User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't think the absence of Body Armor was that big of an error..The guy was suicidal for the first quarter of the movie, maybe his own life wasn't that important to him..Biggest error I saw was when he was interrogating the kidnapper in the car.  The kidnapper has these funky sunglasses on throughout the whole ordeal except for one of those weird cutaway shots when they are discussing "The Voice"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing that could have been better is at the end, since he knew he was going to die, he should have had one of thoese "special" butt bombs and blew up that car as they drove away.

That would have sucked.  I would rather die in piece than know that I've blown myself up by shoving something up my ass.

he promised all would die, in the end, the worst guy, the one who was most responsable, Lived, not to mention denzel had the upper hand, he had the guys Pregnant Wife, and his brother, the last seen of the movie shold have been that car filled with all the bad guys and the dieing denzel blowing up, It would have been a perfect movie.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]

One thing I will say about Creasy, that man could soak up some bullets and keep on trucking.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing that could have been better is at the end, since he knew he was going to die, he should have had one of thoese "special" butt bombs and blew up that car as they drove away.

That would have sucked.  I would rather die in piece than know that I've blown myself up by shoving something up my ass.

he promised all would die, in the end, the worst guy, the one who was most responsable, Lived, not to mention denzel had the upper hand, he had the guys Pregnant Wife, and his brother, the last seen of the movie shold have been that car filled with all the bad guys and the dieing denzel blowing up, It would have been a perfect movie.

Actually the worst guy died the interpol cop shoots him in a raid.  I think it is the final scene.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, like if he had paged himself...ya know to blow up the C4 that he keesterd in his butt...LOL
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
damn this sounds good, I wonder when its gonna be over here
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I read this book years ago.  Curious, I rented the movie today and watched it.  I actually liked it, even though it deviates from the book a great deal.  In the book, Creasy was a former Foreign Legion soldier and as I recall the story took place in Italy(?).  All said though, I thought the movie was very well done.  It set up the whole "flawed hero/redemption/revenge" plot very well.  The violence is shown in all its' ugliness, and tended to make me a little uncomfortable;  Which is exactly what it should do.  The acting is fantastic, particularly the child actress who played "Pita".

My favorite line from the flick:

"A man can be an artist at anything.  Creasy's art is death.  He's about to paint his masterpiece."
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump for more opinions.............

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Saw it on DVD this week. The wife and I rated it very highly. Two thumbs up from us (and my wife does not usually enjoy "shoot-'em-up" movies).  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
damn this sounds good, I wonder when its gonna be over here

Dude, do what most of the world seems to do - get a "region free" DVD player and order it from the states!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Unless you freeze frame, you have no idea what his credentials are. They go on and on about how bad he is, but never tell you why. There is one blurb about "11 years in counter-terrorism" but that's not really that descriptive.

No vest?

I liked the movie... some small things bothered me.  like the lack of body armor and the ending - I thought he went out like a punk.

My wife slapped me in the theater when I blurted out "If he's such a professional why doesn't he have any body-armor."

Are there any deleted scenes or alternate ending on the DVD?

Maybe a possible collapse lung wound from the previous shootout convinced Creasy not to wear it or that maybe it's uncomfortable to wear it?  Don't know.

Since he did try to shoot himself in the head in the beginning, I'm thinking maybe he wasn't too concerned about death. Or maybe, since it's a MOVIE, body armor wasn't really a good idea since, (a) He would not have been seriously injured, therefore the kidnappers wouldn't have made it out with the girl, causing the plot of the movie to be screwed, or (b) With body armor, the bad guys would have had to shoot him in the head, causing him to die and screwing up the plot of the movie.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I now know a new use for car lighters.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Great flick.
Seen it twice and will see it again.

ARH

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Great movie.  It think I'll go watch it again.  
I wonder about Christopher Walken's character.  What was his story?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
You know, I went and saw this movie in the theaters.  I left very emotional.  I own it on DVD.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
i can't find the scott glen version on netflix.  same name?  available on dvd?

guy tried to off himself.  body armor?  you're shittin me, right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I read this book years ago.  Curious, I rented the movie today and watched it.  I actually liked it, even though it deviates from the book a great deal.  In the book, Creasy was a former Foreign Legion soldier and as I recall the story took place in Italy(?).

A made-for-cable version was made in the mid-1980's and was filmed in Italy.
I read recently that director wanted to stay true to the book, but every location he liked in Italy was used in the earlier version, so he moved it to Mexico, where kidnapping is a daily occurance.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#21]
why did Denzel have to die in the end?  I dont remember the ending much, but I clearly remember feeling odd about it.  He got the girl back and then willingly let the other side take him?  why not get the girl to safety and grab the AR or whatever hidden close by and take the bad guys out?  it's not like he was in the cross hairs of sniper or anything.  it was a dumb ending, no need for this kind of blind bravado.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
The biggest technical error I saw was with the round that misfired... the projectile changed a couple of times.  It went from a copper FMJ to a lead bullet back to a copper FMJ.  Oh well, they always screw SOMETHING up.

Me and my buddy both noticed the Glock's slide locked back when there was no mag in the pistol.  We just looked at each other and said "that was bs".
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw the film this weekend. Excellent. I was really glad to see the little girl make it.

Me and my buddy both noticed the Glock's slide locked back when there was no mag in the pistol. We just looked at each other and said "that was bs".

I noticed this too. I figured he thumbed the slide-stop, as I often do, when there's no mag.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Creasy lives at the end in the book.
Girl is repeatedly raped and killed in the book.

Brutal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Bump for more opinions.............

BUY THE DVD
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This is the movie the Punnisher should have been. slap a black t-shirt with a skull on denzel and it is.  

SPOILER

That is exactly what I was thinking while watching the movie.
And as far as no vest, obviously the man had NOTHING to fear.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
it was a slow movie.............the Punisher was better.

Plot development is tough on those with short attention spans.

After "Gods and Generals" came out, one reviewer complained that the speeches were too long and there was too much time between action scenes.  Pitiful.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:59:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Creasy lives at the end in the book.
Girl is repeatedly raped and killed in the book.

Brutal.

Yeah, like this version would EVER get past the the Governing movie inspectors.

Although I think the movie would have been just as good if not better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

"Gods and Generals"

A damn good movie too!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is the movie the Punnisher should have been. slap a black t-shirt with a skull on denzel and it is.  

SPOILER

That is exactly what I was thinking while watching the movie.
And as far as no vest, obviously the man had NOTHING to fear.

Im with you after watching both Man on Fire was much better and carried off the revenge idea better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Watched it for the first time last night.
Awesome flick, now to read the book.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top