Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a straight, white American male . . . so no.  

ETA:  One of my cars is a 4Runner, so it's not that I'm anti-Japanese vehicles - in fact, I think they're great.  I just think that anything "tuner" related is self-advertising that the driver has Low-T.  
View Quote

I grew up in the FF era and would LOVE a R34.  Ive honestly never been into American muscle cars.

Oh that Celica below is fantastic, too. Waiting for an Integra GTR to show up!

I bought an Acura RSX TypeS when I graduated college. LOVED that car. So much fun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ETA:  One of my cars is a 4Runner, so it's not that I'm anti-Japanese vehicles - in fact, I think they're great.  I just think that anything "tuner" related is self-advertising that the driver has Low-T.  
View Quote

Being against vehicle modifications to make them go faster is some beta male California leftist homo shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think it would be fun to have one of those and get a rural route mail delivery gig. All wheel drive manual transmission with tons of power. That would be a really fun mail car.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My son has a 1997 FTO GPX that he imported.  They are fast cars.  He wants to take the electronic speed controller off and I won't let him (he is 17).  Without the limiter the top speed id 174mph.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58657/1000001360_jpg-3170834.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of partial to the Mitsubishi FTO myself...
My son has a 1997 FTO GPX that he imported.  They are fast cars.  He wants to take the electronic speed controller off and I won't let him (he is 17).  Without the limiter the top speed id 174mph.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58657/1000001360_jpg-3170834.JPG

That is cool.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to look and see what they actually want for those 25 year old cars. Clapped out GTTs for 40K+, pretty much any R34 with 2 doors is stupid money for a mass produced Nissan.

I have owned two R32 GTRs. They are absolute money pits; fun when they are running right but every bit of it is expensive.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No.  Nissan = Shit.  Right hand drive = Shit. And they are ugly.  

Send 2nd gen Supra's instead.  Oops, I meant 4th gen LOL!
View Quote

That may be one the top 50 dumbest posts I've read here in the 20+ years I've been on arfcom. Damn....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good.

The epa is a cancer on the car community country.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A 25+ yo Japanese import for less than a new mustang? You don't say.

No wonder the jap dealers are pulling their junk trash for Americans willing to pay top dollar. These things are just sitting in garages and lots over there.
View Quote

This is the boomiest of all boomer posts
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good.

The epa is a cancer on the car community
View Quote
Agreed, but you could've just stopped at cancer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get one out on a twisty country road and get your heart rate and adrenaline going. They’re anything but low-T.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Being against vehicle modifications to make them go faster is some beta male California leftist homo shit.
View Quote

1) You've got it flipped on its head.  The "tuner" culture is the "beta California Leftist homo shit."  Hell, it's almost defined that way.  
2) I'm fully in favor of modifying cars to go faster.  I used to own a Porsche and if I would have had the time back then, I would have loved to modified it to track it.

ETA:  Is this an actual picture of you, @OdieGreen

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Y'all need Jesus.
View Quote

Jesus would drive the wheels off an R34.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That may be one the top 50 dumbest posts I've read here in the 20+ years I've been on arfcom. Damn....
View Quote

I am not advocating in anyway that the rest of you all shouldn't be buying these things up and enjoying them. I am just responding to OP's question of, will I purchase one?  No I will not purchase one. I   do not like Nissans no matter how fast their potential is. Also I despise right hand drive cars and lastly they are in my opinion way overrated in the looks department.  But for the rest of you that like them, have at it!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Now do 70 series.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
It won’t be that many.  Only around 11,500 were produced.  Many will remain overseas, others are in junkyards, I would bet only a couple thousand make it over here at best and the price will be ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Get one out on a twisty country road and get your heart rate and adrenaline going. They’re anything but low-T.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thought we were still talking about 4runners. That would definitely get your heart rate up, but not in a fun way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

]
View Quote

Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
It'll be cool to see a R34 GTR on the street, but I'll never be able to afford one.

The prices will be astronomical. And feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think a lot of the cars shown in the OP are already spoken for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1) You've got it flipped on its head.  The "tuner" culture is the "beta California Leftist homo shit."  Hell, it's almost defined that way.  
2) I'm fully in favor of modifying cars to go faster.  I used to own a Porsche and if I would have had the time back then, I would have loved to modified it to track it.

ETA:  Is this an actual picture of you, @OdieGreen

https://i.postimg.cc/ht8bWXYd/temp-Image-TLdim-Y.avif
View Quote

You really went to the trouble of finding the perfect picture in Google to come up with that lame ass insult?

Leftists hate modified vehicles, like you do. The only “T” you get these days comes in the form of a blue pill. You had a Porsche which you didn’t modify or track, yet you’re talking shit about people modifying a car to use on the track, and one that would spank the shit out of your Porsche at that.

Boom on somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Peeps forget thr GT-R reborn in '89:started as a Group A Rally homologation development program. Huge power, AWD, Aero. It came in too heavy and non-nimble to be competitive, so to rescue the dev outlay Nissan made it a consumer centered, no holds barred, fire-breathing Godzilla.

View Quote

Just a small correction; FIA Group A Rally, and JTC Group A Touring while both being based on FIA Group A generalities, aren’t the same thing.

The R32 wasn’t a Rally homologation, it was literally purpose designed and built to dominate in JTC Class A Touring.

There’s a reason the RB26DETT is a 2.6l twin turbo. It was designed specifically with the Group A Touring regulations in mind, where tire size was related to/dictated by engine size. They ran the calculations for the tire size they wanted for the chassis, and decided that 2.6l with twin turbos, was the maximum displacement.

The reason for the mythical status was the R32 annihilating the competition from its debut. From 1990 to 1993, R32s (from various teams) literally won every single one of the 29 Group A races, to the point JTCC Group A Touring was discontinued, as other manufacturers were pulling out of the competition because they couldn’t compete.

The newly renamed 1994 JGTC classes were specifically setup so the GT-R couldn’t dominate anymore.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Leftists hate modified vehicles, like you do. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I modified my 4runner.  So . . . you're wrong.  Also - please provide me one example - any example whatsoever - that "Leftists hate modified vehicles".  Maybe they do, but that's not something I've ever heard.  Maybe I'll learn something from you (I very much doubt, but it's possible).

Quoted:
The only “T” you get these days comes in the form of a blue pill.

I'm not there yet (probably another 20 years or so), but I'll take your word for it.

Quoted:
You had a Porsche which you didn’t modify or track, yet you’re talking shit about people modifying a car to use on the track, and one that would spank the shit out of your Porsche at that.

I guess reading comprehension isn't your thing?  I said it was the culture.

Also, LOL at measuring the total value of a car by how fast it goes.  You're only proving my point about the culture.  "wAnNa RaCe fOr sLiPs, bRuH?"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just a small correction; FIA Group A Rally, and JTC Group A Touring while both being based on FIA Group A generalities, aren't the same thing.

The R32 wasn't a Rally homologation, it was literally purpose designed and built to dominate in JTC Class A Touring.

There's a reason the RB26DETT is a 2.6l twin turbo. It was designed specifically with the Group A Touring regulations in mind, where tire size was related to/dictated by engine size. They ran the calculations for the tire size they wanted for the chassis, and decided that 2.6l with twin turbos, was the maximum displacement.

The reason for the mythical status was the R32 annihilating the competition from its debut. From 1990 to 1993, R32s (from various teams) literally won every single one of the 29 Group A races, to the point JTCC Group A Touring was discontinued, as other manufacturers were pulling out of the competition because they couldn't compete.

The newly renamed 1994 JGTC classes were specifically setup so the GT-R couldn't dominate anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peeps forget thr GT-R reborn in '89:started as a Group A Rally homologation development program. Huge power, AWD, Aero. It came in too heavy and non-nimble to be competitive, so to rescue the dev outlay Nissan made it a consumer centered, no holds barred, fire-breathing Godzilla.

Just a small correction; FIA Group A Rally, and JTC Group A Touring while both being based on FIA Group A generalities, aren't the same thing.

The R32 wasn't a Rally homologation, it was literally purpose designed and built to dominate in JTC Class A Touring.

There's a reason the RB26DETT is a 2.6l twin turbo. It was designed specifically with the Group A Touring regulations in mind, where tire size was related to/dictated by engine size. They ran the calculations for the tire size they wanted for the chassis, and decided that 2.6l with twin turbos, was the maximum displacement.

The reason for the mythical status was the R32 annihilating the competition from its debut. From 1990 to 1993, R32s (from various teams) literally won every single one of the 29 Group A races, to the point JTCC Group A Touring was discontinued, as other manufacturers were pulling out of the competition because they couldn't compete.

The newly renamed 1994 JGTC classes were specifically setup so the GT-R couldn't dominate anymore.

They certainly are not. This anecdote was related to me here and as I'm not nearly the GT-R guy many are, I assumed Group A Rally when the reasoning indicated shortcoming, as I was aware of the rampant JTC success. So either language barriers created a misunderstanding and my poor assumptions, or I missed something important. Regardless I appreciate the correction and details I was missing.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Now do 70 series.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

They've been importable for a bit

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now do 70 series.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0480_jpeg-3171019.JPG

I mean flood the market, so I can afford one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Now do 70 series.
View Quote

They are not that expensive if that's what you're after.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now do 70 series.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_0480_jpeg-3171019.JPG

Lol, I feel ya.  Still they ain't crazy spendy. Except that one in Jupiter we just did a thread on. $350k ish. LOLOL

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Y'all need Jesus.
View Quote

doesn't he drive one of those lowriders that has shocks that bounce the car?  Seems like that is popular with some Mexicans....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it's not.

No way in hell unless that car is seriously baked over that it is hitting 174 mph.  Not with the factory engine
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want a 70 series too, but I always wonder how many folks who want a 70 actually know what they are getting themselves into. IIRC, all the ones old enough to import are leaf-sprung stick axle front and rear (Toyota did put coils in the front later on though, FWTW), and the factory powertrains range from "slow" to "tetonic plate movements" relative to the speed most Americans are used to. I've got a decent amount of time behind an FJ62 (also leaf-sprung straight axle FR+RR), and while its totally badass and just oozes character, I'm suspect how many people who aren't committed enthusiast would put up with it as an everyday vehicle.

Look at the Wrangler for example. It used to be much like the 70 series, until Jeep realized they could make bank on selling them to well-off suburbanites, many of whom likely don't even know how to activate the 4WD. There just isn't a ton of demand for true hardcore, barebones 4WD in America, and so the Wrangler got "civilized", sales soared, and now we have Jeep ducks.

Back on topic: the R34 is definitely a period icon, and mega cool. However, I'm going to stir the pot a little... I think the R35 was more impactful on the contemporary car industry upon its release. I'm not saying the R35 is better, or more desirable, just that there is an argument you can view performance cars in a pre-R35 vs. post-R35 lense, and that makes it a more historically important car IMO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I modified my 4runner.  So . . . you're wrong.  Also - please provide me one example - any example whatsoever - that "Leftists hate modified vehicles".  Maybe they do, but that's not something I've ever heard.  Maybe I'll learn something from you (I very much doubt, but it's possible).

I'm not there yet (probably another 20 years or so), but I'll take your word for it.

Also, LOL at measuring the total value of a car by how fast it goes.  You're only proving my point about the culture.  "wAnNa RaCe fOr sLiPs, bRuH?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You had a Porsche which you didn’t modify or track, yet you’re talking shit about people modifying a car to use on the track, and one that would spank the shit out of your Porsche at that.

Why are you in this thread? Just to shit in it or what? You remind of the Harley guys I used to run into with all the shit they'd talk justifying their bikes over mine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I want a 70 series too, but I always wonder how many folks who want a 70 actually know what they are getting themselves into. IIRC, all the ones old enough to import are leaf-sprung stick axle front and rear (Toyota did put coils in the front later on though, FWTW), and the factory powertrains range from "slow" to "tetonic plate movements" relative to the speed most Americans are used to. I've got a decent amount of time behind an FJ62 (also leaf-sprung straight axle FR+RR), and while its totally badass and just oozes character, I'm suspect how many people who aren't committed enthusiast would put up with it as an everyday vehicle.

Look at the Wrangler for example. It used to be much like the 70 series, until Jeep realized they could make bank on selling them to well-off suburbanites, many of whom likely don't even know how to activate the 4WD. There just isn't a ton of demand for true hardcore, barebones 4WD in America, and so the Wrangler got "civilized", sales soared, and now we have Jeep ducks.

Back on topic: the R34 is definitely a period icon, and mega cool. However, I'm going to stir the pot a little... I think the R35 was more impactful on the contemporary car industry upon its release. I'm not saying the R35 is better, or more desirable, just that there is an argument you can view performance cars in a pre-R35 vs. post-R35 lense, and that makes it a more historically important car IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you work at mining sites elsewhere? There's a few of us who have decent time in J70s who agree and if so I recall your input prior.

Chassis update (coils/new design rear leafs) came in MY '99, along with 5x150 bolt pattern, and some style changes. Prod started Dec '98 I believe, so some early J70 coils have just become eligible. Finding an early date is a pain

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#32]
IN!

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why are you in this thread? Just to shit in it or what? You remind of the Harley guys I used to run into with all the shit they'd talk justifying their bikes over mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said he owned a porche as he shits on car enthusiasts. You already know what kind of guy he is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don’t understand how people can’t enjoy a variety of vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Id rather have a President or a Gloria VIP style JDM  car.

Those overhyped Skylines are way too much money now
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I DDed a 1st Gen 4runner for 6 years, and while it had ifs I suspect it was otherwise similar. It was fucking awesome, would do again.

Edit: not that I want to DD a 70 series, it would be a weekend/fun/general utility truck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/70_series_JPG-3171028.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now do 70 series.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/70_series_JPG-3171028.JPG

I wouldn't mind having one of those
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me neither.

I love old American cars, and I own one. It's great, and I love it.

I'd also love to have an R34 Skyline, a MkIV Supra, a Ferrari, a Porsche, an Aston Martin... I even like some trucks and SUVs.

I enjoy cars that are interesting. That's subjective, of course, but there are many interesting vehicles around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah coming into a car thread, admitting you drive the same thing as every soccer mom on the block, and then telling everyone who is celebrating horsepower and speed that they have low-T is an interesting play.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you been sleeping under a rock for the past 30 years? California has the strictest emissions, ride height bans, regular inspections, aftermarket bans, decibel bans, spoiler bans, etc. Ignorance is no excuse for defending leftists.

Funny I’m a boomer and a young immature tuner at the same time? I’ve owned one Japanese vehicle and it was a bone stock SUV ages ago.

And my reading comprehension is just fine. If you hadn’t come in this topic immediately butthurt about a car’s existence and acted like a total dipshit slinging insults, we wouldn’t be having this exchange would we?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I want a blue r34 so badly. I wonder what they’ll cost?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Me neither.

I'd also love to have an R34 Skyline, a MkIV Supra, a Ferrari, a Porsche, an Aston Martin... I even like some trucks and SUVs.

I enjoy cars that are interesting. That's subjective, of course, but there are many interesting vehicles around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me neither.

100%
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Now do 70 series.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#45]
It’s about time we get them, the import laws are bullshit.

That said, I kinda agree with the guy who couldn’t care less that they can be imported now. The “everyman” performance coupe aspect of the Skyline is kinda gone when 25+ year old good condition ones sell/will sell for hundreds of thousands, and clapped out ones will still probably cost as much as a new Mustang.

Fast & Furious fans and Gran Turismo nerds (I’m including myself in these categories lol) can over pay for the nostalgia and to satisfy that FOMO itch, but I’d rather get something more modern or an American classic.

Plus, they were always the ugly duckling of jap imports IMO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're going to need a few miles to hit 174mph in a car that runs 16 second quarter miles.  A new V6 Camry is faster.  Those are still neat cars, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Um, yeah I do. In a nutshell it's a Nissan Skyline wagon. Having played Gran Turismo 2,3,& 4 I have had a few.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Um, yeah I do. In a nutshell it's a Nissan Skyline wagon. Having played Gran Turismo 2,3,& 4 I have had a few.

Quoted:
I do. The prices on them are creeping up now that people are learning about them. The few that have been showing up at my local cars and coffee are pretty rough.

Quoted:
I do!

Quoted:
I would totally take a 260RS

My "daily" driver over here is a 2002 Stagea AWD running an inter-cooled turbo 260 V6. (I put daily in quotes since nobody living off the military bases drives anything every day)

I picked it up for JPY70,000 - so about US$500. Cheap because the Shaken (inspection) had expired and it needed new tires. I ended up putting another $2,000 into it to get it on the road - could have been cheaper had there been a way to do the inspection myself, which is how I usually do it, but it was way down in Ehime prefecture (bought it through an auction website) and I had to use a local shop for the work. The funny part was that the rims that came on it were worth the JPY70,000 which I paid for the whole car.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#48]

If I had to guess, at least initially they’ll be north of $100k. $250k might not be out of the realm of possibility.

This is based on nothing but assumption.

I’d love to buy one myself, but I don’t believe I could actually afford one on the open market.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't understand how people don't understand what I've written over and over.  

Again (for the 1,000,000th time) . . . it's not about the vehicle . . . it's about the type of person in those vehicles.  

I dislike the culture associated with this:

and this:

Japanese tuning culture is different, and yet the same:

But I like a lot of different type of vehicles, maybe even more than you.  

I like many different types of cars from 911s to Fox Body Mustangs.  But I'm also a (private) pilot, so I like these, too:

I also very much like certain track crawlers . . . specifically the Komatsu D355a.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top