BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shit take.

A handgun has qualities that a rifle does not have, the two aren't comparable. If you could get something smaller and lighter than a G19 that shoots a cartridge with the terminal ballistics and limited penetration of 5.56 (it penetrates fewer layers of sheetrock than 9mm) then a 9mm handgun would be pointless.

A 9mm carbine that's heavier and bulkier than a 5.56 carbine is just inferior. Doesn't mean that it won't work but it's just worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GD: A 9mm handgun is a respectable home defense choice.

Also GD: 9mm out of a PCC ain't nuttin-butta range toy.

Shit take.

A handgun has qualities that a rifle does not have, the two aren't comparable. If you could get something smaller and lighter than a G19 that shoots a cartridge with the terminal ballistics and limited penetration of 5.56 (it penetrates fewer layers of sheetrock than 9mm) then a 9mm handgun would be pointless.

A 9mm carbine that's heavier and bulkier than a 5.56 carbine is just inferior. Doesn't mean that it won't work but it's just worse.

What? A full-size mp5 is still smaller and more maneuverable than a mk18, a k variant even more so.
People are vastly underrating the option of an effectively suppressed weapon in most non military scenarios, and the ability to use effective expanding ammunition in something “pistol caliber”

Lol at “op-for” and “use case” is the stupidest goddamn gunbro nerd expression in existence.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For the past 15 years or so, my night stand has a SBS, Revolver and a subgun. About two years ago, I bought a FA double push pin MP5 and a SP5 at the same time. Ironically, the SP5 has never been shot or loaded, just stays in the safe. The FA MP5 replaces my prior FA Micro uzi as the the nightstand Subgun.

The Micro is at the raged edge of stove-piping when running +p ammo. When running hotter ammo such as HST +P, the rate of fire is about 1800-1900/minute. Certain mags just don't have the spring strength to feed that rate of fire and will stove-pipe towards the last few rounds in the mag (when spring is extended). If you run regular pressure ammo such as the standard HST, it feeds just fine and runs about 1500-1600 rpm. Never had an issue with the non +P stuff, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling as an HD gun. What happens when I keep the mags loaded for years at a time? Will it weaken the spring enough to cause a FTF when I need it most? etc...

With the MP5, it runs around 800 rpm and I've not had a single FTF in 1500 FA rounds using all sorts of ammo. Just keeps chugging along. I put a Surfire light on it and replaced the micro's spot. The SBS is a custom 10" 12GA Saiga, but I also have a Benelli M4 14" Entry model under the bed. The revolver is a plain jane Zastava Model 83, 4" 357. It sits on top of the dresser. The SP5 I originally bought as a parts gun for the MP5, mainly for its barrel. Original plan was to replace the MP5s HK94 barrel with it and swap in a B&T barrel into the SP5. However, running the Surefire forend, I can't utilize the 3lug. I love the Surefire more than running a suppressor, so I've decided to leave the barrel as is and SBR the SP5. The SP5 would just be a range toy. I have a handfull of M16s and probably two dozen AR15 SBRs in the safe, but I've never once dedicated one as a nightstand gun. Most are have a 10-12" barrel, but by the time you slap on a suppressor, you're looking at 18-20" "barrel". Too much overall length IMO. Run them non suppressed and you'll have a concussion. If I'm going to use something that will give me a concussion, I'm going to go all-out and grab the 10" SBS with a 12X shell drum.

https://i.imgur.com/RzQBAbl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U8vBTut.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zOwzoAB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LNIKavw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6te8daW.jpg

View Quote
Is your Micro a .45?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why would you not grab the suppressed gun that will not blow out your ear drums when you shoot it indoors with 147gr gold dots? The only thing that is better is a 300 with properly loaded subsonics.
View Quote

So my response just posted.  Agree on the 300blk.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If they were <$600 they be more common.

Small, compact and economical to shoot.

But full auto are $$$ and not enough clones like AR’s to keep price points down.

They remind me of #1 buckshot flight control vicious cycle by federal.

They didn’t make it as they thought there is no market for it.
But there is no market for it because they don’t make it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I really want a KAC rail but I always seem to miss when they do a "limited" run and i'm not paying $1200 on gunbroker lol. I'll probably just get a B&T and call it a day.
View Quote
@crownvic96

If you can stomach a Chinese clone, the one I bought was damn near identical and works great.  Just a few minor differences.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you pull a tactical waifu, good for you, but not every woman wants to be GI Jane. I tend to shy away from larger PCCs and only buy compacts, but his points do make sense to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Infantilizing fighting age females is what food does

If you pull a tactical waifu, good for you, but not every woman wants to be GI Jane. I tend to shy away from larger PCCs and only buy compacts, but his points do make sense to me.

I served with some pretty worthless females before retiring and don't recall meating one that couldn't run an M4. Civilian women could suck at channeling their survival instinct but it's more likely most just go through the motions to please their mate.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it's still a big pistol and not of much use getting in and out of the target area.
View Quote

Understood.  

But I don’t have one for infiltrating hostile territory and assaulting a building to take down a HVT.

I have one because its a light recoiling shoulder fired gun my 5’ 1” wife can shoot easily.

And because they are fucking fun to shoot.

But if OP is looking for “utility”, ability to arm wife and kids at home if I’m away is high on my list of “why”.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

4506 or 1006 on the desk ?

Look a bit thick to be a 5906. Also can’t see shot on my phone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

4506 or 1006 on the desk ?

Look a bit thick to be a 5906. Also can’t see shot on my phone.

5906. My first auto. I was on a stainless kick for some time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Understood.  

But I don’t have one for infiltrating hostile territory and assaulting a building to take down a HVT.

I have one because its a light recoiling shoulder fired gun my 5’ 1” wife can shoot easily.

And because they are fucking fun to shoot.

But if OP is looking for “utility”, ability to arm wife and kids at home if I’m away is high on my list of “why”.

https://i.imgur.com/R9vlspK.jpg
View Quote

Have the longer version of the same can on mine....super quiet!
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Meanwhile here is a non-MP5/clone owner in action:

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an HK SP89 converted to MP5k-N by TSC Machine and I’ve been very pleased with it. Very quiet and reliable with my wolfman. Interestingly not very reliable with my Omega 9.

I’m tempted to get an HK SP5 or HK94 and convert it. I definitely wouldn’t feel under gunned indoors with an HK.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is a backpack gun for me.

Odd the MP5 and AR15 have both been around since the 60s and we're just now realizing the AR is superior.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/563643/IMG_9834-3052568.jpg
View Quote
@geriatricpollywog

Good looking firearm.  Is that a KAC rail under the covers?  And did you SBR/is that a stock?  I too am thinking of making my short/K model more of a backpack gun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can’t solve your problems with an MP-5 it’s a you problem.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@geriatricpollywog

Good looking firearm.  Is that a KAC rail under the covers?  And did you SBR/is that a stock?  I too am thinking of making my short/K model more of a backpack gun.
View Quote

Thanks, yes that is a KAC and it is SBRd with an HK UMP stock. The full size SP5 fits perfectly into my GoRuck GR1, so I imagine a K would fit into an even smaller backpack.

I’d love to have an SP5K PDW but I just spent $3K on a SCAR.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is your Micro a .45?
View Quote

No, it's 9mm. It's was converted to FA by LaFrance Specialties. It uses an open bolt instead of a closedbolt. Converting a close bolt to 45 is very easy. Just mag, bolt and barrel. However, I don't think I've ever seen a Micro openbolt in 45 though. LaFrance made about 10 of these for Hollywood in 1985. I have two of them. One without a stock, which is how they came because stocks were not available before the 1986 MG ban. My stockless one was used in the movie Invasion USA by Chuck Norris. I've left it stockless for that reason. It is dangerous to shoot without a stock. You have to have superhuman strength like Chuck Norris to safely handle a pistol transferring 12,000+ftlbs of energy every second. I've always wanted to get Chuck Norris to sign it and cross out "9mm", and put "roundhouse kick" with a paint pen. Maybe one day I will.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well what do they approve of? CQB with a suppressed 338 Lapua? Got to be sure that you can punch through the home invaders Level 4 plates?
View Quote
It's Javelin missile or surrender for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Like shotguns and revolvers, an MP5 can be an effective tool in the hands of someone with the ability run it well - there are just better choices in the modern world.
View Quote

If it is all you have, it will work, but realistically, it serves NO practical purpose.

Modern 9mm pcc are smaller lighter and cheaper.
Modern carbines can be approx same size, slightly heavier, and a world more effective

Cost of even a clone is excessive for a "work gun", optics mounting is a special pain.

So, yeah, zero practical purpose.
(I own two, a K and full size)
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I do not get the PCC hate. I would have zero problem grabbing my suppressed SP5 or AP5 PDW for home defense. All but one of my lowers are SBR ready but 5.56mm SBR inside is going to ring your bell. Stopping power? 9mm has been stacking bodies for more than a century with ball ammo alone and not the good stuff. I have a light, sling, and red dot if needed to engage. Better than a pistol in almost every way. The only reason it is not by my bedpost is because I have little ones running around.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I use mine for HD. It’s an MP5k SBR with a suppressor on the three lug. It’s a smaller package than any 10.5 barrel suppressed AR. 9mm is undoubtedly superior to 5.56 for blast and concussion in rooms and hallways. 30 rounds of 147gr hollow point is enough for even the meanest of crackheads (I assume that b&e crackheads can’t afford armor).
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#21]
If needing a purpose was a criteria for me, I’d own far fewer guns then I do.  Current HD long gun is 14.5” Noveske build and a Glock 19 with RMR for the hand gun option.  Back up but unlikely to be grabbed is a 14” 590A1 SBS.  

I also own three MP5 variants, a full-size AP5 SBR, an SP5K-PDW SBR, and a full-size SP5 on order.  I love MP5’s, they are a ton of fun to shoot.  I’d estimate I’ve got a little over 2000 rounds through the AP5.  It’s also the primary suppressor host form my Obsidian 9.  It goes with me every range trip.  I can’t say I take any other gun I own with the same consistency.  

So for me, MP5’s are owned for the enjoyment.  They’re fun to own and a pleasure to shoot.  Especially with ammo prices, I shoot a lot more 9mm and far less 5.56 and 7.62x39.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No, it's 9mm. It's was converted to FA by LaFrance Specialties. It uses an open bolt instead of a closedbolt. Converting a close bolt to 45 is very easy. Just mag, bolt and barrel. However, I don't think I've ever seen a Micro openbolt in 45 though. LaFrance made about 10 of these for Hollywood in 1985. I have two of them. One without a stock, which is how they came because stocks were not available before the 1986 MG ban. My stockless one was used in the movie Invasion USA by Chuck Norris. I've left it stockless for that reason. It is dangerous to shoot without a stock. You have to have superhuman strength like Chuck Norris to safely handle a pistol transferring 12,000+ftlbs of energy every second. I've always wanted to get Chuck Norris to sign it and cross out "9mm", and put "roundhouse kick" with a paint pen. Maybe one day I will.

https://i.imgur.com/gwbewlb.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is your Micro a .45?

https://i.imgur.com/gwbewlb.jpg

Sweet

And very cool backstory

the Mini stock has always been just a little short for me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For those that have one, what role does it serve other than a safe queen or range toy??

I have one.  It's usually wearing a silencer.  However, in the year or so I've had it, I've shot it once and then mostly fondle it when watching 80's action movies.  Other than that, it stands guard in my office.  But if someone were to break in, I'd most likely grab the AR that stands right next to it.  The MP5 is heavier, bulkier, shoots a less powerful round, I only have three mags for it.  Hell, I don't even have a red dot or sling on it.  I'm not contemplating selling it.  But do these have more use than I'm seeing?

Thanks!
View Quote

For me it's just an iconic firearm to own a clone of.

I really don't shoot that much these days, maybe once a year, and am slowly getting rid of almost everything.  The SP5 will be one of the last to go and it may end up never leaving my possession because it is such a neat firearm to own
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
For most it’s a range toy nowadays. It can be put into service if needed and I’m certain I’ll be good to go, but why when there are better tools now. MP5 weight and ergo sucks, but I still enjoy them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do not get the PCC hate. I would have zero problem grabbing my suppressed SP5 or AP5 PDW for home defense. All but one of my lowers are SBR ready but 5.56mm SBR inside is going to ring your bell. Stopping power? 9mm has been stacking bodies for more than a century with ball ammo alone and not the good stuff. I have a light, sling, and red dot if needed to engage. Better than a pistol in almost every way. The only reason it is not by my bedpost is because I have little ones running around.
View Quote
Right, this is where GD can't do critical thinking

1. 9mm is a great CCW pistol, smaller is always better, more better is bigger mags with more 9mm
  2. Bedside Glock 17 9mm with mega mag (sorry, not a Glock owner) is ultimate HD nightstand pistol
  3. Full size Glock 9 mm is my go to pistol in my kit, after my 300 SBR or 5.56 SBR/M4.
  4. My (insert alternative PCC brands/models) PCC runs great, its my go to HD gun....
  5. MP5's are range toys.

ETA: For me, my go to HD weapon is the MK18 SBR under the bed.  Full size M&P 9mm on war belt.  Love it, feel comfortable I can deal with any realistic threat/protect family.  But, its not suppressed (need to address asap when funding allows), I have my electronic hearing protection availably, but realize in the middle of the night its going to be a struggle and kicking off a few rounds of MK262 unsuppressed out of a 11.3" barrel indoors is going to moment no one will forget....But most of all, I need to get my wife & kids more involved in HD as I get older and they get more independent (more trigger pullers)...with the realization that I've already had the oldest shooting an AR and will continue to train, promote and ensure they all know how to run an AR and every other weapon I plan to pass along to them.  Unfortunatly, they likely will need them the way this country is going.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If needing a purpose was a criteria for me, I’d own far fewer guns then I do.  Current HD long gun is 14.5” Noveske build and a Glock 19 with RMR for the hand gun option.  Back up but unlikely to be grabbed is a 14” 590A1 SBS.  

I also own three MP5 variants, a full-size AP5 SBR, an SP5K-PDW SBR, and a full-size SP5 on order.  I love MP5’s, they are a ton of fun to shoot.  I’d estimate I’ve got a little over 2000 rounds through the AP5.  It’s also the primary suppressor host form my Obsidian 9.  It goes with me every range trip.  I can’t say I take any other gun I own with the same consistency.  

So for me, MP5’s are owned for the enjoyment.  They’re fun to own and a pleasure to shoot.  Especially with ammo prices, I shoot a lot more 9mm and far less 5.56 and 7.62x39.

https://i.imgur.com/zYreXs6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4y6cOzn.jpg
View Quote

Great taste in outfitting those. They look superb. Next on my shopping list is a K, and what I've envisioned in my head for accessorizing the fullsize and K is basically what you've done. Those look perfect in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If needing a purpose was a criteria for me, I'd own far fewer guns then I do.  Current HD long gun is 14.5" Noveske build and a Glock 19 with RMR for the hand gun option.  Back up but unlikely to be grabbed is a 14" 590A1 SBS.  

I also own three MP5 variants, a full-size AP5 SBR, an SP5K-PDW SBR, and a full-size SP5 on order.  I love MP5's, they are a ton of fun to shoot.  I'd estimate I've got a little over 2000 rounds through the AP5.  It's also the primary suppressor host form my Obsidian 9.  It goes with me every range trip.  I can't say I take any other gun I own with the same consistency.  

So for me, MP5's are owned for the enjoyment.  They're fun to own and a pleasure to shoot.  Especially with ammo prices, I shoot a lot more 9mm and far less 5.56 and 7.62x39.

View Quote
@HD2006

Great looking guns, love the setups.  When you get a moment, could you share specs/mods?  That KAC rail looks awesome.  I'm a sucker for quad-rail, esp KAC....on most of my AR's.  Except for the ones I lost in the boating accident.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a full auto MPK and it is my favorite gun to shoot period. I prefer it over an M16.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@HD2006

Great looking guns, love the setups.  When you get a moment, could you share specs/mods?  That KAC rail looks awesome.  I'm a sucker for quad-rail, esp KAC....on most of my AR's.  Except for the ones I lost in the boating accident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If needing a purpose was a criteria for me, I'd own far fewer guns then I do.  Current HD long gun is 14.5" Noveske build and a Glock 19 with RMR for the hand gun option.  Back up but unlikely to be grabbed is a 14" 590A1 SBS.  

I also own three MP5 variants, a full-size AP5 SBR, an SP5K-PDW SBR, and a full-size SP5 on order.  I love MP5's, they are a ton of fun to shoot.  I'd estimate I've got a little over 2000 rounds through the AP5.  It's also the primary suppressor host form my Obsidian 9.  It goes with me every range trip.  I can't say I take any other gun I own with the same consistency.  

So for me, MP5's are owned for the enjoyment.  They're fun to own and a pleasure to shoot.  Especially with ammo prices, I shoot a lot more 9mm and far less 5.56 and 7.62x39.

@HD2006

@NukeThemTillTheyGlow

The full size pictured is an AP5, specs are:
- KAC MP5 RAS handguard with KAC VFG
- HK A3F stock
- HK FBI ambi trigger group
- B&T Universal optic mount p/n BT-21262-1
- Aimpoint CompM3 4MOA w/ADM low QD mount
- GSL Technology smooth thread protector

The other is an SP5K-PDW
- HK VFG handguard
- HK MP5K UMP folding stock
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@NukeThemTillTheyGlow

- HK A3F stock

The other is an SP5K-PDW
- HK VFG handguard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@HD2006

@NukeThemTillTheyGlow

- HK A3F stock

The other is an SP5K-PDW
- HK VFG handguard
Thank you!  Great setups.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Like shotguns and revolvers, an MP5 can be an effective tool in the hands of someone with the ability run it well - there are just better choices in the modern world.
View Quote

Why is this so often repeated? It seems common that people relegate the MP5 to being an obsolete design. I just don’t understand the reasoning.

Compared to a “modern” design like the MPX, the only real advantage is a pic rail and bolt hold open (that the mp5/10 also has). I personally don’t care for the MPX charging handle and prefer the MP5 system. I also don’t see the paddle mag release as any sort of hindrance. I feel the ergos are pretty great on an mp5. I believe the roller delayed blowback is also superior to a piston design (MPX) in an SMG. Both systems are superior to simple blowback which is typical of other modern designs like the scorpion or UMP.

There’s so many great optic mounting options for MP5’s, I don’t see the pic rail as a big advantage either.

Nobody knocks the p90 for not having a pic rail or bolt hold open
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've read you need to change out the extractor springs every 500rds on an mp5.  That the issues you're referring to?
View Quote

Not sure where that info came from?  I have shot more than 500 rounds in one range sitting.  And that was FA on a military MP5SD.

Never done maintenance on one and never read anything about them so I have no idea.  Maybe @ 5000 rounds but I doubt that even happens to the ones I was using.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
FN P90 is better in every way and I'm tired of pretending it's not.

My mp5 is a toy. A fun toy but a toy.
View Quote

Except it the P90 is a bullpup nerd and has an abhorrent trigger. My shooting buddy is a bullpup and has a P90. I’ve spent a lot of time shooting his and wouldn’t take one for free unless I could turn around and sell it. Also, the ammo isn’t common to shit. With an mp5 you can find 9mm everywhere. So the P90 ain’t better in every way. OH and the P90 suppresses like shit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've read you need to change out the extractor springs every 500rds on an mp5.  That the issues you're referring to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never ever had a scorpion issue in thousands of rounds.

Can't say even close to the same for my mp5s.
Maybe I just got lemons

I’ve got a scorpion and an an MP5 and I’ve put probably close to 3000 rounds through both and haven’t really had any issues with either. I’m trying to think of specific malfunctions, I’m sure I’ve had at least something but nothing is coming to mind.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I have an MP5 SBR with a silencer and red dot and pretty much use it as you described. It's a great range toy, cool as hell, but it wouldn't be the first weapon I'd grab. That being said, there are far worse weapons to bring to a fight than an MP5.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How'd you get a light on it??
View Quote

HK parts pic rail mount.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Pic-rail-mount-for-front-sight-tower/9-545528/
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#37]
PCCs are dumb. Full stop.

Someone has to come out and say it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#38]
they are valid.  

I have a H&K Mp-5A3, and 2 MKE AP-5ps.  My home defense rig is one of the AP-5p's with a Silencerco Omega 9K mounted on it.  No flash at all in a dark room.  I would not want to be on the receiving end.  

Try shooting an M4 and a silenced Mp-5 inside a pitch black room.  I have.  That is WHY I chose the Mp-5 platform for home defense
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For the past 15 years or so, my night stand has a SBS, Revolver and a subgun. About two years ago, I bought a FA double push pin MP5 and a SP5 at the same time. Ironically, the SP5 has never been shot or loaded, just stays in the safe. The FA MP5 replaces my prior FA Micro uzi as the the nightstand Subgun.

The Micro is at the raged edge of stove-piping when running +p ammo. When running hotter ammo such as HST +P, the rate of fire is about 1800-1900/minute. Certain mags just don't have the spring strength to feed that rate of fire and will stove-pipe towards the last few rounds in the mag (when spring is extended). If you run regular pressure ammo such as the standard HST, it feeds just fine and runs about 1500-1600 rpm. Never had an issue with the non +P stuff, but it still gives me an uneasy feeling as an HD gun. What happens when I keep the mags loaded for years at a time? Will it weaken the spring enough to cause a FTF when I need it most? etc...

With the MP5, it runs around 800 rpm and I've not had a single FTF in 1500 FA rounds using all sorts of ammo. Just keeps chugging along. I put a Surfire light on it and replaced the micro's spot. The SBS is a custom 10" 12GA Saiga, but I also have a Benelli M4 14" Entry model under the bed. The revolver is a plain jane Zastava Model 83, 4" 357. It sits on top of the dresser. The SP5 I originally bought as a parts gun for the MP5, mainly for its barrel. Original plan was to replace the MP5s HK94 barrel with it and swap in a B&T barrel into the SP5. However, running the Surefire forend, I can't utilize the 3lug. I love the Surefire more than running a suppressor, so I've decided to leave the barrel as is and SBR the SP5. The SP5 would just be a range toy. I have a handfull of M16s and probably two dozen AR15 SBRs in the safe, but I've never once dedicated one as a nightstand gun. Most are have a 10-12" barrel, but by the time you slap on a suppressor, you're looking at 18-20" "barrel". Too much overall length IMO. Run them non suppressed and you'll have a concussion. If I'm going to use something that will give me a concussion, I'm going to go all-out and grab the 10" SBS with a 12X shell drum.

https://i.imgur.com/RzQBAbl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U8vBTut.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zOwzoAB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LNIKavw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6te8daW.jpg

View Quote

You know you get an offset for the surefire light which will enable you to use the 3 lug?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I like using my AP5-P for long car trips and traveling.  It folds up tiny, has 30 rounds of gold dot or HST, and an RMR.  I can mag dump into a 10" plate at 25yrds with it, so I figure it's a big step up from my G17.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
PCCs are dumb. Full stop.

Someone has to come out and say it.
View Quote
Quiet you.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like using my AP5-P for long car trips and traveling.  It folds up tiny, has 30 rounds of gold dot or HST, and an RMR.  I can mag dump into a 10" plate at 25yrds with it, so I figure it's a big step up from my G17.
View Quote

Question for you guys using  your MP5’s in a defensive role.  Do you keep it loaded with a round chambered? I only ask because I’m used to keeping the chamber empty on long guns (like an AR for example) with a loaded mag inserted.  The battery of arms being what they are on the MP5 would normally have you lock the bolt open before inserting the mag.  It can be very difficult to insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt.  

Just curious as I’ve been thinking about pressing mine into an HD role.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Question for you guys using  your MP5’s in a defensive role.  Do you keep it loaded with a round chambered? I only ask because I’m used to keeping the chamber empty on long guns (like an AR for example) with a loaded mag inserted.  The battery of arms being what they are on the MP5 would normally have you lock the bolt open before inserting the mag.  It can be very difficult to insert a loaded mag on a closed bolt.  

View Quote

I don’t use an MP5 for a defensive role, don’t even own one, but carried an SD for many years.  You can insert a magazine on a closed bolt the same as with an AR.  Similar to an AR, when the magazine is full it may require more force to seat and lock.  The answer to that problem is to back off a round or two.  However, loading it from an open bolt is the common way.

For reloads it is common to use “back, off, on, forward” or “off, back, on, forward.”  There are good arguments for either.  For reloads, the first is more efficient.  For malfunctions and unloading, the latter is better.  Malfunctions, like a double feed, are “off, back, back, back, on, forward.”  Unloading is “off, back.”  By using “off, back, on, forward” as your standard you kind of get all three things (reload, malf, unload) using the same technique.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's probably one of the best HD guns you can get, if such gun is to be used by all members of your household and not just you.

Women, girls and boys have a lot less strength in their hands and forearms, and an AR type rifle is too unwieldy for them to master in terms of manual of arms.

Ask a 13 year old girl to lock the action back on an AR (as if to clear a double feed) and you'll see.

They also aren't going to be very much into shooting your 10.25" AR with a suppressor, and having the gas exploding in their face with every pull of the trigger. Which means they'll shoot it, but they'll want to stop pretty quickly.

Now try an MP5.  

They can lock it open easily, and with authority. They'll also shoot it all gawddam day too, increasing familiarity and building skill and muscle memory.

And they'll be combat effective with it in 1/10 the time it would take with a pistol.

Unless you fear the Spetsnaz conducting entry into your house, you aren't going to be outgunned with 30 rounds of good quality carry ammo in the gun, and another one right behind it in a double mag clip.

View Quote

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#46]

my man! this is under my desk..

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#47]

You paid the $800 for binary?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use Hk mags when using mine in a serious role, and haven't had an issue seating a loaded mag under a closed bolt. I keep mine chamber empty, loaded mag inserted, bolt forward.
Eta- if it's in a case. I keep it chambered. But it's usually just stuffed under the seat.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a FA MP5K.

I've killed coyotes with it in the dark using a RMR and Surefire 300V. ;)

I also have a FA Mk46 but thats a whole other thing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#50]
The mp5 and subguns in general have been replaced by 5.56 SBRs. Mk18 is same size but can penetrate soft body armor and can engaged targets out to 300-400 yards
Page / 7
Top Top