Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -SkyRaider-] [#1]
I'm thinking they need to bring in some sort of asshole salvage outfit and start torching that shit up and get it out of the way.  Ships need to pass through there.

I wonder if they could bring in a barge crane big enough to lift the entire span out.  Or maybe cut it into 2-3 lengths and pull them out if the drink.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://www.twz.com/sea/two-of-the-fastest-u-s-sealift-ships-trapped-by-baltimore-bridge-collapse
View Quote

SL-7s are beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Massachusetts car dealers wait for answers

Massachusetts car dealers wait for answers after Baltimore bridge collapse
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Sounds like most of the guys who fell in, were illegal aliens.  

One guy is a member of Casa Maryland -a group dedicated to helping illegals.
View Quote

"Ridicule isn't working, let's try bait"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

Why stop there? Why are you not considering the most obvious explanation? This was aliens. Aliens were abducting crew members from that ship for their nefarious experiments.

Unless you can conclusively prove that didn't happen, you're a dangerously narrow-minded tool.
View Quote

So on a scale of most likely to least likely, you're saying that Aliens is in between accident and intentional?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Found out all the containers for my big customer are coming off the ship in Norfolk tomorrow. Another customer’s are being discharged in New York. It’s dependent on port rotation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

State construction worker unions are letting illegals be hired on for roadwork now?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
I'm thinking they need to bring in some sort of asshole salvage outfit and start torching that shit up and get it out of the way.  Ships need to pass through there.

I wonder if they could bring in a barge crane big enough to lift the entire span out.  Or maybe cut it into 2-3 lengths and pull them out if the drink.
View Quote
It will be tough to cut the deck and roadway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Attach some air bags and float it out of the way to get the ship lane open again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Joe731:
So on a scale of most likely to least likely, you're saying that Aliens is in between accident and intentional?
View Quote

There is just as much evidence for intentional as there is for aliens. Why push the sabotage angle so hard while ignoring aliens? It's not right, and intellectually dishonest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

Wait until Lara Logan hears about this, her take should be interesting
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://www.twz.com/sea/two-of-the-fastest-u-s-sealift-ships-trapped-by-baltimore-bridge-collapse

Wait until Lara Logan hears about this, her take should be interesting

She'll have to consult with Steve Bannon to formulate a sufficiently moronic response.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JackRebney] [#13]
Originally Posted By chase237:

Not sure if the scale is even close to the same but the San Francisco-Oakland Bay bridge was rebuilt / replaced at the whopping cost of $6.5B. Point is, yeah it’s going to be costly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_span_replacement_of_the_San_Francisco%E2%80%93Oakland_Bay_Bridge
View Quote

FWIW, they're planning a new I-5 bridge across the Columbia River here, little over a half mile from shore to shore, it's estimated to cost something approaching $6B, IIRC
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:29:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#14]
Originally Posted By DieselEngineer:

SL-7s are beautiful.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DieselEngineer:

SL-7s are beautiful.

Yeah they sure are...had no idea...wowzers!

"I've directed my team to move heaven and Earth to reopen the port and rebuild the bridge as soon as humanly possible," President Joe Biden said yesterday. "It is my intention that the Federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

State construction worker unions are letting illegals be hired on for roadwork now?
View All Quotes

MD has been illegal-alien friendly for a long time and even gives them driving licenses.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Transp Sec Pete Buttigieg Won't Say If Baltimore Bridge Collapse Will Prolong Supply Chain Problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyfFOSNNB8c
View Quote

How would that worthless Peter puffer know?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Who came up with these numbers? Does anyone in the media pay attention to the garbage they put out there?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]

There is just as much evidence for intentional as there is for aliens. Why push the sabotage angle so hard while ignoring aliens? It's not right, and intellectually dishonest.
View All Quotes

"Pushing the sabotage angle so hard"
It probably was an accident.

Now, why are you fighting the sabotage angle so hard?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By brass:

I would think electrical problems that severe and having mechanics repairing the problem while in port for 2 days would be enough to trigger another inspection before they allowed it to leave.   How long was it functional after the last outage before they let it leave the port?  Too many refrigerated boxes on it or some other overload?   Trying to carry more refrigerated cargo than the power system was rated for or something?

If auto mechanics can declare a car unsafe to be on the road, you'd think port workers would be able to do the same for a ship that is clearly having major issues.

View All Quotes
The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker.

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash.

Following the devastation, she said: 'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem. It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.'

Mitchell explained that refrigerated boxes tripped breakers on board the ship on several occasions, and mechanics had been trying to fix the issue.

She said she didn't know whether the problem had been fixed when the ship set off.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2024/03/27/20/82970217-13246079-image-a-25_1711571824924.jpg

Mitchell told CNN that major power problems on board large vessels like the Dali are 'not really that common at all', describing the freak incident as 'very rare'.  

'They shouldn't have let the ship leave port until they got it on under control,' she said.

'The vessel went dead, no steering power and no electronics... The smell of burned fuel was everywhere in the engine room and it was pitch black,' the officer said.

When a ship such as the Dali loses power, backup generators kick in but they do not fulfill all of the same functions as the main power, Pagoulatos said.

Inspectors found a problem with the Dali's machinery in June, but a more recent examination did not identify any deficiencies, according to the shipping information system Equasis.

The port authorities said the ship had remained at the dock for repairs for some time after the incident.

'As a general rule, these accidents are investigated and ships are only allowed to leave after experts have determined it is safe for them to do so,' a spokesperson for Antwerp port told Reuters.

Link

I would think electrical problems that severe and having mechanics repairing the problem while in port for 2 days would be enough to trigger another inspection before they allowed it to leave.   How long was it functional after the last outage before they let it leave the port?  Too many refrigerated boxes on it or some other overload?   Trying to carry more refrigerated cargo than the power system was rated for or something?

If auto mechanics can declare a car unsafe to be on the road, you'd think port workers would be able to do the same for a ship that is clearly having major issues.

Sounds like it could be the issue, doesn’t it?

“Keeps overloading and shutting down. Unplug a few, so we can pass inspections and leave dock. We’ll plug them back in when we’re underway, and try to figure it out. We’re already 2 days behind schedule”.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By KayHi:

That 500 million and 2 years may cover the Environmental Impact study that will be required before the new bridge construction even starts.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KayHi:
Originally Posted By JamesJones:

Some guys here say 5-7 years and 10 billion

I'm thinking 500 million and 2 years.

That 500 million and 2 years may cover the Environmental Impact study that will be required before the new bridge construction even starts.

That only applies to projects democrats want to stop or prevent.   When a democrat's graft depends on the commerce provided by the port and Interstate roadways, shit will get done - wait and see.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#21]
The ship knew the bridge was not equitable enough and had to destroy it. Communities of color were harmed in its construction.

New bridge needs to honor the newcomers that have been harmed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It's Maryland.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Like most catastrophes, I bet this is the culmination of multiple, smaller problems and bad decisions.
Rarely do they seem to be caused by a single failure or choice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Hell hook up that center span to the ship that hit the bridge, make them pull it out of the way, to open up for ship traffic.

If its engines can even run, that is.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker.

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash.

Following the devastation, she said: 'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem. It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.'

Mitchell explained that refrigerated boxes tripped breakers on board the ship on several occasions, and mechanics had been trying to fix the issue.

She said she didn't know whether the problem had been fixed when the ship set off.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2024/03/27/20/82970217-13246079-image-a-25_1711571824924.jpg

Mitchell told CNN that major power problems on board large vessels like the Dali are 'not really that common at all', describing the freak incident as 'very rare'.  

'They shouldn't have let the ship leave port until they got it on under control,' she said.

'The vessel went dead, no steering power and no electronics... The smell of burned fuel was everywhere in the engine room and it was pitch black,' the officer said.

When a ship such as the Dali loses power, backup generators kick in but they do not fulfill all of the same functions as the main power, Pagoulatos said.

Inspectors found a problem with the Dali's machinery in June, but a more recent examination did not identify any deficiencies, according to the shipping information system Equasis.

The port authorities said the ship had remained at the dock for repairs for some time after the incident.

'As a general rule, these accidents are investigated and ships are only allowed to leave after experts have determined it is safe for them to do so,' a spokesperson for Antwerp port told Reuters.

Link

Don't worry, rich uncle joe is footing the entire repair bill for some POS foreign flagged ship with 100% known power issues that destroyed billions of dollars of American property.

Fvcking asshole.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

We also had all sorts of experts in the Covid threads in 2020, all of the Iraq and Afghanistan threads in mid 2000s, etc. They were all wrong in the end. It was all lies spouted by MSM and our own government the whole time.
View Quote

Um, I think overall GD was far better than anything the government said about Covid.  The government got absolutely zero correct.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]

“As I mentioned before, exposure to true information does not matter anymore,” said Bezmenov. “A person who was demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell nothing to him. Even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents, with pictures; even if I take him by force to the Soviet Union and show him [a] concentration camp, he will refuse to believe it, until he [receives] a kick in his fan-bottom. When a military boot crashes his balls then he will understand. But not before that. That’s the [tragedy] of the situation of demoralization.”

KGB defector Yuri Bezmenov's warning to America
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Why was that bitch putting out so much sooty smoke before it demo’d the bridge?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Why was that bitch putting out so much sooty smoke before it demo’d the bridge?
View Quote

Trying to get propulsion and power any way they could.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:29:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -SkyRaider-] [#30]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

View Quote

Does the engine control module have some sort of “fuck it mode” where all the emissions and self-protective logic is disabled?

Something like War Emergency Power?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Prime:

https://production.listennotes.com/podcasts/stateproof-stoic/subversion-and-S0_eX83Iq2z-y_wOpkMsJZT.400x400.jpg

“As I mentioned before, exposure to true information does not matter anymore,” said Bezmenov. “A person who was demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell nothing to him. Even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents, with pictures; even if I take him by force to the Soviet Union and show him [a] concentration camp, he will refuse to believe it, until he [receives] a kick in his fan-bottom. When a military boot crashes his balls then he will understand. But not before that. That’s the [tragedy] of the situation of demoralization.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3EZCVj2XA
View Quote

I love YB and have listened to him within the last two weeks.

But what on earth does he have to do with this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
Like most catastrophes, I bet this is the culmination of multiple, smaller problems and bad decisions.
Rarely do they seem to be caused by a single failure or choice.
View Quote

How dare you suggest James Reason’s Swiss Cheese model.

Really though, beyond the BS in this thread, this is most certainly the cause of multiple failures.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#33]

Does the engine control module have some sort of “fuck it mode” where all the emissions and self-protective logic is disabled?

View Quote

IDK. Didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night either.
That may have something to do with it though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By sledhead907:

How dare you suggest James Reason’s Swiss Cheese model.

Really though, beyond the BS in this thread, this is most certainly the cause of multiple failures.
View Quote

Yep, usually is.  Along those lines is the Tenerife accident.   HTH can two modern airliners end up in the same runway at the same time?   Crash of the Century, currently free on Tubi, breaks it down.  Huge list of factors.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:39:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#35]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

I love YB and have listened to him within the last two weeks.

But what on earth does he have to do with this?
View Quote

The quality of some of the thinking in this thread and GD in general.

Unified Command, Joint Information Center established for Key Bridge Response 2024

BALTIMORE – A Unified Command and Joint Information Center have been established in Baltimore Wednesday to coordinate response and disseminate information for the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse on Tuesday morning.

The Key Bridge Response 2024 Unified Command includes the:

U.S. Coast Guard

Maryland Department of the Environment

Maryland Transportation Authority

Maryland State Police

Synergy Marine

A website with incident response information can be found at the following URL:

https://www.keybridgeresponse2024.com

The media is requested to call the Joint Information Center at 410-631-8939 for interview response inquiries and interviews.

The Unified Command’s operational priorities are ensuring the safety of the public and first responders, accountability of missing persons, protecting the environment, incident stabilization, safely restoring transportation infrastructure and commerce, and supporting the investigation.

https://www.news.uscg.mil/Press-Releases/Article/3720716/unified-command-joint-information-center-established-for-key-bridge-response-20/

”It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge and I expect the Congress to support my effort,” President Biden pledged yeserday as he delivered remarks on the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. Today House Press Secretary Karine Jeanne-Pierre was joined by Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Vice Admiral Peter W. Gautier, U.S. Coast Guard Deputy Commandant for Operations, for a press briefing on thr efforts to reopen the Port of Baltimore and rebuild the Francis Scott Key Bridge.

No transcript is yet available, but some key information was released, including that a unified command has been set up with Resolve Maritime appointed as the salvor of the ship that struck the bridge, the Dali. The Coast Guard is cooperating with the NTSB on the investigation into the incident and will also convene a Marine Board of Inquiry.

Watch the video for yourself – and compare it with the media coverage you read.

https://www.marinelog.com/news/video-white-house-briefing-on-baltimore-bridge-response/

03/27/24: Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#36]
A Russian cargo ship hits a road bridge in Busan, South Korea. The Korea coastguard said the 5,998-ton Seagrand hit the Gwangan bridge before turning around. No injuries were reported but the bridge was closed for safety checks, the Korea Herald reported. It said the captain had a blood alcohol content of 0.086% when the legal limit is 0.03%. It is not clear if he was at the helm at the time.
View Quote

For a Russian that is probably close to sober
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Startup or heavy load
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Big generators often smoke on startup, check out youtube. They pour the fuel on to get up to operating RPM quickly.

I'm not sure how much pollution control the ship has, you can see constant (less dense than startup, obviously) smoke from the stack in drone footage while the ship is just sitting there in the aftermath.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Ben-Hur (10/10) Movie CLIP - Ramming Speed! (1959) HD
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#41]

No  NTSB for ships?

View Quote

NTSB is lead investigator.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I was just at Taco Bell and ordered a delicious, delicious Baja Blast. When they handed it to me, I noticed there was no straw. I asked why they didn't put a straw in my delicious, delicious Baja Blast, and they told me they ran out because GD has been grasping them all while screaming about Die Hard 4 style hacking. Thanks Obama, your movie is responsible for all of this.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Why are people surprised when technical problems arise on these ships?
They're staffed with crew members making around $2-3/hour.  You won't find highly skilled labor for that, anywhere.  

The majority of Ships' deck crews and related workers earn a salary between  8,291 and  41,707 (rupees) per month in 2024.

Job Responsibilities:
- Standing look-out watches at sea and when entering or leaving harbour or other narrow waters
   - Steering ships according to instructions
   - Handling ropes and wires, and operating mooring equipment
   - Maintaining and, in some cases, operating ships' equipment, cargo gear, rigging, lifesaving and firefighting appliances
   - Performing deck and hull cleaning, scraping, painting and other maintenance duties as required
- Breaking out, rigging and stowing cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging and running gear...

https://paycheck.in/career-tips/role-income/india-ships-deck-crews-and-related-workers
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Why are people surprised when technical problems arise on these ships?
They're staffed with crew members making around $2-3/hour.  You won't find highly skilled labor for that, anywhere.  

The majority of Ships' deck crews and related workers earn a salary between  8,291 and  41,707 (rupees) per month in 2024.

Job Responsibilities:
- Standing look-out watches at sea and when entering or leaving harbour or other narrow waters
   - Steering ships according to instructions
   - Handling ropes and wires, and operating mooring equipment
   - Maintaining and, in some cases, operating ships' equipment, cargo gear, rigging, lifesaving and firefighting appliances
   - Performing deck and hull cleaning, scraping, painting and other maintenance duties as required
- Breaking out, rigging and stowing cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging and running gear...

https://paycheck.in/career-tips/role-income/india-ships-deck-crews-and-related-workers
View Quote

I'm honestly shocked stuff like this doesn't happen every other day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#45]
One thing is for certain. A shipment of fail was departing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:04:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prime] [#46]

NTSB Media Briefing 2 - Francis Scott Key Bridge struck by Cargo Ship Dali

NTSB B-Roll - Investigators Aboard the Cargo Ship Dali

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#47]
Originally Posted By Prime:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJuEIh2XsAAAw6a?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJuES0VXIAAfDwf?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJuEaKpXMAAGP17?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJuEe_hWMAA4nOw?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJuEjEyWAAAuxWv?format=jpg&name=medium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczgLhdqw0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwWVqTy4Ofg
View Quote

"ceased recording', etc

"That's covienent".jpg

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Nah.  Kursk got her bow sliced off, and submarine steel is tough.
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top