Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/24/2024 6:44:15 AM EDT
The local NY style pizza places have degraded over the last decade so I decided to make my own.  

I made a lot of Neapolitan pizzas on my egg about 5 years ago, but it's been since.

I have been making 4 16" pizzas weekly since around Jan 1 in my oven at 550 on a stone.  

I've been dialing it in and my dough I can prep in about 10 mins, the sauce in about 5 mins.  They sit for 24 hours.

I typically make them back to back in the evening as my wife and kids like different pizza from me.

Daughter gets a 4 cheese, wife gets mushrooms, pep, black olives, son gets pep, I do pep plus some twists to experiment.

Whole milk low moisture mozz, I just buy the whole ~3lb block from the deli at HEB now.
30% Parmigiano Reggiano
Red Pack crushed tomatoes
King Arthur bread flour
Fresh deli meats
various spices and such

I found the biggest game changer was in the dough handling.  Weigh your ingredients.  I have a ton of restaurant style togo containers, coat in olive oil and the dough doesn't stick. Stretch on a cutting board, transfer to semolina on wooden peel, have the stone laser reading at 550+.

But really the outcome is far greater than the sum of its parts.  Get them all worked out and it's fast, easy, consistent, and amazing.

Once I get my outdoor kitchen laid out I'm getting a pizza oven.

Here's my journey since January in pictures

This is fucking embarrasing and I don't even remember how this happened.  I was using cast iron.  The dough must have stuck on the slide.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I'mma pizza slut, and will put all kinds of pizza in my mouth,
if placed in front of me.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job OP.  You may want to experiment and let the dough cold ferment for 72 hours in the fridge rather than 24.  Might want to make a double batch and try one for 24 hours and the other for 72 hours to see if you can tell the difference.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Garbage plates and now pizza.......TX can't get enough of NY.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I stopped using a stone in favor of cast iron, and instead of using floor when working the dough I switched to a light coating of olive oil.

The two combined give you a much crispier crust and a better flavor profile.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Still difficult to find a decent bagel despite all the Yankee migrants.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You need someone to ship NYC water to you

It's the water that makes it
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Certain areas have mastered certain things. I moved to Mississippi from Vermotn about 9 years ago and can tell you that good pizza is kind of hard to find down here and I would kill someone for fried scallops.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
You need to burn the crust, then tell everyone that is how it is supposed to be cooked
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
High heat from a pizza oven does really help
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Based on photos, I don't think OP has had, and perhaps not seen, NY pizza.

But, at least it isn't some OH man disaster...
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]
My 14-15” pizza dough.

1 1/2 cup bread flour, usually KA
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
2/3 cup water
1/2 3/4  salt edited
2 tsp olive oil

In a food processor with the standard metal blade.

Whiz the flour, yeast and sugar.  Dribble in 2/3 cup water with the machine on.  Let sit ten minutes.  Add olive oil and salt. Food process until the dough comes together in the machine bowl.   Remove from food processor bowl, knead about a minute, it doesn’t take much,  the machine did the gluten development.  Move to a oiled bowl and cover.  Option 1 put in fridge for a day but remove and set it on the counter several hours to warm up.   Option 2. Let sit on counter a good 5-7 hours.

I do fine baking on a regular cheap ugly aluminum pan.  No stone.

I have baked anywhere from 460 to 550 F.   Last night I did it at 550F.  I think you get a bit more heat pop of a rise of the dough in the center.  My dough I thought was too thin last night before baking so I pulled some dough back toward the center.  It was more thick after baking than I expected.  It had a good rise.  

My tips....

a wetter well hydrated dough is best, it rises better and it stretches out better.
a dough needs time, that flour particle needs to hydrate and it will not do it quickly.  It takes hours to do it right.
a cold dough works for no man, a dough not brought up to room temp will spring back when stretched not letting you get the width.  You will also get a too thin or torn center and a huge huge loaf of bread for an outer crust.

Even for my room temp dough that was 6 hours old I had to stretch it and let it sit instead of forcing it to the full diameter, I simply made my fresh sauce
and grated my mozzarella.  Then went back and finished shaping my pizza.

I love my pizza.   There are some better pizzas in real pizzarias but I am making a pizza as good or better than many shops.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

We can send them more New Yorkers!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good job OP.  You may want to experiment and let the dough cold ferment for 72 hours in the fridge rather than 24.  Might want to make a double batch and try one for 24 hours and the other for 72 hours to see if you can tell the difference.
View Quote

This. Also, use sourdough starter and King Arthur "00" flour or similar
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You need to burn the crust, then tell everyone that is how it is supposed to be cooked
View Quote

Lol, I time my pizza to ten minutes, rotating the pan 180 deg at about 5 minutes.  Then I look, if the cheese has no brown spots it stays in until it does.  The browned but not blackened mozzarella has a nutty flavor that I enjoy.  Another two minutes usually does it for some leopard spots.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#17]
The flour can make all the difference.  It’s the gluten level you need.  

Generic store brand flour often has too little gluten to get a good yeast bubble and the right air pockets.  A high quality good grade flour will work better, ie regular King Arthur Flour but best results are with a higher gluten bread flour.

So KA bread flour> KA regular/ store brand bread flour> generic all purpose flour.  

It took me until about age 45 to figure out that making a recipe with cheaper ingredients may get you substandard results.  

I used to make my own italian, french and rye breads.  The bigger fat loaves sometimes would just lay out flat like a cow pie versus keeping or gaining height.  Still delicious but making a corned beef sammich on a rye bread that is 2” tall sucks no matter how the bread tastes.  It finally dawned on me the flour I used was whatever was on sale, the store brand cheap stuff never had the structure to hold themselves up.   Same recipe, same technique with at least store brand bread flour or a good name brand flour would work.

Same discovery on the quality of my pie crusts, no so much the flour there but the shortening.   Crisco and I get a flaky crust like ma’s.  Aldi’s el cheapo shortening and I get a tough lackluster non flaky crust.  I despise the price of Crisco but what’s a guy to do besides switch to pure lard. I haven’t tried the lard but I should.   The breakfast place in the town I used to work in made their own pastries, cinnamon rolls and coconut rolls were to die for.  One evening I was watching the owner make his dough for the next days rolls and asked him why his rolls were always so perfect.  He showed me a drum of lard that I guess was five gallons.   It was in all their rolls and biscuits.  Their strawberry shortcake was legendary!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#18]
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/impact/diversity-equity-inclusion

Remember kids, King Arthur hates you, hates your values, and will discriminate against you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]

One bite, everyone knows the rules
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The flour can make all the difference.  It’s the gluten level you need.  

Generic store brand flour often has too little gluten to get a good yeast bubble and the right air pockets.  A high quality good grade flour will work better, ie regular King Arthur Flour but best results are with a higher gluten bread flour.

So KA bread flour> KA regular/ store brand bread flour> generic all purpose flour.  

It took me until about age 45 to figure out that making a recipe with cheaper ingredients may get you substandard results.  

I used to make my own italian, french and rye breads.  The bigger fat loaves sometimes would just lay out flat like a cow pie versus keeping or gaining height.  Still delicious but making a corned beef sammich on a rye bread that is 2” tall sucks no matter how the bread tastes.  It finally dawned on me the flour I used was whatever was on sale, the store brand cheap stuff never had the structure to hold themselves up.   Same recipe, same technique with at least store brand bread flour or a good name brand flour would work.

Same discovery on the quality of my pie crusts, no so much the flour there but the shortening.   Crisco and I get a flaky crust like ma’s.  Aldi’s el cheapo shortening and I get a tough lackluster non flaky crust.  I despise the price of Crisco but what’s a guy to do besides switch to pure lard. I haven’t tried the lard but I should.   The breakfast place in the town I used to work in made their own pastries, cinnamon rolls and coconut rolls were to die for.  One evening I was watching the owner make his dough for the next days rolls and asked him why his rolls were always so perfect.  He showed me a drum of lard that I guess was five gallons.   It was in all their rolls and biscuits.  Their strawberry shortcake was legendary!
View Quote

Lard is a game changer.  Plus, it’s way better for you than shortening.

I use lard or butter in all my baking, and it’s taken it to the next level.  All the old ladies were pissed when my pie won first place, best of show at the county fair.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's a myth.  At least for pizza.

Born and raised NYer here.  Several place in Detroit Metro do legitimate NY Pizza, including Joe's Pizza, which has 5 locations in NYC, and two others in Miami and Ann Arbor.

OP needs to make sure the dough is kneaded/worked.  That's how you get the chewy crust instead of a bready crust.

Also needs more orange cheese.   Pepperoni certainly helps, but if not using that then a little olive oil helps bring out the orange.

Also need to work the raw dough into a tight ball before proofing.

Proper technique is to press out the ball, by hand, rolling the edges to get a good edge crust.  Rolling pins are frowned upon.  Slap and spin to stretch it to size.  Use a dough docker on proofed dough to eliminate air bubbles.  Use corn meal sparingly for easy transfers between peel and oven.
View Quote

The part in red!  Nothing worse than a bread pizza dough.  It needs that toothy pull, chew factor.

That is where I like the food processor technique.  Assuming you use the flour with sufficient gluten and the right amount of water it is quite hard to not get the gluten development.  My dumb ass can do it right that way with more consistency than by hand or with a kitchen aid mixer and dough hook.  I under knead the dough nearly every time if done by hand or with the mixer.

I have accidentally forgot to knead the dough ball after the food processor, simply transferring it to a glass bowl with olive oil and flipping it to oil all over.  It wasn’t a catastrophic mistake but a nice round ball works in to a round pie better.    That is of course you developed your gluten enough prior to putting in the bowl.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#22]
TAG. Thanks for the dough recipe. I haven't made pizza at home in forever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lard is a game changer.  Plus, it’s way better for you than shortening.

I use lard or butter in all my baking, and it’s taken it to the next level.  All the old ladies were pissed when my pie won first place, best of show at the county fair.
View Quote

Ha!  they get a bit testy when some guy out does them.  

I went to a friend’s bbq where he did an elk loin roast (which was fabulous).  One of our friends was there with his wife and she had my chocolate peppermint crinkle cookies.  I copied the cookie I loved that Panera Bread sold for about $3 each.  No recipe for it but I looked at about 5 recipes and came up with what I thought would work.   Mine were even better than Panera’s.  Anyway our friend’s wife in her former life was a professional baker in her home country in Europe and wouldn’t accept that I made them.   She kept asking me where I bought them until I reeled off the majority of the ingredients and the technique like melting unsweetened dark chocolate in a double boiler and using cocoa powder.  IIRC corn syrup was the key ingredient for a cookie that spreads out and retains its chewy core while having the crusty exterior.  

Sadly I didn’t write the recipe down and the online recipe that was the majority of what I based mine on is a dead link.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought it was the water that made NY Pizza special.  But no harm trying.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The local NY style pizza places have degraded over the last decade so I decided to make my own.  

I made a lot of Neapolitan pizzas on my egg about 5 years ago, but it's been since.

I have been making 4 16" pizzas weekly since around Jan 1 in my oven at 550 on a stone.  

I've been dialing it in and my dough I can prep in about 10 mins, the sauce in about 5 mins.  They sit for 24 hours.

I typically make them back to back in the evening as my wife and kids like different pizza from me.

Daughter gets a 4 cheese, wife gets mushrooms, pep, black olives, son gets pep, I do pep plus some twists to experiment.

Whole milk low moisture mozz, I just buy the whole ~3lb block from the deli at HEB now.
30% Parmigiano Reggiano
Red Pack crushed tomatoes
King Arthur bread flour
Fresh deli meats
various spices and such

I found the biggest game changer was in the dough handling.  Weigh your ingredients.  I have a ton of restaurant style togo containers, coat in olive oil and the dough doesn't stick. Stretch on a cutting board, transfer to semolina on wooden peel, have the stone laser reading at 550+.

But really the outcome is far greater than the sum of its parts.  Get them all worked out and it's fast, easy, consistent, and amazing.

Once I get my outdoor kitchen laid out I'm getting a pizza oven.

Here's my journey since January in pictures

This is fucking embarrasing and I don't even remember how this happened.  I was using cast iron.  The dough must have stuck on the slide.
https://i.imgur.com/SE6Of2N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fVKuDhp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kjAHpUx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X5dIfKN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3tAr6sT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/14B3mlf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HVElFac.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Cd0lz08.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ea05PCc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QcN9hyx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lEK3UzB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2oS8RHp.jpg
View Quote

Check out the book, Pizza Camp. It is how to perfect NY style. His hydration is at like 80% and can be difficult to work with, but 65-70% is pretty manageable. If you want to use the 80%, stretch it out and top it on parchment paper, so the transfer into the oven doesn’t end with it sticking to the peel. I reduce the amount of salt by half and add a tablespoon of cracked black pepper to the dough. I also do an 72 hour cold ferment of the dough and I mix the sauce about 5 days before its use. When baking, after the initial rise of the dough in the oven, switch on the broiler. The broiler will cook the toppings and the stone will cook the crust.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Might want to also check out Pizzamaking.com  a lot of good info.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#27]
So living here I cant just go pick up an SBR anytime I want, but I can just walk less then 5 blocks in almost any direction and pick up a NY slice.  

OP, you need the water, I can ship it to you if you like.  I can source it from the tap or from its source in the streams of the Catskills.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TAG. Thanks for the dough recipe. I haven't made pizza at home in forever.
View Quote

@cjk

I edited the salt to 3/4 tsp as I misremembered but looked at the recipe I left on the counter yesterday.

I got it from Cooks Illustrated.  I halved their recipe as the whole recipe makes my food processor cry.   And it is more than my fat self should eat anyhow.

My sauce

1 cup of crushed tomato or one 12 oz can of diced tomato. (edit not canned tomato sauce, I want the tomato pulp and the flavor profile is different)
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 clove garlic
1/4 tsp dry oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp bk pepper
pinch or two of crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp of sugar.

Blend in food processor until the garlic cloves are fine enough.

Use as is, do not precook the sauce.

Above is enough for two 14-15” pizzas.

I like this way better than the one from the cook’s illustrated pizza recipe, theirs is like a spaghetti sauce to me, not what I expect in a pizza sauce.

Last nights toppings: diced videlia onion, 3/4 can of anchovies fillets and butter sautéed sliced fresh mushrooms.  Dry fresh mushrooms get too dry.  Those little cans of mushrooms work well too as long as they’re drained.  Not as tasty of course but they sit in the cupboard and are there in a pinch.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#30]
School lunch Mexican pizza > NY Pizza

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@cjk

I edited the salt to 3/4 tsp as I misremembered but looked at the recipe I left on the counter yesterday.

I got it from Cooks Illustrated.  I halved their recipe as the whole recipe makes my food processor cry.   And it is more than my fat self should eat anyhow.

My sauce

1 cup of crushed tomato or one 12 oz can of diced tomato
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 clove garlic
1/4 tsp dry oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp bk pepper
pinch or two of crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp of sugar.

Blend in food processor until the garlic cloves are fine enough.

Use as is, do not precook the sauce.

Above is enough for two 14-15” pizzas.

I like this way better than the one from the cook’s illustrated pizza recipe, theirs is like a spaghetti sauce to me, not what I expect in a pizza sauce.

Last nights toppings: diced videlia onion, 3/4 can of anchovies fillets and butter sautéed sliced fresh mushrooms.  Dry fresh mushrooms get too dry.  Those little cans of mushrooms work well too as long as they’re drained.  Not as tasty of course but they sit in the cupboard and are there in a pinch.
View Quote

Fantastic, thanks.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Complete with lunch lady whisker or cat hair at 9 o’clock.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#33]
You're going to need a coal fired pizza oven. Then go to John's on Bleeker Street. You're welcome.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Fantastic, thanks.

View Quote

Gladly......and since I live in NY it must be NY pizza.

I had pizza last night as to cut back on meat.  I have been binging on pork chops and schwein braten lately.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah Utah pizza is moslty cringe. My son asked to get Dominoes the other day, I was horrified.

There is a lady from NJ who has an Italian restaurant that is pretty good. It was funny to hear an Asian lady ranting about how hard it it is to get decent Italian food in the west
View Quote

Well if that legal thing doesn’t work out you can open a pizza parlor.  Cash buyers get the discount.

I recall when IRS/ Tax and Finance auditors started spanking local shops for all the “spoilage” write offs. Auditing their purchases of ingredients and doing the math of how many pizzas versus claimed income.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'mma pizza slut, and will put all kinds of pizza in my mouth,
if placed in front of me.  
View Quote

Line starts behind me pal
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
*boom*
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Still difficult to find a decent bagel despite all the Yankee migrants.
View Quote

@bayouhazard

I make a batch every week

Attachment Attached File

https://www.sophisticatedgourmet.com/2009/10/new-york-style-bagel-recipe/

Use the poke a hole method- it’s way easier and gives more consistent results (like the one on the bottom right). I shape them right out of the mixer then cover them with plastic wrap and stick them in fridge for an hour (or two or more) to rest and rise, then boil them straight from the fridge for two minutes per side. They’re easier to handle without affecting their shape when cold than at room temp.

Sprinkle on your toppings right after pulling them from the boiling water and bake them at 425 until they look slightly less “done” than you think, and less done than this batch for sure.

And definitely weigh the flour if you can for more consistent results
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Line starts behind me pal
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Native New York'er here.....
Moved to the Carolinas and spent 20 years looking for decent pizza again.....

Finally found somewhere with pretty damn good pizza!

Moved to Tennessee....  Now I have to start all over
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I like pizza. I too have been honing my skills.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#43]

That’s what I am talking about getting that cheese a bit of toasted color!  Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#44]
1000F in my Ooni in 55 seconds

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's what I am talking about getting that cheese a bit of toasted color!  Looks great!
View Quote

Pizza steel, 550f, with at least a hour preheat. Rack in the upper third of the oven. Turn it every few minutes until it looks right.

My biggest battle is sticking the landing after opening the gates to hell.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get you some of that yummy NY water!

https://nypost.com/2024/03/20/us-news/rochester-issues-boil-advisory-after-body-found-in-reservoir/amp/
Rochester water is not NYC water.

NYC water supply is its own thing, right from the Catskills.  Amazing story behind the design/engineering/construction.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Those poor pizzas
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Pepp, bacon, red onions…

Not NY style, but still pretty tasty.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I’d try it, sometimes a different thing is a good thing.

Like toppings, I don’t get the same thing every time.  At home I am a bit repetitive due to things I tend to keep on hand.....onions, nearly never run out, canned mushrooms for just such a back up, a can of anchovies, some italian sausage in the freezer,
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

I’d bury my basil if cooking at that temp.  Maybe it’s a thing and I just don’t get it.  

You do have to work on you circular dough shape.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top