Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

I was a deck officer on container ships.

There was nowhere near enough wind to initiate such a course change.

Port rudder and port anchor combined shouldn't have caused the stern to swing to port. I guess that I'm doubtful of the port rudder reports. Could be incorrect reporting, could have been carried out incorrectly by the Indian helmsman, hard to say. In one aerial shot I saw of the aftermath the rudder looked centered.

Time will tell.
View Quote

*Hat tip* thanks for that, goes along with my thinking.  

Yes. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:32:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#2]
Originally Posted By BeRzErKaS:
I never would have imagined that a bridge over a shipping lane wouldn't be designed to sustain a bump from the type of boats that actually use the waterway.

They were essentially playing Russian Roulette with cargo ships.

If direct contact could cause a failure THIS catastrophic they should have considered using Tugs to guide the boats in and out.
View Quote

The bridge was designed in 1972.

In 1972, the largest ship was 3 times smaller than this one.

It is all about the money.  If everything was made super safe, there would not be any economically viable  transportation.

If you think this is scary you should probably not fly on airliners.

Remember how big transoceanic airplanes used to have 4 engines, now they only have 2. Do you know why?

Money.

Sure engines have become more reliable, just like the systems on big ships.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:33:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#3]
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Boss!  I did add DEF!  It went right in the fuel tank with the gas!
View Quote

Which would be worse?  Def or gas in a diesel?  I'm going with gas.

Could the bridge be replaced with a tunnel?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:37:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#5]

The Gateway Pundit is garbage.

As usual the headline is bullshit.

Primary power loss resulted in the sensors resetting and then continuing to record and the voice recorder running on backup power but had background noise, just like every other cockpit and bridge voice recorder on the planet.

Whoda thunk it,
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By freerider04:
They were outbound on an ebb, nearing slack tide.  Don't know winds and prevailing currents and last rudder position, but the bow falls off pretty slowly.  Not abnormal in my experience at all
View Quote

I don't know what that means.  Where they traveling with the current?  If so, after they lost power, would any rudder movement have any effect or did they still have speed relative to the current?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Boss!  I did add DEF!  It went right in the fuel tank with the gas!

DEF is nasty shit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

DEF is nasty shit.
View Quote
Actually it's closer to nasty piss
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
Actually it's closer to nasty piss
View Quote

This is true.  I have 2 tractors, a swather and a pickup that use that shit.  FEPA
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Could that port turn be caused by the port side screw stopping before the starboard on power failure?

In MI we dealt with questions in a possible/probable way. Is terrorism possible here? Yes. Is it probable? I'm thinking no. This looks more like a failure cascade.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

I don't know what that means.  Where they traveling with the current?  If so, after they lost power, would any rudder movement have any effect or did they still have speed relative to the current?
View Quote

Travelling with the current.  It was nearing slack water, so it probably wasn't much (I don't really feel like pulling up the data)

Depending on their setup, it may not have been possible to move the rudder from the last position in the time available (or at all).  It's a SOLAS requirement that hydraulics for aux steering run directly off the emergency gen switchboard, but the ship was clearly dead so that doesn't do much good
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AZ_Hi_Desert:
Could that port turn be caused by the port side screw stopping before the starboard on power failure?

In MI we dealt with questions in a possible/probable way. Is terrorism possible here? Yes. Is it probable? I'm thinking no. This looks more like a failure cascade.
View Quote

Single screw.  I saw it in class data somewhere but I forget which way it turns
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
Tell me what u think I know. I just watched that thing do a 180  turn on the tracker. Clearly it can maneuver.

The ship clearly made a starboard move, before power went out. Something like 5 min before it hit. And then it accentuated that move the closer it got.  It was on course for a center ish bridge cross, and then it changed. If you wanna say that's a "wave or water induced move".....yeahhhhidunnoabout all that.

Someone's going to have to say they had a major mechanical with the rudder and it jammed to the right or something for me to swallow that story.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Tell me you don't understand momentum and energy .
Tell me what u think I know. I just watched that thing do a 180  turn on the tracker. Clearly it can maneuver.

The ship clearly made a starboard move, before power went out. Something like 5 min before it hit. And then it accentuated that move the closer it got.  It was on course for a center ish bridge cross, and then it changed. If you wanna say that's a "wave or water induced move".....yeahhhhidunnoabout all that.

Someone's going to have to say they had a major mechanical with the rudder and it jammed to the right or something for me to swallow that story.

Put your twitter link video in full screen.

See the little dot and then arrows next to the ship as it's leaving the pier? Then once it gets turned and headed towards the bridge, those arrows move away from the ship?  

Those are called tugboats, that's how that ship did that 180 once it left the pier. It didn't do that maneuver on its own.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
They were outbound on an ebb, nearing slack tide.  Don't know winds and prevailing currents and last rudder position, but the bow falls off pretty slowly.  Not abnormal in my experience at all

Google is hard yo.

OUTBOUND. : traveling away from a place : outward bound.

The change from high to low tide is called the "ebb tide".

Slack tide or slack water is the short period in a body of tidal water when the water is completely unstressed, and there is no movement either way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By only1asterisk:

I'm honestly shocked stuff like this doesn't happen every other day.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By only1asterisk:
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Why are people surprised when technical problems arise on these ships?
They're staffed with crew members making around $2-3/hour.  You won't find highly skilled labor for that, anywhere.  

The majority of Ships' deck crews and related workers earn a salary between  8,291 and  41,707 (rupees) per month in 2024.

Job Responsibilities:
- Standing look-out watches at sea and when entering or leaving harbour or other narrow waters
   - Steering ships according to instructions
   - Handling ropes and wires, and operating mooring equipment
   - Maintaining and, in some cases, operating ships' equipment, cargo gear, rigging, lifesaving and firefighting appliances
   - Performing deck and hull cleaning, scraping, painting and other maintenance duties as required
- Breaking out, rigging and stowing cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging and running gear...

https://paycheck.in/career-tips/role-income/india-ships-deck-crews-and-related-workers

I'm honestly shocked stuff like this doesn't happen every other day.

Who says it doesn't?

If a cargo ship experiences a mechanical or electrical failure in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, doesn't hit anything, and restarts, nobody outside of that ship is going to notice or care.

If a cargo ship experiences a mechanical or electrical failure near land and runs aground on a random piece of dirt, very few people outside of the maritime community are going to notice or care.

It's only when such an occurrence results in a shocking and improbable outcome that it becomes headline news.

In WWII, just within the US Army Air Corps, aircraft accidents resulted in the lost of over 7,000 aircraft and 13,600 fatalities. Of all of those, only one probably made the news:

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mach:

The bridge was designed in 1972.

In 1972, the largest ship was 3 times smaller than this one.

It is all about the money.  If everything was made super safe, there would not be any economically viable  transportation.

If you think this is scary you should probably not fly on airliners.

Remember how big transoceanic airplanes used to have 4 engines, now they only have 2. Do you know why?

Money.

Sure engines have become more reliable, just like the systems on big ships.
View Quote

Engines Turn Or People Swim
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

See the little dot and then arrows next to the ship as it's leaving the pier? Then once it gets turned and headed towards the bridge, those arrows move away from the ship?  

Those are called tugboats, that's how that ship did that 180 once it left the pier. It didn't do that maneuver on its own.

View Quote

Yep that practice is already being criticized. Reduced tug usage over the years. And it's pure cheapness.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Looking for another plausible explanation for the bow swinging to starboard.  Could have been that they were turing the rudder to port when they lost power.  Once power was regained, the rudder went full left as the steering pumps or accumulator regained effectiveness.  When the engine was revered, water flow would have been against the rudder pushing the bow to starboard.  They were correcting at the helm, and the shift to starboard stopped, just before they hit the bridge.

Plausible theory or dumb idea?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
Looking for another plausible explanation for the bow swinging to starboard.  Could have been that they were turing the rudder to port when they lost power.  Once power was regained, the rudder went full left as the steering pumps or accumulator regained effectiveness.  When the engine was revered, water flow would have been against the rudder pushing the bow to starboard.  They were correcting at the helm, and the shift to starboard stopped, just before they hit the bridge.

View Quote

Possible, but the "turn" started while they didn't have power.  I'd guess the rudders last commanded position was a little off center and once the bow started coming around there wasn't enough time to correct in the brief period they had power back
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:

It's not easy to go in a straight line in water, regardless of wind and current, it takes a lot of constant adjustments, so there's no telling how the rudder was turned the instant power was lost.

If you try to manually go a long distance in a straight line it typically looks like a snakes path.  The slower you are going the worse it is.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:
Originally Posted By brass:
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:
Originally Posted By Joe731:

It's not, let's keep going.

You don't think the crew that presumably knows a bit about ships could figure out a way to make the lights go off all at once?
Somebody in this thread named you as an SME, but is your ship so much smarter than you that you couldn't figure out a way to make that happen if you wanted to?
If all of the electricity comes out of one generator you couldn't think of a way to turn all of that off at once?

--"Then it continues on to forgetting there's two 3rd party-assigned pilots that got on board a half-hour before sailing"
Every intelligence agency in the world will be bummed to learn that it's impossible to put people who aren't what they seem to be in important places

--"that probably can't be convinced to join the plot"
Look at this briefcase, it's full of money and pictures of your children

--"forgetting the VDR onboard"
"He knows that everything this ship does is tracked"

--"forensic investigation that's obviously going to take place"
"The cops might investigate, we better not try this crime" -Said a lot of people but not all of them

If the ship bumped into the beach or something this entire incident would occupy half a page of the you laugh you lose thread and that would be that.
But it has a lot more impact than that, and it accidentally worked out in way that some of our enemies love to see.

It probably was an accident.  But blowing it off as such and shitting on everyone who says maybe it wasn't is stupid.

Now way to predict where exactly that ship is going to end up when the power goes off.  It might harmlessly pass under the bridge.

That is one strange point about the tracking plot.  it turned 15° to the SSE toward the pylon 3-4 minutes before the impact.  If it hadn't made that turn it would have made it under the bridge.   It was still increasing speed when they were making the turn if the tracking data is right so that's confusing tome a little bit.  I'd think power failure would keep ship on existing path and not crank steering one way or the other.

It's not easy to go in a straight line in water, regardless of wind and current, it takes a lot of constant adjustments, so there's no telling how the rudder was turned the instant power was lost.

If you try to manually go a long distance in a straight line it typically looks like a snakes path.  The slower you are going the worse it is.

Worse in a Kayak than a battleship?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#22]

View Quote
Good info. Thanks.

I still want to know what the sudden starboard turn was about. It's the odd part of all of this.

Those little blue arrows leaving after the turn just cost us 1.2+B and 6+ lives, sadly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Possible, but the "turn" started while they didn't have power.  I'd guess the rudders last commanded position was a little off center and once the bow started coming around there wasn't enough time to correct in the brief period they had power back
View Quote

I attempted to post something like that early on but you put it much more eloquently than  I did.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AZ_Hi_Desert:

View Quote
Dali has only one shaft/screw.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:
I think there's at least 8 organizations involved in that ship which is normal from what I understand.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
Just thinking. Shouldn't the ship company pay for the damages? I thought they have to have insurance?
I think there's at least 8 organizations involved in that ship which is normal from what I understand.

As already pointed out; if you wait for the investigation and court battles (insurance companies will try everything to avoid paying out billions), it will delay everything even longer.

Makes sense to get everything taken care of ASAP, and bill to the insurance companies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

Reports say that she never recovered main engine power. As a single screw ship she had one rudder. It can be seen in some of the aftermath pictures.

It's helpful to know where a ship pivots in response to her rudder, which generally is about a third of the way back from the bow when moving ahead. Moving astern its a third of the way from the stern.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I knew we were going to be seeing articles wailing that illegals and immigrants were working on the bridge and they’re being exploited, etc. I’ve seen one from the Washington and another. Can’t link as they’re in my Apple News+ subscription.

How about these people have no skills and no education to do something besides manual labor/construction work?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Reports say that she never recovered main engine power. As a single screw ship she had one rudder. It can be seen in some of the aftermath pictures.

It's helpful to know where a ship pivots in response to her rudder, which generally is about a third of the way back from the bow when moving ahead. Moving astern its a third of the way from the stern.
View Quote
With the loss of the screw power, the efficiency of the rudder is drastically reduced is it not?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:36:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#29]
Google is hard yo.

Slack tide or slack water is the short period in a body of tidal water when the water is completely unstressed, and there is no movement either way.
View All Quotes

Google is hard yo.

Edit- arf was slow picking this up, I used the posted time as close to the crash time- It wasn’t.  Adjusted info below.

I looked it up on Aye Tides (tide app)

Looks like damned near slack water around the bridge, but it was still out going at the crash time.  

Closest station with a current estimate is further out and shows about 0.22 MPH at the time of the crash.  Would be faster near the bridge.  Still not very fast.  

So they basically crashed damned close to slack, if I did everything correctly.  Can’t blame the current too much for this one.  That velocity was the ship’s, not the current.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#30]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

FWIW, they're planning a new I-5 bridge across the Columbia River here, little over a half mile from shore to shore, it's estimated to cost something approaching $6B, IIRC
View Quote

That I-5 bridge replacement has been needed for decades.  As in I worked an entire career, and retired, all while they have been planning and arguing about the replacement bridge.  They still can’t agree on a design, not one shovel of dirt has moved, but the planning costs so far have been hundreds of millions spent so far.  For zero accomplished.

And new estimates are more like 7.5B….

And now we have another one that will take priority over it in funding and other resources….

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#31]
With the loss of the screw power, the efficiency of the rudder is drastically reduced is it not?
View All Quotes

Definitely. She still had way on so there would still be  response though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Marie:
I knew we were going to be seeing articles wailing that illegals and immigrants were working on the bridge and they’re being exploited, etc. I’ve seen one from the Washington and another. Can’t link as they’re in my Apple News+ subscription.

How about these people have no skills and no education to do something besides manual labor/construction work?
View Quote

Illegals should not have been working on the bridge or anywhere in the USA.  Deport all of them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:08:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#33]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Illegals should not have been working on the bridge or anywhere in the USA.  Deport all of them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

I have no clue if these are illegals or not.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
View Quote

That'll sure help damp down the already rampant conspiracy theories.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Karine Jean-Pierre Has No Clue When Biden Will Visit Site Of Baltimore Bridge Collapse. The site is only 1 hr away from Washington DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nB0FatYvc
View Quote

Why am I not even surprised?  It's less than 40 miles which would take very little time in a helo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

Hard to get sensor data when the sensors don't have power. It continued to record audio.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:56:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freakinout] [#39]
eta wrong thread
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

The conspiracy tards are going to love it. Never mind that it can easily be explained by the power interruption. I honestly can’t even tell you if the CVR and FDR on my jet records after a total electrical failure. I sorta doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By R_S:

Why am I not even surprised?  It's less than 40 miles which would take very little time in a helo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R_S:
Originally Posted By realwar:
Karine Jean-Pierre Has No Clue When Biden Will Visit Site Of Baltimore Bridge Collapse. The site is only 1 hr away from Washington DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nB0FatYvc

Well, it took him a year to visit East Palestine but that was probably because his handlers saw how enthusiastic the people were when Trump beat him there. He might make it to Baltimore sooner though since that is a Democrat stronghold.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#42]
It's been 40 years but our frigate was single screw, single rudder.  A steam turbine propulsion system, so some differences.  At slow turns or slow speed through the water, response to the rudder is very slow and that single big screw will actually move the ship (well, stern) sideways more than might be expected given the forward or reverse turns ordered, acting somewhat like a paddlewheel.  If the screw is stopped or reversing directions, there may be little response to the rudder or angle changes.  But that's at very low speeds.  I'll guess that rudder angle changes aren't very fast when ordered, there is a lot of steel to move against a lot of moving water.  Going from a forward bell to a backing bell doesn't happen "quickly," and these monster ships aren't designed to be highly maneuverable.  So knowing what one wants to happen and having it happen is just not fast.

I've had helmsmen turn to port on a starboard order or vice versa.  So not impossible that an order was given and the response was wrong.  If I had to guess, this was steered with big hydraulic rams and the rudder would stay in place if power lost. How quickly it might respond to rudder angle orders when "power" restored?  Not sure.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

Hard to get sensor data when the sensors don't have power. It continued to record audio.
View Quote

Why is that? I'd consider a microphone a sensor, of sorts.

Not trolling or a 'spiracy nut.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: subcomunic8r] [#44]
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

The bridge voice logger is separate and has a battery back up. The voyage data recorder did not have a battery back up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
View Quote

Sure has me spooked!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By subcomunic8r:

The bridge voice logger is separate and has a battery back up. The voyage data recorder did not have a battery back up.
View Quote

Thanks. That sounds like a fail on the VDR spec.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

Sure has me spooked!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

Sure has me spooked!

Phrasing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Here's ~15 seconds of audio of the Indian crew discussing the accident, as it was happening.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

what a piece of shit
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top