Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We should have had them in LHD from day one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

We should have had them in LHD from day one.

"Nissan is a cunt" I've heard enthusiasts say

KA24 . . .kinda the same as the 22R. But Toyota gets a pass because they moved on quicker in sports applications and - 2JZ-GTE, tho Toyota may have scored big with it in the Stateside Aristo GS 300. But even Lexus acquiesced to aversion. Peeps forget it was a counter to the RB26DETT and an Aristo engine couple year prior to A80 debut. Had Nissan the courage to bring RB26DETT to the States, we may have seen a much different trend.

But In general, Japan Inc was very selective in sending 'cool stuff' to the States, tho the various distributor subsidiaries and the established American buying trends (price sensitivity and jokes (kinda) about Tojo Tin were closer - tho @midcap) hold some blame. I mean the Soarer Aero Cabin and who wouldn't want a RB - well everyone at the Japanese Motor Companies believed not the States. They were mostly correct.

FWIW the earliest mfg R34 have been eligible for exemption almost a year now, but the floodgates are soon to open. Hopefully that means good thimgs for this cult. And the crushing will end

The INSANE true story of the MotoRex scandal

The sad story of Leon's GTR.

http://skylinegt-r.wikidot.com/0-60mrex

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Saw a video on Instagram showing a lot with what looked to be hundreds arranged by birthdate for shipping off to the U.S. My feed refreshed but in trying to find the video on google, it looks like most Japanese used car dealers are pulling them to send here. I like that.

Anyone going to buy one? I’m debating a GTT now that there’s a LSX swap kit. It’d be a unique badass little weekend warrior for cheaper than a new Mustang.

One of many dealer stashes waiting for their export date to sunset.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61399/IMG_3296_jpeg-3170626.JPG
View Quote

I can't imagine that are going to be cheap.....if you are going to do an LS swap, there are much better options than spending a fortune on a rare imported car, and then chopping it up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Does Japan still tax cars by age?

The older a car gets the higher the taxes and I understand it's pretty impressive. Enough that it keeps Japanese people buying new cars and shipping their old ones out to other countries.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just feel they're going to be ridiculously priced even as a gray market car.

I remember spending time in Japan 10-15 years ago looking at used car lots and shocked how cheap everything is (S14s, S15s, GTRs, Laurels, SW20, WRX, EVO's, etc...)

Then checking the prices in the US and the same gray market cars are like 5 times the price. And this was from sketchy importers too.

Those cars can be had for so cheap over there because of their restrictions and taxes on kilometers. When cars get to a certain mileage, used car lots will be filled with them.

Can't wait to see R34 GTRs with high mileage go for something insane like 75k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I just feel they're going to be ridiculously priced even as a gray market car.

I remember spending time in Japan 10-15 years ago looking at used car lots and shocked how cheap everything is (S14s, S15s, GTRs, Laurels, SW20, WRX, EVO's, etc...)

Then checking the prices in the US and the same gray market cars are like 5 times the price. And this was from sketchy importers too.

Those cars can be had for so cheap over there because of their restrictions and taxes on kilometers. When cars get to a certain mileage, used car lots will be filled with them.

Can't wait to see R34 GTRs with high mileage go for something insane like 75k.

There's a trend you see generally, as with the Pajero EVOs, JDM Wagons, some Euro prizes: They tend to be deals in their original markets. But as eligibility for IVSCA88 exemption nears, a slow then precipitous rise in transaction prices appears as there's jockeying to provide to a Stateside market where these models are mythical . . . And experience is entirely absent. Nothing is half as good as the expectation of getting it.

Quoted:
Does Japan still tax cars by age?

The older a car gets the higher the taxes and I understand it's pretty impressive. Enough that it keeps Japanese people buying new cars and shipping their old ones out to other countries.

Shaken Inspection is a thing (there was a supplemental "old car" inspection then, but it's gone) and there is a 10% surcharge to the auto tax at like 10 or 15 years, but those are the main drawbacks of older cars. Private vs Lightwight (Kei) factors into a larger cost disparity until repair costs become an issue. "Safety" repairs (pretty broad) are enforced by Shaken and a car repair culture where there's not much deferred maintenance. Storage, especially Urban, is somewhat an issue as well.

Mostly tho things just went out of fashion and it got expensive to fix. As happens in many markets, it's costing me cash out of pocket and for that I can have some pretty new thing with less hassle. Like the perfectly usable electronics and other item Japanese used to rid themselves of  - at the curb since there was no market - at the height of the bubble, purely because they weren't the latest thing.  Tend not to buy a used house either. Cultural

ETA: Good decade old article here. You can see the previous fee structure on older cars which have been revised, tho even then weren't onerous.

https://japanesenostalgiccar.com/project-b-owning-a-classic-car-in-japan-part-02-the-shaken/

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd love one but I'm thinking they're going to go for $70K and up.

Glad to see were finally getting some of the older Japanese cars that we never had though. I'd personally love to see the Celica GT-Four. It was like a baby Supra.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435954/wallpapers-toyota-celica-1994-4-15184468-3170632.JPG
View Quote

Actual Homologation ST205 GT-Four, I'm in

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Bet we will see some in the takeover burnouts
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Any idea of price range once imported here?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I noticed that the JDM car prices tend to increase a bit on certain vehicles when the 25th birthday hits.

The buyers in Japan purchase them before the 25th birthday at a lower price and sit on them.
Not a new concept, I did this with series Land Rovers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy an original NSX instead.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe I should take a loan out from my retirement
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Alacrity
Thank you for this - this stuff is fascinating!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Nissan is a cunt" I've heard enthusiasts say

KA24 . . .kinda the same as the 22R. But Toyota gets a pass because they moved on quicker in sports applications and - 2JZ-GTE, tho Toyota may have scored big with it in the Stateside Aristo GS 300. But even Lexus acquiesced to aversion. Peeps forget it was a counter to the RB26DETT and an Aristo engine couple year prior to A80 debut. Had Nissan the courage to bring RB26DETT to the States, we may have seen a much different trend.

But In general, Japan Inc was very selective in sending 'cool stuff' to the States, tho the various distributor subsidiaries and the established American buying trends (price sensitivity and jokes (kinda) about Tojo Tin were closer - tho @midcap) hold some blame. I mean the Soarer Aero Cabin and who wouldn't want a RB - well everyone at the Japanese Motor Companies believed not the States. They were mostly correct.

FWIW the earliest mfg R34 have been eligible for exemption almost a year now, but the floodgates are soon to open. Hopefully that means good thimgs for this cult. And the crushing will end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-lir9E7hyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UafWc4gXLY

http://skylinegt-r.wikidot.com/0-60mrex

@Alacrity
Thank you for this - this stuff is fascinating!

Thx man, I'm glad to point at stuff I find interesting, so maybe others might be too

We forget at one time Japanese cars weren't seen as aspirational and the Japanese provided low cost, dubious quality alternative goods. Much the same way China is viewed now - and likely mistaken in as many aspects, now as then. Which the Motor world is about to find out.

Toyota, Honda and to an extent Nissan - and more importantly the premium marques they established, changed this. Previously, you were a Ricer. About as welcome in status circles as SnowBoarders were at Resorts of the time. The Landcape was different and money didn't support buying high end Japanese models. Even if the technology provided the performance. So Stateside import subsidiaries chased value - and we got things like the 22R Celica and KA24 240SX. Cheap. Most chasing speed bought a Mustang GT (or more astute bought the right LX 5.0) or IROC, or something that wasn't Japanese through the 90s. Which is why Japanese sports bring big dollars - rare since few bit.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Gran Tourismo was a fun game but it really fucked up young impressionable American's car culture.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#15]
These 90s JDM cars are legendary, and it was a golden era for them, but RHD would be an immediate deal killer for me for a vehicle I’d actually drive in the US.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Back in the early '00s there was a guy that lived in my AO that had a NSX exactly like that but he had these blingy ass lexani amethyst wheels on it, older guy, worked at the VA as a doctor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gran Tourismo was a fun game but it really fucked up young impressionable American's car culture.
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Because the actual automotive manufacturers around the world had no influence on things. It's the video game's fault.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#21]
So for someone who doesn't know shit about cars, what's so special about R34's4 Skylines?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So for someone who doesn't know shit about cars, what's so special about R34's4 Skylines?
View Quote

It was the first production car to break into the 7’s on the Nurburgring. Lamborghini Diablo, Ferrari 360, there’s a massively long list of cars it shouldn’t have beat to it but did. The R34 Skyline GTR and the Cadillac CTS-V are probably two of the most market changing cars ever made based off of pure domination on the Nurburgring. Everyone had to do everything differently after them to save face.

It didn’t do it with all out power either. The car was just engineered that well. In addition Nissan was running very successful racing campaigns with it, and it was announced early the R34 would be the end of the Skyline GTR.

It was also one of the first cars with a built in diagnostic system in the dash. Even today most high end sports cars don’t offer the control or monitoring the R34 did.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone going to buy one? I’m debating a GTT now that there’s a LSX swap kit. It’d be a unique badass little weekend warrior for cheaper than a new Mustang.
View Quote

I'll consider one depending on where the prices wind up.  

You can get r32 and r33 gts-t pretty cheap for an engine swap.....  They're cheaper/lighter than a gtr and people still buy the rb25 engines for good money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:08:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Skyline's  in general less, than Skyline GT-R's.

The GT-Rs were serious, top tier performance icons. The R32, R33 and R34 model generations all had the twin turbo 2.6L RB26DETT and AWD (pretty slick  ATTESSA ET-S AWD on some trims) starting in '89 with the R32. After there was even a chance for Grey Market import, so always forbidden fruit in the States.

Peeps forget thr GT-R reborn in '89:started as a Group A Rally homologation development program. Huge power, AWD, Aero. It came in too heavy and non-nimble to be competitive, so to rescue the dev outlay Nissan made it a consumer centered, no holds barred, fire-breathing Godzilla.

It's always been semi-mythical. Something that was the category killer in other markets. Could be modded huge, the engine had massive overhead (like Toyota 2JZ-GTE in the Supra and Aristo)  due to the over built nature of construction. A cult was already formed, or maybe forming  partly from the Gran Turismo game (Skyline GT-R and Supra as Cover Art). Then Fast and Furious shows up. Esp the 4th movie with Paul Walkers R34 prominent. (Which sold for $1.3M USD a year ago) So now everyone was jonesin since you can't get it due to import laws passed in '88.

Now kids who had the dream of owning Godzilla have the cash. . . .and the opportunity since there's 25 years since manufactured and can be imported under exemption from the law.

Attachment Attached File

ETA ^ NMP

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/29008/lot/1P/2000-nissan-skyline-r34-gt-r-by-kaizo-industries/

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kind of partial to the Mitsubishi FTO myself...
View Quote
My son has a 1997 FTO GPX that he imported.  They are fast cars.  He wants to take the electronic speed controller off and I won't let him (he is 17).  Without the limiter the top speed id 174mph.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I've always liked them but it would take me years to be able to drive it like I can a Mustang. I don't have that muscle memory in my left arm.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’m debating a GTT now that there’s a LSX swap kit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Flat brim hat wearers with white Oakley sunglasses, Adidas slides, and their vape pens are salivating, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll never understand this younger generation's obsession with Japanese rice burners, and Korean pop-culture while we're at it.

I guess Fast and Furious were their parents.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bet we will see some in the takeover burnouts
View Quote

Doubtful. You can’t get one at the dealership in the ghetto for 60% interest with a 500 credit score like you can with a Hellcat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll never understand this younger generation's obsession with Japanese rice burners, and Korean pop-culture while we're at it.

View Quote

I’ll never understand car guys that aren’t actually car guys because they hate everything but their own car.

This isn’t a 16 second Honda with a fart pipe. It took the Corvette three generations to catch up to it.

(My dream car as a kid was a GMC Typhoon so as soon as I found out there was another car in the world that could be boost launched I fell in love.)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I think it would be fun to have one of those and get a rural route mail delivery gig. All wheel drive manual transmission with tons of power. That would be a really fun mail car.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#35]
You may find having is not as pleasurable as wanting..
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Damn I want one, is this like the Russian sniper rifles that was getting imported here a few years ago from a prominent member here
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I want my 96 Toyota Chaser Tourer V back. I loved that fucking car. Was set up for drifting. Had the JZX90 motor in it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that what's happening here?  Because I'm super confused about what the attraction is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hot rods have been a rich mans game for a while. I can see why. And just because there are some people that got a deal on an old car from some old person that let them have it cheap doesn’t mean thats how it is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes please
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I am confused about why people are drinking the Haterade on this one.  Most of the JDM sports cars (not R34s) are cheap.  My son got a quick little sports car with performance for $13K delivered.  Why not?  The whole stop liking what I don't like is alive and well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Glad to see were finally getting some of the older Japanese cars that we never had though. I'd personally love to see the Celica GT-Four. It was like a baby Supra.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/435954/wallpapers-toyota-celica-1994-4-15184468-3170632.JPG
View Quote
WRC homologation special?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#43]
i would love an r32, 33 or 34 but would rather have an enfini or spirit r fd. a buddy of mine imported an r33 before they were allowed and had to rent a climate controlled storage space in snow mexico for ~18mo before he could legally bring it/register it in pa
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, when the US built approximately zero good cars between the end of the muscle car era in 1972 and the debut of the C5 in 1997, these things were inevitable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'll never understand car guys that aren't actually car guys because they hate everything but their own car.

This isn't a 16 second Honda with a fart pipe. It took the Corvette three generations to catch up to it.

(My dream car as a kid was a GMC Typhoon so as soon as I found out there was another car in the world that could be boost launched I fell in love.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll never understand car guys that aren't actually car guys because they hate everything but their own car.

This isn't a 16 second Honda with a fart pipe. It took the Corvette three generations to catch up to it.

I don't think people understand the position of the R34 in the collectors market. This might help.

Attachment Attached File

R34 Transaction Prices Classic.Com

The $200k plus transactions are pristine, low use, highly sought after limited edition and high spec specials. The biggest are associated with Paul Walker - some only a whiff of him but still brings interest.

But run of the mill stuff isn't cheap.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm a straight, white American male . . . so no.  

ETA:  One of my cars is a 4Runner, so it's not that I'm anti-Japanese vehicles - in fact, I think they're great.  I just think that anything "tuner" related is self-advertising that the driver has Low-T.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder if anybody in the US knows what a Stagea is?
View Quote

I would totally take a 260RS
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the first 2500 ST205.

The rest were similarly appointed but without some race equipment necessary for Group A regs on the first 2500. They still got CT20B Turbo, 4 Channel ABS, light alloy hood, Super Strut Suspension.

Attachment Attached File

I'd rather have a WRC Corolla but those are all full on works cars. Next best thing and how can you not love that, Even after 30 years it looks great.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

$75000 to $110,000+ for 20+ year old cars.  That you know have been thrashed.
View Quote

Yep, wouldn't be surprised to see primo example go for $150,000 at first.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Is that what's happening here?  Because I'm super confused about what the attraction is.
View Quote

Yeah. One of very few cars that ran 12’s in the 90’s is nothing. Beating literally every production supercar made on the Nurburgring was crap. Doing it while costing the same as a 14 second Corvette was not respectable. Doing all that while being able to drive in the snow with 4 passengers wasn’t impressive.

The hypercars of the day like the F40, F50, and Porsche 959 were the only cars faster around a track. It would take Lamborghini over a decade and an extra 300hp to beat it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top