BCM
User Panel

Page / 42
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Going to be a mess.

Not sure if I even want to watch football now.
View Quote

Right there with you.

Stupid rules, shitty refs, and silly salaries are eroding some of the luster, also.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Alembic:

Right there with you.

Stupid rules, shitty refs, and silly salaries are eroding some of the luster, also.
View Quote

I still watch, but giving a shit about the game is way less than it used to be. Seems every year they find a way to fuck it up even more.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The NFL says there were 230 hip drop tackles last season.
Just dumb math says that around 20 would occur in the last 5 minutes of a game (230/60 * 5).
Statistically, around half of all NFL games end within one score.

Half of 20 would result in a dumb/overly simplified math total of aprox 10 incidents of this penalty occurring in the final 5 minutes of a 1 score game next season. Extending a potential game winning drive. This also doesn't factor in that a game winning drive can happen well ahead of the 5 minute window. So could be talking about the last 10 minutes of a game, which would double the dumb math incidents to 20.

I'm starting the O/U at 4.5 games in which a Hip Drop Tackle will lead to a result altering score in the 4th quarter during the 2024 season.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By David_ESM:
Negative. Including the In Season, there have been 22 total teams, 8 have made the playoffs.

2001 Ravens (Divisional)
2009 Bengals (Wild Card)
2010 Jets (Conference)
2013 Bengals (Wild Card)
2015 Texans (Wild Card)
2020 Rams (Divisional)
2021 Cowboys (Wild Card)
2023 Dolphins (Wild Card)

The most successful regular season was the 2021 Cowboys who went 12-5 but lost in the Wild Card round to the 49ers. The Dolphins (In Season) went 11-6 last year and then lost to the Chiefs in the Wild Card round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Has a team that's done Hard Knocks ever won the Super Bowl that season?
Negative. Including the In Season, there have been 22 total teams, 8 have made the playoffs.

2001 Ravens (Divisional)
2009 Bengals (Wild Card)
2010 Jets (Conference)
2013 Bengals (Wild Card)
2015 Texans (Wild Card)
2020 Rams (Divisional)
2021 Cowboys (Wild Card)
2023 Dolphins (Wild Card)

The most successful regular season was the 2021 Cowboys who went 12-5 but lost in the Wild Card round to the 49ers. The Dolphins (In Season) went 11-6 last year and then lost to the Chiefs in the Wild Card round.

Thanks.

I was thinking about also asking what was the furtherest a participant got, but didn’t.  You answered it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Right there with you.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
Going to be a mess.

Not sure if I even want to watch football now.

Right there with you.

It could be worse.  It could be a sport that has all of that AND has no salary cap resulting in some teams having multiple players that, individually, make more per season than other teams’ entire roster combined.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hostile1:

Brees did it 5 fucking times. Doesn't get credit because the league is filled with corrupt faggots.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hostile1:
Originally Posted By Maverick52:
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
“Adjusting for inflation,” a QB these days would have to put up a 7,000 yard/70 TD type season before, IMO, it would even warrant having a debate about whether it was better than Marino’s 1984 season.

Maybe a little less than that, but yeah you're not far off IMO.

Nah, he's right on the money. In the '80s, you had defenses literally nearly killing opposing QBs and maiming receivers downfield. It was carnage and as a defensive person myself (having played safety in high school, college, and semi-pro), I loved it.

Using PFR's stats, and only looking at yardage just for the sake of time...

In 1984 there were 13 QB's who threw for more than 3000 yards.
In 2023 there were 19 QB's who threw for more than 3000 yards.

In 1984 there were 3 QB's who threw for more than 4000 yards.
In 2023 there were 10 QB's who threw for more than 4000 yards.

In 1984 there was 1 QB who threw for more than 5000 yards.
In 2023 there were 0 QB's who threw for more than 5000 yards. You can go back to 2020 and only find 3 QB's who broke 5000 yards. Herbert, Brady, and Mahomes.

WG is absolutely correct that the game has changed drastically and that those numbers in 1984 were significantly harder to achieve than they are in today's game, but they're still not being achieved with any frequency in the modern game. HK wanting to adjust for inflation makes sense, I agree with the concept, I'm just saying that a 7k yard/70 TD season in modern times is a bit too much considering only 11 QB's have exceeded Marino's yardage from 1984 and none of them have even exceeded 6k yards yet. Only 4 QB's have exceeded Marino's TD numbers from 1984 with Manning holding the record at 55.

There's no doubt that the league is trending towards Marino's 1984 numbers becoming "normal" but we're not there yet. I'd say "adjusting for inflation" would realistically be more in the 6k yard range if we're basing that off of how close contemporaries of the era were coming to those numbers. If we're just trying to adjust based off rule changes and the physicalness of the game, I don't really think there is any way to do that other than "feels".

Brees did it 5 fucking times. Doesn't get credit because the league is filled with corrupt faggots.

Credit as in…? MVP?

In 08 he had an argument
In 11 Rodgers legitimately beat him.
In 12 Peterson broke 2k rushing…kinda makes sense.  
In 13 Manning legitimately beat him.
In 16 Ryan legitimately beat him.

After looking further back I wonder if the decrease we’ve seen in 5k yard seasons is due to defensive adjustments catching up to the rule changes?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The NFL says there were 230 hip drop tackles last season.
Just dumb math says that around 20 would occur in the last 5 minutes of a game (230/60 * 5).
Statistically, around half of all NFL games end within one score.

Half of 20 would result in a dumb/overly simplified math total of aprox 10 incidents of this penalty occurring in the final 5 minutes of a 1 score game next season. Extending a potential game winning drive. This also doesn't factor in that a game winning drive can happen well ahead of the 5 minute window. So could be talking about the last 10 minutes of a game, which would double the dumb math incidents to 20.

I'm starting the O/U at 4.5 games in which a Hip Drop Tackle will lead to a result altering score in the 4th quarter during the 2024 season.
View Quote

Are you accounting at all for the fact that now it's against the rules, there should be a lot less hip drop tackles?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:

Are you accounting at all for the fact that now it's against the rules, there should be a lot less hip drop tackles?
View Quote
Based on the video examples they gave, I'm not sure the number will truly decline by much. They were showing a number of open field tackles where the defender engaged the ball carrier from the side, and simply due to physics the defender and ball carrier's momentum results in the defender's body swinging to the rear of the ball carrier resulting in completely unintended contact with the ball carrier's legs.

If they are going to call that unintentional contact a Hip Drop Tackle... Then there's going to be lots of 15-yard penalties this year.

But yes, I did reduce my O/U based on the idea that it shouldn't be ENFORCED at a 100% equivalent to 2023's tackles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Bad Twitter video that shows what the NFL just showed in a press conference of an example of a now banned hip-drop tackle.

Fuck... The 49ers/Cowboys Pollard tackle. No way that should be fucking illegal. That will be a 15 yard penalty and a fine for the defender? Fucking nightmare.

Same with the Chiefs/Bengals tackle right after it. That's just hitting a guy from the side and dropping your weight to make a tackle man. What do you want guys to do? Blow out his knee with their helmet/shoulder instead?
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]

It could be worse.  It could be a sport that has all of that AND has no salary cap resulting in some teams having multiple players that, individually, make more per season than other teams’ entire roster combined.
View Quote

I'm guessing NBA, because MLB only recently went to some dumb rules. And MLB umpires are the best of any sport.

I can't stand the NBA as it is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm guessing NBA, because MLB only recently went to some dumb rules. And MLB umpires are the best of any sport.

View All Quotes

No, MLB.

The NBA, for all its MANY faults, at least has a salary cap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]

No, MLB.

View All Quotes

No, MLB.

MLB has a luxury tax, it can become cost prohibitive over time if over the tax limit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Requiem:

MLB has a luxury tax, it can become cost prohibitive over time if over the tax limit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Requiem:

No, MLB.

A luxury tax is a far cry from a salary cap.

Heading into 2023, the biggest team payroll in MLB history was the 2022 Dodgers at $285M.  In 2023, the Mets obliterated the record with a team payroll of $353M.  And then, hilariously, they went on to finish the season with a 75-87 record.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Heading into 2023, the biggest team payroll in MLB history was the 2022 Dodgers at $285M.  In 2023, the Mets obliterated the record with a team payroll of $353M.  And then, hilariously, they went on to finish the season with a 75-87 record.
View Quote

Lol, right, the biggest payroll doesn't come with a guarantee. See the modern day Yankees.  .

And the salaries are crazy but how many are a Million bucks a week, like NFL QBs?

Not hating, but the NFL player culture is just reaching peak stupid for a sport with a 17-20 game season.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Lol, right, the biggest payroll doesn't come with a guarantee. See the modern day Yankees.  .

And the salaries are crazy but how many are a Million bucks a week, like NFL QBs?

Not hating, but the NFL player culture is just reaching peak stupid for a sport with a 17-20 game season.

View All Quotes

I’m not talking about how much players get paid per week though. I’m talking about having a level playing field (or as close as possible) when it comes to team payroll.

In MLB you have some teams that have an owner spending money like trailer park trash that just won a $500M jackpot while other teams have owners that are spending money like a old lady standing in front of the grocery store cashier as she searches through her purse for a 50 cent off milk coupon she cut from the Sunday paper.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Had to google to see what is a "hip-drop tackle".
After a dozen videos of idiots talking about it, I finally found a video with a bunch of examples.

All I can say is WTF.

Imagine a little DB trying to tackle a huge TE?
Might as well jump on their back and go for a piggy back ride down the field.

Is this one rule they repeal?

What is the over/under for the number of calls during the game?
Have to go with 7?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting that the defending champs also have the 6th most cap space currently.  Got to keep that dead money to a minimum 😎
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Less games, but Id wager to say that the injury/serious injury/career ending injury percentages are way higher than the other sports listed. Also way more CTE, just look at good ole AB
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#19]

How bout No.
That's basic football fan shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Pardon me for not knowing the jersey number for a dude that played back in nineteen dickety two.

How bout No.
That's basic football fan shit.

For old people.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

I think it's hard for us to remember how hard it can be to officiate football when we're sitting at home watching instant replays on 4k big screen TVs. In this game, when the ball is snapped, you have 22 guys running and fighting all over a big field, a lot of plays are mayhem, and there are things that need to be watched all over the field, even in places where the ball isn't. This doesn't excuse NFL refs for still struggling with PIs and "what is a catch?," but there's a lot of difficulty to the job.

Meanwhile, baseball is a relatively slow sport, the umps only have to watch a batter and maybe a couple of base runners, and they still struggle with stuff like whether or not the batter swung at a pitch. MUCH easier job, and they get it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:14:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy] [#21]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:
Interesting that the defending champs also have the 6th most cap space currently.  Got to keep that dead money to a minimum 😎
View Quote

The Chiefs don't have a LT, they only have one NFL quality DE on the active roster, they still need a veteran WR, they have zero RB depth behind Pacheco, and they just traded away a cornerstone defensive player for a 2025 3rd round pick.

Let's crack the beers when they have a complete roster.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#22]

The Chiefs don't have a LT, they only have one NFL quality DE on the active roster, they still need a veteran WR, they have zero RB depth behind Pacheco, and they just traded away a cornerstone defensive player for a 2025 3rd round pick.

View Quote

So is this post this years "they're not a contender" post?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#23]

A Wednesday football game was a fun novelty in the covid season when everything was weird, I didn't care about either team playing, and I was working from home.

A Wednesday football game on Christmas is just gross.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#24]

In 2023 there were 0 QB's who threw for more than 5000 yards. You can go back to 2020 and only find 3 QB's who broke 5000 yards. Herbert, Brady, and Mahomes.

WG is absolutely correct that the game has changed drastically and that those numbers in 1984 were significantly harder to achieve than they are in today's game, but they're still not being achieved with any frequency in the modern game. HK wanting to adjust for inflation makes sense, I agree with the concept, I'm just saying that a 7k yard/70 TD season in modern times is a bit too much considering only 11 QB's have exceeded Marino's yardage from 1984 and none of them have even exceeded 6k yards yet. Only 4 QB's have exceeded Marino's TD numbers from 1984 with Manning holding the record at 55.

There's no doubt that the league is trending towards Marino's 1984 numbers becoming "normal" but we're not there yet. I'd say "adjusting for inflation" would realistically be more in the 6k yard range if we're basing that off of how close contemporaries of the era were coming to those numbers. If we're just trying to adjust based off rule changes and the physicalness of the game, I don't really think there is any way to do that other than "feels".
View All Quotes
“Adjusting for inflation,” a QB these days would have to put up a 7,000 yard/70 TD type season before, IMO, it would even warrant having a debate about whether it was better than Marino’s 1984 season.

Nah, he's right on the money. In the '80s, you had defenses literally nearly killing opposing QBs and maiming receivers downfield. It was carnage and as a defensive person myself (having played safety in high school, college, and semi-pro), I loved it.

You are very focused on the 5,000 yards passing while omitting the 48 passing TDs.

To put into perspective how absolutely insane 48 passing TDs is in 1984: there were ZERO QBs in the 70s that EVER passed for 30 TDS in a season and the most in 1983 was 32.  Then here comes Marino and destroys the record with 48.  It would be like a QB in 2024 throwing 67 TDs and that does NOT even take into account “inflation” due to the rule changes.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of the rule votes this morning:
  • Approved review of game clock expiration at the end of a quarter.
  • Approved replay reviews to confirm if a QB was down or not before a pass.
  • Approved emergency QB can come from the practice squad.
  • Approved the dumbshit pop fly half field kickoff. Video example: Twitter
  • Approved restricting onside kicks to the 4th quarter and overtime. No surprise onside kicks allowed.
  • Approved moving the trade deadline back to after week 9 games.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Well run NFL teams are well run. Shitty organizations are shitty.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#27]

It's nice to see he got paid, but I'm also mostly glad a different team did it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Some of the rule votes this morning:
  • Approved review of game clock expiration at the end of a quarter.
  • Approved replay reviews to confirm if a QB was down or not before a pass.
  • Approved emergency QB can come from the practice squad.
  • Approved the dumbshit pop fly half field kickoff. Video example: Twitter
  • Approved restricting onside kicks to the 4th quarter and overtime. No surprise onside kicks allowed.
  • Approved moving the trade deadline back to after week 9 games.
View Quote

No surprise onside kicks allowed?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

View Quote

Nah. We still have 30 days until the draft, and the roster is actively being worked on.

It's more about putting the appropriate asterisks on things like this:

Originally Posted By colklink:

View Quote

When your team has major holes at 3 of the 4 most expensive positions in the league, you're probably either under the cap or you're the New Orleans Saints.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#30]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

View Quote
With the new kickoff rules having all the players line up next to each other on the same side of the field, it's impossible to do an onside kick from that alignment. So you have to announce it so they can move all the players back to the old alignment.

Edit: New kick off alignment:

Kickoff scenarios:
  • Kickoffs that hit the landing zone must be returned.
  • Kickoffs that hit the landing zone and then go into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. If downed, the receiving team would get the ball at its own 20-yard line.
  • Kickoffs that go into the end zone and stay inbounds that are downed would give the receiving team the ball at their own 30-yard line. Kickoffs that go out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) would also be a touchback at the receiving team's 30-yard line.
  • Kickoffs short of the landing zone would be treated like a kickoff out of bounds, and the receiving team would get the ball at its own 40-yard line.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:32:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David_ESM] [#31]
Edit: Already covered.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#32]

That's a pretty big change.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#33]
With the new kickoff rules having all the players line up next to each other on the same side of the field, it's impossible to do an onside kick from that alignment. So you have to announce it so they can move all the players back to the old alignment.

https://footballscoop.com/.image/t_share/MjA1MjkyODAxNTYxMjA4Nzg4/new-kickoff.jpg

Kickoff scenarios:
  • Kickoffs that hit the landing zone and then go into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. If downed, the receiving team would get the ball at its own 20-yard line.
  • Kickoffs that go into the end zone and stay inbounds that are downed would give the receiving team the ball at their own 30-yard line. Kickoffs that go out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) would also be a touchback at the receiving team's 30-yard line.
  • Kickoffs short of the landing zone would be treated like a kickoff out of bounds, and the receiving team would get the ball at its own 40-yard line.
View All Quotes

https://footballscoop.com/.image/t_share/MjA1MjkyODAxNTYxMjA4Nzg4/new-kickoff.jpg

Kickoff scenarios:

It seems like the simple solution would be to kick off from the 25 or 30 yard line instead of all these gyrations. Make the play meaningful or eliminate it altogether by just starting from the 20 with no kick off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Kickoff scenarios:
View Quote

This is worse than the hip drop tackle rule.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Approved by 29 of 32 owners.
Packers, 49ers and Raiders dissented.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Nah. We still have 30 days until the draft, and the roster is actively being worked on.

When your team has major holes at 3 of the 4 most expensive positions in the league, you're probably either under the cap or you're the New Orleans Saints.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

Originally Posted By colklink:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Kickoff scenarios:

I'll reserve judgement on the new kickoff rule when we see how it plays out.

Kickoffs were pretty bad last year. It was almost like they were ceremonial plays for tradition's sake. If the new rules make them more fun and exciting, it's a win.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

It’s only going to get worse and worse.

I fear having, in effect, a PPV only playoff game opened Pandora’s Box.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:18:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lefty-weaver-g19] [#40]

View All Quotes

They have a couple tackles although they may not be the only ones they start the season with.  They also have onenihu and the other guy that was a first round pick with a name I can’t spell at DE. Both solid players.  They don’t need another veteran WR they can add WR in the draft.  

The chiefs are in a good place. Every roster has holes.

Trading sneed wasn’t about getting draft picks it was about the long term cap and getting something now rather than nothing later.  Well run teams are playing the long game not just what is best right now.

Let me guess half way through last year you were saying the chiefs weren’t a contender as well ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#41]

https://imgb.ifunny.co/images/e571a1b07d71df566bf21d3e22abdfc591b31f68ab918e21853eafafa8c433fe_1.jpg

https://i.redd.it/z2iwtlv4jbib1.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQtv5qLyESHM3a0DthnbZcSN5OoGbEzLWwIeQ2W6AGCQ&s

I think it's hard for us to remember how hard it can be to officiate football when we're sitting at home watching instant replays on 4k big screen TVs. In this game, when the ball is snapped, you have 22 guys running and fighting all over a big field, a lot of plays are mayhem, and there are things that need to be watched all over the field, even in places where the ball isn't. This doesn't excuse NFL refs for still struggling with PIs and "what is a catch?," but there's a lot of difficulty to the job.

Meanwhile, baseball is a relatively slow sport, the umps only have to watch a batter and maybe a couple of base runners, and they still struggle with stuff like whether or not the batter swung at a pitch. MUCH easier job, and they get it wrong.
View All Quotes

https://imgb.ifunny.co/images/e571a1b07d71df566bf21d3e22abdfc591b31f68ab918e21853eafafa8c433fe_1.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQtv5qLyESHM3a0DthnbZcSN5OoGbEzLWwIeQ2W6AGCQ&s

To be fair, the NFL is perfectly capable of sitting some refs in a booth with some 4K TV’s…

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#42]

You are very focused on the 5,000 yards passing while omitting the 48 passing TDs.

To put into perspective how absolutely insane 48 passing TDs is in 1984: there were ZERO QBs in the 70s that EVER passed for 30 TDS in a season and the most in 1983 was 32.  Then here comes Marino and destroys the record with 48.  It would be like a QB in 2024 throwing 67 TDs and that does NOT even take into account “inflation” due to the rule changes.  
View All Quotes

I didn’t pull up the TD stats simply because I didn’t want to spend more time on that post.

As you laid it out, the TD’s certainly are an even more impressive stat. Harder to quantify though, IMO, which is why I went to yards.

We can dive into it some more in the really boring weeks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:37:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheHunstman] [#43]

View All Quotes

Kickoff scenarios:

Yeah that seems confusingly horrible compared to just moving the kickoff back 10 yards or so.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Kickoffs were pretty bad last year. It was almost like they were ceremonial plays for tradition's sake. If the new rules make them more fun and exciting, it's a win.
View All Quotes

Kickoff scenarios:

It will be about like this:

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#47]

They have a couple tackles although they may not be the only ones they start the season with.  They also have onenihu and the other guy that was a first round pick with a name I can’t spell at DE. Both solid players.  They don’t need another veteran WR they can add WR in the draft.  

Trading sneed wasn’t about getting draft picks it was about the long term cap and getting something now rather than nothing later.  Well run teams are playing the long game not just what is best right now.

Let me guess half way through last year you were saying the chiefs weren’t a contender as well ?
View All Quotes

The only proven OT on the roster right now is Jawaan Taylor. Morris is a developmental guy with starter potential.

The only proven DE on the active roster right now is Karlaftis. Omenihu tore his ACL in the AFCCG. That was January 28. We shouldn't expect him back before October, it could be closer to December, and we don't know what kind of shape he'll be in. FAU is, again, a developmental player at best. They should work on him, but they shouldn't bet the season on him. They still can and probably should bring back Mike Danna, but if they don't they're looking at 1,000 or so DE snaps they need to replace between him and Omenihu.

The WR situation is more complicated. Rashee Rice and Hollywood Brown are both pretty good WR2s on paper, but the caveats are Rice is entering his sophomore season and Brown has a history of injury issues and is on a 1 year prove-it deal for a reason. Behind those two, it's not good. Watson and Toney are ST guys at best, and Moore is a bust. Kelce is getting older and visibly fading, and there isn't another receiving TE to fill those shoes, either. They need two more guys at WR, and only one should be a rookie. The other guy should be a veteran with starter potential.

WR isn't the only position the Chiefs should be shopping at #32, and we don't know who will still be on the board there. The Chiefs also have a pretty bad record of drafting WRs.

I don't think the Chiefs need $20M+ APY star player splash signings to fill these holes, but the kind of workhorse players they need probably won't be super cheap.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#48]

To be fair, the NFL is perfectly capable of sitting some refs in a booth with some 4K TV’s…

View All Quotes

While this is true, the NFL will need to balance that capability with keeping the games moving. We already have enough disgusting flag-fest games. Sky judges fixing high profile misses is one thing, but the risk is instant-replaying the game to death with unseen refs deciding things like what is and is not a holding.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Kickoff scenarios:
View All Quotes

Kickoff scenarios:

I don’t hate the concept, but I dislike drastic changes to the game like this
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Don't they know how many fantasy leagues don't run waivers until Thursday morning?
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top