User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ajek:

God bless and good luck.

Enlisting in the Army was one of the greatest things I've ever done.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:27:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mercworx] [#2]
First thought was “where the fuck is Fort Moore?”

Forgot about all the name changing bullshit.

Just bring your attention to detail. You will be told what to get and brought there when it’s time to get it.

Edit: Try to go to every school you can/want. I always dreamed of going SF as a child. Once the opportunities arose to attend SFAS I backed down, fear of failure. One of my biggest regrets. You can really maximize your time in the Army if you just go for things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TallLankey:
What personal hygiene products can I take and use the duration of my stay? Also what type of hygiene products can I buy at the exchange when I first get there? I know these seem like silly girly concerns but I get super bad acne and use a specific non rx face wash daily.

First Assessment UNAB
View Quote

Good luck. I just retired after 20+ years active duty Army. Older Soldiers usually did better than the really young ones. Hang in there and before you know it you will be in a combat zone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I don’t think I can give you any better advice than what’s already been given.You will think a lot about your poor life choices, but this you will never regret.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
You will get what's in your contract at MEPS. It is unlikely that it will be changed, so make sure you understand it.

Packing list

It looks like this hasn't changed much from back in the day. I wouldn't bring anything more than what is listed (unless your recruiter says different). There will be a shakedown once you get there, less is more. Have fun during your stay at the 30th AG.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:47:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#6]
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:
You will get what's in your contract at MEPS. It is unlikely that it will be changed, so make sure you understand it.

Packing list

It looks like this hasn't changed much from back in the day. I wouldn't bring anything more than what is listed (unless your recruiter says different). There will be a shakedown once you get there, less is more. Have fun during your stay at the 30th AG.
View Quote

Enjoy the cheeseburgers, OP.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:50:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#7]
Congrats, OP.

If it's not in writing in your enlistment contract and MEPS you ain't getting it.  Period.

OSUT's 22 weeks because kids are out of shape.  16 weeks was breaking them (ankles, hips, knees, weak core and upper body, no guts) so the Army added the extra time to condition trainees to pass the minimum.

You will have the opportunity to volunteer for jump school and the Ranger Regiment while in OSUT.  If you fail the PT screenings you won't go.

My son was an OSUT company commander until just recently.  One of my friends and his wife just watched their son graduate from jump school after being med-dropped from Ranger Assessment and Selection for a knee that has to heal while he's at the 82nd.

Get that prescription and at least a 90-day supply as those above have recommended.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By redleg13a:

Fort Benning.
View Quote

In that case, buy a couple of bottles of Old Spice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The cheeseburgers and onion rings at 30th ag were good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
View Quote

This guy knows what's up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:44:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
View Quote
The non specific communicable diseases at 30th ag were awesome. Random fevers, everybody coughing all night, great times.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck OP!

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I’d bring a travel size tooth brush and tooth paste for the trip. A small backpack I could put a jacket and phone charger in. That’s it’s.

Everything else will be issued to you and you will get an Eagle cash card (credit card with $340 or so in it, taken from your pay) Drills will tell your exactly what you need and can buy.

Don’t worry about anything else you may need the Army will take care of it. Have fun and good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

You'll probably gain wait in OSUT. It'll be muscle.
View Quote

I gained 22 pounds but that was at Harmony Church.  OP is going to the Sand Hilton.  Warm sun, pleasant staff, good food; shit I'm jealous.  OP, when you get a chance, post your mailing address so we can send you cookies and shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Covertness:

I gained 22 pounds but that was at Harmony Church.  OP is going to the Sand Hilton.  Warm sun, pleasant staff, good food; shit I'm jealous.  OP, when you get a chance, post your mailing address so we can send you cookies and shit.
View Quote
Yeah that's good advice.  Definitely post your address
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Look up the Soldier and Sailors Relief Act....or whatever it's called.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Half of the 22 weeks is dei training.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BornIn1776:
Half of the 22 weeks is dei training.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:21:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#20]
WTF?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:22:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#21]
WTF WTF?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I see a fat wife in your future
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:
Idk I havent been to Ft Benning in 20 years
View Quote

My first visit to Fort Benning was in 1988, member of the Harmony Church choir My son did Basic and AIT there about 8 years ago (split op) when he Enlisted Infantry. I only made it to his boot camp graduation. He earned an ROTC scholarship and got Commissioned Infantry, finally finished BOLC last spring. For Benning (won't say Moore) is actually a nice base.

OP, recommend getting a prescription if you can and just get it updated while in boot. You're not going to have time to dick around much facial washes, scrubs, and cream smearing, so just keep that in mind.

Have fun. Don't standout initially if you can avoid it just to avoid the idiots who will stand out. If you're remotely competent, can lead without being a big penis, don't bitch all time, work hard, pocket your smartass attitude if you have one, and you're physically fit, you'll do well.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Moore?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Good news! No one cares what you look like in basic training, so you will not get your fancy face cream unless it is a medical necessity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:
Moore?
View Quote

Fort Moore is the DEI version of Fort Benning
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
22 weeks, oh what fun and joy that would be.
View Quote
Oh, it's a real hoot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:27:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FinanceGuy] [#28]
Good luck and don't quit.

I have seen folks quit in the middle of BCT and it was probably the longest time they spent sitting around, doing nothing or tedious jobs (like shredding documents for the admin) before they got out processed and sent home.

I also met some of the most dysfunctional people on this planet while in reception.

I was an office professional working in the business world (also in a very unsatisfying job) and I decided to enlist one day as well.

It was probably one of the better decisions I made in my life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Ft. Polk 1967 Basic Combat Training
Mech INF
8 Inch Gun
Maintance Co.
Signal
Avation
Engineers
40 years 3 months 16 days. Retired 11/06

Thanks to Drill Sgt. Lopez
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:58:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stk016] [#30]
It’s 22 weeks now? Woof. I tacked on another year at meps for a little more bonus money but like said before no guarantees. I wouldn’t count on being able to keep anything you bring.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#31]
My son is at OSUT and we can send unscented hygiene products that are not on the list.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
I see a fat wife in your future
View Quote

Is that what you ended up with? Someone has to be the example for the stereotype I guess.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I had four options to choose from, one was picking your first base with three crappy options. I forget what 2 and three were. But option 4 was 6 years and guaranteed airborne training in my contract, so obviously I picked option 4. Now my only concern is not getting hurt during jump training and well, muh face. I just don’t want to stand out trust me it’s not an insecurity thing. For all those who have offered encouragement, I won’t let you down, I want this more than anything and have denied my self of it for years. I was dying inside with this office job. Can’t wait to put in my two weeks
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#34]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:

Is that what you ended up with? Someone has to be the example for the stereotype I guess.
View Quote

Meanwhile some of us go the other route and knock up one of our units medics…

Two divorces in 6 years, it was great.

OP you need to get your bonus documented by your recruiter. MEPS won’t do shit for you on that end.

Get a prescription for acne shit before you go, or risk them taking your shit and waiting for medical.

i joined at 28 and went through 12B OSUT. You’ll be fine
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By black1970:
Ft. Polk 1967 Basic Combat Training
Mech INF
8 Inch Gun
Maintance Co.
Signal
Avation
Engineers
40 years 3 months 16 days. Retired 11/06

Thanks to Drill Sgt. Lopez
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#36]

Based off your user name, I assume you’re 11B? All this is starting to make sense now. Seeing a lot of that in other user names as well now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You'll probably gain wait in OSUT. It'll be muscle.

Based off your user name, I assume you’re 11B? All this is starting to make sense now. Seeing a lot of that in other user names as well now.

Take a sharp bayonet with you. Scrape that shit off and be a man among men.

Learn to be a killer among congenial men if they talk shit to you and try to hurt you.

We're all counting on you.

Rangers lead the way!

That is all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Got the good news today. I ship middle of next month. I’m leaving behind a 80k a year cushy job (that I hate) that I’ve been doing the last 9 years. I wasn’t fulfilled. I always wanted to join since the Rambo days and well, I guess it’s time.
View Quote

9 years, huh? Why did you wait til after the war was over to chase your childhood dream?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Trust me I know I'll regret joining, but I have to find out for myself. It's my childhood dream. So fuck it!
View Quote
You'll only regret it for a little bit!

In '05 while at reception (where you get shots, dental xrays, uniforms issued, etc) they'll give you a list of what to buy and march you to the PX and you'll buy it all.  Every few weeks they sent a couple guys with everyone's list to buy more shit.

22 weeks though.  Oof.  It was 14 when i went through.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Infantry26:
You'll only regret it for a little bit!

In '05 while at reception (where you get shots, dental xrays, uniforms issued, etc) they'll give you a list of what to buy and march you to the PX and you'll buy it all.  Every few weeks they sent a couple guys with everyone's list to buy more shit.

22 weeks though.  Oof.  It was 14 when i went through.
View Quote

I think it was 16 in 2010.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:03:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoomerShooter] [#40]
Where is Ft. Moore?

Oh. It's Ft. Benning.

Basic/AIT/Airborne School/RIP/City week all there

Stay off VD drive
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah I had four options to choose from, one was picking your first base with three crappy options. I forget what 2 and three were. But option 4 was 6 years and guaranteed airborne training in my contract, so obviously I picked option 4. Now my only concern is not getting hurt during jump training and well, muh face. I just don't want to stand out trust me it's not an insecurity thing. For all those who have offered encouragement, I won't let you down, I want this more than anything and have denied my self of it for years. I was dying inside with this office job. Can't wait to put in my two weeks
View Quote
I got my unit orders prior to airborne training for Ft Carson, likely 4ID as airborne doesnt gaurantee and airborne unit.  The wait (airborne hold) was nearly 6 months at the time (if you just have airborne in contract and no class start dates for follow on training you're the most bumpable) and 4ID was going back to Iraq.  The DS advised me my orders wouldnt change if I dropped airborne to not miss half the deployment....they did, I was sent to Korea first.
In hindsight maybe my Ft Carson orders were to the SF unit there to be their range detail or something and Korea wasn't all that bad.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BoomerShooter:
Where is Ft. Moore?
View Quote

It’s Benning
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Does the Army not give a gear list?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#44]

You probably won't regret joining.

I always wanted to be a soldier growing up, too. So I did it!

You'll do it, too!
View All Quotes
Trust me I know I’ll regret joining, but I have to find out for myself. It’s my childhood dream. So fuck it!

You'll do it, too!

lol. He will absolutely regret joining for the first month.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Good luck, remember it’s only temporary and you will probably survive.

Not sure what your mos is I did 19 weeks OSUT at Leonard wood 2009.

Once you get into AIT it might get a little better, basic will generally suck though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Trust me I know I’ll regret joining, but I have to find out for myself. It’s my childhood dream. So fuck it!
View Quote

Not necessarily.

I didn't get along with the army, and I decided to go on my way after one enlistment. I still wouldn't say I regret doing it, though. It's a unique life experience whether you enjoy it or not.

R.I.P. Fort Benning
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:11:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#47]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

View All Quotes

You'll do it, too!

Throwing shit out of his foot locker all in a rage and shit and sweaty.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#48]
For OSUT the first 12-14 weeks are the “basic “ portion. You will have minimal supplies and have  few choices from the PX. Once you get into the “AIT” portion you usually have a bit more freedoms (unless infantry) and can go to the larger PX or even off post . As mentioned if you get a RX for your acne meds / cleaners they have to let you use it. Although 15 years ago you would have been hazed to death for it. In today’s military you might get some sort of award.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

You'll do it, too!

Honestly, I enjoyed the first few months more than the rest of it.

I spent the rest of my enlistment as a mortarman in an armor unit doing a bunch of mostly dumb/boring shit. The time I spent at Benning is the only part of it that felt like the army stuff I signed up for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Basic is easy. It’s like prison/summer camp with guns for retards. Everyone is new and equal.

Those first couple of months at your unit though. Don’t know what it’s like now in a more garrison environment but back in 2010 when everyone had at least one combat deployment including the privates. Holy shit that sucked.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top