Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
It will be fine op, within 6 months you will be at your permanent duty station where you will be issued a 350lb wife and your choice of a dodge charger / ford mustang  at 24% apr.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
This was a good recommendation if you can smuggle some in:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_6428-3170892.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

That stuff is great. Much better than slathering Vaseline in between your thighs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Option 40 11X isn't a guarantee you'll be 11B.

You're right there's like a 99.9% chance OP will be 11B after OSUT.
View Quote

Oh okay, didn't know about Option 40 but assumed.

18X was when I went through. You got 11B, airborne, and SFAS. I heard someone here say airborne is no longer before SFAS. Not sure if that's still the case.

Originally Posted By TallLankey:

I hear you. But as far as bonuses it’s pretty sweet for 6 years. That’s not why I picked it though.
View Quote

Getting a school or being able to pick your duty station will matter more to you than the money that will already be gone.

I didn't even know a 6 year 11x contract was a thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FlockaCGulz:

I was 11C! High Angle Hell! Death from Above! Warheads on Foreheads!  Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlockaCGulz:
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

Just hope you don't get 11C.

Don't just hope - pray.

I was 11C! High Angle Hell! Death from Above! Warheads on Foreheads!  Lol

I was too, but I didn't like it.

It didn't help that I was in an armor battalion's HHC. Us and the scout platoon did every goddamn detail that came along.

Joined up to be a shooter, and spent most of my days sweeping.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#5]
Originally Posted By SturmgeschutzIII:

18X was when I went through. You got 11B, airborne, and SFAS. I heard someone here say airborne is no longer before SFAS. Not sure if that's still the case.
View All Quotes

From what I've heard, airborne was moved in case the soldier doesn't make it through SFAS, so training costs for airborne aren't applied to the SF budget.

Getting a school or being able to pick your duty station will matter more to you than the money that will already be gone.

I didn't even know a 6 year 11x contract was a thing.

This is exactly why I recommend 3 year contracts, regardless of bonus. There's plenty of services available for soldiers if there's financial issues in their private life.

Also, I went to basic with a guy (2007) who got a $40k sign-on bonus for enlisting 6 years. He didn't make it through Basic.

It didn't help that I was in an armor battalion's HHC. Us and the scout platoon did every goddamn detail that came along.

I was a Chuck for my Afghanistan deployment and we were always busy doing fire support, patrolling and COP support. I loved it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
How old are you OP?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Why did you pick 6 years?
View Quote

It was the only option that guaranteed airborne training in the contract. It was the same options for 19D also I believe.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By greenranger:
How old are you OP?
View Quote

Thirty thrizy
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]

From what I've heard, airborne was moved in case the soldier doesn't make it through SFAS, so training costs for airborne aren't applied to the SF budget.

This is exactly why I recommend 3 year contracts, regardless of bonus. There's plenty of services available for soldiers if there's financial issues in their private life.

Also, I went to basic with a guy (2007) who got a $40k sign-on bonus for enlisting 6 years. He didn't make it through Basic.

I was a Chuck for my Afghanistan deployment and we were always busy doing fire support, patrolling and COP support. I loved it. YMMV.
View Quote

It makes sense. I think they were purposely using it(18x) as a feeder into airborne units for a while.

I don't think there was anyone in my Basic that just had airborne in their contract. It was all either 18X, Opt 40, or national guard guys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#11]

It was the only option that guaranteed airborne training in the contract. It was the same options for 19D also I believe.
View All Quotes

If it's not in writing, you don't have airborne guaranteed, yet. I can understand trying to get it guaranteed. They only handed out 3 Airborne slots at the end of my OSUT, so the slots are limited.

It makes sense. I think they were purposely using it(18x) as a feeder into airborne units for a while.

I don't think there was anyone in my Basic that just had airborne in their contract. It was all either 18X, Opt 40, or national guard guys.

For us, it was a reward for the top 3 soldiers in my OSUT company who didn't already have 18X or an Option 40 contract.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot has probably changed in 20 years but my memory of the experience was.

In reception you use that stuff a bit but they will take you to the PX and issue you uniforms.

So less will be more in that regard.

At the actual OSUT training they will confiscate all personal belongings and force you to repurchase things.  A handful of personal hygiene items may remain.  But the less is more philosophy will allow you to escape the frustration of taking things and not being able to use them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I got the temporary reservation for 3 years, but want to sign for 6. My recruiter said I should be able to get the permanent reservation for 6 years at meps, and the six year bonus but how do I make sure that happens?
View Quote

I go down for my son's turning green ceremony in a few weeks.  He got a 4 year 11X/Option 4 (Airborne) contract and walked away with $30K in bonuses.  He was initially told there were no Airborne Contracts available, but the career counselor was able to find one when he got up to leave.  If they don't offer you what you want, thank them for their time and go back another day.

My advice, which is the same I gave my son:
1.  Know what you want and don't sign a contract unless what you want is available.  He wanted Airborne over RASP (you can always volunteer for RASP at Airborne School if they NEED 11Bs) because he knew that I would never forgive him for being the first LEG in the family since Vietnam.
2.  Don't give up a BONUS for a RASP or 18X contract.  Those are recruiting tools to fill positions with the majority who don't get selected.  Option 40 (RASP) wash outs no longer automatically get Airborne assignments.  There is a shortage of tankers (19K) right now.....
3.  Take all the paperwork you have already given to your recruiter, like college transcripts, with you to MEPS, just in case your recruiter has "forgotten" to upload it into your file.
4.  Today is the opposite of when I went in right after Desert Storm.  The Army was being cut by 50% and we took what was available.  I took 12B for Airborne School and a guaranteed assignment to Fort Bragg after being told I would go to Korea as a LEG if I signed up as 11X at MEPS.  I was put in a critically understrength (at the time) MOS that fit the needs of the Army at THAT time.  When I got to Jump School there were a bunch of 11X's that ended up going to Vicenza.  It's all random unless you get it in your initial contract.

Good luck, work hard, and don't quit.  The Army is what you make of it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Good on you!

It'll be the best worst decision of your life.
View All Quotes
Got the good news today. I ship middle of next month. I’m leaving behind a 80k a year cushy job (that I hate) that I’ve been doing the last 9 years. I wasn’t fulfilled. I always wanted to join since the Rambo days and well, I guess it’s time.

Good on you!

It'll be the best worst decision of your life.

This.

God bless you! Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and it looks like you refuse to.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RobNC:

I go down for my son's turning green ceremony in a few weeks.  He got a 4 year 11X/Option 4 (Airborne) contract and walked away with $30K in bonuses.  He was initially told there were no Airborne Contracts available, but the career counselor was able to find one when he got up to leave.  If they don't offer you what you want, thank them for their time and go back another day.

1.  Know what you want and don't sign a contract unless what you want is available.  He wanted Airborne over RASP (you can always volunteer for RASP at Airborne School if they NEED 11Bs) because he knew that I would never forgive him for being the first LEG in the family since Vietnam.
2.  Don't give up a BONUS for a RASP or 18X contract.  Those are recruiting tools to fill positions with the majority who don't get selected.  Option 40 (RASP) wash outs no longer automatically get Airborne assignments.  There is a shortage of tankers (19K) right now.....
3.  Take all the paperwork you have already given to your recruiter, like college transcripts, with you to MEPS, just in case your recruiter has "forgotten" to upload it into your file.
4.  Today is the opposite of when I went in right after Desert Storm.  The Army was being cut by 50% and we took what was available.  I took 12B for Airborne School and a guaranteed assignment to Fort Bragg after being told I would go to Korea as a LEG if I signed up as 11X at MEPS.  I was put in a critically understrength (at the time) MOS that fit the needs of the Army at THAT time.  When I got to Jump School there were a bunch of 11X's that ended up going to Vicenza.  It's all random unless you get it in your initial contract.

View Quote

This is GREAT advice.

Also, congrats to you and your son, @RobNC !
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Where peaches come from

Edit: Ok I just googled it. This was actually Ft Benning. I guess it was a casualty of 2020 and got renamed. Honestly just found that out.
View All Quotes
OK I didnt Google it. Where is Fort Moore?

Where peaches come from

Edit: Ok I just googled it. This was actually Ft Benning. I guess it was a casualty of 2020 and got renamed. Honestly just found that out.

People still call it Benning
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was looking at the available MOSs, there was like 5 here 2 there, but 87 available for 11x. I assume they need more folks taking that MOS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Just take the clothes on your back the shoes on your feet, a small shaving kit (tooth brush razor etc) and a positive hard working mindset.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:03:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#19]
When I was looking at the available MOSs, there was like 5 here 2 there, but 87 available for 11x. I assume they need more folks taking that MOS.
View All Quotes

They attach bonuses to MOS's that are in demand. Usually, the higher the bonus, the more in demand it is and the more bargaining power you have over enlistment terms and bonus applications.

The final say is MEPS, though. They'll have what's available when you get to the final station and everything could change from the moment you first show up to after completing your physicals.

Speaking of physicals.... enjoy the Airborne one.

Originally Posted By BURN:
Just take the clothes on your back the shoes on your feet, a small shaving kit (tooth brush razor etc) and a positive hard working mindset.

A change of clothes would be good. Keep everything in a small bag, as you'll have a lot of stuff filling your duffle bags and might not have enough room for a backpack. It'll be more convenient carrying everything after graduation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#20]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGWc27KLSE
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RCaerbannog240: Good on you OP!
Btw, you're going to be shaving everyday and living in an unclean environment. If your face is a legit problem get that script from your doc. Otherwise keep your face clean and take care of your feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpGWc27KLSE

Ever miss your feet feeling like fire, every time you put weight on them?

Good times!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Do not sign a 6 year contract for no reason...

Do the 3 and reenlist if you want. There will be things you can get from reenlisting at that time.

Ask your recruiter what you can bring, but it's basically nothing. Small basic hygiene stuff and an extra set of civilian clothes. You'll get everything else there. That's just more shit you have to carry anyway.
View Quote

I second this. Good luck OP, when you are feeling down remember, millions have done it before you. It was the best thing I did. I knew early on I was doing 20.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#22]
One of those things I wish I did but never pulled the trigger on. I did almost join the FBI and then got offered a traditional white collar consulting job… I dodged a bullet there lol FBI now would suck
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#23]

This is GREAT advice.

Also, congrats to you and your son, @RobNC !
View Quote

Thank you!  He was a HS wrestler and soccer (school and club) player and is cruising through the physical challenges so far.  I'm extremely proud of him and I'm looking forward to going back to Benning 31 years later......

BTW he is 11B.  They still divide everyone alphabetically between 11C and 11B when you first get to your training company.

@11boomboom
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Well you’ll either live in anchorage, Fayetteville, or vincenza.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
View Quote

Being Airborne doesn't mean he'll go to an Airborne unit, unfortunately. The Cav has been having retention issues, so he might end there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I was in during peacetime, during the Clinton years. My only deployment didn't result in any shooting. Spent a lot of time around Ft. Hood sweeping and picking up trash. 9/10 times field training was sitting in the same spot for days on end while occasionally lobbing rounds for tank gunnery.

Sometimes I wish I'd stayed in for the GWOT (one re-up and I would've been there). Most times I'm glad I didn't.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:26:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#27]

If they don't offer you what you want, thank them for their time and go back another day.

2.  Don't give up a BONUS for a RASP or 18X contract.  Those are recruiting tools to fill positions with the majority who don't get selected.  Option 40 (RASP) wash outs no longer automatically get Airborne assignments.  There is a shortage of tankers (19K) right now ...  It's all random unless you get it in your initial contract.
View Quote
You don't have to leave the recruiting station.  Just ask for another Recruiter who will put it in your contract -- they're all scored and rated individually on whether or not they meet mission -- Hero or Zero.  The Station Commander will write your contract himself if he has to (HE's graded on whether or not the STATION meets mission).

Is the bonus available only for a six-year?  That sounds off, especially if you can quick-ship (high school grad with high ASVAB score and no drug, arrest, medical, or citizenship problems and you can get on the bus within 45 days.  In 2022 that was $35,000.  In 2024 you can combine bonuses up to $50,000).

The Ranger Regiment recruits from the force.  If the force hasn't met recruiting mission in three years (and cavalry has just been slashed) the potential pool is smaller.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#28]

They attach bonuses to MOS's that are in demand. Usually, the higher the bonus, the more in demand it is and the more bargaining power you have over enlistment terms and bonus applications.

The final say is MEPS, though. They'll have what's available when you get to the final station and everything could change from the moment you first show up to after completing your physicals.

Speaking of physicals.... enjoy the Airborne one.

A change of clothes would be good. Keep everything in a small bag, as you'll have a lot of stuff filling your duffle bags and might not have enough room for a backpack. It'll be more convenient carrying everything after graduation.
View Quote

For the love of God tell me about the airborne physical
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Also - last I was hearing 18X failures were being reclassed needs of the Army and not being sent to Infantry units - so that's not a guarantee either.  

And I agree - skip the 6 year enlistment and do the 3 year.   You have the option to reclass at that point, get a school of your choice, or PCS assignment of choice.  Also if you find that you want to suck start an AT4 because the infantry is an inverse bell curve of people - they're either scary smart or impressively stupid and not a lot in between.  You'll have more options.  I went to OSUT at 21 after graduating college.  When I got to my first unit I realized very quickly which end of the bell curve I was on and dropped a selection packet as soon as possible.  Still very glad I cut my teeth in combat arms from the start, but I'm VERY glad I didn't finish my military career there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#30]

For the love of God tell me about the airborne physical
View Quote

I don't remember it being different or separate. But I went though in 90
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#31]
Originally Posted By Rosta97:
View Quote

I thank God I got Vicenza..earned 3 foreign wings and got to go to ILRRPS school and did the NATO version of SERE but in the winter (it was called Winter Survival With Resistance To Interrogation) and it sucked every bit as the name Implied lol. Also got to go to the Belgian Paracommando School and dina balloon jump there.

Only drawback to Vicenza was running up Mr Berrico every a Friday but I heard yey don't let them do that anymore
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Flight Surgeon of the Year:

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
Flight Surgeon of the Year:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/o8bDQMhRlbs/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#35]
I only remember getting oil checked for a SFAS physical and SERE physical.

Besides he should be practicing how to relax in preparation for "The Green Weenie"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/stock-photo-woman-puts-on-black-rubber-g-3170944.JPG

Man you’re lying lol. I just looked it up and they said they check your ears to pop is all. When I did the last physical, I had to hold in giggles when the old doctor was touching my balls, I swear. Was not funny when he told me to turn around though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#37]

I thought everyone got that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I think he's talking about the airborne physical where they stick the syringe into your scrotum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#39]

I think he's talking about the airborne physical where they stick the syringe into your scrotum.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Good luck OP
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
I only remember getting oil checked for a SFAS physical and SERE physical.

Besides he should be practicing how to relax in preparation for "The Green Weenie"
View Quote

Funny story, not really, but a finger in the butt is no longer universally recommended because the results are too subjective.  

If some doc or PA tries to finger you tell him he's a fag.  

Also, it's not gay unless you push back.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I can look again, but I’m pretty sure someone lied to you about needing 6 years for guaranteed airborne a lot…..
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Want to say there was a color blindness test involved in the airborne physical too. Or maybe that was just part of the regular.

It was 12 years ago I had to do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
I can look again, but I’m pretty sure someone lied to you about needing 6 years for guaranteed airborne a lot…..
View Quote

I don’t think so. The recruiter sent me the screen shot of his computer screen and that’s were I read the options. When he sent me the temp reservation it said 3 years and half the bonus of the 6, but recruiter said most likely at meps I could get the 6.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
LMFAO if it's not in writing then it's not happening.  Don't put ANY faith in that being the case.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#47]

I don’t think so. The recruiter sent me the screen shot of his computer screen and that’s were I read the options. When he sent me the temp reservation it said 3 years and half the bonus of the 6, but recruiter said most likely at meps I could get the 6.
View All Quotes

You are loosing out in a lot with a 6 year contract, you are gonna have to PCS some time in that 3 years, and you won’t really have any bargaining power when it’s time for the army to send you somewhere.

Cash is good and all, but cash don’t mean shit when the army is sending you to fort Polk La.

11x option 4 comes with 36/48/60/72 month contracts.

Good speed friend.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#48]
Read Starship Trooper.  Reread the part about going over the hump.

Congratulations.  Going in thr Arny was the best decision I ever made..

ETA Benning was a shitty general.  Hal Moore was an outstanding General and a hell of a good man.  That is the only name change I like.  And I'm from GA.

Take a wind up or battery powered razor.  It will come in handy when the DS gives you 3 minutes to Shave, Shower and Shit.  While people are 5 deep at the sinks trying to shave.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]

You are loosing out in a lot with a 6 year contract, you are gonna have to PCS some time in that 3 years, and you won’t really have any bargaining power when it’s time for the army to send you somewhere.

Cash is good and all, but cash don’t mean shit when the army is sending you to fort Polk La.

11x option 4 comes with 36/48/60/72 month contracts.

Good speed friend.
View Quote

This plus 6 years is a loooooong time when you hate your life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

That was nothing next to the penicillin shot...
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top