Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Can't stand it when people toss out their cig butts. Extreme case: I was following an old pickup around the curve of a highway onramp when I noticed  gas was spilling out of the filler hole. He must have really topped off his tank because it was really flowing. About the time I realized I was driving over a trail of gas, a lit cig comes out of the pickup window, exploding in sparks as it hit the pavement. The fuel didn't ignite, but I have this image of "Die Hard 2" and the line of fuel to the exploding airplane in my head.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's a VERY BIG pet peeve of mine.

Consider for a moment, Gary. Riding his motorcycle down a long strech of highway, he comes upon a minivan driven by a woman just finishing her cigarette. Instead of using her dealer-provided ashtray to dispose of the still burning stick, she tosses it carelessly out her open window. The firey bundle of leaves and paper is caught by the wind and is carried back around the van, only to strike Gary in the middle of his chest. Gary feels a burning sensation and looks down to see the still burning butt making a nice hole in his shirt. This makes Gary angry. Gary grabs the throttle and gets in the left lane, to pull alongside the minivan. The offending woman, oblivious to what has transpired, is aghast when she sees Gary pull up to her window, flick the cigarette butt right into her lap, and flip her the middle finger.

That was a great ride.

"And there was much rejoicing."

Was she aiming for Gary? Or was it just a careless act?

So Gary sets things straight, pulls up and DELIBERATELY flicks the butt into the car? Was she wearing a helmet or goggles? Did it catch her in the eye? Too bad she didn't wreck, that would have been a GREAT ride  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
seeing one flicked out isn't too bad, till the one day it dawns on you as you look around, and you notice the shear volume of butts on the side of the road.  
parking lots are a horror show, and seeing where someone just opened their door and dumped a whole ashtray........fuck, one at a time out the window would have at least dispersed the mess.

can you imagine what the roads would look like if they weren't constantly being picked up?

Yes I can.
I'm the asshole in the big slow moving truck that picks them up.
Yes I flick my butts out the window...Right in fromt of the broom that sweeps them up.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can't stand it!  The only thing that perturbs me more are the one's who smoke at gas stations.  Makes me just want to walk up and bitch slap'em.  Can't you read moron, "No smoking, highly explosive" Put your life in danger when it doesn't involve me.  

+1.  Seeing people throw their butts out the window pisses me off to no end.  Smoking is bad enough, but if you do it to yourself then so be it.  But tossing that butt out because it's convenient or doesn't stink/trash up your own car just makes the rest of the world have to deal with your lame ass habit.

On the smoking at gas stations bit, I was coming home from partying one night and stopped at a gas station for some gas.  It was 3 or 4am, and there was a guy that worked at the station out at the pump wiping it down with cleaner happily smoking away.  I left immediately.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#6]
[DISCLAIMER] Yes, I think it is ignorant to toss cigarette butts out the window. Yes, I think smoking is a dumb idea and we'd all be better off without it. Unless YOU have ever tried to quit smoking, then YOU have no idea how difficult it is (for the people who nonchalantly say "oh they should just quit")

I am really surprised at the retaliatory tales for being hit by, or even seeing, a butt tossed out a car window. Guess the public schools have taught you well (smokers are worse than Islamic Terrorists!) I guess in these days of road rage, I should not be surprised. Funny how we got by all these years without having to strike back at every perceived insult, we didn't have road rage when I was younger, but now, with the "ME" generation, God help anyone else who does wrong!

(and particularly for you irate bikers, I don't crowd a bike even when he has split traffic and cut in front of me, and I have seen some of the worst driving behaviour out there from your two-wheeled brethren, consideration is a two-way street, think about that the next time you perceive a carelessly tossed cigarette as a direct assault.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Was she aiming for Gary? Or was it just a careless act?

It was a very careless act that can have unintended consequences.

She may think twice before being so careless again.

And tossing the cigarette in her car wasn't a careless act with possible unintended consequences?

No, tossing the cigarette in her car was a DELIBERATE act with possible unintended consequences.

Did she deserve the finger or getting yelled at? Sure, she needed to know what she did was dumb and possibly dangerous.

Did she deserve retaliation? You know the answer to that.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
About eight years ago in Gainesville Florida my brother and I were heading for Lake Santa Fe on a state road. I was driving and my brother was in the passenger seat. Ahead of us a driver throws out a cigarette. Even though it bothers me to see someone do it, it drives my younger brother crazy. He would usually verbally attack them if he could back then. Well he happened to have one of those huge soda drinks from a convienent store that day and it just about full. So we pull up to a red light in the turn left lane and the women who happened to throw cig but is to the right of us with window down. My brother did not tell me his intentions, but right as the light turned green he throws all the soda in her window and it goes everywhere including most on her. I will never forget the look on that womens face. I was laughing and scolding my brother at the same time. I wonder if she put two and two together about the cig butt being thrown and the 32 plus onces of soda shower.

I always wanted to pick up the butt, get to next light, and throw it back in their car saying hey you dropped this back there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Merrel

Try it. Let us know what happens.

Your brother is an asshole. Did she flick the butt in your car? No. But he thinks throwing his drink on her is a solution?

I would never try throwing it back into the car it was just a thought. Just getting out of a car to confront a person on the road is crazy.  

My brother is a much different person today. At the time he was in college and became one of those enviromental atheist.  That was the only thing of that sort of incident that happened. It even shocked me, because he had never done anything like this before. He is now a Christian and has mellowed out . He does not even use any profanity at all anymore and given the same situation he would just shake his head probably. The only connection to his previous beliefs is that he still recycles, but so do I.

I agree his actions were foolish and he acted like an ass, but it was only one incident. He is a much different person today.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Both, window and ashtray
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't smoke anymore but I was never a very good smoker.  I didn't smoke in my car or in my house etc.  I smoked on my front or back porch and put the buts in a Gatoraid bottle with a little water in it and when it got kinda full I would trash it and use a new one.  

I am glad I don't smoke anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
was just a thought. Just getting out of a car to confront a person on the road is crazy.  

My brother is a much different person today. At the time he was in college and became one of those enviromental atheist.  That was the only thing of that sort of incident that happened. It even shocked me, because he had never done anything like this before. He is now a Christian and has mellowed out . He does not even use any profanity at all anymore and given the same situation he would just shake his head probably. The only connection to his previous beliefs is that he still recycles, but so do I.

I agree his actions were foolish and he acted like an ass, but it was only one incident. He is a much different person today.

+1 on recycling (it irritates me when others do not, especially when the local governments provided recycling bins for everyone)

If you want to find a place where butts tick me off (hey, I don't like em either!) it's out hiking. The highways seem to have become a dumping ground (where do all those McDonald's wrappers come from? and the sea of bottles & cans? butts, biodegrade (after a year or two anyway) cans & bottles don't). But out hunting or on the trail, there are few things more annoying than seeing crap someone left behind, whether it's a butt or a candy wrapper or crushed beer cans. Some of the prettiest country anywhere is in Appalachia, and some people use the woods as their dumping ground.

Glad to hear your brother is getting his act together

(enough ranting for me for one day)

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Without reading any of the thread, I'll say this:\

You can dump your trash on the side of the road all you want, for all I care. It's an interstate, not a park!

"Scenic Drives" crack me up....what's so scenic about something with a big strip of ASPHALT running through it?

Having said that, when I smoked, I did not put butts out in parks, public lands, etc, etc.

Roadside litter doesn't bother me. I'd rather see it on the side of the road than have a new landfill built for it.

Be back in a minute...my flamesuit's at the alteration shop, lemme see if it's fixed.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#13]
If I smoke in my car, I use my ashtray. I simply use my right hand to hold the cigarette.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#14]
It should be a 100 dollar littering offense.  Just take a look at how many grass fires these fucktards start doing such an ignorant thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I issue few traffic citations, but that is one that is more or less guaranteed to get you one from me. I haven't smoked in at least a decade, and I never threw butts out of the car.

Amen!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I get hit by a cig butt that was flicked out by someone in a car/truck I just wait till the right time to ride by (motorcycle) and break their mirror or kick the side of the vehicle.

And no, you can't catch me -

Sounds like a dangerous action there.

I know lots of motorcyclists who have kicked doors/mirrors/etc because of idiot drivers.  When you're stuck at a light the motorcyclist can kick your mirror off then go through traffic and be long gone before you can go anywhere.  That's what I hear anyway
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#17]
One day, while driving around KC, I'm stopped at a light and this fat bitch parked to my right flicks a lit cig that lands on the hood of my newish truck!!!

I got out and just ripped her a new one!  I yelled at the top of my lungs that I would kick the shit our of her if I found a brun mark on the paint, and that I didn't GAF about her BF/husband/lover/whatever.

I was so fucking pissed.....

Smokers, you chose to smoke.  You car already smells like shit.  The only reason you don't think so is because your nose and lungs are plugged with shit.  So put that damn butt in your ashtray where it belongs.

What filthy fucking habit, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#18]
lazy, nasty, and inconsiderate
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Yea right, try getting a motorcycle license plate number from a motorcycle as I am accelerating away from you.
Better have Superman vision bucko...

Quoted:
Actually yes, I do throw my smoke on my own lawn.  I am also the one that picks them up.

Throwing a butt out the window so it hits someone is rude.

Breaking the mirror is even ruder....and stupid since I have a license plate number now.

SGatr1`5

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#20]
not again good christ
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I smoke in my car,  never use the ashtray.  I carry a little waterbottle half full and put my butts in there,  when it will no longer hold any more I throw it out and buy another bottle of water.

Charlie
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yea right, try getting a motorcycle license plate number from a motorcycle as I am accelerating away from you.
Better have Superman vision bucko...

Quoted:
Actually yes, I do throw my smoke on my own lawn.  I am also the one that picks them up.

Throwing a butt out the window so it hits someone is rude.

Breaking the mirror is even ruder....and stupid since I have a license plate number now.

SGatr1`5

ALready have it since I saw you coming up behind me.  As soon as I saw you next to me I looked over.

I remember numbers well.

Like I said, hitting a driver or rider by throwing out a cig is rude.  I agree with you on that part.  But somehow, some people think that damaging my property is okay.

Whatever.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I smoke in my car,  never use the ashtray.  I carry a little waterbottle half full and put my butts in there,  when it will no longer hold any more I throw it out and buy another bottle of water.

Charlie

If only most other smokers were like you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Not ok.  Not at all.  And this from someone who occasionally smokes in my work truck.  When I do, I knock the fire off outside and drop the butt into the floorboard until my next stop where it goes into the trash.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Mankind is dwindling natural resources and polluting the enviroment at a pace too fast for anyone to possibly reverse it.

All the recycling and highway cleanups you want - it does nothing but delay the inevitable.

The world is doomed.  We're all gonna die.  What's the point.  Who cares.  Hillary will one day run for president.  Elvis is dead.

Just kidding.  Flicking butts is stupid.  Don't be a butthead.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Filthy f-ing habit. But Flickers deserve whatever retaliation they inspire.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Considering I helped stomp out a fire on the side of the freeway caused by a cigarette butt, I'd say I'm solidly against tossing cigarette butts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I always love when some inconsiderate asshole flicks their butts into my yard. It makes a real fucking mess when you run over them with the lawnmower.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It bugs the heck out of me!  I often wondered if it was considered littering or not.

I was sitting at a light a few years back and this idiot flicks his butt out his window and hit the side of my car.  So I took my large drink that I just purchased and threw it at his car.  He just gave me this puzzled look and gave me the bird.

All I see coming from this is a wasted beverage and a guy that still didn't learn his lesson.

And KA3B must have read that technique somewhere and copied it

Works better with a chocolate shake.

CW
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#31]
These asshole hit my car doing that shit , they almost got there ass kicked, and made them look like a pussy infront of there girls....

Be careful out there, you dont know who is having a BAD day....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#32]

For those of you smokers who are displaying a martyr complex in this thread:  I don't think anyone cares if you smoke - it's your choice.

The problem is with these slobs who dump their garbage out of their car, specifically cig butts in this case.  Those who litter as a regular part of their behavior are displaying a lack of class and a lack of respect for anyone else, IMO.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Tobacco is still legal?  Hard to believe....

Can't we ban it ....for the children...?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I fricken hate people who throw butts out the window or anything else for that matter. I ride a motorcycle and I have enough flying crap to deal with let along a lit butt. Someone does it and it hits me I pull ahead and let loose with a 3/4 inch ball bearing. Fair is fair. Yes not a nice thing to do and dangerous but so is blinding me because youre too dam lazy to use the ashtray.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

yeah thats it  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If I get hit by a cig butt that was flicked out by someone in a car/truck I just wait till the right time to ride by (motorcycle) and break their mirror or kick the side of the vehicle.

thats got to be the dumbest thing i've ever read,  I doubt you do that anyways (internet tough guy talk)
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#41]
[RodneyKing]Can't we all just get along?[/RodneyKing]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Hehehe, you don't know me at all.

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats got to be the dumbest thing i've ever read,  I doubt you do that anyways (internet tough guy talk)

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Hehehe, you don't know me at all.

Quoted:

Quoted:

no and I wouldnt want to
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The world is not your ashtray you fucking pigs.

This is worth repeating.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#47]
You guys crack me up, do you think that a cigarrete butt is worse than the amount of lead that we put into the earth????
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#48]
My philosophy when I smoked was simply this:

In City areas they HAVE to sweep the streets anyway.  Dirt, dust, rocks, etc.   So I would flick cigarettes out in town, making sure they hit the ground straightaway so as not to cause a problem.   The street sweepers will be sweeping the streets regardless of whether my cigs are there.   I call it the problem of the commons.  DOn't really have any regrets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You guys crack me up, do you think that a cigarrete butt is worse than the amount of lead that we put into the earth????

Who is?

Tell me and I will kick there ass!!!!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

+1
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top