Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Renewal can't be passed after 9/13.

Sure it can.

They just strike and amend the original sunset clause.   Even a sunset bill stays "on the books."   I can dig into it if you want, but Congress has "revived" a sunset law after teh fact with a tiny technical amendment on many an occasion.

What would happen is that there would be a period after 9/13 and before the effective date of the new bill where the law is on the books but sunset, and then the new law would take effect.  People couldn't be prosecuted for conduct during the interim period.  

So then what's the big deal over the 9/13 date?  If they can just slip an ammendment in anytime to change the date in the original statute and no other language changes how do we get to keep what we bought on 9/14?  There will be no text authorizing that.  If they can just pass an extension after the sunset I can't see why we are getting all excited here.

That kinda irritates me if that's true.

The big deal is that any time period between the 13th, when the enactment sunsets, and the date they effectively amend it to reinstate the ban would be decriminalized.  So long as you could prove you bought or modified your weapons during that time, you would be immune from prosecution becuase the legislative history would reflect that the statute was not in effect and bindng at that time.

of course they could just pass a law saying "anything you bought/made after the sunset date is banned and needs to be turned in or made to comply with the law ... chop chop slave"

hell they could pass a law saying turn them all in, pre-ban, post-ban, no-ban etc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I said that to this one guy and he said "Nu uh!!! they can't do that!". To which I replied: "Who's going to stop them?"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Homeland Security Bill SHOULD be the place where they COMMEMORATE the passing of the AWB.  Our Native Brothers would agree.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the updates, gang.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
18:57 eastern time update: Senators rambling on about hurricane, natural disasters, and other things requiring federal assistance.  So far so good
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets get a bump and a tack.

It would be great if we could have coverage of the Senate and House untill the ban dies. We could change the date and keep this thread.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
DASCHLE on now TALKING ABOUT "Amendments that may push the limits" of a unanimous consent agreement re the HOmeland Security Bill.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]
FRIST says they "WILL consider amendments that are appropriate for Homeland Security"
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Frist just said "goal" is to get HS Bill to president as soon as possible,.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
WTF, 10 min. about ESPN
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I love that the whole schtick about ESPN was deemed part of "morning busines"

At 7:PM DC time, of course.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
We're in a quorum call right now.  What was the last business?  I'm in the pacific time zone and was in a meeting for the past little while.

BoB
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We're in a quorum call right now.  What was the last business?  I'm in the pacific time zone and was in a meeting for the past little while.

BoB

talk about ESPN
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#14]
they just said the will start the ammending process tom. morning and to expect roll call votes.
Senate is adjourning for the night.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Boy the SENATE is working LATE.  

They're going to adjourn to 10:30 next AM.

McConnel up talking about an hour of Morning business for Statements only.

Homeland Security Appropriations Bill will then move forward.  

Weekly party luncheons after that.

WILL BEGIN AMENDING PROCESS WEDS MORNING.

"THOSE SENATORS WHO WISH TO ADD AMENDMENTS SHOULD CONTACT BILL MANAGER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE."

Just did second reading on the 911 Commission bill, then adjouned for the day.

They'll reup at 10:30 AM.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#16]
For y'alls information:

Here's the GPO office documents with the "SENATE CALENDAR OF BUSINESS"

www.access.gpo.gov/congress/browse-sc.html

Here's the "THOMAS" web page where you can look up legislation:  thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.html

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Much obliged
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"THOSE SENATORS WHO WISH TO ADD AMENDMENTS SHOULD CONTACT BILL MANAGER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE."

OK, just a little background.  The HS bill is H.R.4567.  It was passed by the house on 6/18/04 by a 400-5 vote.  As this is a house bill, if it is amended at all in the Senate, it must go to a conference committee.  We have our best chance to have the AWB stripped off should it get this far.  However, some have said that house rules forbid amendments that are non-germaine wrt appropriations bills.  If this is true, it is certain to get stripped off.  My gut tells me that we're OK on this front, but I'm still worried.

Opinions?

BoB
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, just a little background.  The HS bill is H.R.4567.  It was passed by the house on 6/18/04 by a 400-5 vote.  As this is a house bill, if it is amended at all in the Senate, it must go to a conference committee.  We have our best chance to have the AWB stripped off should it get this far.  However, some have said that house rules forbid amendments that are non-germaine wrt appropriations bills.  If this is true, it is certain to get stripped off.  My gut tells me that we're OK on this front, but I'm still worried.

Opinions?

BoB

Call, e-mail, fax and pray. We're not out of the woods yet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opinions?

BoB

Call, e-mail, fax and pray. We're not out of the woods yet.

The next few days could like the "Battle of the Buldge".... where the enemy will try to break through.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#21]
A morning quote from Senator Feinstein to settle you all down:

www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/politics/2783410

"Absent the president twisting arms, it's nil," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., of the chances to get a bill passed before midnight Monday, when the law expires.

While some House members are expected to try to attach the ban to another "must-pass" bill this session, a pragmatic Feinstein said the fight is over for now. She vowed to re-introduce an assault weapons ban next year."

I still wouldn't base my actions on trusting Feinstein's public statements; but it is a good sign all the same.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

"Absent the president twisting arms, it's nil," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., of the chances to get a bill passed before midnight Monday, when the law expires.

While some House members are expected to try to attach the ban to another "must-pass" bill this session, a pragmatic Feinstein said the fight is over for now. She vowed to re-introduce an assault weapons ban next year."

I still wouldn't base my actions on trusting Feinstein's public statements; but it is a good sign all the same.

What, is she planning to do it when she knows it can pass..... as in, they are hoping Kerry wins????
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:59:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That does not make me calmer, it makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#25]
This would appear to be the dim-o-craps new strategy as far as the Klinton Ban goes. Have you noticed the Skerry is trying to get photo-ops of him with a duck gun?

He can't afford to piss-off the southern dim-o-craps right now by passing the renewed ban. I'm not saying to let our guard down now, but I don't think that Skerry wants to make this an issue this close to the election. IMHO
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#26]
General senate proceedings don't start until 10:30 today.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top