Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What a damn disaster of a headline.  Even aside from bias, journalism has really gone to hell.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:

Ah, yes.  A description from the same people that gave us Russiagate, as well as about a dozen other manufactured scandals.  A description from the same prosecutor that used a novel application of the law to indict a Virginia governor because it looked like me might be a threat with presidential ambitions.  (Conviction overturned 8-0 by the Supremes.)  From his Wiki, "In July 2011, he married Katy Chevigny,[33] a documentary filmmaker[34] known for Becoming, a 2020 documentary about Michelle Obama. "   In other words, a Democrat Lawfare hitman.  

You bailed from the last thread where a lawyer that is highly experienced in Federal law showed up.  As I recall he used the term "Barracks Lawyer" in describing you.   He also gave some perspective on the narratives that prosecutors will spin in order to try their case in the media.  Like those pictures of documents all over the floor at Mara Lago, indicating haphazard storage.  But of course we know that wasn't the case.  Why, the EFFFBEYE themselves inspected those facilities just before they raided the place.  That team only required an additional lock.  

Trump's greatest qualification in my eyes are the enemies he has made.  

View Quote

If you want to contend the information contained within the indictment is faked, I certainly can't refute that.

As to the other, I have no idea what you are talking about.  The only lawyer I've seen substantially participate in these threads is Ad Lucem, and we pretty much have been on the same page with most things.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

Whether they were declassified by Trump or not, is irrelevant.

At some point, the documents were classified.  And the definition of classified material makes them mutually exclusive from them being Trump's personal material.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

He's never had a security clearance that permitted him to classify and declassify documents at his whim and neither have you. That rather changes things when you're potus, mishandling of classified documents becomes impossible to prove.

Prosecute all the rest though.

Whether they were declassified by Trump or not, is irrelevant.

At some point, the documents were classified.  And the definition of classified material makes them mutually exclusive from them being Trump's personal material.

I’m not sure I agree with this. Information about the POTUS schedule is classified. If a meeting with a military member of another country is on that schedule the meeting is of a military nature. But, after the meeting, when the POTUS wants the schedule for his “Memoirs” to be included in his library, etc, POTUS would have the ability to declassify the schedule at a whim. Not necessarily the content of the meeting but his attendance IS personal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

You’re the one hung up on the word “personal”

He can declassify and keep those unclassified documents, regardless of the subject.
View Quote

Section 18 of the USC, under which he has been charged, disagrees.

The "personal document" aspect is only relevant because that is what Trump's attorney's are invoking as his defense.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cycletool:

I’m not sure I agree with this. Information about the POTUS schedule is classified. If a meeting with a military member of another country is on that schedule the meeting is of a military nature. But, after the meeting, when the POTUS wants the schedule for his “Memoirs” to be included in his library, etc, POTUS would have the ability to declassify the schedule at a whim. Not necessarily the content of the meeting but his attendance IS personal.
View Quote

Declassifed =/= personal property.

He wasn't charged with keeping classified information.  He was charged with "Willful Retention of National Defense Information".
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
lol arguing that military and intelligence related documents are “personal” is clownshoes retarded.
View Quote

Maybe.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]

100%. The answer is complete accountability, not an abdication of it.

When Trump told Hillary Clinton “because you’d be in jail”, I became an unabashed supporter.
View Quote

Hold on there high-speed. The president is not like the vice president or any cabinet official. The president is the executive and the purpose of military and intelligence information is for the executive to make decisions. You assume too much here. Or perhaps you failed to make the distinction. Seems like we’ve been over this before.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Well if something is classified, or previously classified, that’s a good clue it’s not a personal document.
View Quote

I’m not gonna get into the difference difference between a presidential or federal record versus a copy. I have no desire to educate anyone on the PRA or the FRA at this time. If the president has decided to declassify the document, he can keep it. He is/was the executive. Only other presidents can make that claim.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]

lol you’ve never had a security clearance, have you?
View Quote

Lol, you’ve never had to advise flag or general officers, or cabinet level officials on these issues, let alone work with White House Counsel on them, have you?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Go back and read what I posted slowly.  Then read it again.  If you are still confused, I'll clarify it for you.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By El_Abogado:

Hold on there high-speed. The president is not like the vice president or any cabinet official. The president is the executive and the purpose of military and intelligence information is for the executive to make decisions. You assume too much here. Or perhaps you failed to make the distinction. Seems like we’ve been over this before.
View Quote

Sure.  And when you stop being the president, the information ceases to be yours, either for your retention or your action.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm sure he will try to make that argument, as absurd as it is.
View Quote

If something is classified, the president can declassify it. You don’t doubt that do you? There are plenty of times when presence spur of the moment without some intricate review process have made fax that were classified publicly available. Think about BHO and the hit on bin Laden.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#15]
If Biden just got a free pass as did every other president or vice president in the past, only a biased court would ONLY prosecute Trump.

Of course Biden got a pass because even the court agreed he was basically a drooling retard who couldn't defend himself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Title 18 does not “disagree.”

There is no law against retaining unclassified documents.
View Quote

How do you interpret the 18 USC 793 statute under which he has been charged? It doesn't mention classified information.  It mentions national defense information.  Which is the precise verbiage for counts 1-31 of the indictment.

Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]

How do you interpret the 18 USC 793 statute under which he has been charged? It doesn't mention classified information.  It mentions national defense information.  Which is the precise verbiage for counts 1-31 of the indictment.

Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it
View All Quotes

Title 18 does not “disagree.”

There is no law against retaining unclassified documents.

According to the PRA, Trump is the one that decides if an officer or employee is entitled to receive a document.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]

The "personal document" aspect is only relevant because that is what Trump's attorney's are invoking as his defense.
View All Quotes

You’re the one hung up on the word “personal”

He can declassify and keep those unclassified documents, regardless of the subject.

It matters particularly in that the original discovery of classified documents was pursuant to a subpoena from an agency that doesn’t have the authority to subpoena the records.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Sure.  And when you stop being the president, the information ceases to be yours, either for your retention or your action.
View Quote

Only the President decides which records are personal or not.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

It matters particularly in that the original discovery of classified documents was pursuant to a subpoena from an agency that doesn’t have the authority to subpoena the records.
View Quote

A federal grand jury can't subpoena the target of an FBI investigation?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Then why the need for "personal records" and "presidential records" to be defined and codified in the United States Code, if the president can simply do what he wants?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

NARA.

Also, Trump has specific authority at the time to have classified information as is the norm with ex Presidents. The whole thing started as a fight over copies of records, at least some of which were duplicates and therefore of no legitimate interest to NARA.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Then why the need for "personal records" and "presidential records" to be defined and codified in the United States Code, if the president can simply do what he wants?
View All Quotes

The President is the one that decides if a record is personal or presidential.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Because the expectation is that the chief executive will be a mature individual acting in good faith and the problems inherent in the balance between branches. A case could be made that Congress has no authority to demand the President’s records at all. And the Court may decide it’s an unjusticiable question.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]

NARA.

Also, Trump has specific authority at the time to have classified information as is the norm with ex Presidents. The whole thing started as a fight over copies of records, at least some of which were duplicates and therefore of no legitimate interest to NARA.
View Quote

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the subpoena was from a federal grand jury stemming from an FBI investigation, not from the archivist over a PRA dispute.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#26]

When Trump told Hillary Clinton "because you'd be in jail", I became an unabashed supporter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jon101st:

Then every President, Vp, and secretary of state and so on get charged and prosecuted or none at all.

When Trump told Hillary Clinton "because you'd be in jail", I became an unabashed supporter.

Love all the talk here about prosecuting ex-presidents and ex-candidates. But as soon as Trump is involved, it's all "the President must be immune from prosecution."

Trump above the law. No Courts can touch em.. GOOD!

Everybody else.... BAD! And a recipe for dictatorship

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the subpoena was from a federal grand jury stemming from an FBI investigation, not from the archivist over a PRA dispute.
View All Quotes

NARA.

You are wrong.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/politics/doj-investigation-trump-documents-timeline/index.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:

Love all the talk here about prosecuting ex-presidents and ex-candidates. But as soon as Trump is involved, it's all "the President must be immune from prosecution."

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Originally Posted By jon101st:

Then every President, Vp, and secretary of state and so on get charged and prosecuted or none at all.

Either prosecute everyone, or prosecute nobody. It isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Um, that article confirmed the justice department subpoenaed Trump, not the NARA.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I may be wrong, when that was all
Originally being reported there was confusion.

Doesn’t matter either way. No agency can subpoena a record that the President has claimed is personal, and the search warrant to search for “Presidential Records” is problematic on those grounds as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Um, that article confirmed the justice department subpoenaed Trump, not the NARA.

View All Quotes

Um, the article confirmed that NARA started all of this. There wouldn't have been an investigation if not for NARA.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#33]

“…could be used to the injury of the United States…”

That’s the definition of classified.

Could your military ID be used by a foreign adversary to do damage to the United States?
View Quote

If something is TS/SCI, it could cause exceptionally grave damage to national security if disclosed.  If a president waives his hand to declassify it, does the information automatically become meaningless? No, of course not. If the president declassified humint sources in foreign nations, is that all of a sudden information inconsequential to national security?  Because that’s pretty much the argument you are making. And precisely why I’d imagine the USC uses the specific verbiage it does.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#34]
It is sickening seeing enemies of our Republic so brazen.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#35]

You're the one hung up on the word "personal"

View Quote

He didn't declassify them. The words came out of his mouth.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#36]

If something is TS/SCI, it could cause exceptionally grave damage to national security if disclosed.  If a president waives his hand to declassify it, does the information automatically become meaningless? No, of course not. If the president declassified humint sources in foreign nations, is that all of a sudden information inconsequential to national security?  Because that’s pretty much the argument you are making. And precisely why I’d imagine the USC uses the specific verbiage it does.
View All Quotes

Could your military ID be used by a foreign adversary to do damage to the United States?

So President declassifies satellite imagery and then the FBI can prosecute anyone that has that declassified imagery?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Doesn’t matter either way. No agency can subpoena a record that the President has claimed is personal, and the search warrant to search for “Presidential Records” is problematic on those grounds as well.
View Quote

Ok, so we have reduced the conversation to saying “the president can declare nuclear secrets, foreign military capabilities, and military operational plans as personal records, and do with them as he pleases”?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Ok, so we have reduced the conversation to saying “the president can declare nuclear secrets, foreign military capabilities, and military operational plans as personal records, and do with them as he pleases”?
View All Quotes

Also known as the truth.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
lol arguing that military and intelligence related documents are “personal” is clownshoes retarded.
View Quote

Arguing that a POTUS doesn’t have the ability to declassify them is even bigger clown shoes. Also that a POTUS doesn’t have immunity over decisions made while in office, which is the crux of the Marxist position, is a fool’s errand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Um, the article confirmed that NARA started all of this. There wouldn't have been an investigation if not for NARA.
View Quote

Wasn’t the question. The question was over subpoena powers.  And yes, the DOJ does have subpoena power, which is who issued it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

The law here is deficient. If you take the Espionage Act literally and don’t consider the later laws pertaining to the modern system of classification, there is no method for declassification and a FOIA request would come with a free raid at the end.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

With the exception of Restricted Data, yes.

Just wait until you find out how a Land Patent works.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#45]

If you want to contend the information contained within the indictment is faked, I certainly can't refute that.

As to the other, I have no idea what you are talking about.  The only lawyer I've seen substantially participate in these threads is Ad Lucem, and we pretty much have been on the same page with most things.
View Quote

Perhaps not faked, but certainly presented in the most damning light possible.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Also known as the truth.
View Quote

Well, a federal grand jury seemingly disagreed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Wasn’t the question. The question was over subpoena powers.  And yes, the DOJ does have subpoena power, which is who issued it.
View All Quotes

Wrong again.

NARA.

"The whole thing started as a fight over copies of records, at least some of which were duplicates and therefore of no legitimate interest to NARA."
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#49]

He wasn't charged with keeping classified information.  He was charged with "Willful Retention of National Defense Information".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cycletool:

Agreed. The problem I see with this process is that the info will never be made known to any of us what it actually is. So us saying it can or can’t be declassified is us arguing about something we don’t know the nature of.

My comment was specifically geared toward wether or not classified material of a “military” nature could be personal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 48
Top Top