Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

@brass see page 8 of the NOAA chart (pdf linked), it states the depths shown are in feet.

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/BookletChart/12281_BookletChart.pdf
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brass:

Looks like about 33ft deep where it hit, the container ship has a draft of 40ft, so even if they clear the bridge wreckage the ship needs to be pulled out of 7ft of mud?

@MarkNH

I believe those depths are in fathoms on the nautical chart, so multiply all the numbers by 6 to get the depth in feet.

@brass see page 8 of the NOAA chart (pdf linked), it states the depths shown are in feet.

To my unknowing eyes, the pilot boarding area is WAY closer to the port than I'd have expected.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Wow, that's some shallow water outside the channel!  2-8 ft deep for large areas I thought a bit off, I guess that is the depth at the lowest low tide?

Seems channel is only ~40 ft deep looking at the other notations on side dredged channels showing 31-48 ft depth but I didn't see a depth for the main marked channel.  

Thanks for full map, I only had the screencap to guess at and not familiar with ocean stuff.  Our rivers here run fast so cut deeper (~15-30 ft) and not so wide so I was confused.

View All Quotes

Looks like about 33ft deep where it hit, the container ship has a draft of 40ft, so even if they clear the bridge wreckage the ship needs to be pulled out of 7ft of mud?

@MarkNH

I believe those depths are in fathoms on the nautical chart, so multiply all the numbers by 6 to get the depth in feet.

Wow, that's some shallow water outside the channel!  2-8 ft deep for large areas I thought a bit off, I guess that is the depth at the lowest low tide?

Seems channel is only ~40 ft deep looking at the other notations on side dredged channels showing 31-48 ft depth but I didn't see a depth for the main marked channel.  

Thanks for full map, I only had the screencap to guess at and not familiar with ocean stuff.  Our rivers here run fast so cut deeper (~15-30 ft) and not so wide so I was confused.

There is a table on page 8 that lists the channel depths. The Ft. McHenry channel is shown as 50' MLLW, (Mean Lower Low Water)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Slickbaby:
So when they rebuild the bridge, will it still be the Francis Scott Key bridge or will they rename it to the James Weldon Johnson bridge?  
View Quote
It won't be the Key bridge.  Elijah Cummings was a congressman from Bmore that died in 2019, I'm guessing it will be named for him.  

But the mayor might auction the name off so who knows.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Why not make the channel 40 ft narrower so the ships would run aground before hitting the pier?   Simpler than installing dolphins...

View Quote

That channel has 2 lanes and they are regularly used as such. That's why.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

It’s going to take a decade to investigate, let the litigation through the court system to work out, then finally get any insurance claim funded. If you can even squeeze blood out of a rock in this case.  

Are we good without a bridge for a decade or more? Or do we want a bridge?

That’s the question.  The proper way to do things would be to fed fund it.  Then have the insurance paid out to cover the costs once it’s done. Because what the bridge was formerly valued at (I guess 1.2b? Is what I read?) is not going to be the replacement cost and clean up cost.  I’m guessing between the clean and replacement we will be over 3B.

So it would be more fitting for insurance to pay for the replacement cost. Not the destroyed objects supposed  value.
View Quote

Not sure if the scale is even close to the same but the San Francisco-Oakland Bay bridge was rebuilt / replaced at the whopping cost of $6.5B. Point is, yeah it’s going to be costly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_span_replacement_of_the_San_Francisco%E2%80%93Oakland_Bay_Bridge
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]

https://www.twz.com/sea/two-of-the-fastest-u-s-sealift-ships-trapped-by-baltimore-bridge-collapse
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://www.twz.com/sea/two-of-the-fastest-u-s-sealift-ships-trapped-by-baltimore-bridge-collapse
View Quote

Wait until Lara Logan hears about this, her take should be interesting
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
There are always cops in that area and like you said, the MTA has an office and an inspection station there. If anyone listens to the scanner audio that was posted, they did stop traffic within about 20 seconds of the collapse.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61581/1000000355_jpg-3170830.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Originally Posted By Blue_Monkey:
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
If not already posted it will be interesting to see the timeline of the distress call from the ship, who received it and when the people at the ends of the bridge were notified so that they could stop traffic from crossing the bridge.  Is that a toll bridge because I have been on some long bridges and don't recall seeing anyone who could have stopped traffic.

Maybe it was police who stopped traffic but even at that, unless the distress call was well in advance of the collision, someone acted very quickly.

I'd like to know the same thing. Closing down a highway isn't quick unless you already have people in place.
There is no access control there. No gates. No tolls.
There are some of those big highway overhead LED signs as you approach. Could get a big "BRIDGE CLOSED" message up
there very quickly.
There is also a Highway Dept. depot just on the north end of the bridge. Some Troopers could have been there and moved to block traffic?

However, you can clearly see traffic going over the bridge, including a number of trucks and then two cars just moments before the collapse.
If they did stop traffic, it was with about 15 seconds to spare.
There are always cops in that area and like you said, the MTA has an office and an inspection station there. If anyone listens to the scanner audio that was posted, they did stop traffic within about 20 seconds of the collapse.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61581/1000000355_jpg-3170830.JPG

The dispatch audio has been published. Cop cars stopped and held traffic on either side of the bridge. By the time calling the construction foreman was discussed, the bridge collapsed.

https://youtu.be/xzOvImnlHFc
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joe731] [#11]
Originally Posted By eesmith:
Impossible starts with the first sentence, which assumes all vessel lights -nav lights, as well as deck and interior lights- are wired into a single switch, instead of at least a dozen (at minimum) switches wired into multiple different breakers that all managed to turn off simultaneously with no asynchronicity, which suggests a problem with the ship's electrical generation. Then it continues on to forgetting there's two 3rd party-assigned pilots that got on board a half-hour before sailing that probably can't be convinced to join the plot, then there's forgetting the VDR onboard as well as well as the forensic investigation that's obviously going to take place.

I could go on, but I think that's sufficient.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214740/IMG_8458-3171042.png

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe731:
Originally Posted By BourbonBeast:
Please explain to me how official institutions and the main stream media fabricated the video evidence of this collision and the emergency calls made by the crew, along with the actions they took to try and stop the ship.

They didn't fabricate any of that stuff.

The captain turns off the lights using a light switch
He radios that they have lost power
He steers the ship towards the bridge
They fire up the emergency generator so the boomer with a computer crew will see the magic smoke on video
He knows that everything this ship does is tracked, so when he knows that it is too late to actually change course, he turns the lights on and steers the ship away from the bridge.  
The collision will still happen, but it looks like he was trying to avoid it.

Which part of that do you think is impossible?  Or even difficult?
Do you think that getting the entire crew in on it would be impossible?  Every navy in history has figured out how to get a group of people onto a ship that all want to accomplish the same thing.
Impossible starts with the first sentence, which assumes all vessel lights -nav lights, as well as deck and interior lights- are wired into a single switch, instead of at least a dozen (at minimum) switches wired into multiple different breakers that all managed to turn off simultaneously with no asynchronicity, which suggests a problem with the ship's electrical generation. Then it continues on to forgetting there's two 3rd party-assigned pilots that got on board a half-hour before sailing that probably can't be convinced to join the plot, then there's forgetting the VDR onboard as well as well as the forensic investigation that's obviously going to take place.

It's not, let's keep going.

You don't think the crew that presumably knows a bit about ships could figure out a way to make the lights go off all at once?
Somebody in this thread named you as an SME, but is your ship so much smarter than you that you couldn't figure out a way to make that happen if you wanted to?
If all of the electricity comes out of one generator you couldn't think of a way to turn all of that off at once?

--"Then it continues on to forgetting there's two 3rd party-assigned pilots that got on board a half-hour before sailing"
Every intelligence agency in the world will be bummed to learn that it's impossible to put people who aren't what they seem to be in important places

--"that probably can't be convinced to join the plot"
Look at this briefcase, it's full of money and pictures of your children

--"forgetting the VDR onboard"
"He knows that everything this ship does is tracked"

--"forensic investigation that's obviously going to take place"
"The cops might investigate, we better not try this crime" -Said a lot of people but not all of them

If the ship bumped into the beach or something this entire incident would occupy half a page of the you laugh you lose thread and that would be that.
But it has a lot more impact than that, and it accidentally worked out in way that some of our enemies love to see.

It probably was an accident.  But blowing it off as such and shitting on everyone who says maybe it wasn't is stupid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Gawd... this will drive the conspiracy nuts even nuttier (even though it feels like most major US ports have military presence and a similar article would be written for any of these).
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Ward Carroll with Sal from What's going on with shipping?

Maritime Expert Analyzes the Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Madcat207:

Gawd... this will drive the conspiracy nuts even nuttier (even though it feels like most major US ports have military presence and a similar article would be written for any of these).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Madcat207:

They'd get 'em out if they needed them.  Strap a dozer blade to the front of an icebreaker or something.  One way or another they'd get them out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TinSpinner:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eesmith] [#16]

You don't think the crew that presumably knows a bit about ships could figure out a way to make the lights go off all at once?
Somebody in this thread named you as an SME, but is your ship so much smarter than you that you couldn't figure out a way to make that happen if you wanted to?
If all of the electricity comes out of one generator you couldn't think of a way to turn all of that off at once?

--"Then it continues on to forgetting there's two 3rd party-assigned pilots that got on board a half-hour before sailing"
Every intelligence agency in the world will be bummed to learn that it's impossible to put people who aren't what they seem to be in important places

"The cops might investigate, we better not try this crime" -Said a lot of people but not all of them

If the ship bumped into the beach or something this entire incident would occupy half a page of the you laugh you lose thread and that would be that.
But it has a lot more impact than that, and it accidentally worked out in way that some of our enemies love to see.

It probably was an accident.  But blowing it off as such and shitting on everyone who says maybe it wasn't is stupid.
View Quote
OK we've gone from a clear lack of knowledge of how ship systems operate driving a facially laughable theory, to rival nation-states assassinating ship pilots and replacing them with doppelgangers. I'm sure directed energy weapons are up next.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]
MV Dali and Port of Baltimore Update - March 27, 2024
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

View All Quotes

The comments on the zerohedge articles about this make ARF look like mensaforums.com
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Please explain to me how official institutions and the main stream media fabricated the video evidence of this collision and the emergency calls made by the crew, along with the actions they took to try and stop the ship.

They fire up the emergency generator so the boomer with a computer crew will see the magic smoke on video
He knows that everything this ship does is tracked, so when he knows that it is too late to actually change course, he turns the lights on and steers the ship away from the bridge.  

Do you think that getting the entire crew in on it would be impossible?  Every navy in history has figured out how to get a group of people onto a ship that all want to accomplish the same thing.

I got into a car accident relatively recently. All evidence points to the at-fault party being an inexperienced driver in early adulthood not understanding how rain affects braking distance.

But, according to you, I should also consider the possibility that the teenager was ACTUALLY an agent of our country’s enemies who was trying to disable or kill me because I work for a defense contractor.

If someone said this to me in person I’d be concerned for their mental well being.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I got into a car accident relatively recently. All evidence points to the at-fault party being an inexperienced driver in early adulthood not understanding how rain affects braking distance.

But, according to you, I should also consider the possibility that the teenager was ACTUALLY an agent of our country’s enemies who was trying to disable or kill me because I work for a defense contractor.

If someone said this to me in person I’d be concerned for their mental well being.
View Quote

If a teenager crashes into the Presidential motorcade, do they exchange insurance and go their separate way five minutes later, or does the Secret Service think about it a little longer?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Karine Jean-Pierre Has No Clue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nB0FatYvc
View Quote
I fixed your sentence.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joe731] [#22]
OK we've gone from a clear lack of knowledge of how ship systems operate
View Quote

Ok let's go at this one point.
All of the ships lights went out at once.  We saw that on video.
The accident that made that happen could not be repeated on purpose?

If you can't think of how to turn a bunch of lights off then I got successfully trolled by whoever called you an expert in anything
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#23]
This thread serves as a poster for the mental health crisis plaguing this country.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Karine Jean-Pierre Has No Clue When Biden Will Visit Site Of Baltimore Bridge Collapse. The site is only 1 hr away from Washington DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nB0FatYvc
View Quote

They could ride the train.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link to upcoming presser

Governor Wes Moore Press Conference on the Collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

They could ride the train.....
View Quote

Ouch!  :)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
This thread serves as a poster for the mental health crisis plaguing this country.
View Quote

I enjoy a good conspiracy theory just as much as the next guy. I also believe our government is into so very evil shit. But the mental gymnastics being performed around this very obvious accident are pretty impressive, even by GD standards.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

My dad was a Panama Canal pilot, and then a New York/Philly harbor pilot.  To get his license, he would have to draw maps like those from memory.  I have some of them framed, pretty incredible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]

If you can't think of how to turn a bunch of lights off then I got successfully trolled by whoever called you an expert in anything
View All Quotes

Thanks for agreeing with me that all the lights went out at once. I can indeed replicate that failure mode, you just won't like how it nukes the rest of your theory.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

There sure are a bunch of lights off, but they aren’t all on that ship. Most of them are in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Occam’s Razor is NEVER in vogue with conspiracy theorists.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I was on a DLG (renamed a cruiser later) and it dropped the load a couple of times.  One time twice in quick succession as the back-up generator system plunked off not too long after kicking in one time.  It's not a remote possibility that back-up systems cold fail or fail to start and run completely/effectively.  I'd have less surprise with a merchant ship that catastrophic system failures could occur.

OTOH, if this is a super sneaky sabotage/terror strike, one has to wonder why it was only half finished.  They snuck a team in, compromised all the necessary crew members, pilots, etc., etc.  But didn't stop the Mayday calls and didn't sink the ship in the channel under/near the bridge.  The channel will be clear in maybe a week.  They'll tow the ship out of there and cut up the bridge sections fouling the channel.   It will take years to replace the bridge so drivers will be screwed but the harbor open soon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for agreeing with me that all the lights went out at once. I can indeed replicate that failure mode, you just won't like how it nukes the rest of your theory.

View All Quotes

Well, don't go on and explain that or anything
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Do we know if the ship’s crew is being held to be interrogated or have they been allowed to flee the country?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
Do we know if the ship’s crew is being held to be interrogated or have they been allowed to flee the country?
View Quote

CG Investigating Officers are having nice long chats with them (others are too)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Do we know if the ship's crew is being held to be interrogated or have they been allowed to flee the country?
View Quote
They're still on the ship.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By freerider04:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By freerider04:

Waterboarding them?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#42]
grab a shitload of airbags, a couple tugs and get the fucking port open.  Decide who's weiner gets smacked later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HIPPO] [#43]
View Quote

This thread is like a copy of so many other threads in GD over the past several years.

Just replace the subject of this thread — the types of responses and discussion among members is shockingly similar.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
The comments on the zerohedge articles about this make ARF look like mensaforums.com
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:

Wish I could say i was shocked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Baltimore Bridge Collapse: Analysis of MV Dali's Collision Course
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#46]
The Dali cargo ship which smashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge suffered a 'severe electrical problem' while docked in Baltimore days before, according to a port worker.

Julie Mitchell, co-administrator of Container Royalty, a company which tracks cargo, told CNN the ship was anchored at the port for at least 48 hours prior to the deadly crash.

Following the devastation, she said: 'And those two days, they were having serious power outages… they had a severe electrical problem. It was total power failure, loss of engine power, everything.'

Mitchell explained that refrigerated boxes tripped breakers on board the ship on several occasions, and mechanics had been trying to fix the issue.

She said she didn't know whether the problem had been fixed when the ship set off.

Mitchell told CNN that major power problems on board large vessels like the Dali are 'not really that common at all', describing the freak incident as 'very rare'.  

'They shouldn't have let the ship leave port until they got it on under control,' she said.

'The vessel went dead, no steering power and no electronics... The smell of burned fuel was everywhere in the engine room and it was pitch black,' the officer said.

When a ship such as the Dali loses power, backup generators kick in but they do not fulfill all of the same functions as the main power, Pagoulatos said.

Inspectors found a problem with the Dali's machinery in June, but a more recent examination did not identify any deficiencies, according to the shipping information system Equasis.

The port authorities said the ship had remained at the dock for repairs for some time after the incident.

'As a general rule, these accidents are investigated and ships are only allowed to leave after experts have determined it is safe for them to do so,' a spokesperson for Antwerp port told Reuters.

Link
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Why stop there? Why are you not considering the most obvious explanation? This was aliens. Aliens were abducting crew members from that ship for their nefarious experiments.

Unless you can conclusively prove that didn't happen, you're a dangerously narrow-minded tool.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#48]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Sounds like most of the guys who fell in, were illegal aliens.  

One guy is a member of Casa Maryland -a group dedicated to helping illegals.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Each green dot is a large container ship or tanker stuck in the Chesapeake Bay, unable to enter the Port of Baltimore

Experts estimated more than $15 million in local economic activity would be lost for every day the port stays shut.

Over the next few weeks, 107 vessels scheduled to dock in Baltimore will have to find another port - and far more the longer the harbor is closed.

Baltimore handled 52.3 million tons of foreign cargo last year worth about $80.8 billion, ranking ninth in the US for both metrics and records for the port.

The cost to shipping, consumers, and the American economy is too early to calculate, but every day the port is closed is $217 million worth of cargo not arriving.

The port generates more than 15,000 jobs, including 2,000 dock workers down $2 million a day in lost wages, and another 140,000 are dependent on port activity.

Link
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top