash or a spill.

I started riding at age 9 but still had a street crash later in life and a bunch of near crashes, but that happens when you do squid shit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I had the same dilemma, at 5'11"/220. Ended up getting a DRZ as I wanted something with decent suspension and power in the 320lb range. I'm glad I didn't go with a kawasaki or honda 300, as the 6th gear for highway speeds on these bikes is overrated IMO and they don't have equivalent power to weight ratios. I would prefer fuel injection, but other than that it's fine for a starter bike. I'm thinking of trading up to an Africa Twin eventually as I'm just too old to take up off-road riding. I like hitting the dirt roads though, so something off-road oriented is preferable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#25]
DRZ400 all day every day
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Go with a bigger bike, 600+ cc if it’s just dirt roads snd backroads.  Like an Africa Twin or a KTM Adventure.

If it’s dirt roads and woods trails, a 250 or 300cc two stroke (KTM, Husky, GasGas, Sherco, Yamaha)
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Smaller I could easily say just get a R6 with your weight and stature I would not waste money maybe just get a Ducati panigale it has different modes rain Sport and race so you can somewhat tune it to your writing style buy once cry once
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
If you have never ridden may I suggest a used bike so you can find out if you really like riding first and also because you most likely will have a crash or a spill.

I started riding at age 9 but still had a street crash later in life and a bunch of near crashes, but that happens when you do squid shit.
View Quote

I'm CZRider and I approve this message. Thought to myself the other day it was a good thing I got a cheap bike that someone else had already looped for me when I put the kickstand down at a gas station and heard a really loud thud the moment I turned around to the pump Bent the shift lever back (again), decided I could live with the busted mirror, made sure the fuel tank wasn't cracked and off it went
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Shorty101st:
Smaller I could easily say just get a R6 with your weight and stature I would not waste money maybe just get a Ducati panigale it has different modes rain Sport and race so you can somewhat tune it to your writing style buy once cry once
View Quote

I get the strangest feeling that maybe a guy who is looking at a 300cc dual sport may not be in the market for a Ducati.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#30]

ETA:

These are awesome, too.

View All Quotes

ETA:

These are awesome, too.

Pat Williams RTW a XT250. They are greatly underestimated, they are light and well balanced, tho light on power as well. You can get away with that if you avoid Super Slab. It's very height friendly for a new rider.

When you could score a TTR 250 for $2k or less, uncork and rejet, regear for little, basically set it up as a DS as Yammy did in OZ and other markets, rather than the Super Trailie it was marketed in the States it was a great option. Esp with a big tank. Tall tho.

The DRZ is an another option. Shears the hell outta oil so need to stay on top. It's tall and top heavy, so new rider might have his hands full.

@Beamy lots of bikes get used very little  before peeps decide it ain't for them - so always makes sense to take a look used. If you can find something that makes sense your background would serve you well - in assessment and wrenching. Any of these may need some suspension work - with gear, on you and on the bike you'll be pushing 300, and most of these are sprung for closer to half that.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

I get the strangest feeling that maybe a guy who is looking at a 300cc dual sport may not be in the market for a Ducati.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ayada:
Originally Posted By Shorty101st:

Dude

Anything less than One Liter and he'll be dead before he gets off his own street. Prolly twice.

Attachment Attached File

Is this not perfect for him

...lol some of these suggestions.  Let us know what you end up with man. Hope your post AF life is tops.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:17:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#32]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
There are an absolute metric fuck ton of bikes down in South America that are less than 200cc, and people use them to make a living and drive on freeways at close to 70 MPH.

View Quote

That is true. But they work in the next village 8km away, their highways look like our country roads, few of their freeways are straight slabs, and they don’t have 90mph Suburbans with distracted moms on Ritalin putting makeup on, drinking a latte, and talking to the pediatrician’s office on the phone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

Agreed, in certain circumstances.

I'm 175lbs & 6'3". My first road legal bike was a drz400sm.  I lost respect for it very quickly. I think you should be just a little bit afraid of your bike (enough to know that it'll try to kill you if you don't treat it right). It was also horrible on roads with a speed limit much over 50mph, which was pretty much everywhere for me because of where I lived at the time. Forget about the freeway. Cruising at 70, it was about topped out in 5th gear (it would just barely hit 100 if I literally laid down and tried to hide myself behind the headlight) other traffic passing would also blow me all over the place. It also feels like riding on a 2x4 if you're riding much more than a couple of hours.

I got an SV 1000 later and it was a much better bike to ride in my area and way better for longer rides.

That being said, I don't think a powerful sport bike is necessarily the best beginner bike either.

If I lived and spent most of my time in a city or nearby, the motard would be fantastic. It has enough power to move assertively around in city traffic and being able to do dumb things like ride on a sidewalk or bike path if you needed to would be great.

I don't currently have a bike but I think the next one I buy will be either a true dual sport or an adventure bike.
View Quote

Sounds like a medium size dual purpose bike was wrong for you and you figured it out quick. OP wants a dual sport.

SV1000’s are cool bikes, and fairly fast. OP would probably need therapy if you put him on yours.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#34]
OP, I asked myself the same question last year and wound up with a CRF450RL.

It was the correct decision for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:53:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#35]

That is true. But they work in the next village 8km away, their highways look like our country roads, few of their freeways are straight slabs, and they don't have 90mph Suburbans with distracted moms on Ritalin putting makeup on, drinking a latte, and talking to the pediatrician's office on the phone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:

That is true. But they work in the next village 8km away, their highways look like our country roads, few of their freeways are straight slabs, and they don't have 90mph Suburbans with distracted moms on Ritalin putting makeup on, drinking a latte, and talking to the pediatrician's office on the phone.

I've ridden all over, mostly SA and Africa, often on sub 500cc bikes - late 90s DR250XC was the smallest, the farthest (bit over 10k kms).

I've spent a lot of time on Tornados (XR250), Falcon (XR400), XTs and TTs of various flavors, 230 Lanza, some local and China knockoffs. They all work. Would they be my choice for distance in the developing world? Nope. If I can make it happen I prefer larger, my issue is mostly payload and range since I'm traveling. But the small cc bikes did ok. if Beamy was looking to tour I'd tell him start at the CB500X and up. But not his ask.

Plenty of peeps around the world do make do with sub 200cc local market value bikes. It's due to price not choice. Still it gets done.

Attachment Attached File

For what Beamy is doing, think one of the 300 "ADVs" would be fine. Sam Hyde's a good example. @SamuelHyde - which of your bikes do you prefer for knocking around?

The hot ticket for a DRZ are wide ratio gears - can't quite get it done with sprockets. Def makes it a better distance dirt tourer, but I'd be inclined to grab a DR650 and avoid the hassle/cost.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#36]
At your size i wouldn't look at anything smaller than a DRZ 400.
They are super reliable and plenty capable.

I'm 6'4/220 and ride a 13yo Husky 630 SM
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#37]
To bad Yamaha dropped the WR250R.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#38]

The hot ticket for a DRZ are wide ratio gears - can't quite get it done with sprockets. Def makes it a better distance dirt tourer, but I'd be inclined to grab a DR650 and avoid the hassle/cost.

View Quote

That is exactly where I landed on it and exactly why I sold my DRZ.

I think the problem these threads always have is that there are a few true dual sport riders who overestimate what reality is for most other riders when it comes down to dirt/road ratio. I also think folks like you and I have a slightly different grasp on what ADV riding is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Check out the KTM 390 Adventure….

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:19:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#40]
Let me just throw this out there…my DR650 very lightly modified weighs about the same.

But I think the CRF is likely a fine bike like most every bike nowadays.

Do consider the new Himalayan though…it’s looking pretty interesting.
View Quote

I have a Himalayan Scram 411, like it a lot, but wish I had held off for the new Himalayan.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:20:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#41]

I think the problem these threads always have is that there are a few true dual sport riders who overestimate what reality is for most other riders when it comes down to dirt/road ratio. I also think folks like you and I have a slightly different grasp on what ADV riding is.
View All Quotes

We may not see each other brother, but some of us are def at the same meetings

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:45:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelHyde] [#42]

For what Beamy is doing, think one of the 300 "ADVs" would be fine. Sam Hyde's a good example. @SamuelHyde - which of your bikes do you prefer for knocking around?

View Quote

For the asphalt especially and well maintained gravel/hard pack the Africa Twin is pure joy.  I don't delude myself into thinking if I suddenly went down on it offroad that I wouldn't be seriously hurt though.  Smaller ruts and loose gravel pockets definitely effect the heavier bike quicker making for some pucker moments off road.

The 300L Rally for gravel, two track, TAT/BDR riding, sand, harder trails, etc.  is so much more relaxing as it is so stable in those conditions.  50+ mph on gravel roads is like child's play but when going slower in more technical stuff it is easy due to the exceptional gearing on the 300. The more pronounced engine braking actually is a positive in steep terrain or times when you normally would need to bleed speed quickly due to something in the trail in my experience.

With hand guards and Outback motortek side crash bars the bike is just fine in low speed get offs allowing me to push myself without worrying about damaging the bike also.

The 300's arent going to blow anyone's hair back but will get you there and back reliably with less fuel range anticipation.  The down side is heavy winds on the highway are going to push you around and dont count on passing many people.  I did about 2000 miles straight on the interstate coming back from Cape Hatteras, NC without any issues.  I just hugged the right line and waived anyone around that rode my ass, easy peasy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#43]

As a former KLR650 owner, HELL NO. The only thing it’s good at is being a cheap bike for Frugal riders. You are paying 2020’s prices for a bike that was pretty basic when it came out in 1986…. Under the skin is is basically the same bike…. And it was never a great bike at all.
View Quote

Correct.... Heavy, underpowered, needs suspension, and all sorts of shit to make it friendly.  Never got the love.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SamuelHyde:

For the asphalt especially and well maintained gravel/hard pack the Africa Twin is pure joy.  I don't delude myself into thinking if I suddenly went down on it offroad that I wouldn't be seriously hurt though.  Smaller ruts and loose gravel pockets definitely effect the heavier bike quicker making for some pucker moments off road.

The 300L Rally for gravel, two track, TAT/BDR riding, sand, harder trails, etc.  is so much more relaxing as it is so stable in those conditions.  50+ mph on gravel roads is like child's play but when going slower in more technical stuff it is easy due to the exceptional gearing on the 300. The more pronounced engine braking actually is a positive in steep terrain or times when you normally would need to bleed speed quickly due to something in the trail in my experience.

With hand guards and Outback motortek side crash bars the bike is just fine in low speed get offs allowing me to push myself without worrying about damaging the bike also.

The 300's arent going to blow anyone's hair back but will get you there and back reliably with less fuel range anticipation.  The down side is heavy winds on the highway are going to push you around and dont count on passing many people.  I did about 2000 miles straight on the interstate coming back from Cape Hatteras, NC without any issues.  I just hugged the right line and waived anyone around that rode my ass, easy peasy.
View All Quotes

For home to home loops on rural paved and gravel with some graded fire roads, 265 on the bike - think it’s sufficient?  No two-track, single or super slab.  I think that’s Beamy’s intention

Your have the best experiential insight so far.

But hell yea the Africa Twin wins most every argument
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By terryj:
drz400 or better.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By linx310:

Man I put 65,000 miles on my KLR650 and had no issues keeping up with traffic.  And you can get decent ones used for less than 3k

I currently have a klx300 as well and it does 75-80 mph
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By linx310:

OP, don't make a mistake that will cost you big $$ to correct.
Don't go small.
Years ago I did and bought a KLR650. It was a gutless pig that I couldn't even keep up with traffic on.
I know they are popular and serve a purpose but I now have an Africa Twin and it's a whole different universe

Man I put 65,000 miles on my KLR650 and had no issues keeping up with traffic.  And you can get decent ones used for less than 3k

I currently have a klx300 as well and it does 75-80 mph

My first bike was a KLR650 and while I could keep up w/ traffic w/ just me, once I put on panniers and camping equipment, the 34 horsepower, just didn't cut it.  I would dread going over mountain passes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
My son took the MSF Rider Course when he was in college, then bought a Honda CB500X for his first.

It's perfect for him.

I took it out for a long ride, including highway riding at 70-80mph. It's a superb motorcycle.

It will be a long time before he outgrows it.

There is an off-road kit, by Rally Raid, for the little CB, that makes it a very capable Adventure bike.  I haven't ridden one w/ the off road kit, but they are fun bikes on the twisty canyon roads.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I'll mirror these comments.

I've put 25k miles on my 300L Rally in the last two years or so after getting back into riding after a long hiatus. I grew up on dirt bikes so I wanted something that felt familiar, but I also have to ride 30-50 miles of highway, including sometimes crossing rivers on interstate sections, to get to the Ozarks or the Ouachitas. I'm getting to the point of wanting something more though, as at 6'2 and 200 I'm a bit heavy for it in every way.

I have a busy family life, so I tend to have to cram all my riding into one day when I'll take a day off mid-week and dive into one of the national forests at sunrise and ride 150 miles or so of mixed dirt/gravel/trail and the 100 miles or so of pavement to get there and back again. Sam's riding style on the TAT was right up my alley as far as making good time while not being stupid.

I've traded bikes with other guys and a DR650 doesn't feel that much different from a weight and handling perspective, but they have much more grunt. I feel like I have an easier time handling my 300L at very low speeds around obstacles like baby heads and wheel eaters, but that is probably just muscle memory.

I've been baby sitting a friends XR650R and that machine is a hoot on the double track. It is much more in the vein of the power that I'm looking for, and the suspension has been worked over so it feels like a dream during shenanigans compared to my 300L.

I'm ultimately going to need to get a proper big bike like an AT so I quit trying to push my little learner bike to keep up on group ride days when they want to hit the twisty, mostly paved stuff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Older Yamaha XT 225 and newer XT 250s are all the awesome.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I have had several different bikes over the years but settled on smaller CC stuff after trying one of each.  

As long as you know and understand your top comfortable cruising speed is going to be right at about 55mph or less you will be fine.

I the largest bike I ever had was a Vstrom DL1000.  I have also owned XT225, XL250R, DR650, KLR650, SV650 and various dirt bikes.

In order of smallest to largest I currently have the following.

Honda Ruckus 50cc.
Kymco Kpipe 125.
Hawk 250cc dual sport which is a China bike/ honda clone that I turned into a rat rod.
Honda rebel 250 old style.
Ural 650 with a side car.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top