Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I am climbing on the floatplane for Yakutat AK at 7:30AM AK time today.   The USFS in the North region of the Tongass has pretty much abandoned 12 ga shotguns in favor of using short barreled .375 HH.  

I have worked up there since March and despite there being bears, and seeing bear beds, have not seen a bear on the ground all summer.  I have been lugging nothing bigger than a .357 around and fully expect to die fighting if a bear decides to take it out on me.  Knock on wood.

I worked on Catherine Island (the ABC island complex where there are nothing but brown bears), and we again did not see a bear all field season, primarily I expect b/c I was crew leader and was shouting every 20s like i had a kidney stone.

I feel a pistol can stop a bear.  That being said, a guide in P-burg lost his foot this year to a bear after following up with a  .416 rifle.  

There are some pictures of large bears in the Hoonah area nicknamed "Wellfare" and "Bent Nose."
I would not want to mess with any bear of *any* size let alone one of the big browns with *any* gun.  Too many variables.  

Stick with the schlitz and the Chee-tos
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
BTW, re: the bearspray.

We are shown footage where a brown bear is juiced with bear spray out on a gravel bar.  He turns away but returns in 5minutes and rolls in the sprayed area, presumably b/c he likes the smell.  

Spray is not at all recommended by studies as being effective on black bears.  

My take:  Bear spray can't hurt.  It might startle the bear into leaving.  But if the bear is really stalking you, it's gunfire time.  

Biologist in Yak's take after doing MS on non-lethal bear deterrent on POW island on black bears:  
Deterrent isn't reliable.  He is sticking with firearms, and large ones.  

also interesting is the footage of a brown bear climbing a tree quite successfully.  They are probably not as good at it as black bears, but at least some of them climb.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll take a .44 Mag Carbine with HOT handloads. Problem with commercial .44 ammo is its looaded for handguns. Rifles can handle a hotter load, so gimme those rifle loaded .44 Mags in a Trapper series carbine. Course, if a BIG bear (Kodiak or some such) is charging me, there isnt a hand held weapon big enough to make me feel comfortable aside from a RPG or LAW rocket. But, I'd feel I had a fighting chance with the .44 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...is your preferred firearm of choice??

Shotgun - would present the biggest pattern of projectiles more like to get the bears attention

or

Handgun - deliver the most single point impact

I heard somewhere a bears metabolism is different that a humans -  they don't bleed out from a single gunshot wound.

Also heard bear spray would be more effective than a handgun, and that several shots would be necesary froma  handgun.

Thoughts??

MOAB
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:51:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
AKM with a 75 round drum.

+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd probably scream like a little girl and run  

I'm kidding.  I'm pretty sure the most I'd be running into here would be a black bear.  And I have no idea what I'd want to have with me if I did.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd probably scream like a little girl and run  

I'm kidding.  I'm pretty sure the most I'd be running into here would be a black bear.  And I have no idea what I'd want to have with me if I did.

Your gun of course. Bears are secret DU agents. He would attack you, take your gun and eat you arms off so you couldnt vote.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
500 nitro express Purdey Double
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Geeze.. Your all scared of bears.

Perhaps you haven't seen what a bear can do to human flesh.
It eats it.  All of it.  To the bone.

Somehow they know to avoid your privates though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
On the East Coast, bear attacks are almost non-existent. The Black Bears around here, while still wild and potentially dangerous, just haven't got much interest in people other than stealing their food, trash, an occasional small pet.  Mostly they eat slugs and bugs and berries and the like.   Black bears out west are a different matter with a whole different temperament. They eat more meat and are more aggressive. A .357 is probably enough medicine for an Eastern Black.  Out west I'd be looking for somethign with more Ooomph.

That said, I've done a pile of hiking in the East, and never even seen a bear in the woods.  I've seen a few in or near people's yards, tearing up bird feeders and trash cans and compost piles.   When I have heard of bears being a problem for hikers up and down the trail near me, it didn't take much questioning to find out that the folks so "victimized" by theiving bears violated all the rules.  They had food in their packs, kept the packs in their tents, and didn't hang their foodbags, toiletries etc. properly in the trees.   Bear bag properly and the bears may still get your stuff, but they won't tear up your tent and molest you.  

Bottom line:  You really don't need a gun for hiking in the east.  I also know hikers who've done a LOT of hiking up the Continental Divide and Pacific Crest Trails without ever seeing a dangerous bear.  Poison Oak seemed to be a bigger threat to them than even the rattlesnakes. I'd probably take my chances, but  then I might also take a compact  .45 ACP loaded as hot as possible, and spend the money for either a stainless pistol or a good corrosion resistant coating to minimize my maintenance requirements.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I always carried a short barrel Mossberg 500 AND my .44 Mag while stationed in AK.  First 2 shots in the scattergun were 7 1/2 birdshot, the rest sabot slugs.  

I figured the first shot would be a noisemaker to hopefully scare it away.  second shot would go to the face and hope like hell to blind it.  

(The .44 was to shoot my fishing buddy with so I could be sure of outrunning him.)

A .380 would be enough to get you a head start on him... Plus it's lighter

I once had the idea to load one 7 1/2 birdshot with the intent of blinding it, but I think if it's that close - I'm already 'ed. However, I do carry a few birdshot with me just in case I get treed or hold up... That way I can blind him (and hopefully ruin his SoS too) with a couple rapid shots and give myself a bit of an upper hand........But he no doubt will be very pissed at me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
500 nitro express Purdey Double

+1  

Or, if I can only have a shotgun or revolver.....

S&W .500 mag.

Want something I can use in close quarters if need be...shotgun might be cumbersome if treed by the bear...

If it's climbing the tree below you and you have the big ole Smith....I think a blast from it would be very effective. May not kill it on the first shot, but it would ruin it's day....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Bear Spray.  As far as Handguns, at least with Browns - or any sow with cubs - You might as well throw the gun at the bear and hope it gets lodged in his throat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]
When the bear chases you ,reach back and grab a big handfull of shit then sling it into his eyes, blinding him. dont worry about the shit, it WILL be there!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top