User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Depending on the type of electric fuel pump you get is where you are going to mount it.
If it's an in the tank pump, well....

If it's a pusher type then you want to mount it close to the gas tank.
If it's a sucker type you want to put it near the carb.

You will have to plumb a return line.

You electric connection will have to be on a circut that is energized when the ignition is on, you can tap into an accessory for the power on and a hot lead off of the battery.
Or just follow the directions.

You will also need a blank-off plate for the mechanial fuel pump.
Should be included in the kit.

Thanks - I just looked around in the Jeg's catalog, and I see what you are talking about.  That will definietely be worth exploring.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]
From another forum's how-to section (its actually from a how-to on converting from an auto tranny to a manual)

About half way through, you will begin to hate your car and yourself, as well as having serious doubts about the reasoning behind doing this. You will question your commitment, the quality of the car, your mother’s pedigree, and the size of your genitals. This will pass. Probably.

Don't give up.

edited to fix quote (i hope)
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#4]
or you could just puss out and buy one of these.

But what fun would that be.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Dk,  if your going to post i pic of your ride im gonna have to post a pic of mine.

no its not the minivan
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Find local vocational / trade schools, go in and meet with the instructors and tell them what you have in mind and what your expectations are. Be reasonable, dont expect a concours resto but inform them you want a safe, good looking car without any structural problems that runs good. Most shops have seperate facilities for the gear heads and the body shop guys. Some even have classes or lessons on auto interior refinishing. Tell them you will be glad to make a donation to make the problems go away but that you will inspect the car before paying. A car like your would normally be a dream for a teacher to get in the shop.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Find local vocational / trade schools, go in and meet with the instructors and tell them what you have in mind and what your expectations are. Be reasonable, dont expect a concours resto but inform them you want a safe, good looking car without any structural problems that runs good. Most shops have seperate facilities for the gear heads and the body shop guys. Some even have classes or lessons on auto interior refinishing. Tell them you will be glad to make a donation to make the problems go away but that you will inspect the car before paying. A car like your would normally be a dream for a teacher to get in the shop.

S.O.

I'm definitely going to follow up on that now.  I've spent some time looking around last night, and I have a list of phone numbers I'm going to call next week.  maybe if I'm lucky one of those will work out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Along the lines of the replacement body idea, if you could find a complete car with a good body that you could temporarily afford to buy, you could install the new stuff (engine and whatever else you've invested in) into it and then part out the remainder to defray the purchase cost. I may be blowing smoke out my butt as I have no clue as to the marketability of used Mach 1 parts, but it might be a viable solution.

CW (BTDT with a 1970 Porsche 914-6)
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
BUY A RELIABLE HONDA YOU CRAZY DUTCH FOOL!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
BUY A RELIABLE HONDA YOU CRAZY DUTCH FOOL!

Remind me again which Honda has a 5.7 litre V-8    

... yeah, I know.  I'm doing this to myself.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Well compared to how the front of mine looks after being nearly fixed it dont look that bad.  I have seen much worse.  I "fixed" mine with a sledgehammer and an output shaft off a transmission.

It dont look right but it beats the body shop scraping it like they tried.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Fuck Honda.

Get that old boat fixed up and sell it before somebody wrecks into it.

Busted knuckles, header burns & brake fluid in hair is for younger folks.

Get a 2005 Mustang GT when they come out and get the extended warranty.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't give up, DK.  Check your IM.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Another piece of advice I have to anybody looking to "fix up" an old car, if you are going to have to depend on driving it everyday while you are fixing it up, don't bother, you will likely never get anything done, you will spend so much money just barely keeping it on the raod dealing with the minor problems you face with a thirty or forty year old car, that you will find it nearly impossible to invest in the items that need doing that cost alot of money.

I agree Im kinda doing this right now, but not by choice.  The car that was being fixed became daily driver when the main car got screwed up.  But on the other hand if I didnt have it I would had been really screwed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Get an electric pump. If you want to go the easy way out then get a blank off plate for the mechanical pump "hole". mount the electric pump to the fender run a power line to the inside of the car and put a toggle switch on it, then run the other end of the power line to the battery. you have to switch the toggle switch on before you start the car every time. kind of a cheaters way of doing it, but it works.

Have you checked into a fiberglass replacement body? I don't know if they make them for your mach, but if they make them for Scouts surely someone out there makes them for a mach. They are not cheap probably around $4000 atleast but the headaches they save is well worth the price. You'd probably have atleast that much in a body shop fixing up your body.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
bring it to bulletfest.

That's just cold, Bob!  

Nice garage, DK!  I wish I had a garage...engine swaps on a dirt driveway suck.  Just think how satisfying it will be to drive around when you're done!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got my junkyard network in western kentucky checking around to see if they can find any good bodies for you DK. He knows of just about every "old" car in western/central kentucky, south east missouri, and southern illinois. If there is one in that area worth a darn he'll let me know about it. Figured it might be worth a shot, but usually the older stuff down there is just as bad as what you have, but it is worth a shot.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel your pain brother, indeed I do.

It is worth saying though that if it was cheap and easy then everybody would be doing it.

This was about two weeks ago. The engine is back in and the drive line has been re-attached. I should have it fired this week. It's my first rebuild but without a doubt not my last. I also picked a poor candidate for a rebuild with rusted body mounts, a drive line that has been flogged on and various other ailments but when all is said and done it will be a very capable truck.  I am a little more knowledgable now and aim not to repeat the same mistakes but I'd still do it all over again.

I'm literally having nightmares that the engine lunches on start-up.

Hang in there!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've got my junkyard network in western kentucky checking around to see if they can find any good bodies for you DK. He knows of just about every "old" car in western/central kentucky, south east missouri, and southern illinois. If there is one in that area worth a darn he'll let me know about it. Figured it might be worth a shot, but usually the older stuff down there is just as bad as what you have, but it is worth a shot.  

Thanks - I reall appreciate it.  BUt don't go out of your way right now - I think I'm definitely going to explore the options in terms of repair (or getting a trade school to work on it) BEFORE I think about the major step of getting ANOTHER body and ending up with TWO Mach 1's, just to get one good one out of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks - I reall appreciate it.  BUt don't go out of your way right now - I think I'm definitely going to explore the options in terms of repair (or getting a trade school to work on it) BEFORE I think about the major step of getting ANOTHER body and ending up with TWO Mach 1's, just to get one good one out of it.

he usually just has to make a couple phone calls, if he doesn't already know where any are off the top of his head. he had a 71 a couple years ago that had a rock solid body, but everything else was trashed. sold it for a couple hundred dollars if i remember correctly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

5.7 V8…pfttt! …2.2L iVTEC does the job

Seriously though… Mustangs are totally cool… Loved them since I first saw Steve McQueen in Bullit… the best chase sequence EVER!

Andy
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Is that a 300cid inline 6cyl.?  That's what I've got in my PU Truck but is doesn't look like that.LOL.  I blew a head gasket last year and had to replace it and while I was at it I replaced a butt load of other stuff including a total rebuild of the rear brakes, they were badly rusted as it the entire truck.  I love my ol' '83 Ford Pick Up Truck but it really needs a total frame up resrotation, way too much rust and it sits so much that it's not getting any better either.  I can't afford a new truck and I don't know that I'd want one with all the crap that they put on em' today. I just wish I  could make my '83 "like new", that'd make me a very happer camper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
(snip)So there's a LOT of body work - in addition to a number of spots on the quarter panels that are really uneven - or have rusted (around the wheels) or have been previously welded.

(snip)
But - you're absoultey right.  If it's possible to get it done without completely breaking the bank, I definitely want to keep it.

(snip)I DO love the early 70s Mach 1's

Then just do it. One step at a time.

It will take a long time, years, but the result will be worth it.

BTW it is hard to find any Mach 1 in good orig., unrestored shape. Everybody who owned one beat the ever-loving hell out of it. They were so cheap to buy in the late 70s that even I owned one for a few weeks. It looked and ran like it had been through a war zone.

When it's done, next time you go to Denmark, take the car back with you on a container ship (after making sure you have done major anti-rust preventive coatings inside the body and underneath), and when you get to Copenhagen, hang out with the US muscle car clubs in Tivoli and other places, on Friday nights.

They will be impressed, gair-ron-tee.

BRRROOOOOM!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Another piece of advice I have to anybody looking to "fix up" an old car, if you are going to have to depend on driving it everyday while you are fixing it up, don't bother, you will likely never get anything done, you will spend so much money just barely keeping it on the raod dealing with the minor problems you face with a thirty or forty year old car, that you will find it nearly impossible to invest in the items that need doing that cost alot of money.

I agree Im kinda doing this right now, but not by choice.  The car that was being fixed became daily driver when the main car got screwed up.  But on the other hand if I didnt have it I would had been really screwed.

I know somebody whose modern daily driver car has shit the bed, and until he can replace it, has to do the same with a 1940 Ford coupe he is restoring....
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/s2000.jpg

Seriously though… Mustangs are totally cool… Loved them since I first saw Steve McQueen in Bullit… the best chase sequence EVER!

Andy

agreed.

so instead of trying to resurrect an old warhorse (yeah, I loved them too) why not get the looks of the old Mustang with the technology of today?

http://home.comcast.net/~tuki12/index5.html

best of both worlds, one might say?

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
home.woh.rr.com/picturesandstuff/IM000983_1.jpg
Is that a 300cid inline 6cyl.?  That's what I've got in my PU Truck but is doesn't look like that.LOL.  I blew a head gasket last year and had to replace it and while I was at it I replaced a butt load of other stuff including a total rebuild of the rear brakes, they were badly rusted as it the entire truck.  I love my ol' '83 Ford Pick Up Truck but it really needs a total frame up resrotation, way too much rust and it sits so much that it's not getting any better either.  I can't afford a new truck and I don't know that I'd want one with all the crap that they put on em' today. I just wish I  could make my '83 "like new", that'd make me a very happer camper.

Good eye.

It's a heavily molested '84 300 that's going in an '89 F150 4X4.

It doesn't take to make 'em look good really. A couple of cans of engine paint (Old Ford Blue) a $30 valve cover from Ebay, some thick and juicy plug wires from your favorite parts store and some elbow grease to take off the years of grime.

EFI manifolds flow almost as well as headers but they don't look as good but they will last longer. I'm going back to a carbed motor for ease of maintenance and troubleshooting plus it open the engine bay up.

Here are two very good Inline 6 forums.

www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

fordsix.com/forum/

Sorry for the Hijack DK.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed.

so instead of trying to resurrect an old warhorse (yeah, I loved them too) why not get the looks of the old Mustang with the technology of today?

BOING! I'v got wood!

Andy
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#29]
e-bay is your friend...Mach 1

CW
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

CW

not always I had some trouble with parts I ordered from there.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

CW

That's pretty much EXACTLY how I ended up with this one - note he says that "It has some rust and needs some bodywork and paint to be a great looker."

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Well - I put the old fuel pump back in, and it seems fine - I'm going to try to drive it a bit to make sure it's still good.

I'll be sure to bring the cell phone and the number of the local tow truck company
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Pervert...

Quoted:

BOING! I'v got wood!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/bbullittf.jpg

Andy

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#34]
the '05's look great (from the outside) - the dash is a retro style that an artsy-fartsy designer might like, but not so hot for a driver - gauges should be white numerals on black background only, thank you very much (BMW has had a proper dash for years, why does Detroit not recognize this? Even an MGB dash is good compared to the art deco deep pods of the Mustang. Still, with such an alluring exterior, cockpit design miscues may be overlooked (or modified if one has the time & resources)

I might also add that it is quite damning to current "designers" that they have to fetch back 30+ years to create a good-looking car. The same applies to other marquees - put an '04 vette next to a '69 Stingray - hardly an improvement unless you like blocky, decidedly asexual designs. Maybe the black turtleneck-clad designers in Detroit are asexual themselves?

Whoever did give the order to freshen up the '67 stang deserves kudos. Now, someone at GM needs to redo the '69 RS (or Yenko) Camaro, 70 1/2 T/A, 69 GTO, 442, Chevelle and GS Stage 1, while the krauts, I mean "Daimler-Chrysler need to get a Plum Crazy 'cuda ragtop on the floor with a REAL hemi...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
BTT because I STILL haven't read this and I'm debating whether or not to restore my '68 or park it in the desert to rot forever.....

Well, let me tell you my conclusion

The people who are saying "if you want a restored car, BUY a restored car, because it will be cheaper than restoring it yourself" - are RIGHT!

By the time I am done with this, it will have cost MORE than I could have bought a fully restored one, and it will NOT be as nice.  I've essentially screwed myself by thinking that I could do this, and am going to end up spending much more money to get something that is much less nice than I could have gotten had I just ponied up the cash to start with.

So - my advice is - IF you enjoy tinkering with cars, and and want a multi-year hobby, start the restoration.  BUT - if you really just want a 1968 mustang to tool around in, save yourself the grief and buy a restored one (unless yours is already much of the way there - and really just needs a tuneup and a good paintjob - which is what the ASSHOLE who sold me mine told me, and I was stupid enough and ignorant enough to believe him )
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Sigh.  Well, all that work I had planned on starting on mine today didn't happen.  I got out into the shop and looked around at the condition of the floor and the bench and couldn't stand it any more.  I spent  the day cleaning the shop instead.  I'd have a lot more room if there wasn't a 1968 Galaxie 500 Fastback in there as well.  Talk about one that needs some restoration...  I keep waiting for my dad to say "go ahead and do it, I'll pay."  He bought it new in '68 and it's been in the family ever since.  Kinda hard to let her go.

DK, you going to Gunstock?  If so, we'll swap Stang stories over a cold one or two.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Half the fun of old cars is tinkering with them... for many it's therapy.

Someday I may do it again, but for now, I just want something that runs all the time, every time. Give me a truck or SUV that can haul stuff and get decent mileage (>12, lol) and I'm happy.

Not sure what kind of cars the Dutch highschoolers drive, thought they spent most of their time running around in those wooden shoes...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#40]
For a classic car that needs body work it can often be cheaper and faster to just buy quality repro parts and bolt them on. Then you KNOW it was fixed the way it should be. For floor pans or wiper cowls, don't "fix" them, replace them, then glass them. It will require welding skills in both cases but it's the only way to ensure a quality, good looking, and  lasting repair. If you can go fiberglass and it is a quality part, even better, it'll never rust and be very light weight. Shaving wieght is like gaining HP, letting you run a more conservative gas saving engine and having the same performance as a HiPo engine.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:51:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Fuck, I shouldn't have read this....I'm about to start restoring a '68 'Stang  

Wolfpack, is yours a fastback or a coupe?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
One local High school used to offer a body shop class, but that has been abandoned at the moment.

Not to hijack, but I was in our HS's last autoshop class in 1999, when I was a junior. I would have loved to take the advanced class they had offered a few years before, but was too late unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/s2000.jpg

Andy

that looks cool, but i bet you have have advanced anorexia to be comfortable in it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:47:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed.

BOING! I'v got wood!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/macandy/bbullittf.jpg

Andy

IMO the new 05 stang looks kinda  plane vanilla.
Like its missing something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:52:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Just treat it like a long-term project.  It doesn't have to be fixed up by next summer--you can take years on it.  

BTW your Mustang looks just like a yellow Mustang a friend of mine drove back in the mid-80s.  Great car.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

DK, you going to Gunstock?  If so, we'll swap Stang stories over a cold one or two.

Woody

It looks like I won't be able to - since I do all of my teaching from October to December, and proabbly have to travel that weekend for a research meeting in L.A.   Bummer - it would have been fun to have heard other horror stories so I wouldn't feel so bad about mine
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Mustang is a girls car.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Mustang is a girls car.

You must be confused :

THIS might be a girl's car:

THIS is definitely not:

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top